Illinois Lottery adds new feature to numbers games

Sep 1, 2013, 11:49 am (69 comments)

Illinois Lottery

'Fireball' feature now on sale

Includes video report

By Todd Northrop

On Sept. 1, Illinois Lottery retailers will begin offering a new, optional feature called Fireball to its long-standing Pick 3 and Pick 4 daily draw games.

The new play option provides a chance to obtain more winning combinations.

The standard Pick 3 and Pick 4 games remain the same, as does the drawing schedule (seven days a week, twice a day) and game ticket price (starts at 50 cents).

Beginning Sunday, Sept. 1, players have the option to add Fireball for a cost equivalent to the player's original base wager.  For example, if someone wagers 50 cents on Pick 3 and adds the Fireball option, the cost of adding this option is an additional 50 cents (or $1 total cost).

A player does not have to select Fireball to play or win the Pick 3 and Pick 4 games.  If someone chooses to play Fireball, the choice applies to all games contained on a single play slip.

"The Illinois Lottery launched these games over 30 years ago, and today we feel that it is time to refresh Pick 3 and Pick 4 to increase the winning experience for our players," said Francesco Parola, VP of Sales and Marketing for Northstar Lottery Group.  "Ultimately, we want to appeal to more people across Illinois to play exciting games like Pick 3 and Pick 4.  We will support this new feature with a statewide marketing campaign that kicks off September 1."

How it Works

A single Fireball drawing is held after each Pick 3 and Pick 4 drawing.  For each Fireball drawing, one ball is selected, which can be either a numbered ball or an unnumbered ball.

When a numbered Fireball ball is drawn, the number on that ball may be used to replace any one of the numbers drawn in the preceding Pick 3 or Pick 4 drawing to create winning combinations.

If the Fireball number is the same as one of the player's numbers, and the player's numbers match the numbers drawn for the player's play style, a bonus prize will be awarded.  For example, if a player wagered 1-2-3 straight and those same numbers were drawn in the regular Pick 3 drawing, they could win yet another straight prize payout if the Fireball number was 1, 2, or 3, because replacing one of the numbers drawn with the same Fireball number would result in another straight win.

The Fireball ball is drawn from a pool of numbered and unnumbered balls (10 numbered balls 0–9 and 10 unnumbered balls for Pick 3; 10 numbered balls 0–9 and 20 unnumbered balls for Pick 4).  If an unnumbered ball is drawn for Fireball, there is no additional opportunity to win prizes in that draw.  When a numbered Fireball ball is selected it does not guarantee a cash prize will result — you still have to match one the number combination on your ticket using the Fireball number as a replacement for any one number in the drawing results.

You can only win a prize using the Fireball number if you purchase the Fireball option when you buy your lottery ticket.

The winning numbers, including the Fireball number, will be displayed on Lottery Post's Illinois Lottery Results page soon after each drawing.  The drawings will continue to take place at 12:40 p.m. and 9:22 p.m. and will be broadcast live on WGN TV.  Overall odds of winning a Pick 3 or Pick 4 prize vary based on the type of wager.

Play slips used for the old Pick 3 and Pick 4 games will not work for the new games.  New play slips will be available by September 1 at all Illinois Lottery retailers that sell Pick 3 and Pick 4.

VIDEO: How to play with the new Fireball feature

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

JoeBigLotto's avatarJoeBigLotto

This is a good and wonderful idea . I will try it out but in the back of my mind i think the first fireball l see is a hole in my wallect. They adding so much to cash3 and cash4 l bet it won't be long before we get big mac fries to go with it. Lol

Littleoldlady's avatarLittleoldlady

I think it is a rip off.  They are trying to generate more money off the P3 and P4 to pay for some of their other loser games.   If the "fireball" was a good deal, they wouldn't have 10 numbered balls and 10 un numbered balls.  They would have a tier type payoff instead. 

Jon D's avatarJon D

Hmmm...I wonder if this Fireball bet is actually a good deal or not.(better or worse than base 48-50% payout) The lottery never likes to show people what the total payout of a game is, or the side bets.

Odds and prize table from IL lottery site:

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

Quote: Originally posted by Littleoldlady on Sep 1, 2013

I think it is a rip off.  They are trying to generate more money off the P3 and P4 to pay for some of their other loser games.   If the "fireball" was a good deal, they wouldn't have 10 numbered balls and 10 un numbered balls.  They would have a tier type payoff instead. 

Agreed, Littleoldlady.

Consdidering this:

The Fireball ball is drawn from a pool of numbered and unnumbered balls (10 numbered balls 0–9 and 10 unnumbered balls for Pick 3; 10 numbered balls 0–9 and 20 unnumbered balls for Pick 4).  If an unnumbered ball is drawn for Fireball, there is no additional opportunity to win prizes in that draw.  When a numbered Fireball ball is selected it does not guarantee a cash prize will result — you still have to match one of the number combinations on your ticket using the Fireball number as a replacement for any one number on your ticket.

we can break it down into Northstar telling the Pcik 3 Pplayers thanks you for playing and the Pick 4 players we really want to thank you for playing. 10 numbered balls and 20 unnumbered balls.......unless they offered a side bet of number or unnumbered fireball this shouldn't be allowed.

This was supposed to start Auguest 25th but was postponed until September 1st to 'enhance' the game.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Littleoldlady on Sep 1, 2013

I'm not so sure it's a ripoff, because the Fireball number can be used in any position, and it is possible that it could help you win multiple times.  It might be a useful add-on especially if you play straights.  I'd be interested to see a mathematician dissect the odds when playing the Fireball option in different wagering scenarios.

phillylucky1

we need this in pa ...im always off by one maybe i'll hit more often

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by phillylucky1 on Sep 1, 2013

Thumbs Up

crazya305's avatarcrazya305

This is the biggest rip off. If I was y'all guys I stick to my same games you always been playing. Don't change your pattern because as soon you change your pattern that's when your numbers start to hit. Keep playing your same numbers. All they trying to do is make more money out of everyone. I'm just playing real about it. They are full of BS and they think they have all the sense. Play wisely

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

The Best Idea Ever Illinois Lottery Fireball sounds amazingParty

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Seems like it makes the 50/50 chance of winning now 25/75.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Sep 1, 2013

Seems like it makes the 50/50 chance of winning now 25/75.

Have you enlisted the services of a mathematician?

Tenaj's avatarTenaj

I think I like it.  It's like a wild card. Wish I can play it.

LottoMetro's avatarLottoMetro

Scam. They carefully word it to make it seem like a deal.

You pay $1 for a 50 cent ($250) wager with Fireball. That brings average return of 37.5 cents.

Or pay $1 for a 1 dollar wager ($500) without Fireball and get an average return of 50 cents.

My first figure omits additional $$$, but one of your numbers will only match the Fireball 5% of the time, so the "bonus winnings" are rare if ever.

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Sep 1, 2013

Have you enlisted the services of a mathematician?

No. I asked my drinking buddy.

Quote: Originally posted by on Apr 26, 2024

Yes, Fireball Roberts was a winner.

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by LottoMetro on Sep 1, 2013

Scam. They carefully word it to make it seem like a deal.

You pay $1 for a 50 cent ($250) wager with Fireball. That brings average return of 37.5 cents.

Or pay $1 for a 1 dollar wager ($500) without Fireball and get an average return of 50 cents.

My first figure omits additional $$$, but one of your numbers will only match the Fireball 5% of the time, so the "bonus winnings" are rare if ever.

Scam is a pretty harsh word, don't you think? They'd need some serious cojones to sell a new version of a game with more ways to win, but degrade the payout from 50% to 37.5% and think nobody will notice.

If I'm interpreting the prizes payments correctly, total payout with Fireball is significantly higher. About 61% for Straight and about 57% for Box, compared to the base of 50% and 48% respectively.

Those additional $$$ bonus winnings are certainly not trivial, nor a "rare if ever" occurrence. They are a near mathematical certainty.

cbr$'s avatarcbr$

This new option of playing with Fireball, really will increase interest of old & new players of Ill. pic3 and 4 game. After 30 years it could use a small make .

Todd's avatarTodd

Just so everyone is aware, when the first Pick 3 drawing with Fireball was drawn this afternoon, the Illinois Lottery published the results as a "blank" (non-numbered) Fireball.  It seems that was not correct, because sometime this afternoon or this evening they changed it from "blank" to a Fireball number 9.

Naturally, the Illinois Lottery Results page at LP has been updated with the correction.

The midday Pick 4 Fireball drawing is still showing as a blank however, so I assume that is correct.

Tonights drawings were a blank and a blank.

The non numbered balls are blue and the caller said........."I'm so sorry..."

Northstar, the private firm that took over the runinng of the Illinois lottery, has a knack for turning $1 games into $2 games, granted at the player's  option, so far anyway.

Someone here on LP not long ago said that Northstar just wasn't making the money for the lottery that they promised, that could very well be the motivation for these addittions to these games.

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Sep 1, 2013

Just so everyone is aware, when the first Pick 3 drawing with Fireball was drawn this afternoon, the Illinois Lottery published the results as a "blank" (non-numbered) Fireball.  It seems that was not correct, because sometime this afternoon or this evening they changed it from "blank" to a Fireball number 9.

Naturally, the Illinois Lottery Results page at LP has been updated with the correction.

The midday Pick 4 Fireball drawing is still showing as a blank however, so I assume that is correct.

This is definitely, not a credibility, or a confidence enhancer.  Conspiracy theorists are going to have a field day with this. My main concern is, why so many blank balls, instead of just one blank ball, to help represent the field of 0-9. The closer one looks at this, the more apparent it appears, that something really fishy is going on. A blatant effort designed to RIPOFF the consumers, most of the time.

cbr$'s avatarcbr$

Now, that the first human error has happen in the Fireball drawing . I  know I'm going to be watching both drawing on WGN.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Sep 1, 2013

This is definitely, not a credibility, or a confidence enhancer.  Conspiracy theorists are going to have a field day with this. My main concern is, why so many blank balls, instead of just one blank ball, to help represent the field of 0-9. The closer one looks at this, the more apparent it appears, that something really fishy is going on. A blatant effort designed to RIPOFF the consumers, most of the time.

Well, I think the question is, if you're going to spend an extra 50 cents, is it better to spend it on another pick or on the Fireball.  You could be right, it could be a ripoff.  Or you could be wrong.  Honestly, I don't know the answer because the odds calculation on the Fireball is a little too complex for me.  That's why I said earlier that the answer really requires a mathematician, or at least someone who could compare the odds.

Lotto Geek's avatarLotto Geek

This is a pretty ingenious idea.   I fear, though, that a lot of people are going to get confused by this. Even I'm a little sketchy on the details. Looks like I'm going to have to get the ol' blog going again.

Stack47

Well, I think the question is, if you're going to spend an extra 50 cents, is it better to spend it on another pick or on the Fireball.  You could be right, it could be a ripoff.  Or you could be wrong.  Honestly, I don't know the answer because the odds calculation on the Fireball is a little too complex for me.  That's why I said earlier that the answer really requires a mathematician, or at least someone who could compare the odds.

When a numbered Fireball ball is drawn, the number on that ball may be used to replace any one of the numbers drawn in the preceding Pick 3 or Pick 4 drawing to create winning combinations.

If the Fireball number is the same as one of the player's numbers, and the player's numbers match the numbers drawn for the player's play style, a bonus prize will be awarded.  For example, if a player wagered 1-2-3 straight and those same numbers were drawn in the regular Pick 3 drawing, they could win yet another straight prize payout if the Fireball number was 1, 2, or 3, because replacing one of the numbers drawn with the same Fireball number would result in another straight win.

From the first sentence it looks like if a player wagered on 124 straight and 123 was drawn they could still collect the Fireball prize if 4 is drawn. And it should be the same if 124 was a box bet. The extra bet gives a player a 1 in 20 chance of winning the second bet if they correctly match two digits. To win twice a player must correctly pick the winning combination and beat the 3 in 20 chances of matching the Fireball.

If the idea is to win twice, the player gets better odds by betting the same combination twice and not use Fireball. If the idea is to create a winning bet out of a losing bet, the Fireball chances are 1 in 20. Since the player is required to match two digits, betting on front pair (12-all), back pair (all-24), and outside pair (1-all-4) might be an option using Fireball providing a blank isn't drawn.

With a 50/50 chance of drawing a blank and if they keep drawing blanks, encouraging players to wager on Fireball will be very difficult.

Stack,

This tells any aware player all they have to know:

The Fireball ball is drawn from a pool of numbered and unnumbered balls (10 numbered balls 0–9 and 10 unnumbered balls for Pick 3; 10 numbered balls 0–9 and 20 unnumbered balls for Pick 4). 

On the Pick 3 it's 10 and 10, on the Pick 4 10 and 20.......the house has 2 to 1 the best of it on the Fireball.

THANKS FOR PLAYING, CHUMP.

Consider what this Northstar group did with the Illiois Pick 5, formerly Little Lotto now Lucky Day Lotto. For an extra dollar you can play Ez Match and if one of your Pick 5 numbers matches one of the five Ez Match numbers you win $1 to $500. The odds against winning $500 are 210,000:1. Hello, just put the addittional dollar on another Pick 5 ticket, $100,000 progressive.

These guys are marketers and self-promoters but not really doing much for the players.

Dear Northstar,

Here's an idea. Since there are going to be four Fireballs a day, and some of them will be blanks (most of them in the Pick 4), offer a side bet of the days Fireballs. (Wonder what the odds on this one would be, 0-9 plus 30 blanks to figure!)

Today's result was 9 _ _ _.

People could play the side bet just like Pick 4, straight, straight box, etc....and also a bet on the total would be interesting, too. Another side bet could be one number, three blanks, all blanks, all numbers, etc....

Sincerely,

Coin Toss, LP

Wink

Jon D's avatarJon D

From the way I read it and saw in the video, there are 4 chances to win when you play plus Fireball. The base prize, plus up to 3 additional prizes if a matching Fireball comes up to for a match in the 3 different positions. But you can only get 4 prizes (base plus 3 bonus) if you played a triple, and up to 3 prizes with a double, and up to 2 prizes with a single. Like they have shown for today:

I looked at the Straight prize, given the various scenarios, and the total payout for the game increases from base 50% return to 61% when the plus Fireball is played. I have also checked this with a simulation which shows 61-62% return with any number type. Box is a little more complicated so I just estimated that, could be around 54-57% return compared to 48% return for regular P3 box. And with the potential for all the extra matches and prizes, they actually needed to add the 10 blank balls otherwise the game would payout 100% total!(zero profit)

IL Pick 3 $1 
Number Combos Style Odds 1 in Prize Payout Return Occurs Share Total
Single 1 Straight 1000 $500 50.00% 50.00% 72% 36.00%
Double 1 Straight 1000 $500 50.00% 50.00% 27% 13.50%
Triple 1 Straight 1000 $500 50.00% 50.00% 10% 5.00% 50.00%
Single 6 Box 167 $80 48.00% 48.00% 72% 34.56%
Double 3 Box 333 $160 48.00% 48.00% 27% 12.96% 48.00%
IL Pick 3 Fireball $1 
Number Combos Style Odds 1 in Bonus Payout Return Occurs Share Total
Single 1 Straight 667 $500 75.00% 50.00% 72% 36.00%
Double 1 Straight 667 $1,000 150.00% 100.00% 27% 27.00%
Triple 1 Straight 667 $1,500 225.00% 150.00% 10% 15.00% 71.56%
Single 6 Box 111 $80 72.00% 48.00% 72% 34.56%
Double 3 Box 222 $320 144.00% 96.00% 27% 25.92% 61.09%
IL Pick 3 plus Fireball $2 
Number Combos Style Odds 1 in Prize Payout Return Occurs Share Total
Single 1 Straight 1000 $1,000 100.00% 50.00% 72% 36.00%
Double 1 Straight 1000 $1,500 150.00% 75.00% 27% 20.25%
Triple 1 Straight 1000 $2,000 200.00% 100.00% 10% 10.00% 60.78%
Single 6 Box 167 $160 96.00% 48.00% 72% 34.56%
Double 3 Box 333 $480 144.00% 72.00% 27% 19.44% 54.55%

Looks very interesting. Will be curious to see actual payouts players are getting.

Abdi's avatarAbdi

i don't this is a good idea,this will creat confussion.

JAP69's avatarJAP69

In the case of the pick 3 a player would only need to focus on getting two numbers exact or box on the ticket and then take the chance of a fireball being drawn. Pick two numbers in your selection and throw any number in for the third ball.

All low pair

all high pair

one low one high pair.

JAP69's avatarJAP69

Quote: Originally posted by JAP69 on Sep 2, 2013

In the case of the pick 3 a player would only need to focus on getting two numbers exact or box on the ticket and then take the chance of a fireball being drawn. Pick two numbers in your selection and throw any number in for the third ball.

All low pair

all high pair

one low one high pair.

Only a sample of how I would approach the fireball game taking the chance on a red ball being drawn.

Run some combos like this example in an exact order of your choice and take your chance on a fireball number being drawn.
Only four ways a pick 3 can fall using low pairs or high pairs.
all low
all high
one low two high
two low one high

An example of combinations without duplicating low pairs or high pairs
combo_ pairs
012__ 01 02 12
034__ 03 04 34
135__ 13 15 35
146__ 14 16 46
237__ 23 27 37
248__ 24 28 48

low pair 01 02 03 04 12 13 14 23 24 34
low high 15 16 27 28 35 37 46 48 

589__ 58 59 89
680__ 06 08 68
693__ 36 39 69
781__ 17 18 78
790__ 07 09 79

high pair 56 57 58 59 67 68 69 78 79 89
low high  06 07 08 09 17 18 36 39

Harsh but a reality. The lottery never implements changes unless they would benefit the lottery itself, not the player.

I think your calculations are off. When playing straight with Fireball if a player wins they do not win $500 on a $1 wager. They win the 50 cent wager which returns $250. Only if one of their balls matches the Fireball do they win again

That's why I said they carefully worded it. All you have to do is multiply the odds by the winnings to get the expected return. 3/2000 times $250 is definitely worse than 1/1000 times $500. So 95% of the time they lose 12.5 cents more. Boxes and everything else has worse returns anyway so I only calculated for straight.

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by LottoMetro on Sep 2, 2013

Harsh but a reality. The lottery never implements changes unless they would benefit the lottery itself, not the player.

I think your calculations are off. When playing straight with Fireball if a player wins they do not win $500 on a $1 wager. They win the 50 cent wager which returns $250. Only if one of their balls matches the Fireball do they win again

That's why I said they carefully worded it. All you have to do is multiply the odds by the winnings to get the expected return. 3/2000 times $250 is definitely worse than 1/1000 times $500. So 95% of the time they lose 12.5 cents more. Boxes and everything else has worse returns anyway so I only calculated for straight.

No, you don't understand the lottery industry. You're a new member so you should read up on some other articles some more.

Over the years the lotteries have introduced games with successively higher payouts above the standard 50% return of daily and jackpot games.(particularly scratch games) The reasoning being higher payouts brings in new players, or entices existing players to play more. A lot of people complain about lotteries trying to boost profits, but they can't really do that. Their profit margin is largely fixed in the legislation. What they can do is increase revenue, thereby increasing funds for public benefit. But they can't line their pockets with extra profits.

TX recently introduced a new All or Nothing game with a 56% return. But they launched it with a fatal flaw of not having a liability cap, so they had to suspend it, but it was brought back after a rules revision

SC recently created a new type of Cash 6 game with a 74% return. But it is being cancelled due to poor sales. You wonder why they come up with these new games and don't advertise the increased payout, and the prize structure is somewhat confusing, and they are surprized when sales are lackluster.

As for this new IL Pick 3 plus Fireball, my initial numbers were a little off. The return is actually higher at 62.5% return for Straight play. Read the rules and watch the video on the IL lottery website. Playing Fireball does not diminish your straight bet, it gives you chances to win up to 3 more times with an extra matching side bet, up to $2,000 for Pick 3.(and $25,000 for Pick 4) Hit ratio for basic Pick 3 straight is 0.1%, but with plus Fireball it is 0.25% hits with all the other ways to win.

JAP69's avatarJAP69

Only a sample of how I would approach the fireball game taking the chance on a red ball being drawn.

Run some combos like this example in an exact order of your choice and take your chance on a fireball number being drawn.
Only four ways a pick 3 can fall using low pairs or high pairs.
all low
all high
one low two high
two low one high

An example of combinations without duplicating low pairs or high pairs
combo_ pairs
012__ 01 02 12
034__ 03 04 34
135__ 13 15 35
146__ 14 16 46
237__ 23 27 37
248__ 24 28 48

low pair 01 02 03 04 12 13 14 23 24 34
low high 15 16 27 28 35 37 46 48 

589__ 58 59 89
680__ 06 08 68
693__ 36 39 69
781__ 17 18 78
790__ 07 09 79

high pair 56 57 58 59 67 68 69 78 79 89
low high  06 07 08 09 17 18 36 39

If you think a double is going to drop with a fireball number dropping. You have all the trips to play.

Playing trips with a fireball number dropping would be an exact order bet. But the fireball number has got to drop to win unless the trip selected drops.

Well I am neither new to this forum nor the "lottery industry;" however, I am calculating payouts using "with Fireball" odds. I do not see other payoffs listed anywhere in the rules. I can't really comment on it further without other information

Jon D's avatarJon D

Well I am neither new to this forum nor the "lottery industry;" however, I am calculating payouts using "with Fireball" odds. I do not see other payoffs listed anywhere in the rules. I can't really comment on it further without other information

Oh really, my mistake. Your account ID says new member, Sept 1, 2013. In general, you aren't supposed to make more than one account on LP. What was your old ID?

As for AoN, you say my 56% number is incorrect and should be 51%, so could you then show me your math, and compare that to the graph in the link in my post above?

For the IL Pick3 plus Fireball, the basic odds should look something like this:

IL Pick 3 plus Fireball (Str) $2 
Total Return Prizes Odds 1 in Match
62.50% $500  2,000 Fireball 3
50.03% $500  2,000 Fireball 2
37.54% $500  2,000 Fireball 1
25.04% $500  1,000 Straight
_ Overall: 400.00 _
IL Pick 3 plus Fireball (Box3) $2 
60.00% $160  667 Fireball 3
48.07% $160  667 Fireball 2
36.11% $160  667 Fireball 1
24.11% $160  333 3-Way Box
_ Overall: 133.33 _
IL Pick 3 plus Fireball (Box6) $2 
60.00% $80  333 Fireball 3
48.14% $80  333 Fireball 2
36.22% $80  333 Fireball 1
24.22% $80  167 6-Way Box
_ Overall: 66.67 _

You do not have to have an account to browse the forums or read articles.

Yes, I corrected my post by removing that claim. It was I in fact who was wrong in my math (not counting jackpot AoN twice). Anyway, AoN is a native game with no add-on wagers so I don't think it is accurate to compare it to a game that features side bets.

You are comparing returns for $1 plus $1; I was calculating 50 cent plus 50 cent.

You play 50 cent wager on 1-2-4 straight and add Fireball. Lottery draws 1-2-3 but the Fireball is blank (happens 50% of the time). You lose $1.

You play 50 cent wager on 1-2-4 straight and add Fireball. Lottery draws 1-2-3 but the Fireball is 5 or any number not drawn or blank (happens 95% of the time). You lose $1.

You play 50 cent wager on 1-2-4 straight and add Fireball. Lottery draws 1-2-3 and the Fireball is 3 (happens 5% of the time)! You win $250, because it replaces your number (50 cent wager payoff is $250).

You play 50 cent wager on 1-2-4 straight and add Fireball. Lottery draws 1-2-4 and the Fireball is 6 or blank or any number not drawn (again 95% of the time). You win $250 on a bet you would have won $500 for the same cost.

You play 50 cent wager on 1-2-4 straight and add Fireball. Lottery draws 1-2-4 and the Fireball is 4 (happens 5% of the time)! I am pretty sure you only win $500 but maybe it is $250 x 3 since there are 3 digits. Okay let's say it multiplies, so you win $750.

Now read all of those outcomes and tell me how paying twice your bet is better. You will only either match or use the Fireball to replace a number 5% of the time. The payoff would have to be MUCH bigger than what I'm seeing to make it worth doubling your cost.

Gah, editing time limits! Approve I think this illustrates it better.....using "Straight" since naturally it has highest EV.

My Numbers Fireball Fireball Occurences Drawn With Fireball (NET @ $1.00) Without Fireball (NET @ $1.00)
123 Blank 50% 124 -$1.00 -$1.00
123 0 5% 124 -$1.00 -$1.00
123 1 5% 124 -$1.00 -$1.00
123 2 5% 124 -$1.00 -$1.00
123 3 5% 124 -$1.00 -$1.00
123 4 5% 124 $249.00 -$1.00
123 5 5% 124 -$1.00 -$1.00
123 6 5% 124 -$1.00 -$1.00
123 7 5% 124 -$1.00 -$1.00
123 8 5% 124 -$1.00 -$1.00
123 9 5% 124 -$1.00 -$1.00
124 Blank 50% 124 $249.00 $499.00
124 0 5% 124 $249.00 $499.00
124 1 5% 124 $499.00 (?) $499.00
124 2 5% 124 $499.00 (?) $499.00
124 3 5% 124 $249.00 $499.00
124 4 5% 124 $499.00 (?) $499.00
124 5 5% 124 $249.00 $499.00
124 6 5% 124 $249.00 $499.00
124 7 5% 124 $249.00 $499.00
124 8 5% 124 $249.00 $499.00
124 9 5% 124 $249.00 $499.00

It helps you win an additional 5% of the time, but when you do win it helps you lose half your winnings most of the time! Even if they pay $750 for Fireball, the average gain is $117.42 vs. $249.00 without. Yeah, sounds like a real bargain! Clown

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Sep 2, 2013

Stack,

This tells any aware player all they have to know:

The Fireball ball is drawn from a pool of numbered and unnumbered balls (10 numbered balls 0–9 and 10 unnumbered balls for Pick 3; 10 numbered balls 0–9 and 20 unnumbered balls for Pick 4). 

On the Pick 3 it's 10 and 10, on the Pick 4 10 and 20.......the house has 2 to 1 the best of it on the Fireball.

THANKS FOR PLAYING, CHUMP.

Consider what this Northstar group did with the Illiois Pick 5, formerly Little Lotto now Lucky Day Lotto. For an extra dollar you can play Ez Match and if one of your Pick 5 numbers matches one of the five Ez Match numbers you win $1 to $500. The odds against winning $500 are 210,000:1. Hello, just put the addittional dollar on another Pick 5 ticket, $100,000 progressive.

These guys are marketers and self-promoters but not really doing much for the players.

Dear Northstar,

Here's an idea. Since there are going to be four Fireballs a day, and some of them will be blanks (most of them in the Pick 4), offer a side bet of the days Fireballs. (Wonder what the odds on this one would be, 0-9 plus 30 blanks to figure!)

Today's result was 9 _ _ _.

People could play the side bet just like Pick 4, straight, straight box, etc....and also a bet on the total would be interesting, too. Another side bet could be one number, three blanks, all blanks, all numbers, etc....

Sincerely,

Coin Toss, LP

Wink

"These guys are marketers and self-promoters but not really doing much for the players."

To win both bets, the player must first beat 999 to 1 odds to get 3 chances out of 20 to win the second bet too. IMO, there is no real extra value by playing Fireball trying to win both bets when we can simply bet on the same combo twice.

The My 3 game gives the player the chance to turn a losing bet into a winning bet by lowering the straight and box payoffs and not a bad bet for players that can't hit straight or box. The Fireball is just an extension of turning a losing bet into a winning by giving longer odds of winning and giving a larger payoff for doing the same thing.

They already know players believe they can beat 175 million to 1 odds based on MM and PB sales volumes so why not offer a pick-3 option with much lower odds than MM and PB?

Jon D's avatarJon D

You play 50 cent wager on 1-2-4 straight and add Fireball. Lottery draws 1-2-3 but the Fireball is blank (happens 50% of the time). You lose $1.

You play 50 cent wager on 1-2-4 straight and add Fireball. Lottery draws 1-2-3 but the Fireball is 5 or any number not drawn or blank (happens 95% of the time). You lose $1.

You play 50 cent wager on 1-2-4 straight and add Fireball. Lottery draws 1-2-3 and the Fireball is 3 (happens 5% of the time)! You win $250, because it replaces your number (50 cent wager payoff is $250).

You play 50 cent wager on 1-2-4 straight and add Fireball. Lottery draws 1-2-4 and the Fireball is 6 or blank or any number not drawn (again 95% of the time). You win $250 on a bet you would have won $500 for the same cost.

You play 50 cent wager on 1-2-4 straight and add Fireball. Lottery draws 1-2-4 and the Fireball is 4 (happens 5% of the time)! I am pretty sure you only win $500 but maybe it is $250 x 3 since there are 3 digits. Okay let's say it multiplies, so you win $750.

Now read all of those outcomes and tell me how paying twice your bet is better. You will only either match or use the Fireball to replace a number 5% of the time. The payoff would have to be MUCH bigger than what I'm seeing to make it worth doubling your cost.

This new game is very unique and can be confusing. I also found a error on the news story that I will report to Todd, maybe that is also part of the confusion.

You play 50 cent wager on 1-2-4 straight and add Fireball. Lottery draws 1-2-3 and the Fireball is 3(happens 5% of the time)! You win $250, because it replaces your number (50 cent wager payoff is $250).

Actually, this one you lose. Fireball number replaces winning numbers, not your numbers.

You play 50 cent wager on 1-2-4 straight and add Fireball. Lottery draws 1-2-4 and the Fireball is 4(happens 5% of the time)! I am pretty sure you only win $500 but maybe it is $250 x 3 since there are 3 digits. Okay let's say it multiplies, so you win $750.

Actually, this one you win $250 str plus $250 bonus = $500.

Look at this picture, it tells a thousand words:

Number drawn 605 and Fireball 9. This gives you 4 chances to win: 605, 905, 695, 609. but since this is a single and the Fireball is a different number, your single player number can only match 1 prize in this example.

As you know, if you're talking about EV, you can't just evaluate a few plays to determine the payout of a game, the EV is the average over a long period of time or infinity. You have to get the answer from the odds, or run it on a simulator.

I've done both, looking at the odds and prize structure to see what it would payout overall. And I also mocked up a test that simulates millions of plays in under a minute to verify the payouts. It is 0.625 EV for Pick 3 plus Fireball straight, and 0.6 for Box. That beats 0.5 and 0.48 for basic pick 3, and doesn't matter how much you bet, 50c, $1, $2, the EV is the same.

Yes this is certainly a tricky game. I will be withholding further conclusions until I hear back from Illinois

I was already aware of the errors in my post (hence the following post); unfortunately I didn't catch them until the post editing expiry had passed.

Jon D's avatarJon D

Yes this is certainly a tricky game. I will be withholding further conclusions until I hear back from Illinois

I was already aware of the errors in my post (hence the following post); unfortunately I didn't catch them until the post editing expiry had passed.

It is a very unique game, the most complex I have seen in a while. If it confuses LP people, what can they expect from the general public? I don't think it is explained very well on the website. The video is best, but not complete.

But I like what I see so far. I wish we had this in CA,(it would be pari-mutuel of course) I'd be all over that thing testing it out in the first week.

Is there nobody on LP from Illinois that can get us some real results? Don't see any mention Fireball in the P3 IL thread.

Romancandle?

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by Jon D on Sep 2, 2013

This new game is very unique and can be confusing. I also found a error on the news story that I will report to Todd, maybe that is also part of the confusion.

You play 50 cent wager on 1-2-4 straight and add Fireball. Lottery draws 1-2-3 and the Fireball is 3(happens 5% of the time)! You win $250, because it replaces your number (50 cent wager payoff is $250).

Actually, this one you lose. Fireball number replaces winning numbers, not your numbers.

You play 50 cent wager on 1-2-4 straight and add Fireball. Lottery draws 1-2-4 and the Fireball is 4(happens 5% of the time)! I am pretty sure you only win $500 but maybe it is $250 x 3 since there are 3 digits. Okay let's say it multiplies, so you win $750.

Actually, this one you win $250 str plus $250 bonus = $500.

Look at this picture, it tells a thousand words:

Number drawn 605 and Fireball 9. This gives you 4 chances to win: 605, 905, 695, 609. but since this is a single and the Fireball is a different number, your single player number can only match 1 prize in this example.

As you know, if you're talking about EV, you can't just evaluate a few plays to determine the payout of a game, the EV is the average over a long period of time or infinity. You have to get the answer from the odds, or run it on a simulator.

I've done both, looking at the odds and prize structure to see what it would payout overall. And I also mocked up a test that simulates millions of plays in under a minute to verify the payouts. It is 0.625 EV for Pick 3 plus Fireball straight, and 0.6 for Box. That beats 0.5 and 0.48 for basic pick 3, and doesn't matter how much you bet, 50c, $1, $2, the EV is the same.

I don't believe there is an error in the news story, but if you see one then by all means report it.  What is the error?

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Sep 2, 2013

I don't believe there is an error in the news story, but if you see one then by all means report it.  What is the error?

I thought I sent you a message, but maybe didn't go through.

The How it Works section, end of 4th paragraph:

you still have to match one of the number combinations on your ticket using the Fireball number as a replacement for any one number on your ticket.

Should be:

you still have to match one of the number combinations on your ticket using the Fireball number as a replacement for any one number of the winning numbers.

From the IL Pick 3 FAQ section:

http://www.illinoislottery.com/en-us/Pick_3.html

What Is plus FIREBALL? How Do I Win With This Add-On Feature?

After the winning numbers have been drawn for both Pick 3 and Pick 4 base games, an additional ball will be drawn for each game from a pool of numbered and non-numbered balls (10 numbered plus FIREBALLS [0–9] and 10 blank balls in the pool for Pick 3). For Pick 4, there are 10 numbered plus FIREBALLS [0–9] and 20 blank balls. If a numbered plus FIREBALL is drawn, players who selected plus FIREBALL will automatically win if the plus FIREBALL number can replace any number of the winning numbers selected to create a winning combination that matches the player’s numbers.

Example: A player selects the numbers 2 5 3 and adds plus FIREBALL to their straight wager. The lottery draws the winning numbers 1 5 3, in this example with a plus FIREBALL number of 2 . In this instance, the plus FIREBALL number 2 would replace the first digit of the winning numbers drawn to create the combination. Because the player selected the plus FIREBALL add-on feature, they were able to turn a non-winning ticket into a winning ticket by matching the new winning number combination ( 2 5 3 ) to their selected numbers ( 2 5 3 ).

JAP69's avatarJAP69

I thought I sent you a message, but maybe didn't go through.

The How it Works section, end of 4th paragraph:

you still have to match one of the number combinations on your ticket using the Fireball number as a replacement for any one number on your ticket.

Should be:

you still have to match one of the number combinations on your ticket using the Fireball number as a replacement for any one number of the winning numbers.

From the IL Pick 3 FAQ section:

http://www.illinoislottery.com/en-us/Pick_3.html

What Is plus FIREBALL? How Do I Win With This Add-On Feature?

After the winning numbers have been drawn for both Pick 3 and Pick 4 base games, an additional ball will be drawn for each game from a pool of numbered and non-numbered balls (10 numbered plus FIREBALLS [0–9] and 10 blank balls in the pool for Pick 3). For Pick 4, there are 10 numbered plus FIREBALLS [0–9] and 20 blank balls. If a numbered plus FIREBALL is drawn, players who selected plus FIREBALL will automatically win if the plus FIREBALL number can replace any number of the winning numbers selected to create a winning combination that matches the player’s numbers.

Example: A player selects the numbers 2 5 3 and adds plus FIREBALL to their straight wager. The lottery draws the winning numbers 1 5 3, in this example with a plus FIREBALL number of 2 . In this instance, the plus FIREBALL number 2 would replace the first digit of the winning numbers drawn to create the combination. Because the player selected the plus FIREBALL add-on feature, they were able to turn a non-winning ticket into a winning ticket by matching the new winning number combination ( 2 5 3 ) to their selected numbers ( 2 5 3 ).

The way I understand it the fireball number must match the losing digit on your selected number

Player selection 253

lottery winning number 153

The fireball number must be a 2 for the player to win.

You match two of the three lottery winning digits either exact or box depending on the wager. Whatever your losing digit is must match the fireball number.

I thought the fireball number whatever it is would replace whatever your losing digit is.

JAP69's avatarJAP69

The way I understand it the fireball number must match the losing digit on your selected number

Player selection 253

lottery winning number 153

The fireball number must be a 2 for the player to win.

You match two of the three lottery winning digits either exact or box depending on the wager. Whatever your losing digit is must match the fireball number.

I thought the fireball number whatever it is would replace whatever your losing digit is.

Today, 9:08 am
Today, 11:06 am -
Posted: Today, 2:08 pm -

The three above post I made on the fireball game need to be ignored.

Stack47

Oh really, my mistake. Your account ID says new member, Sept 1, 2013. In general, you aren't supposed to make more than one account on LP. What was your old ID?

As for AoN, you say my 56% number is incorrect and should be 51%, so could you then show me your math, and compare that to the graph in the link in my post above?

For the IL Pick3 plus Fireball, the basic odds should look something like this:

IL Pick 3 plus Fireball (Str) $2 
62.50% $500  2,000 Fireball 3
50.03% $500  2,000 Fireball 2
37.54% $500  2,000 Fireball 1
25.04% $500  1,000 Straight
_ Overall: 400.00 _
IL Pick 3 plus Fireball (Box3) $2 
60.00% $160  667 Fireball 3
48.07% $160  667 Fireball 2
36.11% $160  667 Fireball 1
24.11% $160  333 3-Way Box
_ Overall: 133.33 _
IL Pick 3 plus Fireball (Box6) $2 
60.00% $80  333 Fireball 3
48.14% $80  333 Fireball 2
36.22% $80  333 Fireball 1
24.22% $80  167 6-Way Box
_ Overall: 66.67 _

I don't understand how you can get a 51% return on the Fireball matching 2 digits because it's only 1 chance out of 20. Did you include the odds against matching 2 digits with the odds against the Fireball being your missing digit?

According to the odds chart on the Illinois site, the best they can get is 15:1000 by playing Front pair or Back pair. If a player wins on a straight double, they when the Fireball twice if it matches their double digit. Winning on a triple using Fireball gives the player four straight matches. Play a quad in the pick-4, hit it and matching the Fireball is five straight wins. $12,500 ain't bad for $1 bet.

Before quitting your day job, the odds against doing that are 300,000 to 1.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by phillylucky1 on Sep 1, 2013

I Agree! wish we had it here, but i can still PLAY it there, it's gonna be FUN!Dance

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Sep 3, 2013

I don't understand how you can get a 51% return on the Fireball matching 2 digits because it's only 1 chance out of 20. Did you include the odds against matching 2 digits with the odds against the Fireball being your missing digit?

According to the odds chart on the Illinois site, the best they can get is 15:1000 by playing Front pair or Back pair. If a player wins on a straight double, they when the Fireball twice if it matches their double digit. Winning on a triple using Fireball gives the player four straight matches. Play a quad in the pick-4, hit it and matching the Fireball is five straight wins. $12,500 ain't bad for $1 bet.

Before quitting your day job, the odds against doing that are 300,000 to 1.

I don't see the 51% you're referring to. And I didn't even look at pairs, only Pick 3 plus Fireball Str and Box which has 62.5% and 60% return respectively.

But as for the pick 4 quad, yeah, they make a point to advertise that in the video, "you can win $25,000!" But the chances of that are pretty slim.

It seems people are equally divided whether this is a rip off or not. Well the answer is both depends on who gets the fire ball. If I played 1111 and add fireball for $1 and if fireball is 1 well l walk away with $25,000 then I will say what a genius idea but if I play extra dollar and get a blank then I be screeming show me the money - show me the money- so to say it all depends on who wins with the fireball. And that cute lady in the illinios sales video I think she is a firehead she makes me feel good like a winner already am taking her to vegas after l win my $25,000 for a real week of real fireBALL. Lol

All joke aside this idea will only benefit big players like me. I play $25 per draw easily and adding extra $25 for a chance to double up or triple up is really worth it. Instead of me winning my lousy $500 I may now win $1000 extra if I have a double 7 like l always do and the fireball is lucky 7 well I may win $500 times 3 = $1500 not bad and I could use that to play my 1111 with fireball for a month and win my $25,000 and take that cute lottery chic to ceaser palace vegas for real fireball sounds awesome. Lol

surimaribo24's avatarsurimaribo24

wow i hope liljimy add that feature down here .

uprrman's avataruprrman

well if you played 730 str  and it comes up you get 500. and if you add fireball and you win you get 1000. now you gotta go to the lottery office to get paid and they take taxes out you get maybe 750.

now if you play 730 str on 2 tickets you win 1000.00 no tax

WWWBUKTN

Fireball is a joke.   Illinois Lottery has become a massive joke trying to milk all their customers for nearly a thousand dollars this year in new twists and add on's to their standard game.

Thankfully they annoyed me enough I've stopped playing everything but Powerball and MegaMillions.   

I do however follow what happens as I'm wondering how much I've saved in the seven weeks since stopping play.   Of course my numbers never did hit during that time so it's been a big win for me.   That said if you use this new Fireball and you're a regular dollar player you need to hit the Pick 4 eight times this year just to remain afloat and let's be honest when is the last time you've done that.    Granted if you hit a straight jackpot you're well ahead of the game but this Fireball is a joke since there's as many non numbers as there are numbers in the hopper. 

The last two days the Pick 4 has been a blue ball and since this started like five days ago only three of the drawings for the Pick 4 were not blue balls.

This is a horrible idea and laughable at best.

Quote: Originally posted by uprrman on Sep 4, 2013

well if you played 730 str  and it comes up you get 500. and if you add fireball and you win you get 1000. now you gotta go to the lottery office to get paid and they take taxes out you get maybe 750.

now if you play 730 str on 2 tickets you win 1000.00 no tax

for one there is no such thing as $250 on tax on a $1000 winning ticket have won $700 b4 on one ticket tax was $36 and have won $5000 b4 tax was like $200 . so they do not take alot of tax like you think.  fireball has got nothing to do with you buying two tickets you can do that and still loss where you could have with fireball. for example you play 730 twice and the winning number is 735 and the fireball is 5. Now guess what your two tickets is worthless but under this case with fireball you win only $500 and no tax. So dont worry about the tax if you want money you love tax too and get use to it. i have won many times b4 with no tax liabilities because my 20 tickets was less than $500 each and i have won $5000 with tax. Guess what i had more fun with paying tax than i did without .i had to stop at 20 different stores to cash each ticket because most store will do only one ticket and since am getting one ticket at a time i was spending at a faster rate like the money is endless b4 you know it you buying every scratch of ticket that is screeming at you buy me you have the money cheap guy. But with tax you get one check and its done you don't have to go to lottery office you can send it in thru mail two day piority i had one of my girl friends mail in one onetime and she got paid am that generous to my women lol. Every state is different in processing in missouri they will give you two seperate checks of $600 each because you have two seprate winning numbers. so don't jump into conclussion you have to pay tax first call the lottery office to verify if they will break your ticket since it is a multi win and if that is the case then zero tax. personally i don't like tax but for extra $1 and a little tax i don't really mind just show me the money if tax doesn't  get you here it will get you there.

Here are actual results from a live drawing:

Midday Wed Sep 4

202  FB  8

Wininng Plus Fireball Combinations

And this is from the Payouts on the Results page:

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

All prize amounts based on a wager of $1.

Match   Prize Amount 
Straight $500
Box (6-way) $80
Straight + Box (6-way) - Straight match $290
Straight + Box (6-way) - Box match $40
Pair $50
Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by WWWBUKTN on Sep 4, 2013

Fireball is a joke.   Illinois Lottery has become a massive joke trying to milk all their customers for nearly a thousand dollars this year in new twists and add on's to their standard game.

Thankfully they annoyed me enough I've stopped playing everything but Powerball and MegaMillions.   

I do however follow what happens as I'm wondering how much I've saved in the seven weeks since stopping play.   Of course my numbers never did hit during that time so it's been a big win for me.   That said if you use this new Fireball and you're a regular dollar player you need to hit the Pick 4 eight times this year just to remain afloat and let's be honest when is the last time you've done that.    Granted if you hit a straight jackpot you're well ahead of the game but this Fireball is a joke since there's as many non numbers as there are numbers in the hopper. 

The last two days the Pick 4 has been a blue ball and since this started like five days ago only three of the drawings for the Pick 4 were not blue balls.

This is a horrible idea and laughable at best.

Playing IL Pick 3/4 plus Fireball actually gives higher payout that standard pick 3/4.

With Pick 4 plus Fireball, it pays out 58.3% for Straight and 56% for Box. That's higher than the standard Pick 4 payout of 50% for straight and 48% for box.

The Pick 4 Fireball ratio means it comes out 1 in 3 draws. So far there have been 3 Fireballs in 8 draws, that's a little better than expected, but the results will vary over time. The extra blank balls are required to offset the extra chances to win provided by Fireball: you get up to 5 chances to win when a fireball is drawn, depending on the type of number you picked, like the example below:

Overall odds for Pick 4 plus Fireball straight is 1 in 4286.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Jon D on Sep 5, 2013

Playing IL Pick 3/4 plus Fireball actually gives higher payout that standard pick 3/4.

With Pick 4 plus Fireball, it pays out 58.3% for Straight and 56% for Box. That's higher than the standard Pick 4 payout of 50% for straight and 48% for box.

The Pick 4 Fireball ratio means it comes out 1 in 3 draws. So far there have been 3 Fireballs in 8 draws, that's a little better than expected, but the results will vary over time. The extra blank balls are required to offset the extra chances to win provided by Fireball: you get up to 5 chances to win when a fireball is drawn, depending on the type of number you picked, like the example below:

Overall odds for Pick 4 plus Fireball straight is 1 in 4286.

The Fireball gives player more chances to win, but they must double the cost of play. A way to evaluate the Fireball option without doubling the cost of play is to compare it to the traditional back-up bet, $1 straight/$1 box. Any straight number has a 0.1% of winning and has a 2.7% chance of matching two digits. If a number doesn't hit straight, there is 0.5% chance of winning the box and $80. If you don't hit the number straight, but match two digits there is 5% of matching the Fireball and winning $500.

If your straight matches two digits on a back-up bet, you lose $2. If your straight matches two digits and use Fireball, there is still a 5% chance of winning $500. IMO comparing the bets, the trade off is the number of times you lose a back-up bet compared to the number of times you match two of the digits.

The My3 games combines three bets for the price of one so don't be surprised if someday a state lottery will allow any type of bet on their pick-3 games. Bet the sum, two digits in any position, one digit in the correct digit position, one digit in any position, all high/low, etc.

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Sep 6, 2013

The Fireball gives player more chances to win, but they must double the cost of play. A way to evaluate the Fireball option without doubling the cost of play is to compare it to the traditional back-up bet, $1 straight/$1 box. Any straight number has a 0.1% of winning and has a 2.7% chance of matching two digits. If a number doesn't hit straight, there is 0.5% chance of winning the box and $80. If you don't hit the number straight, but match two digits there is 5% of matching the Fireball and winning $500.

If your straight matches two digits on a back-up bet, you lose $2. If your straight matches two digits and use Fireball, there is still a 5% chance of winning $500. IMO comparing the bets, the trade off is the number of times you lose a back-up bet compared to the number of times you match two of the digits.

The My3 games combines three bets for the price of one so don't be surprised if someday a state lottery will allow any type of bet on their pick-3 games. Bet the sum, two digits in any position, one digit in the correct digit position, one digit in any position, all high/low, etc.

You could also compare with same cost of play:

Regular Pick 3 Str at $1 wager, will have a hit 1 in 1000 plays, for $500 prize. 50% return.

Pick 3 plus Fireball Str at 50c wager,($1 total) will have a hit 1 in 400 plays, for $250 prize, or $500 in 800 plays. 62.5% return.

The My 3 is an interesting game with 3 chances to win: Str, Box or Pair. It doesn't have as good a payout at just 50.8% return. But with overall odds as low as 1 in 30, it's can provide more player satisfaction with smaller wins than the other two games for the same buck.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Jon D on Sep 6, 2013

You could also compare with same cost of play:

Regular Pick 3 Str at $1 wager, will have a hit 1 in 1000 plays, for $500 prize. 50% return.

Pick 3 plus Fireball Str at 50c wager,($1 total) will have a hit 1 in 400 plays, for $250 prize, or $500 in 800 plays. 62.5% return.

The My 3 is an interesting game with 3 chances to win: Str, Box or Pair. It doesn't have as good a payout at just 50.8% return. But with overall odds as low as 1 in 30, it's can provide more player satisfaction with smaller wins than the other two games for the same buck.

I'll try an experiment on the ILL. predictions board by using ten lines with a 2if3 guarantee for the next 25 drawings and check the Fireball results.

WWWBUKTN

I'll start by admitting it's a very small sample size but after one week of Fireball for the Pick Four a number has come in five out of fourteen draws.   (Pick 3's Fireball has come in nine of fourteen times but I don't play that.)   My usual numbers were 8037 (ironically one off tonight and the Fireball wouldn't have helped) and I was playing a dollar box and a dollar straight every drawing.   This added up to $28 per week and if I were still playing and also now adding Fireball that would bring it to $56 per week, $224 per month and $2,688 per year.   That said I would have to hit my combination in box every month just to lose $288 per year.   Even if it hit straight it's $3,500 after taxes making me a whopping $812.  It's not worth it whatsoever.   If you were guaranteed a number would hit every night, like it should be, it still wouldn't be worth it.   I know it's a matter of time before they start doing promotions removing some of the blue balls for a week or two. 

The poster who said there will come a time when the lottery starts putting up prop plays such as totals of your numbers, first and last numbers and nonsense like that was 100% right.   A perfect example is EZ Match which I saw in Florida first before it came to Illinois, I was stunned.

It still amazes me that I have to illegally play poker online for money yet I can go to my corner store and buy thirty dollar scratch off or risk money on gimmics like Fireball and the even worse MY3.

Before Northstar moved Lotto to Thursday, the biggest things going in Illinois on Thursday and Sundays nights was Lucky Day Lotto, $100,000 progressive.

Now that Lotto is on Monday, Thursday, and Satruday I'm thinking Northstar is going to come up with some kind of Sunday game that offers more than a $100,000 progressive.

And not long after it comes out Northstar will have an option to turn another $1 game to a $2 game.

Hi Northstar, we know you're reading this thread.

See Ya!

vholling's avatarvholling

I don't think it fair if you play additional money for a fireball and there is not a fireball drawn I don't think this will go well with the p3 and p4. They should set a certain day for the fire balls because you just wasted another dollar and there was no fireball drawn.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Sep 6, 2013

I'll try an experiment on the ILL. predictions board by using ten lines with a 2if3 guarantee for the next 25 drawings and check the Fireball results.

Quick update, after 6 drawings no straight wins and no box wins, had I played box instead of using the Fireball option. In 3 of the drawings I matched two digits in the correct digit position, but struck out matching the Fireball number. So far it's obviously no worse than by using Fireball than a box bet.

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Sep 10, 2013

Quick update, after 6 drawings no straight wins and no box wins, had I played box instead of using the Fireball option. In 3 of the drawings I matched two digits in the correct digit position, but struck out matching the Fireball number. So far it's obviously no worse than by using Fireball than a box bet.

I hate to burst you guys bubble this is what i think about the current situation with fireball it is not on fire yet .The only way the state of illinios can make fireball hot is to throw all the blue balls or blank balls into the trash where they belong and at the same time change the pay out of fireball to be based on available fund. This way the lottery bank is protected and players can win more money if less people get it right or less money is lots of people get the fireball. This way there is excitement and no zunk draw and everybody happy. So for now fireball is not hot what is hot now is texas lottery they had there first four draws per day yesterday. they had morning draw, afternoon draw , evenning draw and night draw on cash3 and cash4 that is awsome am on my way to texas now will update you all if i win. The draw for cash3 yesterday texas are in order of draw cash3  was 398 , 364 , 362 , 617  and cash4 was 3408 , 5058 , 5448 ,4940  great l guess everything is really bigger in texas.

JoeBigLotto,

Re: The Illinois Fireball, Northstar (now runs the IL lottery) is making these change to increase revenue for the lottery and Northstar. You're thinking like a player, of course, but they are thinking from their end foremost. Thus what you call the 'zunk" draws.......the whole fireball idea, truth be known, was built around the 'zunk' draw.

Every blank fireball is another $1 for Northstar, pure gravy.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by JoeBigLotto on Sep 10, 2013

I hate to burst you guys bubble this is what i think about the current situation with fireball it is not on fire yet .The only way the state of illinios can make fireball hot is to throw all the blue balls or blank balls into the trash where they belong and at the same time change the pay out of fireball to be based on available fund. This way the lottery bank is protected and players can win more money if less people get it right or less money is lots of people get the fireball. This way there is excitement and no zunk draw and everybody happy. So for now fireball is not hot what is hot now is texas lottery they had there first four draws per day yesterday. they had morning draw, afternoon draw , evenning draw and night draw on cash3 and cash4 that is awsome am on my way to texas now will update you all if i win. The draw for cash3 yesterday texas are in order of draw cash3  was 398 , 364 , 362 , 617  and cash4 was 3408 , 5058 , 5448 ,4940  great l guess everything is really bigger in texas.

The experiment I'm trying is a good example. I hit straight with a 3 out of 20 chance of matching one of the digits and missed. After 8 draws, using Fireball as the back-up instead of box is minus $40.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Coin Toss on Sep 10, 2013

JoeBigLotto,

Re: The Illinois Fireball, Northstar (now runs the IL lottery) is making these change to increase revenue for the lottery and Northstar. You're thinking like a player, of course, but they are thinking from their end foremost. Thus what you call the 'zunk" draws.......the whole fireball idea, truth be known, was built around the 'zunk' draw.

Every blank fireball is another $1 for Northstar, pure gravy.

It's difficult to figure the overall house edge on Fireball because winning is based on matching at least two of the drawn numbers. There are more winning scenarios with different odds. Match all three different digits gives a 15% chance and matching two is a 5% chance. Match three double digits gives 5% chance of winning once or twice. Matching a triple gets a 5% chance of winning three times.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by vholling on Sep 8, 2013

I don't think it fair if you play additional money for a fireball and there is not a fireball drawn I don't think this will go well with the p3 and p4. They should set a certain day for the fire balls because you just wasted another dollar and there was no fireball drawn.

My experimental ten lines matched two digits in both drawings, missed the Fireball in the midday and the evening draw was a blank. I'm not sure yet if it's a bad bet compared to boxing the straight number for the same cost as Fireball. On the one drawing I matched straight, I had a 15% chance of getting another straight payoff compared to the box payoff.

jamella724

I will give one a try, it looks appealing to me so I might as well give it a shot. I might win the jackpot prize here. These days there are more and more interesting games to play. I am having a hard time which one to choose. I have to focus more on my games.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story