Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if l borrowed $5.00 from you and ended up winning the lottery: is it your win as well?

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 4 years ago by onlymoney.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4106 Posts
Posted: April 2, 2013, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Recently a woman " took" her son's $2.00 played the lottery and won- yet he claimed the lottery money resulting from the $2.00  as his.
What if you were on the receiving end of that short stick,  would you consider the word " borrowed" as meaning temporary ownership of that particular $5.00?

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: April 2, 2013, 10:45 am - IP Logged

Recently a woman " took" her son's $2.00 played the lottery and won- yet he claimed the lottery money resulting from the $2.00  as his.
    What if you were on the receiving end of that short stick,  would you consider the word " borrowed" as meaning temporary ownership of that particular $5.00?

Absolutely not LOL...I would payback your "borrowed" $5 back and get on with my life

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: April 2, 2013, 10:47 am - IP Logged

It's 'he said/she said' with those two.

I tend to believe Mama.

But as far as that kind of situation goes, if someone borrowed money from me to play without saying anything, the winnings are theirs. If they mentioned a kickback, they oughta honor it. In no way would I ever consider all or part of the winnings mine unless that was expressly stated beforehand.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6290 Posts
        Posted: April 2, 2013, 11:40 am - IP Logged

If someone borrows money from me and he/she wins the lottery the winnings belongs to him/her. I did not go in the store to purchase the tickets he/she did.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
          Texas
          United States
          Member #92330
          June 5, 2010
          887 Posts
          Posted: April 2, 2013, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

If I let someone borrow a couple bucks and they won millions with it, I'd expect to get a couple bucks in return. Nothing more and nothing less. It wasn't like those couple bucks I gave the guy were worth millions now, and I didn't tell him that I'd get any cut of profits made from the borrowed money (or any of the cheeseburger he may have bought with it instead). Would the son still be arguing what's bought with his stolen money is rightfully his if it was used to buy illegal drugs? I think instead he'd simply want his two dollars back.

I think I've seen this played out in reverse when a group won. A player didn't have cash on them to buy in so the group covered them and when they won they still shared with them. Those types of stories are always better than this one, where people quickly turn on each other.

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7302 Posts
            Posted: April 2, 2013, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

" yet he claimed the lottery money resulting from the $2.00  as his."

Most lotteries probably have a process to determine if the person validating the ticket is the same person that bought it. If they didn't purchase the ticket, they want the person who bought the ticket to verify the transfer. A similar thing happened in Iowa where someone bought Hot Lotto ticket and a lawyer claimed it saying he was representing a Central America trust. Iowa wanted the person who bought the ticket to verify they transferred it before they paid off.

The California women first she said she was to nervous to sign the ticket and fill out the paperwork and then she told the Lottery people she took his $2 and bought the ticket for him. The lottery was satisfied she had purchased the ticket for him, the ticket was his, and issued him the check. Whether or not that's what actually happened, we'll never know because they settled out of court with a stipulation not to discuss the details.

"would you consider the word " borrowed" as meaning temporary ownership of that particular $5.00?"

Borrowing money from someone without their consent can be considered stealing. If someone loaned or gave you $5, it's yours to do whatever you want with it. Neither applies to the California case. Apparently the NJ PB winner "borrowed" money from the child support he wasn't paying and it's possible a suit will be filed on behalf of his children to get a share of or all the winnings.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4106 Posts
              Posted: April 2, 2013, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

If I let someone borrow a couple bucks and they won millions with it, I'd expect to get a couple bucks in return. Nothing more and nothing less. It wasn't like those couple bucks I gave the guy were worth millions now, and I didn't tell him that I'd get any cut of profits made from the borrowed money (or any of the cheeseburger he may have bought with it instead). Would the son still be arguing what's bought with his stolen money is rightfully his if it was used to buy illegal drugs? I think instead he'd simply want his two dollars back.

I think I've seen this played out in reverse when a group won. A player didn't have cash on them to buy in so the group covered them and when they won they still shared with them. Those types of stories are always better than this one, where people quickly turn on each other.

Ttech- since you would be " expecting" some bucks in return, would you consider it fair or not if the person borrowing the money gave you the exact amount back, in other words you told " Tech- here is the $5.00 l borrowed and by the way - thanks again, it came in mighty handy bud"

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #94283
                July 17, 2010
                2284 Posts
                Posted: April 2, 2013, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

If someone borrows $5 from me and loses it in the lottery, should I assume half the loss and accept only $2.50 back as full payment?  No?  Well then I shouldn't expect half of the winnings either.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: April 2, 2013, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

If someone borrows $5 from me and loses it in the lottery, should I assume half the loss and accept only $2.50 back as full payment?  No?  Well then I shouldn't expect half of the winnings either.

Very well put. Thumbs Up

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                    Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    2747 Posts
                    Posted: April 2, 2013, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

If someone borrows $5 and promises to pay me tomorrow and they went and bought tonites MM ticket and won, I am not entitled to any of their jp. I am entitled to only $5. 

If I buy someone a scratch ticket as a gift for helping me jump-start my car and they end up winning $1M, I am not entitled to any of that money. Only a greedy person would think they're entitled.

That money's gone fo ever

moneyrolls313's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                      dearborn mi
                      United States
                      Member #122124
                      January 24, 2012
                      475 Posts
                      Posted: April 2, 2013, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

yup mbecuz if it werent for my 5.00 u would of never played or hit it,so i need my share

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                        Massachusetts
                        United States
                        Member #37433
                        April 14, 2006
                        2747 Posts
                        Posted: April 2, 2013, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

yup mbecuz if it werent for my 5.00 u would of never played or hit it,so i need my share

When you put your money in a savings account and Bank of America uses it to invest in stocks and makes a fortune from it, do you ...forget about itBig Grin

That money's gone fo ever

Oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #82391
                          November 12, 2009
                          6290 Posts
                          Posted: April 2, 2013, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Oklahoma
                            United States
                            Member #82391
                            November 12, 2009
                            6290 Posts
                            Posted: April 2, 2013, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

When you put your money in a savings account and Bank of America uses it to invest in stocks and makes a fortune from it, do you ...forget about itBig Grin

Good analogyThumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                              Member #130815
                              July 25, 2012
                              1636 Posts
                              Posted: April 2, 2013, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

I think the real question to that is....would you know about it LOL