Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 10:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you sign your tickets?

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 3 years ago by BigDMike.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
Indiana
United States
Member #150273
December 18, 2013
495 Posts
Posted: December 29, 2013, 10:12 am - IP Logged
If the JP is at a record high i do, but i admit when it's not... i get lazy Sad Wavey
We read soo many articles about lost or stolen tickets and it's always a reminder that stuff does happen. For many of us our tickets will never end up lost or stolen, but it could happen and there are enough stories to prove it does. While the best protection against most of these types of situations is right there on the back of our tickets, why is such a simple, yet important thing soo over looked by players? We take the time to research and carefully pick our numbers, go to the retailer to get our ticket, and then pay money to buy those tickets and then track the drawings....but we don't take five minutes to protect ourselves by signing our tickets? 
Soo many scenarios can easily happen to anyone when you think about it, but if players don't sign their tickets, anyone who attempts to steal it or finds it can and will do what the original owner did not...sign it! >>and take the winnings.
Do you sign your tickets and what are your thoughts on the matter. I know i am gonna make it a goal of mine to start getting in the habit of doing it all the time.
    helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19964 Posts
    Posted: December 29, 2013, 10:34 am - IP Logged
    If the JP is at a record high i do, but i admit when it's not... i get lazy Sad Wavey
    We read soo many articles about lost or stolen tickets and it's always a reminder that stuff does happen. For many of us our tickets will never end up lost or stolen, but it could happen and there are enough stories to prove it does. While the best protection against most of these types of situations is right there on the back of our tickets, why is such a simple, yet important thing soo over looked by players? We take the time to research and carefully pick our numbers, go to the retailer to get our ticket, and then pay money to buy those tickets and then track the drawings....but we don't take five minutes to protect ourselves by signing our tickets? 
    Soo many scenarios can easily happen to anyone when you think about it, but if players don't sign their tickets, anyone who attempts to steal it or finds it can and will do what the original owner did not...sign it! >>and take the winnings.
    Do you sign your tickets and what are your thoughts on the matter. I know i am gonna make it a goal of mine to start getting in the habit of doing it all the time.

I Agree! i try to sign them before cashing them @the store sometimes mailing them in is easier for me Smiley

u$a
      United States
      Member #106665
      February 22, 2011
      19964 Posts
      Posted: December 29, 2013, 10:36 am - IP Logged

by the way Welcome Candlelight777 See Ya!

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        42027 Posts
        Posted: December 29, 2013, 10:37 am - IP Logged

I sign for Jackpot games, I also take all 4 corners and pinch them between my thumb and finger, don't mind having my fingerprints all over a ticket...

I have heard many stories and fradulent claims, causing many headaches for the real winners, I always pay attention to where I buy them and around what time.

Welcome to Lottery Post Candlelight777, hope you win big.

HyperBe Happy.

u$a
          United States
          Member #106665
          February 22, 2011
          19964 Posts
          Posted: December 29, 2013, 10:40 am - IP Logged

I sign for Jackpot games, I also take all 4 corners and pinch them between my thumb and finger, don't mind having my fingerprints all over a ticket...

I have heard many stories and fradulent claims, causing many headaches for the real winners, I always pay attention to where I buy them and around what time.

Welcome to Lottery Post Candlelight777, hope you win big.

Good idea!!

I forgot also i copy them sometimes when i Win.

Indiana
            United States
            Member #150273
            December 18, 2013
            495 Posts
            Posted: December 29, 2013, 10:47 am - IP Logged
            Thank you very much for welcoming me!!

For me the goal is to sign my tickets after purchase. Soo many things can happen to your ticket from the time of purchase to the drawing...and your ticket just might end up being the lucky ticket. Once you sign that ticket you are, in the eyes of the lottery, the rightful owner and no one else can take claim to that ticket. Had a lottery official once explain this to me and how soo many don't realize this until it happens to them
              New York,
              Panama
              Member #73078
              April 4, 2009
              3490 Posts
              Posted: December 29, 2013, 3:31 pm - IP Logged
              Thank you very much for welcoming me!!

For me the goal is to sign my tickets after purchase. Soo many things can happen to your ticket from the time of purchase to the drawing...and your ticket just might end up being the lucky ticket. Once you sign that ticket you are, in the eyes of the lottery, the rightful owner and no one else can take claim to that ticket. Had a lottery official once explain this to me and how soo many don't realize this until it happens to them

I Agree!Don't want to join the group of forgetful winning ticket owners, with new owners!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                Texas
                United States
                Member #92330
                June 5, 2010
                887 Posts
                Posted: December 29, 2013, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

Nope. The fingerprint idea is interesting, though.

Reason I don't sign is because I'd claim via a trust and from what I've read, if your name is on the back, that's the winner they'll announce (instead of something like LDIF Trust). I do make a copy of the ticket though, which is easy enough since I only have to do that once a month.

United States
                  Member #149820
                  December 9, 2013
                  644 Posts
                  Posted: December 29, 2013, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

You know I used to sign them as a show of confidence before the draw, you know like saying and believing I got the win before the draw. now i never won a dime by doing this but I was trying methods like in "the secret". beliveing in it before it happens

Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #150273
                    December 18, 2013
                    495 Posts
                    Posted: December 30, 2013, 9:36 am - IP Logged

Nope. The fingerprint idea is interesting, though.

Reason I don't sign is because I'd claim via a trust and from what I've read, if your name is on the back, that's the winner they'll announce (instead of something like LDIF Trust). I do make a copy of the ticket though, which is easy enough since I only have to do that once a month.

Actually, i believe that may be a myth in most cases and it makes sense why that may be when i think about the way the lottery explained it to me recently. I have been asking some questions and if i was you, i would thoroughly look into this for your particular state lottery. The way it was explained to me was once you present your ticket and the process of verifying is complete, a whole new process of legal claim forms are presented which addresses things like the handling of proceeds going forward. This is where things like setting up a trust will be legally documented and entered. Signing your ticket protects ownership of your ticket, but it's the legal claim forms that is the official legal agreement on how the funds will be handled. For me, this makes sense.

Fingerprints can indentify that someone held that ticket, but it doesn't verify that the fingerprint on the ticket is the rightful owner though. This is why it is soo important to sign our tickets, or keep our tickets in a safe place because if someone else gets ahold of it and signs it, it's game over sadly for the rightful owner. They don't even need a signature just be in possession of that ticket. Signing my tickets ensures it game over for anyone else and rendered worthless to them.Big Grin

Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #150273
                      December 18, 2013
                      495 Posts
                      Posted: December 30, 2013, 10:05 am - IP Logged

Something else to add, it was about a year ago i was playing quick draw alot and given it involves soo many numbers i wanted to use a highlighter for easy matching. So i called the lottery inquiring if i could do that. I was told it is not recommended. Only the original ticket is acceptable as they do not honor copies or any ticket that has been blemished in any way. I was told there have been cases where people marked their tickets and those tickets were not honored for various reasons mostly due to obstructing features of the ticket. I remember recently seeing a news channel talking about what a winner goes through once they win. One of the things they did was scan the ticket to ensure the paper, ink and hidden security markings were present. Course, got me thinking about how i store my tickets. I always thought as long as they could verify the bar codes that is all they were concerned with, but i guess it's not that simple as far as their check points in verifying a ticket is authentic. Seems like they could check to verify it was indeed printed from one of there machines, but i can't imagine why the lottery would have cautioned me to not highlight my ticket numbers if that were the case. I am practicing better safe then sorry and following what they told me regardlessApprove

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                        Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: December 30, 2013, 10:27 am - IP Logged

Actually, i believe that may be a myth in most cases and it makes sense why that may be when i think about the way the lottery explained it to me recently. I have been asking some questions and if i was you, i would thoroughly look into this for your particular state lottery. The way it was explained to me was once you present your ticket and the process of verifying is complete, a whole new process of legal claim forms are presented which addresses things like the handling of proceeds going forward. This is where things like setting up a trust will be legally documented and entered. Signing your ticket protects ownership of your ticket, but it's the legal claim forms that is the official legal agreement on how the funds will be handled. For me, this makes sense.

Fingerprints can indentify that someone held that ticket, but it doesn't verify that the fingerprint on the ticket is the rightful owner though. This is why it is soo important to sign our tickets, or keep our tickets in a safe place because if someone else gets ahold of it and signs it, it's game over sadly for the rightful owner. They don't even need a signature just be in possession of that ticket. Signing my tickets ensures it game over for anyone else and rendered worthless to them.Big Grin

They don't even need a signature just be in possession of that ticket. Signing my tickets ensures it game over for anyone else and rendered worthless to them.

You posted about this before, but in reality just because you are in possession of a ticket and sign it, that doesn't automatically mean you get paid. For large prizes, the lottery will check if the ticket was legally obtained and the claimant is the rightful owner. There have been many cases of thieves/clerks trying to claim prizes as their own, but upon further investigation, found that they belonged to a customer.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                          Los Angeles, California
                          United States
                          Member #103813
                          January 5, 2011
                          1530 Posts
                          Posted: December 30, 2013, 10:30 am - IP Logged

I sign my tickets if and when they are worth $600 or more.

People getting ripped off are because they don't know the value fo their winning tickets. I always know, so I would never hand a clerk a >=$600 ticket, I would sign and and then present it at a claims center.

Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #150273
                            December 18, 2013
                            495 Posts
                            Posted: December 30, 2013, 11:17 am - IP Logged

They don't even need a signature just be in possession of that ticket. Signing my tickets ensures it game over for anyone else and rendered worthless to them.

You posted about this before, but in reality just because you are in possession of a ticket and sign it, that doesn't automatically mean you get paid. For large prizes, the lottery will check if the ticket was legally obtained and the claimant is the rightful owner. There have been many cases of thieves/clerks trying to claim prizes as their own, but upon further investigation, found that they belonged to a customer.

Yes, it was brought up regarding a news article which prompted me to start this discussion because i thought it was worthy of discussion. My goodness Jon, i just can't figure out where you are going because clearly, the lottery is gonna do a verification process with every ticket presented.

Did i say anywhere that a verification process does not take place? My point was protecting your ticket in light of such stories where there are lost or stolen tickets that turn out to be winners by signing them. Unless someone has done something fraudulent, then the signature stands as the rightful owner.

Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #150273
                              December 18, 2013
                              495 Posts
                              Posted: December 30, 2013, 11:27 am - IP Logged

I sign my tickets if and when they are worth $600 or more.

People getting ripped off are because they don't know the value fo their winning tickets. I always know, so I would never hand a clerk a >=$600 ticket, I would sign and and then present it at a claims center.

But what if something happens to your ticket between purchasing it and the drawing and it turns out to be a winner. These are the many stories we read about and what i was trying to make a discussion about Thumbs Up