UK Lotto player wins $12.7 million but sticks with job helping elderly

Nov 12, 2013, 8:25 am (51 comments)

UK National Lottery

'The old folks need me'

Winning £8 million (US$12.7 million) on the Lotto would send most people into a frenzy of excitement but for grandad Ron Elliot it was all in a day's work.

The kind-hearted widower, 67, told how he won the rollover jackpot on Saturday night then calmly went to work the next day at the care home where he looks after dozens of vulnerable elderly residents.

Ron also revealed he would continue in his £15,000-a-year role.

He said, "I shall not be retiring any time soon — the old folks need me."

Ron was watching on TV at his maisonette when he saw his numbers come up.

But there was no way the care home assistant was going to let down the people who depend on him. He said, "I went to work as normal on Sunday.

"The residents are 90 years old and many have dementia. I give them breakfast, do the laundry and housework."

Ron, whose wife died in a car accident 41 years ago, lives in Sutton, South London.

He bought his winning Lucky Dip ticket at a newsagent's at 6am on Saturday as he walked to the care home in nearby Wallington to start his shift.

The numbers, which scooped £7,959,312, were 10, 28, 32, 36, 37, and 49.

After admitting "I don't think it has sunk in yet", Ron said he plans to buy a new house in the area, pay off his son's mortgage, and provide a big Christmas treat for the care home residents.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Thanks to myturn for the tip.

Mirror

Comments

Erzulieredeyes's avatarErzulieredeyes

This is the kind of guy I like to see and that deserves to win a BIG jackpot lottery.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by Erzulieredeyes on Nov 12, 2013

This is the kind of guy I like to see and that deserves to win a BIG jackpot lottery.

Yep. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. He keeps his head about him and its a great story.
Congrats.
Party

Greg2117's avatarGreg2117

Amazing guy. He definitely desereved it.

sully16's avatarsully16

God Bless him and congrats. real nice story.

billionaire2bee

Quote: Originally posted by Erzulieredeyes on Nov 12, 2013

I dont know I mean Im glad he won and everything but I'd rather see someone who can actually use the money win...this guy would've been just as happy with his life if he didnt win

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by billionaire2bee on Nov 12, 2013

I dont know I mean Im glad he won and everything but I'd rather see someone who can actually use the money win...this guy would've been just as happy with his life if he didnt win

he could pay the salaries of a couple of people at least to take his place and do the dirty work. he could come in and entertain them to a degree if he so desired. but... to continue in his current duties... i don't know why or if that much is necessary.

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

very nice story. :)

Kee12's avatarKee12

Nice story. He must have a very big heart to accomodate others. God bless him more.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by billionaire2bee on Nov 12, 2013

B2B- He plays the game to win just like everyone else,  thing is in his case he sees what his priorities are,  and to him its helping others at present.  It could very well be that in a few years from now, he could say- l did what l could, l will pass the mantle to others.
I would rather read a story like this than some lunkhead blowing through his fortune in a few years on drugs & alcohol and saying " at least l had a great time".
I salute this guy.

ShowMeTheMoney$'s avatarShowMeTheMoney$

His wife died 41 years ago.  I wonder why he never remarried.  Maybe, she was the love of his life, or he never found anyone else.  He seems so kind hearted that he should have love again.  Love

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

That's all nice and sweet, that he did not quit his job. Keep in mind that on some level, they are all feeding off emotionally, off each other, considering his circumstance before he won. Those old folks are probably like family to him. Congrats.

Astekblue's avatarAstekblue

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Nov 12, 2013

B2B- He plays the game to win just like everyone else,  thing is in his case he sees what his priorities are,  and to him its helping others at present.  It could very well be that in a few years from now, he could say- l did what l could, l will pass the mantle to others.
I would rather read a story like this than some lunkhead blowing through his fortune in a few years on drugs & alcohol and saying " at least l had a great time".
I salute this guy.

Amen   To    That     !!!!!!

This    Ron   Elliot   has   got   "  Style  "    (  and   a   Heart )    and   he  aint    self  centered

Kinda   restores  a   person's   faith  in   human   nature   dont   it

What   A    Great    Story

Really   refreshing  to  see  a   person    like    that

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Good man, God Bless him.

TNPATL

Wow now this is a nice story.  I mean he could retire right now, but instead he's going to keep being there for his residents.

They will truly appreciate it and he will be blessed many times over.

LottoBoner

I hate to be the only one to point out an obvious fact.  But he is helping the elderly becauseHE IS elderly. (Well almost anyway)

And besides, he should just quit, and perhaps just become a professional volunteer.

Its all good.  Good Luck to the winner!  Go easy on that champagne.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

I salute this guy.

A perfect response Noise-gate. When one wins that much money, one cannot spend 24/7 and be happy.  One has to feed the brain and the soul. Amen to him for being down to earth and remembering those in need and not feeling above it all in getting his own hands dirty.

noise-gate

" His helping the Elderly because his elderly?" - that statement does not hold water LB.
Ever visit a hospital or care home recently- the care staff is almost all under 40 years of age in the places l have seen * California.When was the last time you had a 60 something nurse look at your chart?
Almost all of the care staff are Phillipino as well. Elderly staff is almost always in Management unless things are different in your neck of the woods.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

There are many qualified people who would wish find work in 2013 and can't find any and since Ron Elliot doesn't really need the job I think he should let someone else have it and maybe if he likes his job so much then he can volunteer.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Nov 12, 2013

There are many qualified people who would wish find work in 2013 and can't find any and since Ron Elliot doesn't really need the job I think he should let someone else have it and maybe if he likes his job so much then he can volunteer.

His only getting 15 grand a year bud, its not like his pulling down K100 .Plus the residents may not want some new blood waiting on them. You know how the Elderly can climb on walls & furniture when they dont get their way.  Perhaps Ron knows how to handle them. You don't fix what is not broke.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

I agree, maringoman.  In this 13-year huge depression/recession, there is still someone capable who would be greatly helped by taking over this $15K/annual part-time job.

It would be great if this jackpot winner gave a couple of weeks notice, helped interview the new part-time job applicants, still gave all the residents a big December party, and maybe even donated monies so that instead of one part-time employee being hired TWO part-time employees (paid 20 hours per week, each) could be hired.

What?

Regardless, congratulations to this lottery jackpot winner!!! Disney

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Nov 12, 2013

I agree, maringoman.  In this 13-year huge depression/recession, there is still someone capable who would be greatly helped by taking over this $15K/annual part-time job.

It would be great if this jackpot winner gave a couple of weeks notice, helped interview the new part-time job applicants, still gave all the residents a big December party, and maybe even donated monies so that instead of one part-time employee being hired TWO part-time employees (paid 20 hours per week, each) could be hired.

What?

Look- this is a known fact, some people just love to work, its not about the money. You tell them to quit just because they won the lottery,  its been known that such action has  hastened people to their graves. If his loved by his community of Elderly persons, l think it's up to him say when his ready to go. Its not like his job is paying a great deal.
There are some millionaire jackpot winners in this country who have continued to work despite winning millions, does one push them out the door?
Once again,  its not about the money,  they just figure that they would be bored if they retired. People react differently to retirement. It's not like his still collecting foodstamps after his windfall.

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Nov 12, 2013

What?

HaveABall    I think he afraid of the loneliness that many seniors nearing retirement experience. There are people who have no life outside their careers, a shame. Whatever the reason, there are plenty of people out there who are pushed to desperation by the tough economic times through no fault of their own. Ron Elliot should consider them now that he has been rewarded so well.

His only getting 15 grand a year bud, its not like his pulling down K100 .Plus the residents may not want some new blood waiting on them. You know how the Elderly can climb on walls & furniture when they dont get their way.  Perhaps Ron knows how to handle them. You don't fix what is not broke.

£15,000 is almost $24,000. I am sure there are plenty of people here in the US and over there in UK who would happily take a job that pays that. It's not much but it is something. I am happy for Mr Elliot but I disagree with his decision about staying on the job. 

noise-gate

£15,000 is almost $24,000. I am sure there are plenty of people here in the US and over there in UK who would happily take a job that pays that. It's not much but it is something. I am happy for Mr Elliot but I disagree with his decision about staying on the job. 

Get this Maringoman:In order to help out people in the recession - The farmers in the valley out here  offered people $12.00 an hour to pick strawberries & not a single Caucasian or Black lasted past noontime- all complained about " their backs"..l would submit to you that there are " some people" who are not prepared to do hard work..Walmart offers part time jobs yet you see  people standing in their parking lots with signs asking for money. What's going on?- looking for the easy way out.

You are assuming his position would be filled. They may just split up his duties among existing staff. I will never understand people who think people should step aside in any job if they win the lottery.  They worked to get that job and they are just as entitled to keep it if they wish to do so. This guy probably has a great relationship with these people that is irreplaceable. Ministering to the sick and elderly is not not something one just walks away from if they have a calling to do it. Would you have expected Mother Teresa to have said, if she won the lottery, "see you later street urchins, I am going to Disneyland!!!"?

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Nov 12, 2013

You are assuming his position would be filled. They may just split up his duties among existing staff. I will never understand people who think people should step aside in any job if they win the lottery.  They worked to get that job and they are just as entitled to keep it if they wish to do so. This guy probably has a great relationship with these people that is irreplaceable. Ministering to the sick and elderly is not not something one just walks away from if they have a calling to do it. Would you have expected Mother Teresa to have said, if she won the lottery, "see you later street urchins, I am going to Disneyland!!!"?

First of all if the company that employed Ron was effieciently ran then they would have to hire someone to take over Ron's place when he left. Effieciency here means every employee has enough work to keep them busy and cannot possible take on more work. Also Ron Elliot is not the only person who can do his job. What one man can do another can do, no? New RNs & LPNs are hired all the time and the patients understand that that is part of life.

First of all if the company that employed Ron was effieciently ran then they would have to hire someone to take over Ron's place when he left. Effieciency here means every employee has enough work to keep them busy and cannot possible take on more work. Also Ron Elliot is not the only person who can do his job. What one man can do another can do, no? New RNs & LPNs are hired all the time and the patients understand that that is part of life.

MM, a "calling" is something different and more than a job.

MM, a "calling" is something different and more than a job.

That is true from the perspective of the individual. But from the general perspective Ron Elliot is just a worker. A good worker but still a worker. He trades his energy and enthusiasm for £15,000 a year. If he were to give up that salary and volunteer even if for part-time hours then it would show beyond doubt that he has a calling.

noise-gate

That is true from the perspective of the individual. But from the general perspective Ron Elliot is just a worker. A good worker but still a worker. He trades his energy and enthusiasm for £15,000 a year. If he were to give up that salary and volunteer even if for part-time hours then it would show beyond doubt that he has a calling.

I think Ron Elliott is " More than just a worker"- he sees those in his care as a major responsibility. If those Elderly were interviewed and asked " how would you feel about Ron quitting his position here", dementia or not, the elderly may declare open war for all we know.  He could be the piece in the puzzle,  the rubberband that is not supposed to break.
We read a report and come up with all kinds of scenarios as to why he should hightail it out of there, but all of us know that he is not sticking around for the money- heck his even going to throw a party for those folk with his winnings and not as a " going away present"- like l said, Ron is for real.
Just as an illustration: When Jesus raised Lazarus from the grave-and word got to the religious Leaders of that event, they sought to kill both Jesus and Lazarus.
Let's not attempt to undermine Ron's good deed.

I think Ron Elliott is " More than just a worker"- he sees those in his care as a major responsibility. If those Elderly were interviewed and asked " how would you feel about Ron quitting his position here", dementia or not, the elderly may declare open war for all we know.  He could be the piece in the puzzle,  the rubberband that is not supposed to break.
We read a report and come up with all kinds of scenarios as to why he should hightail it out of there, but all of us know that he is not sticking around for the money- heck his even going to throw a party for those folk with his winnings and not as a " going away present"- like l said, Ron is for real.
Just as an illustration: When Jesus raised Lazarus from the grave-and word got to the religious Leaders of that event, they sought to kill both Jesus and Lazarus.
Let's not attempt to undermine Ron's good deed.

What Ron Elliot does is what countless of RNs and LPNs do on a daily basis. They give TLC to their patients. But are replacable and so is Ron Elliot. Most people have had to cope with being left and I am sure the seniors that Ron is in charge of have had lots of opportunities in their lives to experience that. 

You see my point is this. Ron is a smart man. He is aware that times are tough. He could let his company hire a replacement and volunteer to work for free. That is all.

Nikkicute's avatarNikkicute

Look- this is a known fact, some people just love to work, its not about the money. You tell them to quit just because they won the lottery,  its been known that such action has  hastened people to their graves. If his loved by his community of Elderly persons, l think it's up to him say when his ready to go. Its not like his job is paying a great deal.
There are some millionaire jackpot winners in this country who have continued to work despite winning millions, does one push them out the door?
Once again,  its not about the money,  they just figure that they would be bored if they retired. People react differently to retirement. It's not like his still collecting foodstamps after his windfall.

Nice post noise-gate Thumbs Up

There are just some selfish people on this thread!!

67 year old calling the others "old folks" lol, that's cool!!

He certainly doesn't look 67, looks fit, keeps busy doing what he enjoys.

Some get up to their job and others get up to do what they like and literally wouldn't give it up

for all the money in the world, more power to him!

What Ron Elliot does is what countless of RNs and LPNs do on a daily basis. They give TLC to their patients. But are replacable and so is Ron Elliot. Most people have had to cope with being left and I am sure the seniors that Ron is in charge of have had lots of opportunities in their lives to experience that. 

You see my point is this. Ron is a smart man. He is aware that times are tough. He could let his company hire a replacement and volunteer to work for free. That is all.

We still like you Maringo....but remind me not to let you visit me in the nursing home when I am 90. ;)

megan81's avatarmegan81

I love it!!!

jusfue

can anybody help me out with the lottery

Jusfue it is your LUCKY night!  I am Miss Cleo the artist and for a one time fee of $ 49.95, I will give you the winning numbers.  In exchange, you must also give me your first born as well. You can find me in the forest dancing at midnight.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulation Mr. Elliot such a class act Thumbs Up

Slick Nick's avatarSlick Nick

There's nothing better than giving back, sharing in a nice way!Party

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Congrats Mr. Spend wisely

ShowMeTheMoney$'s avatarShowMeTheMoney$

Why are there so many lottery winners that seem to be older?  Maybe it's just my imagination, but he's well into his 60s, and the same goes for the recent Fresno, California Powerball winner of 213 million.  And, the huge record-breaking, Powerball jackpot (590 million) won by 84 year-old Gloria Mackenzie from Florida.

My theory is older people play more and see the lottery has a hobby.  Maybe more senior citizens play than younger people.  They might play frequently and drop more money down.  Yes Nod

billionaire2bee

I salute this guy.

LOL well i didnt begrudge him or anything I just said it would have been nicer if someone who actually needed the money won, he obviously didnt need the money, and I'll bet his life would have been just fine even if he didnt won....doesnt matter why he played, we all play in hopes of winning....Like I said his life was just fine to him whether he won or not

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by ShowMeTheMoney$ on Nov 13, 2013

Why are there so many lottery winners that seem to be older?  Maybe it's just my imagination, but he's well into his 60s, and the same goes for the recent Fresno, California Powerball winner of 213 million.  And, the huge record-breaking, Powerball jackpot (590 million) won by 84 year-old Gloria Mackenzie from Florida.

My theory is older people play more and see the lottery has a hobby.  Maybe more senior citizens play than younger people.  They might play frequently and drop more money down.  Yes Nod

I Agree! Whatever they doing it's working Green laugh

Wow, interesting brain.  Odd example, as Mother Teresa never accepted monies for herself, she lived in poverty once entering her 40s during her daily 7-days-a-week "missionary" lifestyle years until death.  However, this male big lottery jackpot winner works for PAY.  He could probably talk to the nursing home's management to switch to some sort of daily or weekend non-paying volunteer work ... if WORKING and BEING with these nursing home residents was currently his goal/need.  Geez.

Well, new ideas regarding this topic of methodology are probably exhausted.Thud

We still like you Maringo....but remind me not to let you visit me in the nursing home when I am 90. ;)

Hum, so he may visit you in a nursing home if he is on payroll, but not if he is an off-payroll volunteer.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Taking care of the elders is a great thing to do.Thanks GOD that we have the social security system in the USA. Lets win a lottery jackpot now.LOL

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Nov 13, 2013

Wow, interesting brain.  Odd example, as Mother Teresa never accepted monies for herself, she lived in poverty once entering her 40s during her daily 7-days-a-week "missionary" lifestyle years until death.  However, this male big lottery jackpot winner works for PAY.  He could probably talk to the nursing home's management to switch to some sort of daily or weekend non-paying volunteer work ... if WORKING and BEING with these nursing home residents was currently his goal/need.  Geez.

Well, new ideas regarding this topic of methodology are probably exhausted.Thud

Wow, you have a limited brain. I think some of us were analyzing the siuation on a more esoteric level...it is not a simple work for pay issue. And Mother Teresa was one of the biggest wheeler and dealers around in getting money for her organization.  Geezzz  And yes the topic is exhausted.

LOL I'll bring flowers

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

Loneliness can be a terrible thing, regardless of how much money you may have. It's all in your head.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Nov 17, 2013

Loneliness can be a terrible thing, regardless of how much money you may have. It's all in your head.

Playing the lottery is a very social thing to do.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Nov 13, 2013

Wow, you have a limited brain. I think some of us were analyzing the siuation on a more esoteric level...it is not a simple work for pay issue. And Mother Teresa was one of the biggest wheeler and dealers around in getting money for her organization.  Geezzz  And yes the topic is exhausted.

Did Mother Teresa support the lottery?

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by LottoBoner on Nov 12, 2013

I hate to be the only one to point out an obvious fact.  But he is helping the elderly becauseHE IS elderly. (Well almost anyway)

And besides, he should just quit, and perhaps just become a professional volunteer.

Its all good.  Good Luck to the winner!  Go easy on that champagne.

Is he a greedy lottery winner? LOL

jamella724

Indeed he is a good man, he definitely deserve this blessing. Some people once they have huge amount of money they just think about themselves. It is nice to know that there are other people who think of others first before themselves. I hope he will receive more blessings.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story