Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are you a creature of habit when purchasing your lottery tickets?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 4 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: April 19, 2013, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

"I saw this behavior last year when we had a $52 mil winner from the city- the line of people wanting to purchase a ticket went round the corner."

Your observation supports claims that innumeracy is rampant among humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coincidence

I'll stick with my local sources, which are easily reached walking or by bike.

Do U pity D Humans?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10353 Posts
    Posted: April 19, 2013, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

only money,

You said, "Secondly, I'd like to see any information showing PB/MM JPs won more than once in one store, and the frequency of these events happening in any given store/s over a period of time."

And then when given an example shrugged it off. Guess that was just one of those posts where your mind was made up whether you got an answer or not. noise-gate gave you anogther example and there's a liquor store in Herrin, IL which has sold multiple jackpot winners.

Oh well, I'm guessing you also had a great time at the 1994 World series, too.

MAVEN UNIVERSITY - OPINION OVER KNOWLEDGE

Cheers

Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

aux8b's avatar - home

United States
      Member #57793
      January 19, 2008
      2334 Posts
      Posted: April 19, 2013, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

I go to the same store.

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
        Columbus, Ohio
        United States
        Member #128906
        June 5, 2012
        592 Posts
        Posted: April 19, 2013, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

I go to different big box grocery stores

United States
          Member #128790
          June 2, 2012
          5431 Posts
          Posted: April 20, 2013, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

only money,

You said, "Secondly, I'd like to see any information showing PB/MM JPs won more than once in one store, and the frequency of these events happening in any given store/s over a period of time."

And then when given an example shrugged it off. Guess that was just one of those posts where your mind was made up whether you got an answer or not. noise-gate gave you anogther example and there's a liquor store in Herrin, IL which has sold multiple jackpot winners.

Oh well, I'm guessing you also had a great time at the 1994 World series, too.

MAVEN UNIVERSITY - OPINION OVER KNOWLEDGE

Cheers

Lep

I appreciate the examples, but I'd guess there are roughly over a million mom and pop stores in The united States, maybe less. So you and noisegate gave me a couple of examples out of a million stores that haven't had that streak of luck.

Are you seriously trying to say that those lucky stores will continue creating JP winners for years to come?

I seriously doubt they will.

Let explain It in another way. In Florida, there are times when we get p-3 combos repeat within a month STRAIGHT. Then it goes for years without such instances. Had I used those events as a template for my new strategy, I'd be in the poor house.

There are no magic stores, It's just an Illusion. Most people who play the lottery aren't aware of the math Involved, or are but In denial, so I'm assuming they're also ignorant about the math involved when considering how many times a store can continue producing JP winners.

And lastly, I did say that the numbers don't come from the store, but a central mainframe computer in another location.

Believe what you want CT, and if it helps you feel bettr about yourself and others, all the power to you and them. I'm just putting my two cents in, that's all. 

I have an open mind, and If anyone can show me a few stores that have 10 or more JP wins within a very short time period, I'll eat my hat.

ft pierce,fla
            United States
            Member #30785
            January 21, 2006
            2090 Posts
            Posted: April 20, 2013, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

just to add to the discussion...the majority of the winners are in miami (miami has the largest population) and publix has more winners than any other store selling lottery in florida (once again publix has more volume and stores)

"lucky stores are just that... "lucky" , I buy my tickets from the same store since the flalottery began, he has had 2 lotto winners and 6 fan5 winners, several 10,000.00 scratch-off winners but never a mega or powerball or any amount on a scratch-off over 10k. everyone considers his store "lucky" but he will tell you its volume of ticket sales.

so if you want to win the powerball, travel to miami and buy your ticket from publix! hahaha

ft pierce,fla
              United States
              Member #30785
              January 21, 2006
              2090 Posts
              Posted: April 20, 2013, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

FLORIDA POWERBALL JACKPOT WINNERS

WITH RETAILER INFORMATION

Winner: Lottery Retailer: Advertised

Jackpot: Actual Jackpot: Annuity /

Cash Option: Prize Payout: Jackpot-Winning

Tickets: Draw Date:

5 Christopher McGurran - QP Sweetbay #1723 $50 million $50 million Cash Option $32,446,463.34 1 12/26/2012

of Saint Petersburg2139 34th Street North, Saint Petersburg

4 Carvajal Family Group - (QP) Publix $182 Million $182 Million Cash Option $91,187,716.61 1 2/26/2011

Ines Carvajal, of Kissimmee 2340 Fortune Road, Kissimmee

3 The Ziegler Family Revocable Trust - (QP) Hess Express #09502 $60 Million $61.5 Million Cash Option $34,553,793,03 1 10/6/2010

Steve Ziegler & Cheri Ziegler, of Bradenton 11002 State Road 64, Bradenton

2 Elizabeth Choras-Hanna - (QP) Publix #620 $72 Million $73.8 Million Cash Option $38,929,055.11 1 7/10/2010

of Hollywood 11977 Southern Blvd., Royal Palm Beach

1 W. Steemers Trust Sandlake Chevron Food Mart $193 Million $189 Million Cash Option $101,160,403.68 1 10/3/2009

William A. Steele, of Orlando 7331 W. Sandlake Road, Orlando

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4109 Posts
                Posted: April 20, 2013, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

You do realize that you are being " full of it" Onlymoney.
                Your original post said Nothing about Mom & Pop stores.The store l told you about had these wiinners over a period of time.There is no shame in saying you were wrong. Coin Toss & myself would accept your apology, that's what rational people do, they see the small faults in others and make room for it.

United States
                  Member #128790
                  June 2, 2012
                  5431 Posts
                  Posted: April 20, 2013, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

You do realize that you are being " full of it" Onlymoney.
                  Your original post said Nothing about Mom & Pop stores.The store l told you about had these wiinners over a period of time.There is no shame in saying you were wrong. Coin Toss & myself would accept your apology, that's what rational people do, they see the small faults in others and make room for it.

You and CT just don't get what I'm saying here. It's becoming futile for me to carry on explaining it over and over.

You know what, If you, CT and all those people lining up at those stores really believe your chances are astronomically improved to win the JP, simply because there have been 3 or 4 JP winners, then all the power to you people. Just remember that despite how lucky that store is, the bettors will still have to conquer millions of possible combinations.

3 or 4 JP wins from the same store means absolutely nothing to me. If you knew how randomness really works, you'd understand why I feel that way. For all we know, those 3 or 4 wins were because there were 3 or 4 lucky Individuals who just happened to go to that store.

Randomness will behave erratic, that's a fact. There is no such thing as even distribution in randomness. You'll eventually have clumps of wins and sometimes a wave, even, back to clumps, etc...

It's just like that other thread about why certain states win the PB more often. It's because the populations are larger, therefore there will be more winners. So If we see in the next two years that California wins the PB once every month, does that mean If i move to California my odds improve tremendously to win a PB JP? The answer is NO ! I still have to beat those rediculously unbelievable odds to win. Bang Head

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4109 Posts
                    Posted: April 20, 2013, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

You should listen to yourself.  I am ONLY speaking on the issue of a multiple lottery store winning Jackpots. That is all l am tracking in this post, you on the otherhand are all over the board with who knows what.
                    You right, it is futile in this case. There are those occasions when information clearly presented refuses to penetrate the cranium.

United States
                      Member #128790
                      June 2, 2012
                      5431 Posts
                      Posted: April 20, 2013, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

You should listen to yourself.  I am ONLY speaking on the issue of a multiple lottery store winning Jackpots. That is all l am tracking in this post, you on the otherhand are all over the board with who knows what.
                      You right, it is futile in this case. There are those occasions when information clearly presented refuses to penetrate the cranium.

Would you stay with your local lottery convenient store or travel across Town to purchase your tickets from a store that sold the recent PB/MM ticket from now on- hoping some of that good fortune will rub off on you?

That's your original statement, thinking If someone goes to those stores, the luck from that store will increase that person's chance of winning. And all I did was respond by telling the readers that the enormous odds were still the reality despite how many people won.

Some people just lack critical thinking abilities.

Upstate NY
                        United States
                        Member #140390
                        March 17, 2013
                        224 Posts
                        Posted: April 20, 2013, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

I go to different stores but it is because I want to see their selection of scratch off tickets.

United States
                          Member #93947
                          July 10, 2010
                          2180 Posts
                          Posted: April 21, 2013, 12:31 am - IP Logged

You seem to asking whether or not people believe "stores" where jackpots have been won possess some attribute or quality that might give players there an edge.  The initial Topic post makes no mention of the volume of sales at these stores and it seems to me that OnlyMoney is legitimately pointing out that the number of big winners at a given "store" is more likely to correlate with their sales volume than with any other phenomena.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                            u$a
                            United States
                            Member #106665
                            February 22, 2011
                            19884 Posts
                            Posted: April 21, 2013, 12:48 am - IP Logged

I am in different states every week so yes i buy from different stores Thumbs Up

Let it Snow Snowman

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10353 Posts
                              Posted: April 21, 2013, 1:01 am - IP Logged

onlymoney,

"It's just like that other thread about why certain states win the PB more often. It's because the populations are larger, therefore there will be more winners."

You really need to inform yourself before sharing your vast knowledge. Indiana has had the most Powerball winners.

Hardly the largest population of the PB states.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.