Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why does Richard Lustig never say how much he had spent to get his wins?

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 3 years ago by mypiemaster.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: February 14, 2014, 7:26 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I was watching some You Tube interviews with Richard Lustig and he avioided answering questions about how much he has spent to get his lottery wins over the years. He says he plays daily and looks at this as his second job (he runs a talent booking agency that books 70 and 80's bands). It was quite funny seeing him with Cynthia Stafford on a Good Morning America segment when he said to not play quick picks and that you should stick to playing your own numbers and then Cynthia said she won with a quick pick. His theory about picking your own numbers do not make sense to me since he believes that you have a better chance of your numbers coming up someday if you play every single time with those same numbers. The problem I see with playing your own numbers would mean being tied down to feeling like you can never miss playing in case that one time you missed your numbers came up . That's why I play QP's. As far as scratch tickets he said if you can afford it you should buy 10 of the same tickets at a time and that you  will be guaranteed to have about 3 or so wins. I've heard of some people on this board who have had all losing tickets with that method. I still buy one scratcher at a time and if I win will cash out and leave store and if not then will buy one more ticket and leave. I give props to Richard for his wins but do not think his advice is good. The only thing I agree with him is to stick to a budget and don't go over that. He must have a huge budget to be spending so much daily. I still think he  has had more of an advantage than most people because of how much he can afford to spend playing. Do you agree with his theories?

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19740 Posts
    Posted: February 14, 2014, 7:50 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I was watching some You Tube interviews with Richard Lustig and he avioided answering questions about how much he has spent to get his lottery wins over the years. He says he plays daily and looks at this as his second job (he runs a talent booking agency that books 70 and 80's bands). It was quite funny seeing him with Cynthia Stafford on a Good Morning America segment when he said to not play quick picks and that you should stick to playing your own numbers and then Cynthia said she won with a quick pick. His theory about picking your own numbers do not make sense to me since he believes that you have a better chance of your numbers coming up someday if you play every single time with those same numbers. The problem I see with playing your own numbers would mean being tied down to feeling like you can never miss playing in case that one time you missed your numbers came up . That's why I play QP's. As far as scratch tickets he said if you can afford it you should buy 10 of the same tickets at a time and that you  will be guaranteed to have about 3 or so wins. I've heard of some people on this board who have had all losing tickets with that method. I still buy one scratcher at a time and if I win will cash out and leave store and if not then will buy one more ticket and leave. I give props to Richard for his wins but do not think his advice is good. The only thing I agree with him is to stick to a budget and don't go over that. He must have a huge budget to be spending so much daily. I still think he  has had more of an advantage than most people because of how much he can afford to spend playing. Do you agree with his theories?

I don't agree with him and as far as what he spends on the lottery he says save your old NON-winning tickets for a tax deduction must mean he lost i mean plays a lot. LOL 

YES! I LOVE when cynthia stafford said she won with a quick pickDance

she sure made him look like a Jack-in-the-Box

Let it Snow Snowman

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: February 14, 2014, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

It doesn't really matter. He probably spends a lot, more than the average person.

But that's not what makes him unique. There are many other multiple large prize lottery winners.

Some people will win a big one like Cynthia Stafford, or win multiple times like Richard Lustig. That will happen to some people purely by chance. A certain percentage of those winners will have a system or method when playing. And a certain percentage of those will believe they won because of that system or method. And a smaller percentage of those will then go on to try and sell that system or method to others as snake oil.

They might have some mathematical system, or a method of number picking, or they believe in visualization, positive thinking, law of attraction, prayer, superstition, dreams, etc. But then if they win, they may have a kind of false belief in a self fulfilling prophecy, that the system or method or belief caused them to win, instead of just by chance or increased play.

Like if you won when you ate Cantaloupe and Belgian waffles for breakfast, and you continue to play more, each time eating the same breakfast, and won again. Some people will absolutely believe they won because they ate Cantaloupe and Belgian waffles for breakfast, and then go on to sell that winning method to people.

Richard Lustig is a rare winner. A multiple winner who went on to hawk his belief in his method as the reason he won, instead just good luck.

United States
        Member #149820
        December 9, 2013
        643 Posts
        Posted: February 14, 2014, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I think he keeps it confidential unless you buy the book, but Im not sure you'd win anymore than if you used your own method either

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #149492
          December 2, 2013
          919 Posts
          Posted: February 14, 2014, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

If he reveals how much he plays with no pick 6 jackpot wins, the mainstream audience (potential purchasers of his books) may discover that he really has nothing unique to sell.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
            Economy class
            Belgium
            Member #123700
            February 27, 2012
            4035 Posts
            Posted: February 14, 2014, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

If he says that he uses a method, then he probably does.

For the winnings, yes, you need some luck for the jackpots. Did he win by pure luck? I am not so sure. Playing more does indeed increase your probability to win a pot.

If you can deduce tickets from your taxes, you should do this, especially when you play alot.

Maybe I should eat some gauffre de Bruxelles with strawberries and whipped cream, or do you mean that the gauffre Liègeoise with sugar is better? We also have those thin vanilla waffles. I wouldn't eat a cavaillon for breakfast, I know it with smoked ham.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23259 Posts
              Posted: February 14, 2014, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Here's his system in a nutshell:  Play every drawing using the same numbers every time.  If you can only afford a little, then play a little.  If you can afford more, then play more.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #103813
                January 5, 2011
                1530 Posts
                Posted: February 14, 2014, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

Here's his system in a nutshell:  Play every drawing using the same numbers every time.  If you can only afford a little, then play a little.  If you can afford more, then play more.

Yes Nod Exactly! You can save yourself the $35. Amazing how he expanded on that into a complete book(let).

His real skill is parlaying his "7" jackpot wins into endless TV and talk show appearances. I'll give him that.

Note to TV stations and Talk shows: (if PB rolls again and gets into record territory)

PLEASE don't book this guy. We don't need to see him or hear his bunk anymore. Youtube provides all the Lustig laughter and entertainment needed to last a lifetime.

Book Todd instead. I think he made a much better representative of lottery aficionados. Thumbs Up

Economy class
                  Belgium
                  Member #123700
                  February 27, 2012
                  4035 Posts
                  Posted: February 14, 2014, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

This is a bit tricky. Let's say that you use the same numbers, that doesn't mean that you combine them the same way.

If you play 1 to 10, you can play now 1 2 3 4 5 with 6 7 8 9 10 and next time 1 4 6 7 8 with 2 3 5 9 10.

Economy class
                    Belgium
                    Member #123700
                    February 27, 2012
                    4035 Posts
                    Posted: February 14, 2014, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

I don't agree with him and as far as what he spends on the lottery he says save your old NON-winning tickets for a tax deduction must mean he lost i mean plays a lot. LOL 

YES! I LOVE when cynthia stafford said she won with a quick pickDance

she sure made him look like a Jack-in-the-Box

A diet wouldn't hurt a bit!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23259 Posts
                      Posted: February 14, 2014, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

This is a bit tricky. Let's say that you use the same numbers, that doesn't mean that you combine them the same way.

If you play 1 to 10, you can play now 1 2 3 4 5 with 6 7 8 9 10 and next time 1 4 6 7 8 with 2 3 5 9 10.

That sounds like what you say YOU would do, not what he says you should do.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Economy class
                        Belgium
                        Member #123700
                        February 27, 2012
                        4035 Posts
                        Posted: February 14, 2014, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

True. I will ask him, if I meet him again, but probably he would reply, buy my book!

In fact I am looking for setting up different combinations every drawing, a part of the numbers can repeat.

United States
                          Member #145267
                          August 1, 2013
                          1492 Posts
                          Posted: February 14, 2014, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

She won 100 million +dollars, you would not take the before picture?

Economy class
                            Belgium
                            Member #123700
                            February 27, 2012
                            4035 Posts
                            Posted: February 14, 2014, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                              Happyland
                              United States
                              Member #146344
                              September 1, 2013
                              1129 Posts
                              Posted: February 14, 2014, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

I think it was either LCML or one of Yahoo's videos that revealed how much he estimated having spent on the lottery over the years. I've looked for it but can't find it; I know I saw a few of months ago, after one of the jackpot frenzies. It was a pretty big number.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                              If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                              P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1