Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should you win either jackpot: would you hesitate to write a check to fellow forumites?

Topic closed. 109 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 3 of 8
PrintE-mailLink
ThemBonez's avatar - 16314 s.jpg
Phoenix, AZ
United States
Member #136173
December 5, 2012
1034 Posts
Posted: August 30, 2013, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

When I win, no cheques for anyone as....... I don't own a cheque book sorry.. Jack-in-the-Box

LOLOL Green laugh

"JACKPOT BABY!" ...those elusive words still elude me! LOL

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: August 30, 2013, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Could you make me out a check for ten grand now?

I won't cash it until you win.

That way I won't bother you when you get swamped with all the lowdown scammers who will be clamoring for money.

They got a lotta nerve.

We should tell them to go get a job like we did.

Dirty scammers...

**You have a great weekend too, partner!

Party

Would you accept a response "Check is in the mail -- RSPV"?   Banana

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: August 30, 2013, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

If they faced hard times, l would not hesitate providing that assistance-providing they did not run off at the mouth to others given that the help is private. .how about you?

** Have a Great Weekend People.

Party

I think you most certainly SHOULD hesitate. Drop that pen and back away slowly! A fool and his money are soon parted.

There are well over 100,000 members on LP. If you wrote a check for $10,000 to each one that was in need, you'd blow through a billion dollars, more than Gloria or any other JP winner in history.

If I win, I'd never EVER give anyone money. I believe in giving help, not cash. You can help someone with food, clothing or shelter. But if you just give cash or a blank check, that money can go to booze or drugs.(or lottery tickets) Better to give someone a job, or an affordable place to live, or medical care, etc.(or contribute to places that do that) But not just write them a check. That's my opinion at least.

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: August 30, 2013, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

I think you most certainly SHOULD hesitate. Drop that pen and back away slowly! A fool and his money are soon parted.

There are well over 100,000 members on LP. If you wrote a check for $10,000 to each one that was in need, you'd blow through a billion dollars, more than Gloria or any other JP winner in history.

If I win, I'd never EVER give anyone money. I believe in giving help, not cash. You can help someone with food, clothing or shelter. But if you just give cash or a blank check, that money can go to booze or drugs.(or lottery tickets) Better to give someone a job, or an affordable place to live, or medical care, etc.(or contribute to places that do that) But not just write them a check. That's my opinion at least.

I Agree! There are lots of ways people can get help without receiving a check in the mail. Once I give half my jackpot to my favorite charity I can be certain that I have done my share of helping people in need.

Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: August 30, 2013, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! There are lots of ways people can get help without receiving a check in the mail. Once I give half my jackpot to my favorite charity I can be certain that I have done my share of helping people in need.

Thumbs Up Yep, good call. And another benefit, when the lottery trots you out for your press conference in front of the ginormous fake check, you can say, "Listen up folks, I got one thing to say: I ain't giving NOBODY any money, EVER! Any of you moochers even remotely thinking about asking me for money can go climb a tree right now!"

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: August 30, 2013, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

Thumbs Up Yep, good call. And another benefit, when the lottery trots you out for your press conference in front of the ginormous fake check, you can say, "Listen up folks, I got one thing to say: I ain't giving NOBODY any money, EVER! Any of you moochers even remotely thinking about asking me for money can go climb a tree right now!"

Green laugh And that goes for the formulamites too.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: August 30, 2013, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

Would you accept a response "Check is in the mail -- RSPV"?   Banana

Actually I'd be willing to drive to his house and pick it up in cash to save him the stamp.

I'm good like that.

I could be there first thing in the morning.

I could leave right now even.

Anything to help him out.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4111 Posts
                Posted: August 30, 2013, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

Jon D- Point well taken with this statement "  I think you most certainly SHOULD hesitate. Drop that pen and back away slowly! A fool and his money are soon parted." Money departs from fools to begin with- and l am no fool.

It appears that you are under the assumption that my remark applied to " Everyone" on LP...negative. This would only mean those that l have frequently " bumped " into while in one specific room. That is not a blank check Statement. 

Giving help as you say can come in various forms, if however one won over 100 million Dollars, l think sending a sack of beans and rice to a specific location and counting that as " help" is laughable at best.

Your concern is touching though.

**Clarify: Some major disaster hits a certain location in these United States and come to find out someone who for the most part is always in this forum is now in dire straits-that person or persons loses all they have, their home, possessions are now gone.Through word of mouth or otherwise- we get wind of it. Does one with the means not step up to the plate and do the right thing- or does one wait for the Red Cross to act first? Despite the fact that one has never set eyes on the individual/individuals in question- does one act.. or not? l choose to act- do you?

This topic was started with that in mind.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3301 Posts
                  Posted: August 31, 2013, 2:33 am - IP Logged

no hesitation here, because i never plan on  entertaining the idea to start with, i doubt ill even  look at my emails here

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10354 Posts
                    Posted: August 31, 2013, 2:51 am - IP Logged

If word got out that someone here on LP won a jackpot there would be a lot of new people joining the site.

If word got out that the winner was writing checks to fellow 'forumites' most of those new people would be mooches looking for a handout.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                      Member #121745
                      January 16, 2012
                      4806 Posts
                      Posted: August 31, 2013, 8:40 am - IP Logged

Actually I'd be willing to drive to his house and pick it up in cash to save him the stamp.

I'm good like that.

I could be there first thing in the morning.

I could leave right now even.

Anything to help him out.

Be sure to bring a bag of cheesy poufs.

J'aime La France.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #92330
                        June 5, 2010
                        887 Posts
                        Posted: August 31, 2013, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

Jon D- Point well taken with this statement "  I think you most certainly SHOULD hesitate. Drop that pen and back away slowly! A fool and his money are soon parted." Money departs from fools to begin with- and l am no fool.

It appears that you are under the assumption that my remark applied to " Everyone" on LP...negative. This would only mean those that l have frequently " bumped " into while in one specific room. That is not a blank check Statement. 

Giving help as you say can come in various forms, if however one won over 100 million Dollars, l think sending a sack of beans and rice to a specific location and counting that as " help" is laughable at best.

**Clarify: Some major disaster hits a certain location in these United States and come to find out someone who for the most part is always in this forum is now in dire straits-that person or persons loses all they have, their home, possessions are now gone.Through word of mouth or otherwise- we get wind of it. Does one with the means not step up to the plate and do the right thing- or does one wait for the Red Cross to act first? Despite the fact that one has never set eyes on the individual/individuals in question- does one act.. or not? l choose to act- do you?

In that scenario, why help out just the one person just because he frequents the same forum? If I were to help any of those people I would help all of them with a donation to the Red Cross or similar local (to them) organization.

And if anyone here did have an issue specific to them and I did choose to help, I doubt it would be something I just threw money at, but would rather help in other ways.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                          Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4111 Posts
                          Posted: August 31, 2013, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

If word got out that someone here on LP won a jackpot there would be a lot of new people joining the site.

If word got out that the winner was writing checks to fellow 'forumites' most of those new people would be mooches looking for a handout.

Word getting out & new people joining would impress Todd, but this has nothing to do with helping those who have suffered disaster and NEED help.its not like  one would say " Anyone here needing money here is my email address"
                          You smarter than this CT.

Los Angeles, California
                            United States
                            Member #103813
                            January 5, 2011
                            1530 Posts
                            Posted: August 31, 2013, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

I think you can see the general consensus from your fellow forumites is that they would NOT write a check to nameless faceless people just because they happen to frequent the same online forum.

To try and claim false piety just because you say you'd not hesitate to write a check to someone in need following a disaster, well...let's just say, can we expect you, noise-gate, if you won a large JP, to empty the hundreds of millions in your account to write checks to all the people affected by Superstorm Sandy, the Midwest Floods, Oklahoma Tornadoes, Japan Tsunami, Haiti Earthquake, and so on?

Corerced charity is an ugly thing. It's in the same realm as all those parasites that prey on lottery JP winners, begging for money to help them out of their dire straits, just because they think the winner has money to give. The best thing about having or winning a lot of money is you have the power to say how it is used. Nobody should be telling you or coercing you into spending it way they think is right. People can choose to help others in the best way they feel is right.

This ill-conceived hypothetical did not smell right from the start, and now it's starting to stink. Sorry, gotta ding you bro. Move along, nothing to see here folks.
                            You are better than this NG.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: August 31, 2013, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Be sure to bring a bag of cheesy poufs.

Oh, no problem, they're available at Walmart now.

I think it's the only product they have that's not made in China.