Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 7:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

State Raffles. What are your thoughts on them?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 4 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: July 9, 2013, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

I won $100 from the PA Millionaire Raffle that was drawn last evening. I made a $40 profit. I just have to mail it in because I am not going over there anytime soon.

Cool!  Thumbs Up

I'd have to pick it up in person if it was me though cuz my mailman delivers half of my mail to the McNutts down the mountain.

And they're all half nuts.

I saw Junior standin' in the road the other day holdin' something in his hand.

As I drove by I could see it was an old carburetor.

And he was lickin' it.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
    Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #37433
    April 14, 2006
    2747 Posts
    Posted: July 9, 2013, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

Cool!  Thumbs Up

I'd have to pick it up in person if it was me though cuz my mailman delivers half of my mail to the McNutts down the mountain.

And they're all half nuts.

I saw Junior standin' in the road the other day holdin' something in his hand.

As I drove by I could see it was an old carburetor.

And he was lickin' it.

Lol as long as your neighbors keep their distance then you'll be fine...

If I drove to PA for the sole purpose of picking up the $100, of which only $40 is profit then it would be a loss making venture. I'm betting my mailman will be reliable on this.

That money's gone fo ever

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
      Massachusetts
      United States
      Member #37433
      April 14, 2006
      2747 Posts
      Posted: July 9, 2013, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

Won nothing from Pa or CT, but that was expected. Next time i'll get 1 instead of 2.

I didn't get any from CT. I forgot to get some while I was driving through there and then I became too busy to  head down there. Goodluck next time!

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7340 Posts
        Posted: July 9, 2013, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

Two years ago Kentucky ran a winner-take-all 50/50 raffle and one player won $145,000. The tickets were $10 and low sales is probably why they never ran another raffle. Considering the number of raffles tickets they sell in other states with multiple secondary prizes and most have at least four $1 million winners, it's a fair $20 bet IMO. Makes a nice stocking stuffer at Christmas too.

Massachusetts
          United States
          Member #37433
          April 14, 2006
          2747 Posts
          Posted: July 10, 2013, 7:24 am - IP Logged

Two years ago Kentucky ran a winner-take-all 50/50 raffle and one player won $145,000. The tickets were $10 and low sales is probably why they never ran another raffle. Considering the number of raffles tickets they sell in other states with multiple secondary prizes and most have at least four $1 million winners, it's a fair $20 bet IMO. Makes a nice stocking stuffer at Christmas too.

We have had two 50/50 raffle in MA so far. One that was drawn in new years eve of 2013 and another one that was drawn the week of July 4. Even though the tickets were only $10, I didn't bother getting one. In my personal opinion, raffles should be easier to win than both scratch tickets and the numbers games. It is my hope that MA will borrow a leaf from PA & VA lottery when it comes to raffles.

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7340 Posts
            Posted: July 11, 2013, 1:17 am - IP Logged

We have had two 50/50 raffle in MA so far. One that was drawn in new years eve of 2013 and another one that was drawn the week of July 4. Even though the tickets were only $10, I didn't bother getting one. In my personal opinion, raffles should be easier to win than both scratch tickets and the numbers games. It is my hope that MA will borrow a leaf from PA & VA lottery when it comes to raffles.

Most of the raffles are 625,000 $20 tickets and $6.25 million is divided by the players. It's usually four $1 milllion winners and several other smaller prize winners. In some states the tickets are sold out in less than two weeks and in some states the drawing date is extended because of lack of sales. In the passed I know the Ohio Lottery held their raffle on the announced date even though not all the tickets were sold and the advertized prizes were still the same.

Once any raffle gets passed the break even point, greed is the only reason not to hold the raffle on the announced date with the same prizes.

Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: July 11, 2013, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

Most of the raffles are 625,000 $20 tickets and $6.25 million is divided by the players. It's usually four $1 milllion winners and several other smaller prize winners. In some states the tickets are sold out in less than two weeks and in some states the drawing date is extended because of lack of sales. In the passed I know the Ohio Lottery held their raffle on the announced date even though not all the tickets were sold and the advertized prizes were still the same.

Once any raffle gets passed the break even point, greed is the only reason not to hold the raffle on the announced date with the same prizes.

Yessir! you're right about greed

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4934 Posts
                Posted: July 11, 2013, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Not a fan of the raffles, even in VA. $20 is too much.  Rather play a number of pick 6 games or pick 5. Although I do buy raffle tickets from charities quite often.

J'aime La France.

stunna6036's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
                  chicago,il
                  United States
                  Member #141327
                  April 11, 2013
                  46 Posts
                  Posted: July 11, 2013, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

It was ok when it started out as one raffle here in illinois but now they have 3 in a year. I'm already out aboit 200 hundred bucks this year in raffles so I think my raffle playing days are up.

Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    2747 Posts
                    Posted: July 11, 2013, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Not a fan of the raffles, even in VA. $20 is too much.  Rather play a number of pick 6 games or pick 5. Although I do buy raffle tickets from charities quite often.

True. I don't even buy $10 scratch tickets but the overall odds of hitting something in PA & VA (usually a min of $100) in raffles are way much better than other games.

Massachusetts
                      United States
                      Member #37433
                      April 14, 2006
                      2747 Posts
                      Posted: July 11, 2013, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

It was ok when it started out as one raffle here in illinois but now they have 3 in a year. I'm already out aboit 200 hundred bucks this year in raffles so I think my raffle playing days are up.

The top prize of $1,000,000 in raffles is 1:125,000 if they are selling only 500,000 tickets with 4 tickets getting picked for $1M. Those odds are many times better than even Cash 5 (5/35). I find those odds irresitable. And raffles pay lumpsum so only taxes get deducted.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: July 11, 2013, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

The top prize of $1,000,000 in raffles is 1:125,000 if they are selling only 500,000 tickets with 4 tickets getting picked for $1M. Those odds are many times better than even Cash 5 (5/35). I find those odds irresitable. And raffles pay lumpsum so only taxes get deducted.

That's what I'm talkin' about.

And the people at the Virginia Lottery are always nice and helpful and professional when you talk to them on the phone.

Their state cops suck though, always hidin' in the weeds on the highway, won't give you a break for nothin' and radar detectors are illegal there, unless you know how to hide them good, heh,heh,heh,heh,heh...

Their raffles are good though and their Cash5 is a real ball drawing, which I like and I never miss a drawing.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                          Member #121745
                          January 16, 2012
                          4934 Posts
                          Posted: July 11, 2013, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

That's what I'm talkin' about.

And the people at the Virginia Lottery are always nice and helpful and professional when you talk to them on the phone.

Their state cops suck though, always hidin' in the weeds on the highway, won't give you a break for nothin' and radar detectors are illegal there, unless you know how to hide them good, heh,heh,heh,heh,heh...

Their raffles are good though and their Cash5 is a real ball drawing, which I like and I never miss a drawing.

I bought 3 VA cash 5 tickets tonight..my own numbers. I keep hearing from everyone how great it is. The few times I have played, I got 0 numbers but a number set beginning with 12 was calling my name.

J'aime La France.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: July 11, 2013, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

I bought 3 VA cash 5 tickets tonight..my own numbers. I keep hearing from everyone how great it is. The few times I have played, I got 0 numbers but a number set beginning with 12 was calling my name.

Good luck, Artist.

I like the game. It plays twice a day, seven days a week and you can play for a quarter, half buck or a dollar for 25k, 50k or 100k on a 5/34 game with odds of 1 in 278,256 for the jackpot.

And it's a real ball drawing, no fake computer hocus-pocus, 3 Card Monty style drawings like Tennessee.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                              Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #74096
                              May 2, 2009
                              23208 Posts
                              Posted: July 11, 2013, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

I hate raffles. They can keep them. Next one that comes up, I won't be playing. I'll spend the
                              money on another chance at some money.

Good luck all that play them though!

010 122 963 824 684 584 0000 6837 4061 1207 2319 4901 1009 1347 1537