Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won the big one. Where would you NOT want to move to?

Topic closed. 112 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 6 of 8
PrintE-mailLink
mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
Texas Panhandle
United States
Member #136843
December 20, 2012
1280 Posts
Posted: November 8, 2013, 9:30 am - IP Logged

Yes, it dropped Maybe 25% off of a 700% GAIN in the year. Even if it drops 50% off of the 600%+ gain it will still be 300% up for the year. TRIPLE. Expanding the business doesn't come free. He is constrained by battery supplies. He will have to build his own battery plant. He has his own charging stations. He will ALWAYS be ahead of the pack. By 2015 you will be able to drive anywhere in the country. He  flies to the space station. What individual can do that? So far NONE. He will never rest. That is what stops other businesses. No stopping. Nobody is even close. The Model X coming out next year is SPECTACULAR.  More room than a full size SUV, beats the performance of most sports cars.

Better batteries, better solar power all will ccombine into an exciting future......

Down another 7% since yesterday, and it's likely to drop even more with the news that another car caught on fire.  Stock going down in flames, cars going up in them. (and I don't think your 700% number is correct, more like a little over half that)

Easy to make a profit when you're playing with house money, so to speak.  Tesla Motors is a private company with stock holders making money financed by my tax dollars.   Rich people welfare, plain and simple.  If the idea is so good, then why can't it stand on its own w/out subsidies?

Quite a bit of the earnings wasn't from sales; 12% of the profit was from zero emissions credits sales (predicted to be a whopping $250 million by year's end), a revenue stream that will most likely go down.  10.7 million was due to a pre-tax elimination of a DOE warrant liability after Tesla paid off its loan; eight million was due to changes in foreign-currency holdings. 

As I said, just wait until the major automotive makers get cranked up;  they have advantages of sheer manufacturing scale Tesla does not. GM and Nissan have already cut prices on their EVs and while Chrysler admits losing money on every electric car they sell, they can afford to do it b/c of the profits from their other models.  Musk has nowhere else to get capital to sustain operating losses...oh wait, yes he does...my wallet!

As to the space enterprises:  you failed to mention that NASA has coughed up more than $685 million to help the company develop its rockets and commercial space-flight capabilities — not to mention the hundreds of billions of dollars NASA and other public institutions have spent researching space travel over the decades, research which makes Musk's ventures into space possible.   I wouldn't rest either, not if I was one prone to pick the pocket of the American taxpayer.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
 - George Orwell

Milwaukee, WI
    United States
    Member #3131
    December 27, 2003
    665 Posts
    Posted: November 8, 2013, 9:59 am - IP Logged

I would Not like to move to Alaska  No Nod

I could make a case for alaska. It would have to be in the right house. Properly insulated, well energized.  Sitka, Alaska has Winter lows in the 30's highs in the 70's. Plenty of water, plenty of fishing, incredible views, plenty of hydro power. Not of what you think of when you think of Alaska. It is kinds of away from everything, but that is what some people like.

Milwaukee, WI
      United States
      Member #3131
      December 27, 2003
      665 Posts
      Posted: November 8, 2013, 10:12 am - IP Logged

You really fall for all the hype, don't you?

If they're doing so good, why did they need a bailout from the American Taxpayers?

Why wouldn't Finland give them a bailout?

Mitt Roment? Sorry, never heard of him. Neither has Google.

Better get your facts straight.

I'm sure you were a big fan of Solyndra too. Another fine mess your idol invested our money in just before they went belly up like so many other stupid hare-brained "investments" he made. Google that. There's a litany of ratholes he threw our money down and then gave all the bigshot campaign donors bonuses when they went bankrupt.

Time to wake up, sonny boy.

You wanna throw your money down a rathole, go ahead, but your hero is no venture capitalist and he has no business throwing our money away like that.

Fact check shows Obama has a better success than Your hero Romoney. 

What the F does Tesla have with Finland, except for SELLING to them.

AGAIN the US MADE A PROFIT from Tesla. Check YOUR facts.

Every Space Shuttle launch cost the US the US $450 million or $5.4 Billion for 12 launches. Elon Musks contrack is for 12 launches for 1.6 billion saving the US nearly  $4 billion.

How is he throwing away our money If he is GIVING US MONEY?

Paying BACK WITH INTEREST is giving US money.

Milwaukee, WI
        United States
        Member #3131
        December 27, 2003
        665 Posts
        Posted: November 8, 2013, 10:27 am - IP Logged

That's right, ttech.

Texas is very business-friendly, it's just that Musk wanted to bypass Texas franchise laws and sell directly to the consumer.  That's all well and good on the surface, but it's a law that - for the most part-  protects the buyer. 

The Texas franchise laws might seem unfair to a free market advocate, but look at how Texas does liquor sales.  For example, Ridge and I could go partners in a liquor store here in town (prob. a bad idea from the git-go).  However, Texas law forces one partner - who'd have to be the majority one - to live in the county where the store is located.  That way, if I, or any employee, sold liquor to a minor, sold after hours or broke any other of the numerous laws regulating liquor sales, someone would be easily found and prosecuted.  Not so with a chain store selling booze, one with headquarters out-of-state; it would be much harder to find someone to be responsible for the law-breaking.  It's the same principle with why Texas has turned down Tesla sales within the state.

Sure, there are special interests (car dealerships) that are against the sales of Teslas in Texas, but if I buy a Ford (or Chevy or Toyota) here in town, I know I can easily take it to the local dealer for warranty work/repairs and can sue them in a local court if they sell me a lemon.  To be fair, there are consumer laws that will apply to Tesla purchases, but tell me this:  after Tesla drops off your pretty, fast, yet overgrown and overpriced golf cart, where are you going to go for service here in Texas? As far as I know, their only service centers are in Dallas, Austin and Houston.  Fine for folks in those cities, but what is someone going to do who lives in the Panhandle or hundreds of miles away from one?

Texas isn't the only state with concerns about Musk's business model;  there is anti-Tesla legislation pending in other states, too.  Musk dropped a bunch of cash in order to make sure the bills were DOA in N. Carolina,  NY and Mass., but apparently he didn't spend enough here in Texas, huh?   I think a lot of the pushback against Musk wasn't so much from the dealer lobbyists, but rather that Musk tried to bribe the Texas Leg. with vague promises of siting his proposed spaceport here in Texas if they'd only allow him to do as he wanted.  If he wants to sell cars in Texas, he needs to abide by the franchise laws or try harder/spend more to get them changed.  (and before you or anyone else whines about that, that's SOP in other states, too, more so on the Fed. level.   Lobbyists are a fact of life in American politics;  I don't like it, but to restrict them would be a freedom of speech issue.)

Personally, it doesn't matter to me where or how he sells his rich boy toys, he can sell 'em at Wal Mart for all I care.   They can be just like the big screen TVs they carry, sell them cheap, make folks carry it out to their vehicle, get it home and set it up and after that, if the customer needs service, they can fend for themselves.  Your "jump through hoops" comment was strange, unless it took you two days to remember how to navigate back to this site after your original, inflammatory first post.  Just go to the Tesla website and do it; it's supposed to be as easy as buying something from Amazon.  They'll ship it to you and if there's something wrong, you can ship it back to them, simple as that!

All that said, I understand the majority of Texans want this particular franchise law to be overturned or amended.  That's fine by me, but don't expect me OR the majority of Texans to ever approve of state subsidies for the car. (funny 'bout that;  the "bluer" the state, the more subsidies they offer.  Texas is already doing more for the wind power scams than needs to be done)  Tesla didn't make their profits from selling cars, but by selling emissions "credits". (there's a great Forbes article: "If Tesla Would Stop Selling Cars, We'd All Save Some Money" that explains more about that and the "greenmail" other electric car companies have to pay Tesla) The leftists are always complaining about "Republican crony capitalism" but when the shoe is on the other foot, nothing but crickets chirping.  Guess it's OK when it's THEIR crony capitalists, huh?  Just like the Koch Bros. are devils, but Soros is a saint.  Gimme a break.

Lord help me, I so hate partisan hacks such as the OP.  He's a prime example of one of those low information voters we always hear about.

Dealers protecting ME?

Dealers have nothing but lie, cheat me, rob me and my family of thousands  of dollars.  And ANYTHING that he can do to kill of those worthless, lowlife cheating, POS pile of scum, I'm all in favor of.

When it is EASIER to buy a car in China than Texas, that tells the whole story. 

Tell me about the constitution when they VOILATE MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

A Tesla Repair is as close as your telephone.

Chevy, Ford repair centers are a PROFIT Center.  Telsa repair centers are designed as NON PROFIT.  If they make a mistake and the car has to get repaired, WHY SHOULD they make a profit? That is Tesla's view.

Electric cars need nearly ZERO repairs. Jay Leno's ancient Baker electric car has needed 0 repairs in 20 years.

When I got ripped off by a dealer, there was NO RECOURSE. They are so protected by big money.

Milwaukee, WI
          United States
          Member #3131
          December 27, 2003
          665 Posts
          Posted: November 8, 2013, 10:48 am - IP Logged

I couldn't find Rectum on a map.

But I'm sure Wisconsin has one.

Most likely in Milwaukee.

Our Rectum has a name and it is named Scott Walker...... He ruins our GREAT state.

If I won big I wouldn't open a Business in Wisconsin, unless Mary Burke gets elected. 

I used to hate Minnesota, but now it looks better than Wisconsin.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
            Indiana
            United States
            Member #129225
            June 13, 2012
            546 Posts
            Posted: November 8, 2013, 11:44 am - IP Logged

BREAKING NEWS:  Tesla Motors stock tumbled 14.51% yesterday!  It started the nosedive after the company announced it had lost $38 million in the third quarter. It fell so fast, it was enough to trigger the NASDAQ "circuit breaker" that slows short-selling.  It might just be a hiccup but we'll see, won't we?   Renewed investor confidence might very well "spark" a spate of buying, but then again, there might be a "short circuit" leading to more losses. 

Me?  I think when the major auto manufacturers all get in the EV game, Tesla will be a footnote in automotive history, like the Corvair, Edsel and Tucker.

Tesla is full of "spark" so much so that their third car "sparked" into flames again yesterday.  Better buy a fire extingusher if you want a Tesla car!!! 

I agree with all your comments regarding Tesla.  And whats not to love about the great state of Texas??

Milwaukee, WI
              United States
              Member #3131
              December 27, 2003
              665 Posts
              Posted: November 8, 2013, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

Tesla is full of "spark" so much so that their third car "sparked" into flames again yesterday.  Better buy a fire extingusher if you want a Tesla car!!! 

I agree with all your comments regarding Tesla.  And whats not to love about the great state of Texas??

And when they walk out of the car the want a new one.

The 2nd crash in Mexico, the car went through a concrete wall, into a tree, and the driver walked away.

There is a huge differnce between a car starting in fire from a short, and 15 gallons of gas exploding.

Same kind of accident in 1994 killed 6 kids in Milwaukee.  When you have a superior car structure, you open the door and walk away.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: November 8, 2013, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

Well who were you talking to? Cause it looked like an open ended question to me, and so what if you werent talking to me Im talking to you and for who mentioned politics, you also did when you referenced the president...So again why are we talking about politics on a lottery site...

"Well who were you talking to?"

None of your business.

"Cause it looked like an open ended question to me..."

I bet that goofy sense of perception of yours has been a problem all of your life.

"...and so what if you werent talking to me Im talking to you..."

Don't get all offended if I ignore you, everybody does.

"...and for who mentioned politics, you also did..."

"Also" is the operative word. You and numbnuts started the yappin' about politics, not me.

"So again why are we talking about politics on a lottery site..."

Because you wanted to, obviously. Why else would you bring it up?

If you don't want to talk about it, don't. Just drop it.

But don't tell me I can't respond to your loony political rants.

Now beat it.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: November 8, 2013, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

I would Not like to move to Alaska  No Nod

I could make a case for alaska. It would have to be in the right house. Properly insulated, well energized.  Sitka, Alaska has Winter lows in the 30's highs in the 70's. Plenty of water, plenty of fishing, incredible views, plenty of hydro power. Not of what you think of when you think of Alaska. It is kinds of away from everything, but that is what some people like.

You just wanna be close to Sarah.

I don't blame ya, dude! Thumbs Up

Milwaukee, WI
                    United States
                    Member #3131
                    December 27, 2003
                    665 Posts
                    Posted: November 8, 2013, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

You just wanna be close to Sarah.

I don't blame ya, dude! Thumbs Up

They have wackobirds in every state.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: November 8, 2013, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Fact check shows Obama has a better success than Your hero Romoney. 

What the F does Tesla have with Finland, except for SELLING to them.

AGAIN the US MADE A PROFIT from Tesla. Check YOUR facts.

Every Space Shuttle launch cost the US the US $450 million or $5.4 Billion for 12 launches. Elon Musks contrack is for 12 launches for 1.6 billion saving the US nearly  $4 billion.

How is he throwing away our money If he is GIVING US MONEY?

Paying BACK WITH INTEREST is giving US money.

Romoney? Never heard of him. Neither has Google.

Yeah, I'm sure your moveon websites give you plenty of "facts" and I'm sure you believe 'em all.

That's your problem.

The real truth is out there but you have to dig through all the lies of your messiah and his media cheerleaders to get to it and you don't want the truth anyway.

Now listen up, Americans like internal combustion engines and that ain't gonna change. Electric cars ain't goin' nowhere in this country so get over it.

And I don't wanna chip in anymore of my money to prop up another one of Obozo's campaign donors. If Ellis Mook is so successful why does he need bailouts all the time?

Why don't you just put on your helmet and goggles and sandals and hop on your Segway and ride off to some tree-hugging fest in Madison with the rest of the geeks and leave decent folks alone?

Pay for your own hare-brained schemes without involving people who want no part of it.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: November 8, 2013, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

They have wackobirds in every state.

Good, then you'll have no trouble getting in.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                          u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19856 Posts
                          Posted: November 8, 2013, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Good, then you'll have no trouble getting in.

Green laugh

Let it Snow Snowman

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                            United States
                            Member #112968
                            June 29, 2011
                            3856 Posts
                            Posted: November 8, 2013, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Oh, I guess I'll get around to answering the title question.

Keeping it to US states... Florida, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon, Washington, New Jersey and Nevada. I think I could find a decent area of any other state. Oh, and Hawaii.

I've thought about Utah, but that SLC air scares me. I'd have to live outside the city.

Well from your pic I'm, guessing  it's winter,

but I remember one summer back in the 80s there was a fog (smog ?) over the valley that lasted all summer,

so bad you could'nt see the city from the mountains.

That's going way back, Saltair, a place next to the lake, was not under water at that time.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
                              Member #134627
                              November 2, 2012
                              1001 Posts
                              Posted: November 8, 2013, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

Russia. No sirry. To be hounted down for your money?