Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 12:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should you win either jackpot: would you hesitate to write a check to fellow forumites?

Topic closed. 109 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 4 of 8
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4106 Posts
Posted: August 31, 2013, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

I think you can see the general consensus from your fellow forumites is that they would NOT write a check to nameless faceless people just because they happen to frequent the same online forum.

To try and claim false piety just because you say you'd not hesitate to write a check to someone in need following a disaster, well...let's just say, can we expect you, noise-gate, if you won a large JP, to empty the hundreds of millions in your account to write checks to all the people affected by Superstorm Sandy, the Midwest Floods, Oklahoma Tornadoes, Japan Tsunami, Haiti Earthquake, and so on?

Corerced charity is an ugly thing. It's in the same realm as all those parasites that prey on lottery JP winners, begging for money to help them out of their dire straits, just because they think the winner has money to give. The best thing about having or winning a lot of money is you have the power to say how it is used. Nobody should be telling you or coercing you into spending it way they think is right. People can choose to help others in the best way they feel is right.

This ill-conceived hypothetical did not smell right from the start, and now it's starting to stink. Sorry, gotta ding you bro. Move along, nothing to see here folks.
You are better than this NG.

Your response is hypocritical- especially with this remark of yours...
" People can choose to help others in the best way they feel is right"- live by those words & don't waste precious time with a rant.
This is a discussion not a debate. Its an opinion unless you think it is not and therefore tsunami's in Japan & other worldwide disasters should be thrown into the mix at which point you have lost your sense of direction.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    2657 Posts
    Posted: August 31, 2013, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

call some one who cares

Mr-Smith's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
      rekjavik
      Iceland
      Member #99537
      October 27, 2010
      177 Posts
      Posted: August 31, 2013, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

call some one who cares

ROFLROFLROFL

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?Patriot

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: August 31, 2013, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

" People can choose to help others in the best way they feel is right"- live by those words & don't waste precious time with a rant.
        This is a discussion not a debate. Its an opinion unless you think it is not and therefore tsunami's in Japan & other worldwide disasters should be thrown into the mix at which point you have lost your sense of direction.

I always lose my sense of direction when I'm stuck in the middle of a world wide disaster.

Mr-Smith's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
          rekjavik
          Iceland
          Member #99537
          October 27, 2010
          177 Posts

I Agree! There are lots of ways people can get help without receiving a check in the mail. Once I give half my jackpot to my favorite charity I can be certain that I have done my share of helping people in need.

Hurray!

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?Patriot

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts

ROFLROFLROFL

I Agree!

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
              Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #103813
              January 5, 2011
              1530 Posts
              Posted: August 31, 2013, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

This is an international forum, and we do have LP forumites from Japan, like Anfang71. I'll bet he can tell you a lot about the devastation, displacement and recovery that still faces thousands there, not to mention the ongoing nuclear disaster facing the country, and the world.

So I guess forumites cannot expect any check from you if they are not in the US? Got it.

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: August 31, 2013, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

I think you can see the general consensus from your fellow forumites is that they would NOT write a check to nameless faceless people just because they happen to frequent the same online forum.

To try and claim false piety just because you say you'd not hesitate to write a check to someone in need following a disaster, well...let's just say, can we expect you, noise-gate, if you won a large JP, to empty the hundreds of millions in your account to write checks to all the people affected by Superstorm Sandy, the Midwest Floods, Oklahoma Tornadoes, Japan Tsunami, Haiti Earthquake, and so on?

Corerced charity is an ugly thing. It's in the same realm as all those parasites that prey on lottery JP winners, begging for money to help them out of their dire straits, just because they think the winner has money to give. The best thing about having or winning a lot of money is you have the power to say how it is used. Nobody should be telling you or coercing you into spending it way they think is right. People can choose to help others in the best way they feel is right.

This ill-conceived hypothetical did not smell right from the start, and now it's starting to stink. Sorry, gotta ding you bro. Move along, nothing to see here folks.
                You are better than this NG.

I Agree! People who have a heart for helping others are ALREADY helping others no matter how much or how little they happen to have on hand. Judging people based on hypothetical BS is an act of futility.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4106 Posts
                  Posted: August 31, 2013, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

I always lose my sense of direction when I'm stuck in the middle of a world wide disaster.

Me too Ronnie.
                  Somehow along the way this topic went off the road that was paved with " good intentions". Consider that hoarding one's millions is foolishness, when persons like Bill Gates makes donations to worthwhile causes, its looked upon as a wonderful gesture yet if a member of this forum became a millionaire and wanted to help a fellow member of the forum who experienced a massive disaster- its termed coercion of others or worse.
                  You cannot take it with you. ..end of story.

Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4106 Posts
                    Posted: August 31, 2013, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

This is an international forum, and we do have LP forumites from Japan, like Anfang71. I'll bet he can tell you a lot about the devastation, displacement and recovery that still faces thousands there, not to mention the ongoing nuclear disaster facing the country, and the world.

So I guess forumites cannot expect any check from you if they are not in the US? Got it.

I don't know Anfang71- and the point you trying to make is so weak its on crutches.
                    Go in Peace.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: August 31, 2013, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

I offered to buy someones pool lottery tickets that were purchased for the wrong game. Would that count as benevolence on my part, or perhaps greed and a desire to capitalize off of someones mistake?

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                        NY
                        United States
                        Member #121961
                        January 21, 2012
                        3157 Posts
                        Posted: August 31, 2013, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

If you were close, your story was legit, and you actually worked, i would have no problem helping out. It would'nt be free though. You would have to wash my cars or clean the pool.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10348 Posts
                          Posted: August 31, 2013, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Word getting out & new people joining would impress Todd, but this has nothing to do with helping those who have suffered disaster and NEED help.its not like  one would say " Anyone here needing money here is my email address"
                          You smarter than this CT.

noise-gate,

And how many of those 'disasters' would be legitimate?

For one thing, degenerate gamblers looking to recover their losses would consider that a 'disaster'.

There's actually a website that teaches people how to write outlandish solicitation e-mails. If someone on this site won a jp and started handing out $$$$ the site would be pulverized with some of those creeps.

I think it was Artist77 who said she'd like to see a jp winner write a book about all the people that approached them trying to put the bite on them. Artist is right, that would be an interesting book.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: August 31, 2013, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

noise-gate,

And how many of those 'disasters' would be legitimate?

For one thing, degenerate gamblers looking to recover their losses would consider that a 'disaster'.

There's actually a website that teaches people how to write outlandish solicitation e-mails. If someone on this site won a jp and started handing out $$$$ the site would be pulverized with some of those creeps.

I think it was Artist77 who said she'd like to see a jp winner write a book about all the people that approached them trying to put the bite on them. Artist is right, that would be an interesting book.

I Agree! This thread was a bad idea from the start. The only place it can end up is people soliciting for money. I do think the book is a good idea, but it would take someone who is willing to field all the requests and even encourage them. Pedro Q has an FB page and no one ever posts there and he only has 46 likes.

Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4106 Posts
                              Posted: August 31, 2013, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! This thread was a bad idea from the start. The only place it can end up is people soliciting for money. I do think the book is a good idea, but it would take someone who is willing to field all the requests and even encourage them. Pedro Q has an FB page and no one ever posts there and he only has 46 likes.

Its only bad to you because you do not agree with it. Least you forget- you have answered more than once to this thread, if it was so bad, why bother responding?Personally- l never respond to threads that do not appeal to me- but that's just me, not you.
                              Your shortsightedness betrays you.

Oogle