Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you honor a pact you made to " share your JP winnings" while drinking with a friend?

Topic closed. 64 replies. Last post 3 years ago by onlymoney.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
SW Florida
United States
Member #145673
August 11, 2013
152 Posts
Posted: February 18, 2014, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

I didn't see anything in the question that implied you'd be drunk.  Surely people can have a drink or two and have an intelligent conversation and make promises they intend to keep.  Many people propose and accept marriage over a glass or two.  The pact would have to be honored, unless you're a blottoed, drunk mess.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19901 Posts
    Posted: February 18, 2014, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

Playing the lottery and drinking don't mix, besides I never include anyone else even friends or family in my lottery playing.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4146 Posts
      Posted: February 18, 2014, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

I didn't see anything in the question that implied you'd be drunk.  Surely people can have a drink or two and have an intelligent conversation and make promises they intend to keep.  Many people propose and accept marriage over a glass or two.  The pact would have to be honored, unless you're a blottoed, drunk mess.

You hit it on the head, l purposely left out " drunk" because that would somehow imply that things could have been said that carried no weight whatsoever. One could have a serious discussion on any given topic while drinking and in some cases that will not always be translated as " cheap talk".
      I have heard " l slept with her/him because we were both drunk". I am yet to hear the excuse" l proposed to her because l was drunk".. in the movies yeah, but that won't wash in  life when real feelings are involved.

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        42153 Posts
        Posted: February 18, 2014, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

If ya said ya was gonna, ya orta.

But just for the record, if I ever told anybody here that I was ever gonna give ya something if I win, I was lyin'. You ain't gittin' nothin', so fergit about it!

lol, I'll drink to that! Cheers

HyperBe Happy.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10392 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2014, 12:59 am - IP Logged

noise-gate,

Can we add you'd have to consider if the friend you made this pact with would keep one with you if they made it and they won?

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
            Kentucky
            United States
            Member #35086
            March 12, 2006
            10374 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2014, 1:10 am - IP Logged

If it's Jack Sparrow's code, I'd intentionally abrogate it, that little guy gives me an itch I can't scratch.

Someone once said " Of all the men one can trust, Mountain men stand as Giants"

Yeah, that was me, I said that.

Wow.....I  have wondered  all  my  life  who  said  that

I  knew  if  I  lived  long  enough ,  that one day I would finally find out  who  said  that  about   Mountain  Men

And  it  was  you    Ridge    all   along    Scared     

Now  I dont  have to  wonder  no  more   ,  and   I  can  die  in   peace    Thud

Smile

As  you helped me to finally  find out who said that ,  in return I will pass a little info on  , that I found out after many years

Davy  Crockett  was  a  Great   American   from   Tenn.

But  that  song  they  made about him many  years  ago ,   where it says in the song  :

"  Born  on  a  mountain  top  in  Tenn.  "

" Killed  a  bear  when  he  was   only   Three "

You  know  , they  found  out  years  later    Ridge 

That  it  was  the  Bear  that  was  Three     (  not   Davy )   Wink

Which  of  course  dont  make  him  any  less   a    Great   American  Thumbs Up            US Flag

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
              Kentucky
              United States
              Member #35086
              March 12, 2006
              10374 Posts
              Posted: February 19, 2014, 1:24 am - IP Logged

If ya said ya was gonna, ya orta.

But just for the record, if I ever told anybody here that I was ever gonna give ya something if I win, I was lyin'. You ain't gittin' nothin', so fergit about it!

LOL    LOL

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                Member #142499
                May 13, 2013
                1200 Posts
                Posted: February 19, 2014, 4:39 am - IP Logged

You hit it on the head, l purposely left out " drunk" because that would somehow imply that things could have been said that carried no weight whatsoever. One could have a serious discussion on any given topic while drinking and in some cases that will not always be translated as " cheap talk".
                I have heard " l slept with her/him because we were both drunk". I am yet to hear the excuse" l proposed to her because l was drunk".. in the movies yeah, but that won't wash in  life when real feelings are involved.

If you aren't wasted and you remember making the promise the next day, I am not seeing what the issue is. Making a promise while lucid enough to understand that promise means there's no reason not to honour your word. Making a promise while so drunk you don't know what's going on, that's where the ambiguity may lie.

But since you said that they aren't drunk, maybe the question is: would you honor a hypothetical promise? I've heard so many people say 'if I ever win the lottery I will buy you X' or ' I will give you X amount'. If they happen to win, do those 'what if' conversations count?

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3316 Posts
                  Posted: February 19, 2014, 7:16 am - IP Logged

I have to bring up the pal who always says how generous they will be  if they win the lotto, yet NEVER EVER buy tickets. aparently im up for 2 aston martin vantages nd about 5 oz of gold if i win big.  im also guessing there will be some debate on what is considered big. maybe  as low as a millin and someoen will want an aston martin. where as i m thinking in the 10's of millions before i go buying people super cars.

But i have pointed out to that someone that i dont want to hear their empty promises from people who dont  even buy tickets, if i win only people who get a share are the ones who put in some cash. etc. and they dont so if i win i wont be giving them anythiing. needless to say no mor talking lotto in these peoples company.

<div_prefs id="div_prefs">

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

sully16's avatar - sharan
                    Ringleader
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #81740
                    October 28, 2009
                    42153 Posts
                    Posted: February 19, 2014, 8:10 am - IP Logged

If it's Jack Sparrow's code, I'd intentionally abrogate it, that little guy gives me an itch I can't scratch.

Someone once said " Of all the men one can trust, Mountain men stand as Giants"

Yeah, that was me, I said that.

I think it's called cooties, I agree.

HyperBe Happy.

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
                      SW Florida
                      United States
                      Member #145673
                      August 11, 2013
                      152 Posts
                      Posted: February 19, 2014, 10:07 am - IP Logged

I have to bring up the pal who always says how generous they will be  if they win the lotto, yet NEVER EVER buy tickets. aparently im up for 2 aston martin vantages nd about 5 oz of gold if i win big.  im also guessing there will be some debate on what is considered big. maybe  as low as a millin and someoen will want an aston martin. where as i m thinking in the 10's of millions before i go buying people super cars.

But i have pointed out to that someone that i dont want to hear their empty promises from people who dont  even buy tickets, if i win only people who get a share are the ones who put in some cash. etc. and they dont so if i win i wont be giving them anythiing. needless to say no mor talking lotto in these peoples company.

<div_prefs id="div_prefs">

lol! at Mr. Generous who never buys tickets Disapprove   All talk, no action.

Yeah, I reckon a million would not be the time to be handing out heaps of money or expensive gifts. That's the fastest way to losing it all.  A million dollars is just enough to take the edge off the cost of living for the rest of your life, if you're very careful.  It's not the time to think you can live like Hollywood glitterati.  Even $10 million, you'd have to be careful before splashing money and gifts about to anyone who expects it - and I'm sure there'd be a lot who expect/demand it.  You could still lose it all.  It would just take a bit longer.  I think there'd be a lot of envy from some of your friends and family.  They'd probably like it if you lost it all.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                        Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4146 Posts
                        Posted: February 19, 2014, 10:27 am - IP Logged

noise-gate,

Can we add you'd have to consider if the friend you made this pact with would keep one with you if they made it and they won?

Scared

Well had l gone that route with the question CT- it might have rendered the question moot. The excuses from the others could range from " we were drinking, l had no idea you were kidding and so on & so forth, BUT if you initiated the Offer to your buddies, the question remains" will YOU honor it?
                        These are also friends from long ago, does one lawyer up if pressed by said friends? I could be wrong about this but JonD's answer seems to imply that.

Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4146 Posts
                          Posted: February 19, 2014, 10:30 am - IP Logged

Wow.....I  have wondered  all  my  life  who  said  that

I  knew  if  I  lived  long  enough ,  that one day I would finally find out  who  said  that  about   Mountain  Men

And  it  was  you    Ridge    all   along    Scared     

Now  I dont  have to  wonder  no  more   ,  and   I  can  die  in   peace    Thud

Smile

As  you helped me to finally  find out who said that ,  in return I will pass a little info on  , that I found out after many years

Davy  Crockett  was  a  Great   American   from   Tenn.

But  that  song  they  made about him many  years  ago ,   where it says in the song  :

"  Born  on  a  mountain  top  in  Tenn.  "

" Killed  a  bear  when  he  was   only   Three "

You  know  , they  found  out  years  later    Ridge 

That  it  was  the  Bear  that  was  Three     (  not   Davy )   Wink

Which  of  course  dont  make  him  any  less   a    Great   American  Thumbs Up            US Flag

Actually my Uncle said that of " Mountain Men"   after seeing the movie - " Deliverance" with Burt Reynolds.
                          I think it's self explanatory.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                            Massachusetts
                            United States
                            Member #37433
                            April 14, 2006
                            2747 Posts
                            Posted: February 19, 2014, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

The operating word is "drunk." I wouldn't honor it and I wouldn't press a friend who made such an incredible offer to me if they were drunk. Now if I repeated it after getting sober then I would pay up.

That money's gone fo ever

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5145 Posts
                              Posted: February 19, 2014, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

So l guess your answer JonD is No- l would not honor the pact.
                              Thanks for your response. I am not going to bash you for it. This is after all a discussion,  nothing more.

NG:

"so i guess your answer JonD is  No-i would not honor the pact."!!!!!

Before U began act'G like D judge^D jewleraly^^^^^^^^^N^^ dis pact!!!!

NG:

would you honor ????????????????????(ANSWER UR Queston)

(1) YES

(2) NO

What is UR answer NG????????????>>>>>YES or NO<<<<<<<<<<<?????