Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Has anyone ever worked for a Lottery?

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 4 years ago by d1nnl2.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #121745
January 16, 2012
4784 Posts
Posted: March 28, 2013, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

I sent in an application for employment at the Massachusetts State Lotter today by mail. I will also send one by email. too. It is for a customer service rep position at the Lottery office in Woburn, MA which is close to my home. I applied for the same job last year around the same time but they werent interested in me. It is a job that I am qualified for. Most of the other jobs I am not qualified for and would have no chance getting. I will be 24 next month and I currently work at a Dunkin Donuts and been here for 5 years now. I would love to leave. Most times Im ashamed to say I work there. Thats why I play the lottery so I can quit. Being employed by the lottery would be the next best thing. According to the salary they pay on the job description, I would make more than double what I make at Dunkin Donuts full time in a year which would be amazing for me.

Good luck but I think you may have an uphill battle. Don't you assume state lottery employees on occasion visit this site?  You gave out some info that would easily allow them to figure out who you are and you badmouthed your current employer.  One of the big concerns for people your age is appropriate use of social media.

Just a suggestion:

1.) Educate yourself on the importance and reason for social media policies and bring it up at the interview (do your research). I hope you have no "party" pics online as well.

2.) Never badmouth a current employer. Dunkin D.  is a major corp. with offices worldwide...just say you have got all you can out of it, stress what you learned, etc.

3.) Research this state lottery. You should spend 4-6 hours educating yourself on what they do (and I do not mean sell tickets)....their initiatives, etc. Employers do not want you to stress how much you want to make at the first interview. They need you to tell them what value YOU bring to the table and what you know about them.

4.) create a professional linkedin profile for your current job.

Good luck.

J'aime La France.

Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #78798
    August 21, 2009
    336 Posts
    Posted: March 28, 2013, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

Good luck but I think you may have an uphill battle. Don't you assume state lottery employees on occasion visit this site?  You gave out some info that would easily allow them to figure out who you are and you badmouthed your current employer.  One of the big concerns for people your age is appropriate use of social media.

Just a suggestion:

1.) Educate yourself on the importance and reason for social media policies and bring it up at the interview (do your research). I hope you have no "party" pics online as well.

2.) Never badmouth a current employer. Dunkin D.  is a major corp. with offices worldwide...just say you have got all you can out of it, stress what you learned, etc.

3.) Research this state lottery. You should spend 4-6 hours educating yourself on what they do (and I do not mean sell tickets)....their initiatives, etc. Employers do not want you to stress how much you want to make at the first interview. They need you to tell them what value YOU bring to the table and what you know about them.

Good luck.

I didnt bad mouth them.

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40299 Posts
      Posted: March 28, 2013, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

Just a suggestion:

Good luck.

Good suggestions, Are you sending him a bill? lol

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23260 Posts
        Posted: March 28, 2013, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

I sent in an application for employment at the Massachusetts State Lotter today by mail. I will also send one by email. too. It is for a customer service rep position at the Lottery office in Woburn, MA which is close to my home. I applied for the same job last year around the same time but they werent interested in me. It is a job that I am qualified for. Most of the other jobs I am not qualified for and would have no chance getting. I will be 24 next month and I currently work at a Dunkin Donuts and been here for 5 years now. I would love to leave. Most times Im ashamed to say I work there. Thats why I play the lottery so I can quit. Being employed by the lottery would be the next best thing. According to the salary they pay on the job description, I would make more than double what I make at Dunkin Donuts full time in a year which would be amazing for me.

Good luck, please let us know how you make out! Thumbs Up

Edit: I just saw some other posts giving you some tips.  Don't worry, everyone just wants to see you do well.  My tip is to stay energetic, friendly, upbeat, and positive.  None of your answers should be "No, I've never done that", or "No, I don't know how to do that," etc.  If there's something you haven't done, then related to something similar that you HAVE done, and explain that and say how one of your positive traits is the ability to learn new things very quickly, and then quickly become productive.  Stay positive!!!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
          Member #121745
          January 16, 2012
          4784 Posts
          Posted: March 28, 2013, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

Good suggestions, Are you sending him a bill? lol

no...it was a one time freebie.

J'aime La France.

United States
            Member #121745
            January 16, 2012
            4784 Posts
            Posted: March 28, 2013, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

Good luck, please let us know how you make out! Thumbs Up

Edit: I just saw some other posts giving you some tips.  Don't worry, everyone just wants to see you do well.  My tip is to stay energetic, friendly, upbeat, and positive.  None of your answers should be "No, I've never done that", or "No, I don't know how to do that," etc.  If there's something you haven't done, then related to something similar that you HAVE done, and explain that and say how one of your positive traits is the ability to learn new things very quickly, and then quickly become productive.  Stay positive!!!

Amen to the positive especially!

J'aime La France.

sully16's avatar - sharan
              Ringleader
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #81740
              October 28, 2009
              40299 Posts
              Posted: March 28, 2013, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

no...it was a one time freebie.

Good Karma coming at you.Party

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4784 Posts
                Posted: March 28, 2013, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

I didnt bad mouth them.

Kiddo...saying you are ashamed to work there is about as low as one can go. Take the advice you were given by one and all and good luck.

J'aime La France.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23260 Posts
                  Posted: March 28, 2013, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

Just a suggestion:

Good luck.

These are all great suggestions! 

Particularly the part about the lottery.  Being a very good lottery player will not earn you the job!  While it is fantastic to say how you are knowledgeable about playing the lottery, the lottery is just a business -- a marketing business.  They want to hire people who work well with others and are friendly and hard-working.

So leave any discussion about how you pick your lottery numbers at home!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                    Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    6290 Posts
                    Posted: March 28, 2013, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

These are all great suggestions! 

Particularly the part about the lottery.  Being a very good lottery player will not earn you the job!  While it is fantastic to say how you are knowledgeable about playing the lottery, the lottery is just a business -- a marketing business.  They want to hire people who work well with others and are friendly and hard-working.

So leave any discussion about how you pick your lottery numbers at home!

I Agree!

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Mamma28z's avatar - phone
                      Lower MI
                      United States
                      Member #94546
                      July 22, 2010
                      247 Posts
                      Posted: March 28, 2013, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

Kiddo...saying you are ashamed to work there is about as low as one can go. Take the advice you were given by one and all and good luck.

He did not say he was ashamed to work there....

Good Luck Genome - Keep us posted !

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #130213
                        July 9, 2012
                        387 Posts
                        Posted: March 28, 2013, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

I worked for several years on various printing presses in Georgia(USA) that produced scratch lottery tickets for numerous country's worldwide.

It was a MOST interesting job.Learned a lot about prize structures, which are not favorable to us lottery players.

This company produced billions of tickets each year on several presses they operated 24/7 including some holidays.

A very lucrative business for state and other world goverment coffers.

Players are generally the LOSER'S playing this game.....................

OMG, you are an angel sent from above. Can you please share more about your old job. Why are the players on the losing end ? We already know that, but can you explain more. 

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                          United States
                          Member #130213
                          July 9, 2012
                          387 Posts
                          Posted: March 28, 2013, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

I worked for several years on various printing presses in Georgia(USA) that produced scratch lottery tickets for numerous country's worldwide.

It was a MOST interesting job.Learned a lot about prize structures, which are not favorable to us lottery players.

This company produced billions of tickets each year on several presses they operated 24/7 including some holidays.

How good are the quality controls ? Can misprints happen ? How do they separate the sets with the TOP PRIZES and distribute them ?

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #130213
                            July 9, 2012
                            387 Posts
                            Posted: March 28, 2013, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

Are the sets with the TOP PRIZES printed separately or together with the rest of the series ?

United States
                              Member #121745
                              January 16, 2012
                              4784 Posts
                              Posted: March 28, 2013, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

He did not say he was ashamed to work there....

Good Luck Genome - Keep us posted !

Mamma you might try improving your reading IQ...let me quote it for you "Most times Im ashamed to say I work there."  And I did not see you taking the time to give any real world advice.

J'aime La France.