Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If in the future there was a $1 BILLION Mega Millions or Powerball Jackpot..

Topic closed. 63 replies. Last post 4 years ago by jerryb*49.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

How many winners of the jackpot would you like?

I hope a lottery pool with 5 or more people win [ 13 ]  [19.40%]
4 winning tickets, the JP gets split 4 ways [ 11 ]  [16.42%]
3 winning tickets, the JP gets split 3 ways [ 2 ]  [2.99%]
Two winning tickets, the jackpot get split in half [ 3 ]  [4.48%]
One winning ticket, one owner of the ticket [ 36 ]  [53.73%]
Other - I want something else to happen. (comment) [ 2 ]  [2.99%]
Total Valid Votes [ 67 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: April 29, 2013, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

This may be the first time that you and Ronnie agree on something, but in this case you're both wrong. One winner would be unlikely, but definitely not impossible. Even another rollover would be possible.

As for my preferences, that's an easy one. One winner: me.

You're well known for having no sense of humor, Jelly man, but this example is ridiculous.

You must be the life of the party everywhere you go.  Confused

I mean, I'm sure you will be, the day people start inviting cheapskates anywhere.

BTW, Scrooge, did you spend your 20 bucks yet?  LOL

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
    Member #32537
    February 12, 2006
    698 Posts
    Posted: April 30, 2013, 4:15 am - IP Logged

odds favor more then 1

but i enjoy seeing 1 person given insane amounts of wealth

take someone dirt poor and just dump godly amounts of money on them is what lottery all about

they make such great disasters waiting to happen in news

the core issue is people just spend , thinkin it never run out

however for the rich  who get richer,

they may spend a lot yes, but its only a small % of the total income they get ever year

so they have to grow rich

some lottery winner who had say 500m in cash after taxes if this was real billion jackpot we talkin about here

could  easy become a billioner in a decade.

hell the 100 million  or above  atfer tax's cash jackpots we seen won,"see high 200/300 wins we had"  sometimes happen

and any of them winners, could become billioners given TIME

by billioners, if there young and have like 30 to live 

the power of reinvesting 

Power of Compounding , i seen a lot of case studies of this power

bankers use it on u folks all time , to make sick amount  form intreast u pay for your home/car ,

little bit of cash up front investment form them,  much more down the road.

your debt, is there  cash cow form heaven.    thanks suckers is what they should be saying. there much to nice to folks compared to me

it is sick to see small investments of a few million turn into 10/20m ish  over 30 years, its like, wow they just kept reinvesting dividends etc, and my god , if someone did this with 100 plus million cash jackpots  , a new billioner would be easy given time

however people who win this amount, are stuck in povery mindset, they can't help them selfs, everyone got to be gifted money as  sense they think "its right thing to do" and  ofc  they spend the cash , dear god how they spend indeed, i love lottery stories of insane spending they do,so many toys..................

honest to god, i think a lot of winners cant even be trusted with a piggy bank saving account

if they had lot of money in that piggy bank, these people would shatter it ,and spend it. 

its a endless cycle of people getting fithy rich then fast becoming poorer 

am more shocked we have not had more lottery winners who  go ya, billioner now, all thx to lottery ,  god only knows we have loser stories all over place.

thro i like to think all winners who never went public/claimed in trust, are in fact much richer then they was when they won, but we never know"

i like to think, people had brains to understand why say investing millions in stocks are  a great idea

say 70 bucks per stock share , that pays 4 bucks ever year in dividends

if they reinvest that income  for decades would make them fithy rich, but nooooooooo

in world where rich get richer"see  freaking studies on rich get richer.................... ", the lottery winners prove a idiot is sure a idiot, money dont fix stupid.

they take all that money,and buy ever thing, screw investing and living below your income level for that year , ever year

stories like that happen all time on lottery post, i be all  Jester Laugh 

No bees, no honey.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
      Nutley, New Jersey
      United States
      Member #131058
      August 1, 2012
      875 Posts
      Posted: May 16, 2013, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

the people have spoken. One ticket - one winner gets the most votes.

Toronto
        Canada
        Member #138397
        January 26, 2013
        179 Posts
        Posted: May 16, 2013, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

What's the point of having a billion dollar jackpot if you have 100 winners lol...

Poo Nanny's avatar - 2649029

United States
          Member #125766
          March 30, 2012
          63 Posts
          Posted: May 16, 2013, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

I want to change my vote now lol. I want to vote other. If I am not the single winner, I want a single winning ticket to go unclaimed. That would create suspense for years

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
            u$a
            United States
            Member #106665
            February 22, 2011
            19967 Posts
            Posted: May 16, 2013, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

I voted 4 the more the merrierWink

I Agree!

Patriot

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: May 17, 2013, 12:04 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't mind seeing a hundred winners if I was one of 'em.

Not a bit.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                u$a
                United States
                Member #106665
                February 22, 2011
                19967 Posts
                Posted: May 17, 2013, 2:48 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't mind seeing a hundred winners if I was one of 'em.

Not a bit.

Thumbs Up

Patriot

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7344 Posts
                  Posted: May 17, 2013, 9:16 am - IP Logged

I want to change my vote now lol. I want to vote other. If I am not the single winner, I want a single winning ticket to go unclaimed. That would create suspense for years

If you really want all the conspiracy theorist to come out, one winning record breaking jackpot ticket and the winner claims anonymously. Or better yet, have an 80 year-old lawyer claim the prize on behave of a trust six hours before the ticket expires.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                    Member #142499
                    May 13, 2013
                    1200 Posts
                    Posted: May 17, 2013, 10:31 am - IP Logged

Someone here on LP once posted they wouldn't want to be the one to win a $1 Billion jackpot, I agree with that totally.

I voted Other- maybe the unique unprecedented situation where all combinations were played but there was no winner!

Scared

Seriously though, I always hope for muiltiple winners when the jp amount gets 'obscene'.

Your milegae may vary.

If it was my comment I made earlier in the week, what I actually said was, if they didn't allow me to collect it anonymously, then I probably wouldn't want to win $1B. I actually don't see it as being obscene. The money wasn't my concerned. 

My real concern is a member of my family being kidnapped/harmed just to get some money out of me.

Personally, I've watched way too many American Greed and Behind Mansion Walls episodes for me to not be wary. But I know a few relatives who asking them to keep their mouths shut would be the same as asking them to split the atom. They'd tell a hundred people they're related to me. And then the trouble would begin. 

I'll tell you how easy it is:

Someone I know was in a tight financial spot. She wasn't working and her bf lost his job a week after they moved into a new apartment. A friend of mine and I pooled our money together on 4 different occasions and sent it to her so that she didn't have to worry about some really pressing bills. 

A couple months later when neither were able to get a job, she moved in with a friend to cut down on her expenses. She then broke up with the bf because he was demanding...ACTUALLY DEMANDING...that she get more money from us. She adamantly refused. He was livid.Turned hostile and belligerent on her. Now imagine that situation if I'd been a lottery winner and he'd found out. Considering what he put her through when she said she wasn't going to ask for any more $$, I think he would have used her/hurt her in any way he could, to extort $$ from me if I'd been a lottery winning millionaire.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: May 17, 2013, 10:36 am - IP Logged

If it was my comment I made earlier in the week, what I actually said was, if they didn't allow me to collect it anonymously, then I probably wouldn't want to win $1B. I actually don't see it as being obscene. The money wasn't my concerned. 

My real concern is a member of my family being kidnapped/harmed just to get some money out of me.

Personally, I've watched way too many American Greed and Behind Mansion Walls episodes for me to not be wary. But I know a few relatives who asking them to keep their mouths shut would be the same as asking them to split the atom. They'd tell a hundred people they're related to me. And then the trouble would begin. 

I'll tell you how easy it is:

Someone I know was in a tight financial spot. She wasn't working and her bf lost his job a week after they moved into a new apartment. A friend of mine and I pooled our money together on 4 different occasions and sent it to her so that she didn't have to worry about some really pressing bills. 

A couple months later when neither were able to get a job, she moved in with a friend to cut down on her expenses. She then broke up with the bf because he was demanding...ACTUALLY DEMANDING...that she get more money from us. She adamantly refused. He was livid.Turned hostile and belligerent on her. Now imagine that situation if I'd been a lottery winner and he'd found out. Considering what he put her through when she said she wasn't going to ask for any more $$, I think he would have used her/hurt her in any way he could, to extort $$ from me if I'd been a lottery winning millionaire.

That's why you don't give them any money in the first place.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                        Member #142499
                        May 13, 2013
                        1200 Posts
                        Posted: May 17, 2013, 11:05 am - IP Logged

That's why you don't give them any money in the first place.

But you can't see someone in a bind financially and not help if you can.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #99032
                          October 18, 2010
                          1439 Posts
                          Posted: May 17, 2013, 11:30 am - IP Logged

It would be impossible for one ticket to win it all because of the large number of tickets that would be sold.

Green laugh

That's basically true.  A gaming mathemetician estimated that if it isn't won this drawing, that a billion dollar jackpot would have a 1 in 27 million chance of NOT being won, and that it would average out to have a 17 way split.  Impossible isn't the right word, but it's so unlikely it basically is.

In fact, if there's a billion dollar jackpot, I'd expect at that there's usually at least 5 winners.  Maybe his analysis was wrong, but his point remains, that a billion dollar jackpot would result in like a billion or more tickets being sold.  Actually, I just looked, and he said that his analysis estimates that a billion dollar jackpot would sell roughly 3 billion tickets!  Something he admits may not even be possible.  (I guess you can analyze/estimate all you want, but this thing has never happened, so nobody actually knows what sales would be like.)

Florida
                            United States
                            Member #142141
                            May 3, 2013
                            169 Posts
                            Posted: May 17, 2013, 11:46 am - IP Logged

That's basically true.  A gaming mathemetician estimated that if it isn't won this drawing, that a billion dollar jackpot would have a 1 in 27 million chance of NOT being won, and that it would average out to have a 17 way split.  Impossible isn't the right word, but it's so unlikely it basically is.

In fact, if there's a billion dollar jackpot, I'd expect at that there's usually at least 5 winners.  Maybe his analysis was wrong, but his point remains, that a billion dollar jackpot would result in like a billion or more tickets being sold.  Actually, I just looked, and he said that his analysis estimates that a billion dollar jackpot would sell roughly 3 billion tickets!  Something he admits may not even be possible.  (I guess you can analyze/estimate all you want, but this thing has never happened, so nobody actually knows what sales would be like.)

I'd like to see JP capped at 50 million at all times + more million dollar winning payouts.

No one needs 1/2 billion dollars, even in fantasy land.

If there were more winners, there would be a better chance of someone doing good with the prize money.

CK

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #99032
                              October 18, 2010
                              1439 Posts
                              Posted: May 17, 2013, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to see JP capped at 50 million at all times + more million dollar winning payouts.

No one needs 1/2 billion dollars, even in fantasy land.

If there were more winners, there would be a better chance of someone doing good with the prize money.

CK

Personally, I wouldn't mind a game with a capped jackpot - but that's not the point of these multistate games.

Leave that for state run games, or multi-state games with smaller state pools.  Games like MM and PB were meant to create huge jackpots.  Because that's what sells tickets, because that's what customers want.  Everyone knows you don't NEED half a billion dollars, but most people want it.  (Myself included for sure.)

My preference is generally geared towards smaller games, as I'd rather be more likely to win a big amount than less likely to win a gigantic amount.  But apparently, most people say they agree with me, but act differently with their money, so the Lotteries know what they're doing.