Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 8:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you honor a pact you made to " share your JP winnings" while drinking with a friend?

Topic closed. 64 replies. Last post 3 years ago by onlymoney.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4146 Posts
Posted: February 18, 2014, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

Scenario: You are regularly drinking with your childhood buddy/ buddies and in the conversation over the years the topic of winning the lottery comes up...well guess what?
You finally hit the Big One clearing over $200 Mil in the process, do you honor the agreement with your friend/friends or do you complain that saying things while under the influence of alcohol is " none binding"?

* Have a Great rest of the week people....

*** One more thing- let's win these jackpots okay?

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    42228 Posts
    Posted: February 18, 2014, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

Your only as good as your word, you give your word you keep your word.

HyperBe Happy.

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
      SW Florida
      United States
      Member #145673
      August 11, 2013
      152 Posts
      Posted: February 18, 2014, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

Personally, I wouldn't go around making such pacts, especially if the drinking buddy doesn't put out the money for the tickets but if that's what you promised, then you have to stick by it and do what you promised.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
        TX
        United States
        Member #121193
        January 4, 2012
        1637 Posts
        Posted: February 18, 2014, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

Whewwwwww...Tough question. I think back to my youth and some of the statements I may have made while consuming alcohol ??? Would I have to honor them ??? Well...... I am going with the "no" option because of the influence of alcohol and NOT making sound ration decisions....But, when I win the big jackpot, then I will help out those I have exchanged promises  in the past ....Just never glad I made any promises under the influence like that !!

LOL

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
          Beautiful Florida
          United States
          Member #5709
          July 18, 2004
          20253 Posts
          Posted: February 18, 2014, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

Yep, you gave your word,  Keep it...

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

United States
            Member #149820
            December 9, 2013
            644 Posts
            Posted: February 18, 2014, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

Well if you can claim diminished capacity when driving drunk and killing somebody and it hold up in court, I would think that while making promises about winning money over a few <snip>tails would also hold that claim as well LOL

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4146 Posts
              Posted: February 18, 2014, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

Whewwwwww...Tough question. I think back to my youth and some of the statements I may have made while consuming alcohol ??? Would I have to honor them ??? Well...... I am going with the "no" option because of the influence of alcohol and NOT making sound ration decisions....But, when I win the big jackpot, then I will help out those I have exchanged promises  in the past ....Just never glad I made any promises under the influence like that !!

LOL

Its only a tough question if one has reservations about keeping one's word. I would imagine that if you have drinking buddies for years, and the topic of the lottery has come up from time to time, drinking or not, there had to be some seriousness involved to begin with.
              I am reminded of a scene in the movie " Tombstone" where Doc Holliday confronts Ringo in the last meeting they were to have since its just the two of them facing a shootout- and Doc reminds Ringo that they did play for " blood"- Ringo's reply was " l was just fooling around"- and Doc's response was " l wasn't".
              Meaning- you have take things serious, we all held accountable for our actions. .especially when talking about Money.
              Friends have become enemies over promises not kept...would you agree?

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #103813
                January 5, 2011
                1530 Posts
                Posted: February 18, 2014, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

Its only a tough question if one has reservations about keeping one's word. I would imagine that if you have drinking buddies for years, and the topic of the lottery has come up from time to time, drinking or not, there had to be some seriousness involved to begin with.
                I am reminded of a scene in the movie " Tombstone" where Doc Holliday confronts Ringo in the last meeting they were to have since its just the two of them facing a shootout- and Doc reminds Ringo that they did play for " blood"- Ringo's reply was " l was just fooling around"- and Doc's response was " l wasn't".
                Meaning- you have take things serious, we all held accountable for our actions. .especially when talking about Money.
                Friends have become enemies over promises not kept...would you agree?

Friendship is a two way street NG.

Would a "true friend" take advantage of you and hold you to a promise made while you were drunk? I think not. Would a true friend take advantage of a lady friend when she was drunk? I think not. They would not be a true friend if they tried to screw you in either case.

The law would take a similar view, that an oral contract would be non-binding while one or both parties was under the influence.

Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4146 Posts
                  Posted: February 18, 2014, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

Friendship is a two way street NG.

Would a "true friend" take advantage of you and hold you to a promise made while you were drunk? I think not. Would a true friend take advantage of a lady friend when she was drunk? I think not. They would not be a true friend if they tried to screw you in either case.

The law would take a similar view, that an oral contract would be non-binding while one or both parties was under the influence.

So l guess your answer JonD is No- l would not honor the pact.
                  Thanks for your response. I am not going to bash you for it. This is after all a discussion,  nothing more.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: February 18, 2014, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

If ya said ya was gonna, ya orta.

But just for the record, if I ever told anybody here that I was ever gonna give ya something if I win, I was lyin'. You ain't gittin' nothin', so fergit about it!

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                      TX
                      United States
                      Member #121193
                      January 4, 2012
                      1637 Posts
                      Posted: February 18, 2014, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

But just for the record, if I ever told anybody here that I was ever gonna give ya something if I win, I was lyin'. You ain't gittin' nothin', so fergit about it!

Sooooo Rdg buddy.....that free "shine " you promised ain't in the mix when you win ????

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4146 Posts
                        Posted: February 18, 2014, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Whoa Ridge..
                        "Am l to understand then that you will not be sticking to the code?"- Capt Jack Sparrow.

Someone once said " Of all the men one can trust, Mountain men stand as Giants"- perhaps they were wrong.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                          u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19967 Posts
                          Posted: February 18, 2014, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Green laugh

Patriot

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: February 18, 2014, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Sooooo Rdg buddy.....that free "shine " you promised ain't in the mix when you win ????

A man's gotta know his limitations, CD.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: February 18, 2014, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Whoa Ridge..
                              "Am l to understand then that you will not be sticking to the code?"- Capt Jack Sparrow.

Someone once said " Of all the men one can trust, Mountain men stand as Giants"- perhaps they were wrong.

If it's Jack Sparrow's code, I'd intentionally abrogate it, that little guy gives me an itch I can't scratch.

Someone once said " Of all the men one can trust, Mountain men stand as Giants"

Yeah, that was me, I said that.