Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you honor a pact you made to " share your JP winnings" while drinking with a friend?

Topic closed. 64 replies. Last post 3 years ago by onlymoney.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2014, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

The operating word is "drunk." I wouldn't honor it and I wouldn't press a friend who made such an incredible offer to me if they were drunk. Now if I repeated it after getting sober then I would pay up.

Thumbs Up Exactly! This isn't a question about keeping a promise. This is a drunk friend question.

The operable words in the post are:

- pact made while drinking

- agreement while under the influence

I commented similar to you, a "true friend" would not press his friend on a drunken offer. A true friend would be happy for them, and if the offer was genuine, let him offer it to you, don't demand it.

Sounds like this friend is already asking for his share. This friend don't care about your friendship, he only cares about the money. He ain't a true friend. Cut him loose. Case closed. Smash

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
    Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #37433
    April 14, 2006
    2747 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2014, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

Thumbs Up Exactly! This isn't a question about keeping a promise. This is a drunk friend question.

I commented similar to you, a "true friend" would not press his friend on a drunken offer. A true friend would be happy for them, and if the offer was genuine, let him offer it to you, don't demand it.

Sounds like this friend is already asking for his share. This friend don't care about your friendship, he only cares about the money. He ain't a true friend. Cut him loose. Case closed. Smash

Thumbs Up

That money's gone fo ever

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4792 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2014, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

I agree!  If a friend made that promise to me, I would not expect a dime.

J'aime La France.

Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #103813
        January 5, 2011
        1530 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2014, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

I agree!  If a friend made that promise to me, I would not expect a dime.

Thumbs Up

luckyshoes's avatar - butterfly neg.jpg
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #79502
          September 2, 2009
          6395 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2014, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

Regularly drinking and the topic turns to splitting a lottery win?....Would I share ?   Nooooo

Just like I wouldnt agree to turn my house over to him if I bought another 1 because we happened to be regularly drinking.

Surely the most important news of any day ...

is that the sun has risen one more time. Sun Smiley

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4108 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2014, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

No Jon- your assumption is incorrect.  There is nothing in the original question that speaks of either your friends or yourself being " drunk" nor is there a suggestion that your friends are " asking for a share".  The onus is on you as the one " making the pact"... and get this, not once "but over the years". If the topic came up from time to time with you suggesting it- why is the attitude suddenly changed because you won?
            Read the original question again Jon.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              4792 Posts
              Posted: February 19, 2014, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

No Jon- your assumption is incorrect.  There is nothing in the original question that speaks of either your friends or yourself being " drunk" nor is there a suggestion that your friends are " asking for a share".  The onus is on you as the one " making the pact"... and get this, not once "but over the years". If the topic came up from time to time with you suggesting it- why is the attitude suddenly changed because you won?
              Read the original question again Jon.

I think Jon read the facts as presented and as I did as well. Whether someone was drunk is not the issue. It was the typical social gathering where alcohol was present, where people gossip, tell colorful stories, and engage in a bit of hyperbole. People say crazy things at social gatherings regardless of the number of times this alleged "pact" was made. I can't imagine holding anyone to such a promise.

J'aime La France.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4108 Posts
                Posted: February 19, 2014, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

I think Jon read the facts as presented and as I did as well. Whether someone was drunk is not the issue. It was the typical social gathering where alcohol was present, where people gossip, tell colorful stories, and engage in a bit of hyperbole. People say crazy things at social gatherings regardless of the number of times this alleged "pact" was made. I can't imagine holding anyone to such a promise.

Well you entitled to that opinion Artist77, however l would submit to you that if someone told you that they had killed a few people over the years in different States while consuming a few beers- would you classify that as " gossip, a colorful story or better yet- a bit of hyperbole? Would you make certain that the authorities were alerted to what was just told to you? If yes why yes? Since the setting is the same, why would you dismiss a pact spoken over drinks- but not a killing spoken over drinks?

If you remove " alcohol" from the equation altogether- does that imply then that the " pact" is to be taken serious? 

United States
                  Member #128790
                  June 2, 2012
                  5431 Posts
                  Posted: February 19, 2014, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

Scenario: You are regularly drinking with your childhood buddy/ buddies and in the conversation over the years the topic of winning the lottery comes up...well guess what?
                  You finally hit the Big One clearing over $200 Mil in the process, do you honor the agreement with your friend/friends or do you complain that saying things while under the influence of alcohol is " none binding"?

* Have a Great rest of the week people....

*** One more thing- let's win these jackpots okay?

I know what you mean. My 93 year old friend who I drink with regularly has been playing religiously since 1980 and hasn't won yet. But I still ask him what kind of hearing aid he'd buy IF he ever won. Just last week he told me that he's gonna hit the JP any day now. I just shake his hand and nod. Green laugh

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: February 19, 2014, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

Wow.....I  have wondered  all  my  life  who  said  that

I  knew  if  I  lived  long  enough ,  that one day I would finally find out  who  said  that  about   Mountain  Men

And  it  was  you    Ridge    all   along    Scared     

Now  I dont  have to  wonder  no  more   ,  and   I  can  die  in   peace    Thud

Smile

As  you helped me to finally  find out who said that ,  in return I will pass a little info on  , that I found out after many years

Davy  Crockett  was  a  Great   American   from   Tenn.

But  that  song  they  made about him many  years  ago ,   where it says in the song  :

"  Born  on  a  mountain  top  in  Tenn.  "

" Killed  a  bear  when  he  was   only   Three "

You  know  , they  found  out  years  later    Ridge 

That  it  was  the  Bear  that  was  Three     (  not   Davy )   Wink

Which  of  course  dont  make  him  any  less   a    Great   American  Thumbs Up            US Flag

Dadgum straight, AB!

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #150273
                      December 18, 2013
                      495 Posts
                      Posted: February 20, 2014, 9:01 am - IP Logged

I can't imagine making such a statement to anyone even if i had every intention of helping them, but if i did make such a pact i would keep my word. I guess the next question would be, what if something changed for the worse in your relationship with this person from the time you made the pact and finally won? This is just one of many reasons why i would never make such a pack to begin with.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: February 20, 2014, 9:08 am - IP Logged

Well you entitled to that opinion Artist77, however l would submit to you that if someone told you that they had killed a few people over the years in different States while consuming a few beers- would you classify that as " gossip, a colorful story or better yet- a bit of hyperbole? Would you make certain that the authorities were alerted to what was just told to you? If yes why yes? Since the setting is the same, why would you dismiss a pact spoken over drinks- but not a killing spoken over drinks?

If you remove " alcohol" from the equation altogether- does that imply then that the " pact" is to be taken serious? 

Sorry NG, I'd trust Artist's opinion and reading comprehension more than yours, even though you wrote the dang question! LOL

And what's with the sidetracking serial killer stuff?

On that note, try telling a judge that you only had a few drinks with friends, and were NOT drunk when you got into a car and plowed into a mother and daughter walking in a crosswalk. Just a couple of pints of Blue Moon and your BAC can certainly be over the limit and impair your judgement. I fail to see why you are refusing to accept that. No No

Friends don't let friends drive drunk.

Friends don't hold friends to promises made while drunk.

End of story.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                          Indiana
                          United States
                          Member #150273
                          December 18, 2013
                          495 Posts
                          Posted: February 20, 2014, 9:52 am - IP Logged

Honestly, most people in general would not hold each other to it if it was just a brief jokingly kind of thing, but if it was a serious pact then that changes everything and i would keep my word if that was the case. But i would never make such a pact to begin with so there would be no confusion or issues to deal with.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4108 Posts
                            Posted: February 20, 2014, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Sorry NG, I'd trust Artist's opinion and reading comprehension more than yours, even though you wrote the dang question! LOL

And what's with the sidetracking serial killer stuff?

On that note, try telling a judge that you only had a few drinks with friends, and were NOT drunk when you got into a car and plowed into a mother and daughter walking in a crosswalk. Just a couple of pints of Blue Moon and your BAC can certainly be over the limit and impair your judgement. I fail to see why you are refusing to accept that. No No

Friends don't let friends drive drunk.

Friends don't hold friends to promises made while drunk.

End of story.

Well opinions are like noses- everyone has one.
                            This would make for an interesting court case nonetheless.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                              NY
                              United States
                              Member #121961
                              January 21, 2012
                              3157 Posts
                              Posted: February 20, 2014, 11:07 am - IP Logged

I promised to buy my friend a car but i did'nt say what kind. Big Grin Santa