Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

State Raffles. What are your thoughts on them?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 4 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
Massachusetts
United States
Member #37433
April 14, 2006
2747 Posts
Posted: June 27, 2013, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

I personally love Raffles that are run by lottery commissions. Usually the raffle price is higher ($10 or $20 a ticket) but the odds of winning are much higher than even Cash 5 games. I bought 3 PA Millionaire Raffle tickets when I vacationed there in May. The draw is July 6, 2013. The odds of winning $1M are 1:125,000 and even better for the many small prizes.  I would have bought the Illinois ones if it were possible to buy online directly from the Illinois lottery commission. Thoughts?

That money's gone fo ever

London
    United Kingdom
    Member #140684
    March 24, 2013
    566 Posts
    Posted: June 27, 2013, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

When you buy a EuroMillions ticket for 2 GBP you get a line of numbers and a raffle number at the bottom and every draw someone wins 1M it's pretty cool. And around Christmas and other special times they host special raffles like 25 1M GBP winners for stuff like that it's cool I like em.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: June 27, 2013, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

I like raffles.

I always play 'em in Va.

But we don't have 'em in TN.

Cuz the Dragon Lady says they're stupid.

And she said she would pop my head like a zit if I ever brought it up again.

So I ain't sayin' nothin'.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: June 27, 2013, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

I like raffles.

I always play 'em in Va.

But we don't have 'em in TN.

Cuz the Dragon Lady says they're stupid.

And she said she would pop my head like a zit if I ever brought it up again.

So I ain't sayin' nothin'.

Haha Dragon Lady should throw you a bone this Christmas rdgrnr. I'm hoping she is reading this.

VA and PA have the best raffles. 4 millionaires are created with only 500,000 tickets sold. Best odds.

MA has a raffle called Super 50/50 Raffle. Its not worth even knowing about it.

Massachusetts
          United States
          Member #37433
          April 14, 2006
          2747 Posts
          Posted: June 27, 2013, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

When you buy a EuroMillions ticket for 2 GBP you get a line of numbers and a raffle number at the bottom and every draw someone wins 1M it's pretty cool. And around Christmas and other special times they host special raffles like 25 1M GBP winners for stuff like that it's cool I like em.

I like that a lot. PB or MM should try that idea to stimulate sales. 1M GBP = $ 1.53M! When Camelot Group start selling EuroMillions tickets online directly (no agents) to overseas subscribers I will  be buying some of those. I would hope the US government would also allow us.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10389 Posts
            Posted: June 27, 2013, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Jusy my $.02 and it won't be popular, but in Pick 6 or 5 + 1 jackpot games $1 or $2 could win multi millions, that's the big draw of the games.

So let's say in a state rafle $10 or $20 wins $1 million.

And let's use the current MM jackpot of $61 M.

If there's a MM winner, that $1 won $61 M.

The raffle winner, let's say a $20 raffle, each dollar won $50,000. Not quite the same bang for the buck.

Illinois raffles used to produce a few winners and 499,991 losers for a $20 ticket. The latest raffle though is $10 for six draws. The players must have started to see through the original format.

If you like raffles more power to you, and good luck.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #94283
              July 17, 2010
              2284 Posts
              Posted: June 27, 2013, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

I used to love raffles.  Then I spent $50 - $150 each year for 5 years or so and didn't win a thing.  Now I don't love raffles so much any more.  Now I buy one ticket and that's it.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                Upacreek
                United States
                Member #136306
                December 8, 2012
                431 Posts
                Posted: June 27, 2013, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

Jusy my $.02 and it won't be popular, but in Pick 6 or 5 + 1 jackpot games $1 or $2 could win multi millions, that's the big draw of the games.

So let's say in a state rafle $10 or $20 wins $1 million.

And let's use the current MM jackpot of $61 M.

If there's a MM winner, that $1 won $61 M.

The raffle winner, let's say a $20 raffle, each dollar won $50,000. Not quite the same bang for the buck.

Illinois raffles used to produce a few winners and 499,991 losers for a $20 ticket. The latest raffle though is $10 for six draws. The players must have started to see through the original format.

If you like raffles more power to you, and good luck.

I see your point in terms of bang for buck and hard to argue from that perspective, but...

Lotto (6 #'s) is 1 in 20.3 million odds for a shot a generally several million... 

Little lotto (5 #'s) is approx. 1 in 575,000 odds and rarely ever get JP's beyond 500-600K (although lately with 2x draws the pot has gotten larger faster)

Raffle is approx. 1 in 500,000 odds for a shot at a million

Raffle odds are you're best shot at winning any significant cash prize in the lottery...

You could spend a buck at a time for several lifetimes and still never come close to PICK 5 and or 6 hit... who knows how many lifetimes before hitting MM or a PB JP Crazy

I like the raffles b/c you just might get a shot at a decent prize in one lifetime.  It just goes to show how difficult it is to actually win a decent prize in the lottery. 

Heck winning 1 mil on a $20 scratcher in IL is 1 in 1,320,000... good luckWink

-RC

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10389 Posts
                  Posted: June 28, 2013, 12:49 am - IP Logged

Romancandle,

I see your points, too.

There's a term in gambling called relative to the buy in, and along those lines a raffle top prize couldn't touch a lottery jackpot.

Maybr some state will get really innovative and conduct a raffle where there's options of buying from $1 to $10 or $20 worth........and each dollar would win so much. But that's not really good for hyping a raffle.

Let's face it, these are all longshot affairs, extreme longshots. It's not like putting $110 on a NFL game to win $100.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                    NY
                    United States
                    Member #121961
                    January 21, 2012
                    3159 Posts
                    Posted: June 28, 2013, 1:09 am - IP Logged

I play them when i can. I also have some for Pa, and a couple for Ct superdraw. I play Virginia if i'm south for xmas.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                      Ringleader
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #81740
                      October 28, 2009
                      41867 Posts
                      Posted: June 28, 2013, 7:18 am - IP Logged

I love raffles, would like to see more of them.

HyperBe Happy.

olplugger's avatar - moon2
                        Mechanicsville, VA
                        United States
                        Member #84145
                        December 23, 2009
                        1523 Posts
                        Posted: June 28, 2013, 8:19 am - IP Logged

I love raffles, would like to see more of them.

I Agree!

"Whatever the human mind can conceive and believe it can achieve."

Napoleon Hill, Author of "Think & Grow Rich"

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                          Florida
                          United States
                          Member #61435
                          May 22, 2008
                          910 Posts
                          Posted: June 28, 2013, 8:29 am - IP Logged

Won $1000 on the Florida holiday raffle last year so I like them!

Massachusetts
                            United States
                            Member #37433
                            April 14, 2006
                            2747 Posts
                            Posted: July 7, 2013, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

Won $1000 on the Florida holiday raffle last year so I like them!

I won $100 from the PA Millionaire Raffle that was drawn last evening. I made a $40 profit. I just have to mail it in because I am not going over there anytime soon.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                              NY
                              United States
                              Member #121961
                              January 21, 2012
                              3159 Posts
                              Posted: July 9, 2013, 1:14 am - IP Logged

Won nothing from Pa or CT, but that was expected. Next time i'll get 1 instead of 2.