Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you sign your tickets?

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 3 years ago by BigDMike.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
Indiana
United States
Member #150273
December 18, 2013
495 Posts
Posted: December 31, 2013, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

"In my state, there is no bearer instrument language on the tickets, and only a few lines down does it say to sign your ticket to indicate ownership."

The majority of wins are under $600 and the value of the tickets are determined by bar codes. My state says to immediately sign the the ticket because it's a receipt, but it doesn't prove the signer bought the ticket. Is there a logical reason to sign the back of one of those tickets when the name of the ticket holder is irrelevant?

Even if signing the ticket proves ownership, a photo ID is not required when cashing those tickets so again any signature on the back is worthless. The best advice is probably to sign the back of the tickets as the clerk is handing them to you, but based on many of the court rulings, a signature doesn't prove sole ownership.

KY lottery website:

"Always sign your name to the back of your ticket(s). This will help protect your claim in the event you win."

"You must be at least 18 years of age to purchase or redeem tickets, and you must be able to present valid government issued photo identification for any prize over $600." 

So yes, if your ticket is a winner under $600 your screwed because with the KY lottery and many others as well..ID is not required. Now my local retailer does require ID if it's over $50, but i believe this may be more for their protection and records, and/or the lottery may require this of them for certain payout amounts made a the retailer level. I don't know.
In this discussion though, i was speaking on behalf of large ticket winnings over $600 with a focus on JP's, but you do raise a good point when it comes to $600 or less winnings.

Unless there is fraudulent activity that can be proven in a court of law, a signature does establish ownership. In many cases though, which was my point and where i was coming from, it will be very hard to have that kind of evidence needed for it to stand in a court of law and override a signature. Given that will more then likely be the circumstances of most people, i vote it's best to sign the ticket to establish ownership as the lottery instructs to protect my claim.
    Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7310 Posts
    Posted: December 31, 2013, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

KY lottery website:

"Always sign your name to the back of your ticket(s). This will help protect your claim in the event you win."

"You must be at least 18 years of age to purchase or redeem tickets, and you must be able to present valid government issued photo identification for any prize over $600." 

So yes, if your ticket is a winner under $600 your screwed because with the KY lottery and many others as well..ID is not required. Now my local retailer does require ID if it's over $50, but i believe this may be more for their protection and records, and/or the lottery may require this of them for certain payout amounts made a the retailer level. I don't know.
    In this discussion though, i was speaking on behalf of large ticket winnings over $600 with a focus on JP's, but you do raise a good point when it comes to $600 or less winnings.

Unless there is fraudulent activity that can be proven in a court of law, a signature does establish ownership. In many cases though, which was my point and where i was coming from, it will be very hard to have that kind of evidence needed for it to stand in a court of law and override a signature. Given that will more then likely be the circumstances of most people, i vote it's best to sign the ticket to establish ownership as the lottery instructs to protect my claim.

I'm pretty sure requiring ID to cash any ticket over $50 but under $600 is a store policy because unless it's on printed on the back of the tickets (which I doubt), it's not a state lottery rule. The store where I generally buy tickets is also a cashing agent and it's common for them to validate a ticket under the limit and hand the player the cash with no questions asked.

Signing the ticket before the results are known is personal preference, but I'm not sure if signing the ticket is a validation requirement if the value is over $600. I've cashed tickets over $600, but I signed the back of the tickets before cashing them so I can't say for a fact it's necessary for the cashing agent to see a signature on the back of a ticket. The KY Lottery says it "will help protect the claim", but says nothing about being necessary to collect.

I Agree!  If there is any doubt the simple thing to do is sign the back of the ticket.

Indiana
      United States
      Member #150273
      December 18, 2013
      495 Posts
      Posted: December 31, 2013, 5:31 pm - IP Logged
      Actually the KY lottery website says this under the customer service tab (FAQS tab) and this basically answers the question what they  meant by saying sign the back of your ticket it will help protect your claim should you win ...and regarding requirements about signing tickets to claim prize as well.
      What proof does anyone have that the winning ticket is really theirs?
      Sign the back of your ticket immediately upon purchase. Lottery tickets are bearer instruments.

How do i claim a Kentucky Lottery prize?
      1. Sign the back of your winning ticket.
      2.  Present your signed ticket, along with a valid ID and proof of your social security number to a Kentucky Lottery retailer, cashing agent, regional office or claims clerk at headquarters.
      3. Prizes over $600 require a completed claim form to download a printable claim form to send in with your winning ticket
      Good luck on MM tonight everyone!! and Happy New Year to you allDance

United States
        Member #124493
        March 14, 2012
        7023 Posts
        Posted: December 31, 2013, 6:02 pm - IP Logged
        If the JP is at a record high i do, but i admit when it's not... i get lazy Sad Wavey
        We read soo many articles about lost or stolen tickets and it's always a reminder that stuff does happen. For many of us our tickets will never end up lost or stolen, but it could happen and there are enough stories to prove it does. While the best protection against most of these types of situations is right there on the back of our tickets, why is such a simple, yet important thing soo over looked by players? We take the time to research and carefully pick our numbers, go to the retailer to get our ticket, and then pay money to buy those tickets and then track the drawings....but we don't take five minutes to protect ourselves by signing our tickets? 
        Soo many scenarios can easily happen to anyone when you think about it, but if players don't sign their tickets, anyone who attempts to steal it or finds it can and will do what the original owner did not...sign it! >>and take the winnings.
        Do you sign your tickets and what are your thoughts on the matter. I know i am gonna make it a goal of mine to start getting in the habit of doing it all the time.

Generally I dont sign my tickets, generally, I dont sign my $100 dollar bills either.

I generally trust my clerks, (except for the ones who try to steal my tickets.)

They know pretty well by now that I will not hesitate to knock over the cheesy poofs.

But considering a large winning ticket, I would probably mark it as being mine. 

Perhaps a nice spritz of flouresecent liquid, or some resin from my tobacco pipe. 

Also any large ticket should be photocopied, (just dont leave it in the photocopier)

a subtle message also, such asproperty of LB - handle with caution, mishandling of this ticket could result in penalty of death.

"should" prevent any foul play.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: December 31, 2013, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

Jon, these are cases of a store clerk on camera committing fraud and caught in the act on camera....sigh...i give upBang Head!

Good day Jon

Still going with this, huh...

Don't you see that's your whole argument, that you need to sign your ticket, OR ESLE!

Well, what is that OR ELSE? It's someone trying to take ownership of your ticket by theft or fraud isn't it? Exactly what I was explaining.

And you make statements like:

...the lottery doesn't concern itself with whose signature got on a ticket...
          ...if someone else gets ahold of it and signs it, it's game over sadly for the rightful owner.

Sorry, that's just plain wrong.

Just because you DON'T sign your tickets, that does not mean you give up your rights as the rightful owner. And lotteries and authorities DO care, they are on the side of the rightful owner, not the thief. The lottery wants to pay the rightful owner, not a thief or an unauthorized person. That is what matters when they investigate large claims, and that can override who just happens to bear the ticket and have his signature on the ticket.

You see what I'm getting at?

So yes, sign your tickets at the appropriate time. But lets not scare people into thinking we have a lawless society and finders keepers is the rule of law. It's not.

Indiana
            United States
            Member #150273
            December 18, 2013
            495 Posts
            Posted: December 31, 2013, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

Generally I dont sign my tickets, generally, I dont sign my $100 dollar bills either.

I generally trust my clerks, (except for the ones who try to steal my tickets.)

They know pretty well by now that I will not hesitate to knock over the cheesy poofs.

But considering a large winning ticket, I would probably mark it as being mine. 

Perhaps a nice spritz of flouresecent liquid, or some resin from my tobacco pipe. 

Also any large ticket should be photocopied, (just dont leave it in the photocopier)

a subtle message also, such asproperty of LB - handle with caution, mishandling of this ticket could result in penalty of death.

"should" prevent any foul play.

Your subtle message just might do the trick Big Grin..smiles and giggles

Chadu82's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg

United States
              Member #150713
              December 29, 2013
              6 Posts
              Posted: December 31, 2013, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

I haven't been signing my tickets but I've given it thought and I've been meaning to get better about it. I think it would probably be a good idea for everyone to do it, especially people like me who play quick picks since I can't hardly remember my numbers and if the ticket was stolen, I'd feel a 'little' better knowing I had signed it if it was the big 'one'. So yes, I do think it's wise for everyone to sign their tickets after reading about different lawsuits that have happened from people making claims about a ticket being theirs.

United States
                Member #128790
                June 2, 2012
                5431 Posts
                Posted: December 31, 2013, 8:58 pm - IP Logged
                If the JP is at a record high i do, but i admit when it's not... i get lazy Sad Wavey
                We read soo many articles about lost or stolen tickets and it's always a reminder that stuff does happen. For many of us our tickets will never end up lost or stolen, but it could happen and there are enough stories to prove it does. While the best protection against most of these types of situations is right there on the back of our tickets, why is such a simple, yet important thing soo over looked by players? We take the time to research and carefully pick our numbers, go to the retailer to get our ticket, and then pay money to buy those tickets and then track the drawings....but we don't take five minutes to protect ourselves by signing our tickets? 
                Soo many scenarios can easily happen to anyone when you think about it, but if players don't sign their tickets, anyone who attempts to steal it or finds it can and will do what the original owner did not...sign it! >>and take the winnings.
                Do you sign your tickets and what are your thoughts on the matter. I know i am gonna make it a goal of mine to start getting in the habit of doing it all the time.

Anyone who can't keep track and sign their tickets shouldn't play in the first place. According to the stats you provided, there are a lot more sidetracked individuals than I originally imagined. Scary.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #92330
                  June 5, 2010
                  887 Posts
                  Posted: December 31, 2013, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Personally, i think if someone stole it and then realized it was signed, they would resort to plan B and then claim they found it with hopes of a reward for turning it in. I think in most cases, a signature would more then likely be visible and serve as a deterrent because it would be worthless to them and too much of a risk getting caught trying to claim a reward.

If you feel comfortable that your methods will prevail without a need to sign your ticket in the event your ticket is lost or stolen, then your decision and what you feel is best for you is what matters. If your state lottery confirms that they will use the name on the ticket and not the legal name of the trust for who the proceeds will be paid to per the official legal claim forms, then i understand why you may opt to not sign your ticket if staying private is important to you. Staying private is my goal as wellThumbs Up. I am certainly not judging anyone's decision nor did you in anyway say i was, i just wanted to clarify that just in case and state i am only throwing out some food for thought and what i have learned from my state lottery.
                  I would like to think my tickets will never end up lost or stolen and that it won't happen to me, but way too many things in my life have proven otherwise that have happened that i would have never thought would...and enough lottery stories as a reminder it can.

Personally I think a majority would just trash it. Likely during a robbery they wouldn't bother checking the back for a name so it wouldn't deter them from taking it. If it was taken during a robbery, I think having all the other evidence of it being mine would be better than having my name on it. If my numbers won I could contact the Lottery Commission and show them my photocopy and they could review the tape from the store seeing me buy it. Then if someone comes in with it, they get caught and I get my money.

Really though I don't expect the ticket to get stolen. With everything else in the house that's out in the open I don't think they'd be going through a bunch of random books (though yes, robbers do check books). I also don't think I'm in the group of people that needs to worry about signing tickets (I don't give my ticket to a cashier and check, doublecheck then triple check at home for the amount won).

Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #150273
                    December 18, 2013
                    495 Posts
                    Posted: January 1, 2014, 8:43 am - IP Logged

What is scary is how many people believe their photocopies will be accepted by the lottery as proof they own it in the event something happens to their ticket. If i had a large winning ticket i would still make a copy, but i would in no way expect my photocopy without the original to serve as validation in order to claim the prize or serve as proof that i am the rightful owner of the ticket because of the following

Hoosier Lottery states:
                    A ticket is the only valid proof for play and the only valid proof of receipt for claiming a prize.
                    A valid ticket must originate from the lottery commission.
                    Another is counting on proving you are the owner because the camera shows you purchasing the ticket. Thing is, there is no law that says that lottery tickets are only valid to the purchaser. One quick example is giving a ticket as a gift prior to the drawing and that is perfectly legal. Two people come to the lottery, one who is in possession of the winning ticket says they were given it as a gift, another says hey i bought it i am the owner just look at the camera you will see i purchased it. Who does the lottery believe? he said she said. So given there is no law that says only the purchaser can be the rightful owner, trying to make your case through showing you purchased the ticket on the camera is groundless. This is why the lottery clearly states the correct means of how to establish ownership, because the camera is not one of them given. Unless fraudulent activity can be proven which would be very very hard to do in such situations, the person in possession of a ticket that does not bear another's name other then their own is the deciding factor. There is no law that says a purchaser can not, prior to drawing, transfer (give) their ticket to someone else. 

Marking your ticket is not going to help you either, and if anything, just might cause your ticket to be invalid. My lottery encourages to not soo much as use a highlighter on a ticket when i asked and indicated that all tickets should be free of markings, blemishes and the such or it could be rendered invalid and i was told it happens. Whose fingerprints and such that are on a ticket in no way validates who the owner of a ticket is. Unless there is proof that fraud has been committed, the possessor of a blank ticket or whose signature is on the ticket stands.

Honestly with self ticket scanners now in retailers and of course camera's watching, i really see the dishonest clerk issue the least to be concerned with.. What i see is easily dropping a ticket among your tickets in the parking lot or driving down the road and one blows out while on your cellphone, a ticket accidentally slipping out your purse while your digging for your wallet at the grocery (if your purse is anything like mine and serves as a suitcase Yikes!!) and so on. 
                    At the end of the day if the lottery does not have proof that fraudulent activity took place, their final decision will stand because they did tell a player the proper way to establish ownership and this is what they are gonna point to when they say sorry, there is nothing more we can do and not enough proof to prove otherwise. We put it on the website and we put on the tickets, had you signed it you would have established ownership.
                      savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3300 Posts
                      Posted: January 1, 2014, 9:44 am - IP Logged

I started signing the bck of my tickets hen i realised  we have players cards where the winning ticket is registered to me anyhow, if i lose ill get paid anyhow deposit right to bank account, well they might call me and ask where is my winning ticket. heh well a few have sigs on now.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #150273
                        December 18, 2013
                        495 Posts
                        Posted: January 1, 2014, 9:59 am - IP Logged

I started signing the bck of my tickets hen i realised  we have players cards where the winning ticket is registered to me anyhow, if i lose ill get paid anyhow deposit right to bank account, well they might call me and ask where is my winning ticket. heh well a few have sigs on now.

Now that would solve alot of problems....registering tickets at the time of purchase. Wish state's would do something like that here in america. I guess though it would be too time consuming at checkout, but if they provided everyone with one of those cards you get like you do with grocery stores and they could just scan it and your ticket is automatically registered with your info...wow that would be cool. Course then again, maybe the lottery is counting on those lost tickets that are never found or forgotten about in the floor of your back seat...i know who does that but my husband was one of those people..only played a few times a year and never took the possibility of winning seriously.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #92330
                          June 5, 2010
                          887 Posts
                          Posted: January 1, 2014, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

What is scary is how many people believe their photocopies will be accepted by the lottery as proof they own it in the event something happens to their ticket. If i had a large winning ticket i would still make a copy, but i would in no way expect my photocopy without the original to serve as validation in order to claim the prize or serve as proof that i am the rightful owner of the ticket because of the following

Hoosier Lottery states:
                          A ticket is the only valid proof for play and the only valid proof of receipt for claiming a prize.
                          A valid ticket must originate from the lottery commission.
                          Another is counting on proving you are the owner because the camera shows you purchasing the ticket. Thing is, there is no law that says that lottery tickets are only valid to the purchaser. One quick example is giving a ticket as a gift prior to the drawing and that is perfectly legal. Two people come to the lottery, one who is in possession of the winning ticket says they were given it as a gift, another says hey i bought it i am the owner just look at the camera you will see i purchased it. Who does the lottery believe? he said she said. So given there is no law that says only the purchaser can be the rightful owner, trying to make your case through showing you purchased the ticket on the camera is groundless. This is why the lottery clearly states the correct means of how to establish ownership, because the camera is not one of them given. Unless fraudulent activity can be proven which would be very very hard to do in such situations, the person in possession of a ticket that does not bear another's name other then their own is the deciding factor. There is no law that says a purchaser can not, prior to drawing, transfer (give) their ticket to someone else. 

Marking your ticket is not going to help you either, and if anything, just might cause your ticket to be invalid. My lottery encourages to not soo much as use a highlighter on a ticket when i asked and indicated that all tickets should be free of markings, blemishes and the such or it could be rendered invalid and i was told it happens. Whose fingerprints and such that are on a ticket in no way validates who the owner of a ticket is. Unless there is proof that fraud has been committed, the possessor of a blank ticket or whose signature is on the ticket stands.

Honestly with self ticket scanners now in retailers and of course camera's watching, i really see the dishonest clerk issue the least to be concerned with.. What i see is easily dropping a ticket among your tickets in the parking lot or driving down the road and one blows out while on your cellphone, a ticket accidentally slipping out your purse while your digging for your wallet at the grocery (if your purse is anything like mine and serves as a suitcase Yikes!!) and so on. 
                          At the end of the day if the lottery does not have proof that fraudulent activity took place, their final decision will stand because they did tell a player the proper way to establish ownership and this is what they are gonna point to when they say sorry, there is nothing more we can do and not enough proof to prove otherwise. We put it on the website and we put on the tickets, had you signed it you would have established ownership.

Obviously a phtocopy isn't going to be accepted in lieu of the actual ticket. But there have been enough cases where a ticket was proven to be someone elses and the money awarded to the original, actual owner. Even when the original owner trashed the ticket and a stranger found and claimed the ticket.

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-lost-ark-lotto-ticket-entitled-1m-001711454.html

The lottery ticket is a bearer instrument line is overrated (when it comes to "if your name is on it, you get the money"). The above is just one case out of many where a ticket was proven to be someone elses, even though they had as little proof as possible to show it was their ticket. I have faith that having a photocopy of the ticket, plus me on the video buying the ticket along with a police report of a break-in and a list of stolen items that there would be no doubt. That I can prove I have a history of buying 10 draw tickets at the same store numerous times would also help.

I'm with you on advising against marking the ticket itself, but I have seen pictures of jackpot winning tickets with numerous numbers circled (how the winner checked for matching numbers) and the lottery said nothing. There's even cases of the ticket being torn up and in pieces or where the ticket was nearly beyond recognizable.

Maybe I have too much faith in the Lottery Commission, but from what I've seen in past cases they will work to ensure the correct owner of the ticket is the one who gets the money. I have zero worries about not signing my ticket.

Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #150273
                            December 18, 2013
                            495 Posts
                            Posted: January 2, 2014, 9:20 am - IP Logged
                            This is clearly a really bad story to use.  There is a lot of missing info in this article to specifics for why the judge was persuaded to disagree with the lotteries own investigation. Given the nature of this case the judge very well may have felt this potentially was a inside job by employees and this woman who pulled it out of the trash. KEY POINT...she was told it was not a winner...hmmm. We have a glitchy camera that just so happens to not sync at a rather interesting time regarding this case, conflicting employee stories about whether a "do not take trash" sign was put up before or after the ticket was found in the store trash. No fault was found with the lotto machine after it was inspected....Blah Blah Blah...fishy.
                            Most importantly who did the lottery, concluding their own investigation, recognize as the official owner and award the money to? that's right the woman who found the "abandoned" ticket in the trash. I would be willing to bet there is a whole lot more to this story then we are being told to understand why the ruling went the way it did. Supposedly they are filing an appeal and once all the evidence ends up in another judge's hands and what their findings are will be interesting. Will he find the lottery's investigation based on sound judgement, or is there new information beyond the lottery's findings that was a game changer on the first judges ruling that was not shared in the news article. Honestly, i side with the lottery based on the information released, It's the purchaser's responsibility to double check their numbers on that lottery's official website and not rely solely on a machine...and sign their ticket.
                            Something to remember, from time to time we see some outrageous rulings by judges that makes us shake our head. Like a needle in a haystack, it's not unheard of to find one from time to time. This may or may not be the situation with this case...there is not enough info provided to determine if it was one of those odd ball bad rulings or not. The next judge who hears this case will certainly determine that.
                            I think folks need to remember, it is in the lottery's interest to ensure the proper people get paid, but it is not their job to play sides but to rely on and enforce rules put in place that are clearly stated on the tickets and the website. Signing your ticket establishes ownership and had this woman signed her ticket, it would have established ownership regardless if it was thrown away and found. This would have been a very simple case had she done that one simple thing and further supports what i have been saying and why one should always sign their tickets.
                              Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #150273
                              December 18, 2013
                              495 Posts
                              Posted: January 2, 2014, 9:52 am - IP Logged

What each player decides is important or relevant regarding their ticket is certainly their choice. I am merely concerned with what the lottery tells me and what is in writing by the lottery itself. This is what i am basing my decisions on. I do not want to make assumptions as to how they will handle things nor do i want to have my own common sense be my bases for what i believe the lottery will or should do in such events. 

Unfortunately, there are way too many times justice does not prevail when a wrong is done and every wrong is not always made right due to lack of proof and evidence. The lottery provides a way of establishing proof and evidence that i am the rightful owner and states so in writing on the back of my ticket and their website. Unless one engages in fraudulent activity, their signatures stands as the final say. That's not my opinion or assumption, that is what the lottery has told me and further states in writing.