Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 9:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

what kind of small business would be good to invest in if you won a jackpot (IYO)

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 3 years ago by billionaire2bee.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
sully16's avatar - sharan
Ringleader
Michigan
United States
Member #81740
October 28, 2009
41867 Posts
Posted: September 17, 2013, 11:17 am - IP Logged

Yes they do, I used to raise them, lots of rabbits.

HyperBe Happy.

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
    Member #142777
    May 18, 2013
    263 Posts
    Posted: September 17, 2013, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

I would love to have some kind of business if I won the lottery, mainly to keep me busy working and not busy spending up all my money, but I don't know what kind I'd like to invest in...I have a couple in mind but I don't have any experience in the area and I wonder if if would be a good thin to invest in....Anyways these are a couple I was thinking of

1. Chik'fil'A  I like their business model and their ethics, well other than the homo thing Im more of an equal rights person what you do and who in your own bed is none of my business

2. A self-storage business....They pretty much take care of themselves I think and all your paying someone to do is write new contracts and take monthly payments. They seem to be popping up everywhere but especially here because of the huge military base here

3. A small radio station...this one is mor of a lark mainly Id want to own one just to limit the number of commercials played per hour, cause everytime I turn on the radio it seems all the stations are on commercials

So these are a couple of mine, but in your opinion what are some good small businesses to invest in if you won the jackpot...that is if you'd want to even have a business after becoming financially secure faster than you'd ever be able to earn that much money LOL

I assume most people who would win millions in a jackpot want to quit work and obligation not pick up new ones.  Apartments, restaurants, storage buildings ect.?  Are you serious? Why?  When you run a business its a full time obligation staying competitive much less watching people around you for theft. Business is for making your first million/millions not continuing after you have millions secured from a lottery!  Just don't lose the money you don't need anymore after a huge landfall your dreaming of! 

Why not an investment in something like Exxon Mobil, Walmart, & Costco stock and bonds and move to a beach and earn 10% basically risk free?  Can you imagine our world in which investments like that go sour?  Seriously? It would probably mean every other investment or business went broke first and it all started because of a deflationary depression, an asteroid has hit the earth, or nuclear world war 3 might have started!  Im not giving investment advice but for me things like that are hard to beat with no obligation and they are well represented in Washington with the right lobbyists and lawyers.

Now lets test this theory whats the winning numbers?LOL

CheersBig Grin

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
      Member #118609
      November 4, 2011
      1048 Posts
      Posted: September 17, 2013, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

Bakery

I agree, full service bakeries, there sure isnt a lot anymore.  Mostly places like krispy kreme or bakeries in grocery stores.  A bakery that offers, cakes, cupcakes, cookies, breads, donuts! 

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
        Columbus, Ohio
        United States
        Member #128906
        June 5, 2012
        595 Posts
        Posted: September 17, 2013, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

I assume most people who would win millions in a jackpot want to quit work and obligation not pick up new ones.  Apartments, restaurants, storage buildings ect.?  Are you serious? Why?  When you run a business its a full time obligation staying competitive much less watching people around you for theft. Business is for making your first million/millions not continuing after you have millions secured from a lottery!  Just don't lose the money you don't need anymore after a huge landfall your dreaming of! 

Why not an investment in something like Exxon Mobil, Walmart, & Costco stock and bonds and move to a beach and earn 10% basically risk free?  Can you imagine our world in which investments like that go sour?  Seriously? It would probably mean every other investment or business went broke first and it all started because of a deflationary depression, an asteroid has hit the earth, or nuclear world war 3 might have started!  Im not giving investment advice but for me things like that are hard to beat with no obligation and they are well represented in Washington with the right lobbyists and lawyers.

CheersBig Grin

Because it would be boring sitting around and doing nothing, that's why most people even if they don't win the lottery start some kind of business.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
          Texas Panhandle
          United States
          Member #136843
          December 20, 2012
          1356 Posts
          Posted: September 18, 2013, 2:00 am - IP Logged

Because it would be boring sitting around and doing nothing, that's why most people even if they don't win the lottery start some kind of business.

Yep, I was reading about some guy just the other day that had hit a pretty good-sized JP;  he quit his job and got bored, started drinking and then committed suicide.   I've read about other winners who loved their jobs and didn't quit.   I agree that I wouldn't really want to take on a lot of responsibility, but my case is prob. diff. than the ones who want to start businesses.  I am like another poster in this thread, would like to have a small farm and maybe something like a bookstore, wouldn't care if I made a dime off it, wouldn't even bother me if, when it came time to go home, to find out I had forgotten to turn the "closed" sign to "open" when I got there earlier.  Oh well, one less thing to worry about, having to turn the sign around when I left! <grin>

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
           - George Orwell

Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            41867 Posts
            Posted: September 18, 2013, 7:24 am - IP Logged

I agree, full service bakeries, there sure isnt a lot anymore.  Mostly places like krispy kreme or bakeries in grocery stores.  A bakery that offers, cakes, cupcakes, cookies, breads, donuts! 

I would offer fresh soups and tasty sandwiches also.

HyperBe Happy.

United States
              Member #130815
              July 25, 2012
              1636 Posts
              Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:01 am - IP Logged

CheersBig Grin

You're going to need something to keep you busy other than investments, and if you think you wont have to watch your financial people like you do your small business employees you're super wrong...they are white collar criminals and their theft would be harder to spot than some hourly worker you're paying who's grabbing a couple dollars here and there out of the til.....Why would I start a business? I guess I am a worker bee, I love my down time but too much of it drives me crazy, I'd have to do something... and working for my self would definately be the best option

United States
                Member #130815
                July 25, 2012
                1636 Posts
                Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:02 am - IP Logged

Sully the more you talk the more I want your idea to be my number #4 LOL....I'd be as big as a house

United States
                  Member #141260
                  April 9, 2013
                  1390 Posts
                  Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:18 am - IP Logged

My farm of 10, 000 cattle, 10, 000 hogs, 25, 000 chickens and 5 rabbits would keep me more than busy.... I may even get 300 sheep and 200 goats....  and a nice alligator pond

Ringleader
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #81740
                    October 28, 2009
                    41867 Posts
                    Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:22 am - IP Logged

Sully the more you talk the more I want your idea to be my number #4 LOL....I'd be as big as a house

I love homemade soup, make it all the time.

HyperBe Happy.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                      u$a
                      United States
                      Member #106665
                      February 22, 2011
                      19964 Posts
                      Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:28 am - IP Logged

My farm of 10, 000 cattle, 10, 000 hogs, 25, 000 chickens and 5 rabbits would keep me more than busy.... I may even get 300 sheep and 200 goats....  and a nice alligator pond

Ponderdon't you worry you alligator might eat all your other pets

Let it Snow Snowman

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                        Member #142499
                        May 13, 2013
                        1203 Posts
                        Posted: September 18, 2013, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

I think I get what veganlife is saying. Running a business is very hard work. Even harder if you want it to be successful. And the point of the lottery to most people is to stop working. 

I personally think proper investing and managing the kind of money the current JP is up to is a full time job. The people who think a lottery windfall is to be spent and nothing else are the ones who end up broke. Even if you hire someone to manage it for you, it's a job to monitor that person. Financial planners and accountants who were able to pilfer millions from their clients did so because they were trusted and not monitored. Either way, holding on to your money is a job. 

But I also get that if you've always had a dream to get into a certain business, if it was even to give it a try to see if you could make an unusual business idea work, if the only thing that has kept you back is money, then why not go for it? There's a huge difference in enjoyment level in working because one has to, and not because one wants to. Maybe waking up at 5am to bake at your own bakery, is a whole lot more satisfactory than getting up at 7am to go work for someone else.

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                          Florida
                          United States
                          Member #61435
                          May 22, 2008
                          910 Posts
                          Posted: September 18, 2013, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

The most wealthy people in the world tend to work extremely hard when they are working and they also tend to play and or relax in bursts equally hard.  Seems like a healthy balance to me.  Can you imagine being on perpetual vacation?  I personally can't...I would go :more: bat<snip> crazy...lol

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                            Member #142499
                            May 13, 2013
                            1203 Posts
                            Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

Sorry, that should read: working because one wants to and not because one has to...

You have to keep in mind that there is big a difference between when you've struggled all your life building something from the ground up and finally achieving unimaginable success, to those who struggled all their lives working for someone else at a job they hate and having a windfall land in their lap. Lottery winners don't have industries and thousands of employees relying on them to keep burning the midnight oil. 

Working 12 to 18 hour days like most self made billionaires doesn't appeal to me. Nor does doing nothing with my life 24/7. I'm sure there is a happy medium where I'm not busting my balls all day every day, but nor am I consumed in decadent hedonism.

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                              Member #142777
                              May 18, 2013
                              263 Posts
                              Posted: September 18, 2013, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

You're going to need something to keep you busy other than investments, and if you think you wont have to watch your financial people like you do your small business employees you're super wrong...they are white collar criminals and their theft would be harder to spot than some hourly worker you're paying who's grabbing a couple dollars here and there out of the til.....Why would I start a business? I guess I am a worker bee, I love my down time but too much of it drives me crazy, I'd have to do something... and working for my self would definately be the best option

What financial people?  Are you talking about mutual funds where some fund trader has the right to trade you in and out of stocks and bonds for losses?  I'm confused why anyone would want to do that.  In anything never let anyone have control of your checkbook or accounts for any reason. period.  Open individual accounts and purchase the direct stocks and bonds you want and they just sit there.  I would go with large commercial firms like citi, wells fargo, jp morgan, or goldman sachs for all accounts.  Why?  Because if anyone inside the firm were to defraud a lottery winner or someone online did compromise the accounts in anyway id feel comfortable that they would make it up quick.  Can you imagine the havoc to the bottom line you could bring in a public lawsuit to a bank like this after you have won the lottery billionaire2bee if they jipped you?

Most people have never run a business and it is hard even if you know what your doing.  Also money management is key.  If you go for it just make sure you do what you know.  If you know toothpicks make toothpicks.  If your a farmer stay farming.  If your a bartender then try a bar.  If your a dough maker then maybe start a bakery.  I would say 90%+ lose their shirt going into a business they nothing about.  Can you see a hair dresser winning a lottery and then deciding to open up a big used car dealership? LOL  Good luck. 

You think a BIG lottery winner couldnt find plenty to do?  How about travel to all the worlds beaches judging bikini contests and living it up in Las Vegas?Naughty  You could live in Las Vegas 20 years alone and not see everything haha!  Now your going to win tonight right?

cheersBig Grin

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!