Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if l borrowed $5.00 from you and ended up winning the lottery: is it your win as well?

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 4 years ago by onlymoney.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
sully16's avatar - sharan
Ringleader
Michigan
United States
Member #81740
October 28, 2009
40609 Posts
Posted: April 2, 2013, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

If someone borrows $5 from me and loses it in the lottery, should I assume half the loss and accept only $2.50 back as full payment?  No?  Well then I shouldn't expect half of the winnings either.

I agree, when I loan money it's yours to do with as your please, I don't loan money often, usually one of my brothers.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

London
    United Kingdom
    Member #140684
    March 24, 2013
    566 Posts
    Posted: April 2, 2013, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

I agree, when I loan money it's yours to do with as your please, I don't loan money often, usually one of my brothers.

Nope, but wouldn't mind a crate of beer as a thanks. ;D

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40609 Posts
      Posted: April 2, 2013, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

I am guessing thats what they usually buy, LOL

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10354 Posts
        Posted: April 2, 2013, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

yup mbecuz if it werent for my 5.00 u would of never played or hit it,so i need my share

Your 'share' would be $5 at best, and that's only if the $5 had indeed been loaned out by you.

As far as schmoozing, suckering, or chumping whoever played the ticket for more, good luck.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: April 2, 2013, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

Never heard of a "crate" of beer before but I like the sound of it.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
            Texas
            United States
            Member #92330
            June 5, 2010
            887 Posts
            Posted: April 2, 2013, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

Ttech- since you would be " expecting" some bucks in return, would you consider it fair or not if the person borrowing the money gave you the exact amount back, in other words you told " Tech- here is the $5.00 l borrowed and by the way - thanks again, it came in mighty handy bud"

That's what I was getting at. I'd expect the exact amount and nothing more. Sure it would be nice to get a little extra, since I'm the one who was willing to let them borrow money, but I wouldn't get upset or feel entitled to any of the winnings.

I think even if they stole it or borrowed without asking... the amount they took is what would be expected. I've actually borrowed $3 from a friend one time at a gas station to get a scratch-off I had been lucky with. Ended up winning $5 and I gave the guy his $3 back and pocketed the $2. It didn't even occur to him to demand the other $2, he was just happy he got his money paid back that quick.

The only reason I would remotely feel like not getting anything is unfair is if I gave someone a set of numbers and they won with them (and if I didn't play them, if they played the same as me and we both won I'd be happy). I understand some may think differently, but that's just how I see it. Though if someone loaned me $1 for a MM draw and I hit big, I would definitely give them something more than $1 in return. I don't see not doing that as wrong, though.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7322 Posts
              Posted: April 3, 2013, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

Your 'share' would be $5 at best, and that's only if the $5 had indeed been loaned out by you.

As far as schmoozing, suckering, or chumping whoever played the ticket for more, good luck.

Most of the answers here depend on how the money is borrowed. It's possible one of the parties might think there is some type of a verbal agreement if a jackpot is won. Loaning someone $5 usually means they expect to be paid back the $5, but asking to borrow $5 to buy lottery tickets may create some type of verbal arrangement. I've had people who knew I was going to purchase tickets that asked me to purchase tickets for them and paid me back. I never assumed I owned part of their tickets, but a few times I was told "if the ticket wins the jackpot, I'll give you a cut". That type of offer is made to convince someone to loan them the money if they seem reluctant as a bonus they probably won't have to pay. If someone offers a cut, then a cut is expected if the jackpot is won; if not it's just an ordinary $5 loan and $5 is all that should be expected to be paid back.

"As far as schmoozing, suckering, or chumping whoever played the ticket for more, good luck."

Next time the jackpot is high, I can tell you a way to greatly increase your chances of getting a share of the jackpot without spending a dime. I worked with a guy that told everybody he knew that played Lotto, he would give them a share of the his jackpot winnings if they shared their jackpot winning with him. Most players don't expect to win the jackpot so they make that deal thinking they will share a part of his jackpot winnings.

His idea was the other players would be obligated to give him a share of any future jackpot and not just for one drawing. 20 years later, he is still whining because two players split a $30 million jackpot about a year after he made "his" deal and they never gave him a penny. I don't know what he planned on doing if he won a jackpot, but with his scam, he didn't have to buy any tickets so it wouldn't be a problem.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                Charlotte NC
                United States
                Member #17406
                June 18, 2005
                4053 Posts
                Posted: April 3, 2013, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

When you put your money in a savings account and Bank of America uses it to invest in stocks and makes a fortune from it, do you ...forget about itBig Grin

bofa stock? r u kidding ROFL but i get the point.

takeemtothebank

Mr-Smith's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                  rekjavik
                  Iceland
                  Member #99537
                  October 27, 2010
                  177 Posts
                  Posted: April 3, 2013, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

if people would learn to shut up ....the would not have this problem....

how would they know it was their dollar unless you told them......

I would have said it was change from the car or found between couch cushion...

But I would have paid him back....and said thank you... nothing more.

Chair

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?Patriot

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                    Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    2747 Posts
                    Posted: April 3, 2013, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

if people would learn to shut up ....the would not have this problem....

how would they know it was their dollar unless you told them......

I would have said it was change from the car or found between couch cushion...

But I would have paid him back....and said thank you... nothing more.

Chair

Its called verbal diarrhea lol

That money's gone fo ever

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
                      New Hampshire
                      United States
                      Member #136492
                      December 12, 2012
                      322 Posts
                      Posted: April 3, 2013, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Personally I would never borrow money from anyone to play the lottery as it's not a necessity for me to play, and if I'm that broke I shouldn't be playing in the first place. I have however given people money to pick tickets for me if I wasn't able to make it to a store in time. In all cases I have told the person that I would give him/her a million should I hit the JP.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                        adelaide sa
                        Australia
                        Member #37136
                        April 11, 2006
                        3300 Posts
                        Posted: April 3, 2013, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

Personally id be peeved that they borrow mony and then buy lotto tickets, infact i would want the lot! i could have bought 5 tikets if i hadnt made the loan , little knowing  the sciver was going to play lotto with it.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: April 3, 2013, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

Personally id be peeved that they borrow mony and then buy lotto tickets, infact i would want the lot! i could have bought 5 tikets if i hadnt made the loan , little knowing  the sciver was going to play lotto with it.

When you stop and think about it, it's kinda crazy that if someone is broke, the first thing they would think of to borrow money for is lottery tickets.

I think most people would think of necessities first.

I would venture to say that buying lottery tickets would most likely be the last thing on their minds.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3475 Posts
                            Posted: April 4, 2013, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

There's a difference between being broke and not having any cash at a particular moment. Depending on what I've bought recently and whether or not I've been to the bank there are times when I could walk into a car dealership and buy a $50,000 car but I can't walk into a convenience store and buy a lottery ticket.

I'd assume that most of the time that somebody wants to borrow a few bucks, regardless of what it's for, it's simply because they don't have cash, though I'm sure some people hang out in circles where that's not the case.

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: April 4, 2013, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

There's a difference between being broke and not having any cash at a particular moment. Depending on what I've bought recently and whether or not I've been to the bank there are times when I could walk into a car dealership and buy a $50,000 car but I can't walk into a convenience store and buy a lottery ticket.

I'd assume that most of the time that somebody wants to borrow a few bucks, regardless of what it's for, it's simply because they don't have cash, though I'm sure some people hang out in circles where that's not the case.

Where I hang out people need money cuz they broke.