Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do family members or friends think you should stop playing the lottery?

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Ronnie316.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
11986 Posts
Posted: March 27, 2013, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if other people like myself have their family members or friends continue to tell you to stop playing the lottery. My daughter really thinks I'm obsessed with the lottery. Last weekend I wanted to buy one scratch ticket because we were in another town and she wouldn't let up, so I didn't buy one. I'm not buying lottery tickets daily but will fully admit that I buy PB, MM and occasionally Mass Cash tickets. I also buy scratch tickets but have cut down on my spending. My feeling has always been as long as my bills are paid and I have money for essentials then it should be my business if I want to play. I've mentioned many times that I started playing regularly almost 3 years ago but never let it get to the point of spending what I don't have on the lottery. I understand the meaning behind people like my daughter telling me not to play (she thinks I will never win and it's a total waste of money). Now I tell my daughter that if I win someday does that mean you do not want to benefit from the win, lol?

You can spend $1 or $2 per year on the lottery.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: March 27, 2013, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

You can spend $1 or $2 per year on the lottery.

Words of truth and wisdom that are undeniable, thank you THRIFTY.  Cheers

Your presence here again is much appreciated.  Thumbs Up

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: March 27, 2013, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!   I like your new avatar!

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
        Member #121745
        January 16, 2012
        4808 Posts
        Posted: March 27, 2013, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

No family, but i wish my friends would stop asking me for money Crying

Then they are probably not your true friends.

J'aime La France.

United States
          Member #121745
          January 16, 2012
          4808 Posts
          Posted: March 27, 2013, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if other people like myself have their family members or friends continue to tell you to stop playing the lottery. My daughter really thinks I'm obsessed with the lottery. Last weekend I wanted to buy one scratch ticket because we were in another town and she wouldn't let up, so I didn't buy one. I'm not buying lottery tickets daily but will fully admit that I buy PB, MM and occasionally Mass Cash tickets. I also buy scratch tickets but have cut down on my spending. My feeling has always been as long as my bills are paid and I have money for essentials then it should be my business if I want to play. I've mentioned many times that I started playing regularly almost 3 years ago but never let it get to the point of spending what I don't have on the lottery. I understand the meaning behind people like my daughter telling me not to play (she thinks I will never win and it's a total waste of money). Now I tell my daughter that if I win someday does that mean you do not want to benefit from the win, lol?

There is an old adage or saying that  if you want a specific answer to a question, frame the question in a way to get the response you want (which is what you did here).  Again, based on your past posts, the issue is not whether you can afford to play but why you continue when you say it creates feelings of sadness, dejection, etc.  THIS IS WHAT YOUR FAMILY IS CONCERNED ABOUT, so let's be honest. I really wish you would talk to a skilled professional. Something is not right here and I hope you get some assistance. I am not going to pat you on the head and mislead you and say you will win someday because that is not adding any value or giving you an honest and helpful response.

J'aime La France.

United States
            Member #111442
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Posted: March 27, 2013, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!   I like your new avatar!

Thanks for the compliment, it was time for a change. See Ya!

PipSqueek's avatar - winter
              Ohio
              United States
              Member #140280
              March 15, 2013
              179 Posts
              Posted: March 27, 2013, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

I feel kind of guilty for playing like I'm doing something bad or wrong.

Also I found out some bad news today financial.

My insurance has denied covering my iron treatments I had back in November.

So I have a doctor bill to pay of $698.00 ouch and any more treatments I have to take will be $400 upfront. I automatically thought it was punishment because I've been playing the lottery.

On the other hand I'd rather win a little cash playing to help out with that bill and any further treatments.

Let's face it money stress is no fun either way.

It seems like everyone deals with it on some level here and there.

My real feeling is if you can supplement your income or lack of with things like the lottery why not?

It's just that guilt based Christian upbringing that makes me feel I'm doing something wrong.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                Nova Scotia
                Canada
                Member #9934
                December 27, 2004
                885 Posts
                Posted: March 27, 2013, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

I have had negative people try to talk me out of buying tickets, I figure they are so miserable with their own lives, they want everybody else to be the same way..

I was raised Catholic, and I don't care what anybody say's, if I feel inclined to buy a ticket, then darn it, you bet I'll buy one..

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: March 28, 2013, 9:32 am - IP Logged

There is an old adage or saying that  if you want a specific answer to a question, frame the question in a way to get the response you want (which is what you did here).  Again, based on your past posts, the issue is not whether you can afford to play but why you continue when you say it creates feelings of sadness, dejection, etc.  THIS IS WHAT YOUR FAMILY IS CONCERNED ABOUT, so let's be honest. I really wish you would talk to a skilled professional. Something is not right here and I hope you get some assistance. I am not going to pat you on the head and mislead you and say you will win someday because that is not adding any value or giving you an honest and helpful response.

Hi Artist77,

I thank you for your concern.  The sadness and dejection you speak of by playing can be a common feeling when one doesn't win.  In terms of my speaking to a skilled professional I have tried therapy in the past for my depression/anxiety but never was able to make progress. Does playing the lottery make my depression worse, it's really hard to say. In some ways it's the one thing I seem to look forward to when I pick up a scratch ticket or play a draw game. I'm not expecting you to say that I will win someday. I'm fully aware that the odds are stacked against a big win (also I'm prone to bad luck in life as I stated in a previous post). When work and my personal life are getting me down, it brightens my day to have my little day dreams of what it would feel like to win something big. I've always been a realist so know that it really is nothing more than a pipe dream (but such a nice dream).

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                    Nova Scotia
                    Canada
                    Member #9934
                    December 27, 2004
                    885 Posts
                    Posted: March 28, 2013, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

But, I also look forward to lottery days.. If I can afford to buy a ticket, then i will.. I also enjoy saving my money; and as I said before don't let the negative people out there  discourage your dream of winning the lottery..

You know the saying, you can't win, if you don't buy a ticket..

But budget what you can afford to spend for the lottery and I wish you the best!Party

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                      United States
                      Member #130213
                      July 9, 2012
                      387 Posts
                      Posted: March 28, 2013, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I have always taken the advice of my grandma who said, "Stay away from the bottle as its a sure loser; in gambling you at least has a chance to win". 

I also have family who once in a while talks me away from gambling further. I tend to appreciate their concern.

bjones$'s avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                        PA
                        United States
                        Member #139665
                        February 28, 2013
                        325 Posts
                        Posted: March 28, 2013, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

my husband thinks I should stop playing the lottery because I haven't won anything much so far.Disapprove

Make that $$$

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: March 28, 2013, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

my husband thinks I should stop playing the lottery because I haven't won anything much so far.Disapprove

How much money per week are you playing, that he can't wait a little longer for your ship to come in.  What?

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4808 Posts
                            Posted: March 28, 2013, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

Hi Artist77,

I thank you for your concern.  The sadness and dejection you speak of by playing can be a common feeling when one doesn't win.  In terms of my speaking to a skilled professional I have tried therapy in the past for my depression/anxiety but never was able to make progress. Does playing the lottery make my depression worse, it's really hard to say. In some ways it's the one thing I seem to look forward to when I pick up a scratch ticket or play a draw game. I'm not expecting you to say that I will win someday. I'm fully aware that the odds are stacked against a big win (also I'm prone to bad luck in life as I stated in a previous post). When work and my personal life are getting me down, it brightens my day to have my little day dreams of what it would feel like to win something big. I've always been a realist so know that it really is nothing more than a pipe dream (but such a nice dream).

Well I see I am hitting my head against a brick wall here.  Sadness and dejection over not winning the lottery is NOT A COMMON FEELING when one does not win. Good luck to you.  I think you have some serious issues but some people cannot be helped. I am done here.

J'aime La France.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                              u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19911 Posts
                              Posted: March 28, 2013, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

see there mcginnin56 you can get it all here Love + Lottery+ the therapy you need Crazy

Let it Snow Snowman