Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are you a creature of habit when purchasing your lottery tickets?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 4 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4104 Posts
Posted: April 19, 2013, 10:30 am - IP Logged

Would you stay with your local lottery convenient store or travel across Town to purchase your tickets from a store that sold the recent PB/MM ticket from now on- hoping some of that good fortune will rub off on you?
I saw this behavior last year when we had a $52 mil winner from the city- the line of people wanting to purchase a ticket went round the corner.

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40340 Posts
    Posted: April 19, 2013, 10:51 am - IP Logged

I usually go to the same place.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19819 Posts
      Posted: April 19, 2013, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

I use the same computer and computer program and set at a the same desk to pick my numbers every time so it doesn't matter where I buy them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: April 19, 2013, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

I wait for the little bell to go off inside my head and then pull in to the nearest gas station.

United States
          Member #93947
          July 10, 2010
          2180 Posts
          Posted: April 19, 2013, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

Would you stay with your local lottery convenient store or travel across Town to purchase your tickets from a store that sold the recent PB/MM ticket from now on- hoping some of that good fortune will rub off on you?
          I saw this behavior last year when we had a $52 mil winner from the city- the line of people wanting to purchase a ticket went round the corner.

"I saw this behavior last year when we had a $52 mil winner from the city- the line of people wanting to purchase a ticket went round the corner."

Your observation supports claims that innumeracy is rampant among humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coincidence

I'll stick with my local sources, which are easily reached walking or by bike.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #94283
            July 17, 2010
            2284 Posts
            Posted: April 19, 2013, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

I stick with the same stores.  I only buy a ticket if I walk for it, so I have about 9 or 10 sources to buy from.

However, one store in Boise has sold 2 big multimillion dollar winners including the Brad Duke ticket.  I understand many people go there to get theirs, especially when the JP is high.

United States
              Member #128790
              June 2, 2012
              5431 Posts
              Posted: April 19, 2013, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

I don't see any reason why a particular store would create a winning JP ticket. Correct me If I'm wrong, but the numbers don't come from the terminal at the store, but created by the mainframe computer at some other location.

Secondly, I'd like to see any information showing PB/MM JPs won more than once in one store, and the frequency of these events happening in any given store/s over a period of time. I'm sure It's happened once or twice, but not enough to warrant driving many miles out of the way to that store.

If these people who went to these stores had any sense, they'd realize that the odds to win a JP are very very high, and the odds of another JP being won at the same store would project those astronomical odds even that much higher. Hit With Stick

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10345 Posts
                Posted: April 19, 2013, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

It's very true that nothing draws players in like having sold a jackpot winner, but in Illinois anyway it seems tickets sold at grocery chain stores don't win jackpots too often. It's usually convenience stores and liquor stores.

onlymoney,

Look up "Miracle Mile, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin" right here on LP.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #128790
                  June 2, 2012
                  5431 Posts
                  Posted: April 19, 2013, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

It's very true that nothing draws players in like having sold a jackpot winner, but in Illinois anyway it seems tickets sold at grocery chain stores don't win jackpots too often. It's usually convenience stores and liquor stores.

onlymoney,

Look up "Miracle Mile, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin" right here on LP.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/168365

Interesting, but It's just a coincidence, not because the owners are good people. Crazy

Lots of bad people have won JPs, so I don't buy that mumbo jumbo stuff.

Again, the mainframe computer generates those Raffle tickets, and the article failed to mention whether the two big winners were QPs, or personal numbers chosen by the winners. If the winners were QPs, then the mainframe at another location chose them, and If It was personal numbers, well, that definitely can't be tied to the store.

Just like the lottery Itself, with it's astronomical odds, occasionally, a lightning strike will occur with one store having multiple hits. It's just randomness at work, nothing else. But to flock there just because there were multiple hits is rediculous in my opinion. At the end of the day, a person has to have the correct winning numbers to win the JP, whether they live within a two minute's drive from that store, or whether they live in Siberia. Green laugh

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: April 19, 2013, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

"I saw this behavior last year when we had a $52 mil winner from the city- the line of people wanting to purchase a ticket went round the corner."

Your observation supports claims that innumeracy is rampant among humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coincidence

I'll stick with my local sources, which are easily reached walking or by bike.

Are you one of those geeks with the little rearview mirror attached to your bicycle helmet?  LOL

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                      Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4104 Posts
                      Posted: April 19, 2013, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

I don't see any reason why a particular store would create a winning JP ticket. Correct me If I'm wrong, but the numbers don't come from the terminal at the store, but created by the mainframe computer at some other location.

Secondly, I'd like to see any information showing PB/MM JPs won more than once in one store, and the frequency of these events happening in any given store/s over a period of time. I'm sure It's happened once or twice, but not enough to warrant driving many miles out of the way to that store.

If these people who went to these stores had any sense, they'd realize that the odds to win a JP are very very high, and the odds of another JP being won at the same store would project those astronomical odds even that much higher. Hit With Stick

Onlymoney- Do a Google Search on a multiple lottery winning Store in San Lorenzo California.  I may be wrong but this convenient store has had at least 3-4  jackpot winners. I am not talking scratchers, l mean serious hard cash, in a word* Millions.
                      They have more tham two lottery machines in that joint and a sgn out front saying "Millionaires made here"

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.
                      -George Bernard Shaw.

United States
                        Member #124493
                        March 14, 2012
                        7023 Posts
                        Posted: April 19, 2013, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

Some stores get better quick picks.

Just ask the dream team.

United States
                          Member #124493
                          March 14, 2012
                          7023 Posts
                          Posted: April 19, 2013, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

I tend to frequent stores that have given me money winner QP's in the past.

Also stores and bars with cute bar maidens.Wink

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5115 Posts
                            Posted: April 19, 2013, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

NG:

UR a great "poster" >>>>like UR "subjects">>>>

Psyko has a list of stores that usually have HIGH-TRAFFIC when D jackpot

goes over 75 million. These R a few of the places 2GO when buy'n 50 are

more>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>QUICK TRIX'$$$

LOL>NG:

hope 2C UR name in D Lottery Post "NEW$" !!

could U handle> ALL D "ATTENTION" ???????

White BounceJack-in-the-BoxWhite Bounce

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                              Nutley, New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #131058
                              August 1, 2012
                              875 Posts
                              Posted: April 19, 2013, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

i have bought my tickets at "lucky" lottery stores a few times but ended up with the same results. It doesn't seem to make a difference where tickets are purchased from my personal experience.