Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: Does it make sense to play

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 3 years ago by gnozahs.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Does it makes sense to play a game that likely will only get hit when all combos are played?

Makes sense to me [ 16 ]  [50.00%]
No, not to me [ 5 ]  [15.62%]
They're going after uninformed players [ 3 ]  [9.38%]
Sell the sizzle, not the steak MUSL [ 1 ]  [3.12%]
What Neal Armstrong's neighbor's wife said [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Well, there is the $1 prize for the Mega Ball [ 2 ]  [6.25%]
An LP'er said they will play all combos [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Waiting for the right fortune cookie [ 2 ]  [6.25%]
I can't wait for the 99 number grid [ 1 ]  [3.12%]
Other [ 2 ]  [6.25%]
Total Valid Votes [ 32 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19826 Posts
Posted: December 15, 2013, 1:03 am - IP Logged

You know how you get mad at yourself if you forget to stop and get a ticket at the store for that night's drawing of your favorite game?

Well I think Mega Millions could change that.

The odds are so astronomically ridiculous that you don't really regret missing a game that much cuz you feel like nobody's ever gonna win anyway, so you probably just saved yourself a few bucks.

I only play two lines but I've always made sure I'm in for every draw.

But now with these crazy odds? If it's cold out I might just skip it.

The lottery terminals did it for me, when I went to play my numbers last night an hour before cut off time I was told all the lottery terminals in town were down and had been that way for several hours.  I had time to check a few more places and it was true.  As it turned out I saved a couple of bucks.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
    Texas
    United States
    Member #86154
    January 30, 2010
    1648 Posts
    Posted: December 15, 2013, 2:09 am - IP Logged

Well, as always, I'm gonna be the 'stand alone' person here once again. It makes absolutely no sense to play a game that contains odds worse than you leaving your house/home/apartment and having a piece of 'space debris' fall out of the sky and kill you. Yeah, the odds are just that bad. Now, I know that I've previously posted on how it's bad to not play or skip draws if you have a sentimental set of numbers which you never change...ever, and I'm sticking to that only if that applies. For the QP players, though, you're not missing out on a thing because you don't know what numbers you'll ever get. Can't miss what you never had in this case.

Still, in the end, it's laughable at how they even play on people's emotions with a 'chance' to win such a sum of money with only $2 per play...it's a joke. Guess what? Not all of the total combinations will EVER BE PLAYED because all it takes is (1) number to change any complete combination. Multiply that by the total number and it goes on and on and on. Out of all the combinations that are sold, even when approaching record sales, there are still MILLIONS left due to this very reason.

If you really want better odds, take a COLLECTIVE stand against what they are doing and simply don't play. This is the only thing that will get they're attention, folks...a serious drop in sales. There's power in numbers and you can believe it...you, THE PLAYER, have the power to bring change. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with having more lower tier winners to make it worth the players' while. But, we cannot have JP winners every single draw...maybe a $1M winner, though. Then, people get very excited and actually play more...spending more money on that chance. As it stands, the player has a better chance of being hit by a stray bullet inside Wal-Mart by the meat section than even winning back $3. PATHETIC.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
      Member #4121
      March 23, 2004
      817 Posts
      Posted: December 15, 2013, 9:50 am - IP Logged

Yep, makes sense to play when your numbers hit!!!  I don't mind sharing. :)

Party

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19817 Posts
        Posted: December 15, 2013, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

Are you saying the old matrix made enough sense to play?

LOL

Let it Snow Snowman

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3300 Posts
          Posted: December 15, 2013, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

they could do a game with billions of odds, make it $1 buys you 50 chances, i mean $0.02c a  line. and i would still stick in buck.  that  slim chance is all i need.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4108 Posts
            Posted: December 15, 2013, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

Makes perfect sense to me..
            My wife wanted to stay home last night  and just rent a movie with kettle corn popcorn to boot, so we drove to Redbox and picked out some movies, she picked " The Croods" and if you watched the movie- in the end the Dad had to make a decision whether to toss his family into the " unknown" or stay where they were and perish. He took a chance. The lottery jackpot no matter how huge is worth the "chance" especially since a Dollar can chance everything, and sometimes $1.00 is all you need.
            Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Endless Mountains Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #149903
              December 11, 2013
              202 Posts
              Posted: December 15, 2013, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

I play for second prize so makes sense to me. 1mil plus would do me very well right now. 5 grand would do me well right now I'm not fooling anyone, for me I'm hurting and as sad as it is winning anything is gonna be my only chance of getting out of this debt thats been surrounding me forever.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                United States
                Member #112968
                June 29, 2011
                3855 Posts
                Posted: December 15, 2013, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

Uniformed players, no doubt.

Or maybe occasional that don't care.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3855 Posts
                  Posted: December 15, 2013, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

You know how you get mad at yourself if you forget to stop and get a ticket at the store for that night's drawing of your favorite game?

The odds are so astronomically ridiculous that you don't really regret missing a game that much cuz you feel like nobody's ever gonna win anyway, so you probably just saved yourself a few bucks.

Yea, I'm still playing even though I thought I would quit, hav'nt missed a beat due to my ticket buying routine.

Also feel like I have a stake since the Jp started before the matrix change, after this huge JP is won I will probably reconsider it again.

But just the same I've only had 1 ticket w/mp for ea. draw so who knows ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                    Member #112968
                    June 29, 2011
                    3855 Posts
                    Posted: December 15, 2013, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

Uniformed players, no doubt.

Or maybe occasional that don't care.

Sorry * Uninformed.

LOL Never seen uniformed lottery players.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                      Los Angeles, California
                      United States
                      Member #149492
                      December 2, 2013
                      919 Posts
                      Posted: December 15, 2013, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, the odds are horrid.  I play a $1 only.  I don't expect to win.  Heck, I don't even expect to get the mega.  But, I would take my infinitesimally small chance of winning vs. no chance any day.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7310 Posts
                        Posted: December 15, 2013, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

Well, as always, I'm gonna be the 'stand alone' person here once again. It makes absolutely no sense to play a game that contains odds worse than you leaving your house/home/apartment and having a piece of 'space debris' fall out of the sky and kill you. Yeah, the odds are just that bad. Now, I know that I've previously posted on how it's bad to not play or skip draws if you have a sentimental set of numbers which you never change...ever, and I'm sticking to that only if that applies. For the QP players, though, you're not missing out on a thing because you don't know what numbers you'll ever get. Can't miss what you never had in this case.

Still, in the end, it's laughable at how they even play on people's emotions with a 'chance' to win such a sum of money with only $2 per play...it's a joke. Guess what? Not all of the total combinations will EVER BE PLAYED because all it takes is (1) number to change any complete combination. Multiply that by the total number and it goes on and on and on. Out of all the combinations that are sold, even when approaching record sales, there are still MILLIONS left due to this very reason.

If you really want better odds, take a COLLECTIVE stand against what they are doing and simply don't play. This is the only thing that will get they're attention, folks...a serious drop in sales. There's power in numbers and you can believe it...you, THE PLAYER, have the power to bring change. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with having more lower tier winners to make it worth the players' while. But, we cannot have JP winners every single draw...maybe a $1M winner, though. Then, people get very excited and actually play more...spending more money on that chance. As it stands, the player has a better chance of being hit by a stray bullet inside Wal-Mart by the meat section than even winning back $3. PATHETIC.

L.L.

The only odds that matter are the odds of having a jackpot winning ticket on Tuesday and that depends on the sales. Friday's sales total ($175 million) was the fifth largest in MM history and it's possible because of the matrix change less than 50% of the combinations were sold. If Tuesday's sales get close to the record ($651 million), there should be enough combos sold to produce at least one winner.

The sales were less than the 3/30/2012 jackpot run on the $100 million plus jackpots and maybe Tuesday won't have the expected "must win" ticket buying frenzy like in 2012 and the jackpot will roll again. $300 million in sales should produce one jackpot winner, but if there is only one winner, the odds of one out of 300 million are worse than one out of 258 million so I agree with what you're saying.

United States
                          Member #128790
                          June 2, 2012
                          5431 Posts
                          Posted: December 15, 2013, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

LOL

ROFLGreen laughAs if the old matrix gave someone a resonable chance. This new one really sucks.

Green laugh

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #92330
                            June 5, 2010
                            887 Posts
                            Posted: December 15, 2013, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

Since it's a game we're told we likely won't win to begin with, why not play when there's likely not going to be a winner until all combos are played? Either way aren't you being told you likely won't win?

Most would say playing either before or after the matrix change doesn't make sense.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                              NY
                              United States
                              Member #121961
                              January 21, 2012
                              3157 Posts
                              Posted: December 15, 2013, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

That's a smart move. Just think of all the Cheerwine you could buy if you win.