Man wins $200,000 playing Pick 4

Feb 21, 2014, 9:44 pm (42 comments)

Iowa Lottery

Wiley Tuley is a lucky, lucky man.

The retired electronics technician from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, won $200,000 in Thursday's evening drawing of the Iowa Lottery's Pick 4 game.

Tuley actually won the game multiple times in the single drawing, which was why his prize was so large. He bought 14 tickets, with three plays per ticket. He played different combinations of the same four numbers — 1, 9, 4, 3, his birth year — for each of the plays. Those four numbers were all winners, which means he won a total of 42 times.

"In all the years I have worked at the lottery I don't recall anyone winning this many prizes totaling that amount in a Pick 4 drawing," Iowa Lottery spokesperson Mary Neubauer said.

Pick 4 players can spend different amounts to increase their odds of winning. For example, players can play "straight" or "box" — a "straight" ticket means the numbers the player picks must match in the exact order they are drawn. A more expensive ticket lets players match numbers in any order. There are also combinations of straight and box combinations to choose from.

Because of the way the game works, the odds of winning are greater than for many other Iowa Lottery games like Mega Millions or Powerball, Neubauer said, though the prizes are also smaller.

Tuley purchased seven of the winning tickets from Hy-Vee, 20 Wilson Ave. SW and then went across the street to purchase the other seven at Hy-Vee Gas, 2300 Bowling St. SW.

Tuley, 70, said his wife didn't believe him when he told her he'd won.

"Her jaw dropped," he said. "She said, 'You're kidding me.'"

He said he has a few ideas for how to spend his winnings but wants to keep them to himself for now. He said winning feels pretty good.

"It feels great, actually," he said.

Tuley has won the Pick 4 game twice before. In July 2009, he won $24,000 in one drawing, and he won twice in 2010, with a total of $9,125 in prizes from two drawings.

"It's one of the luckiest stories we've ever heard," Neubauer said.

The Gazette

Comments

Jon D's avatarJon D

Not too shabby! Cheers

Almost as good as that other Pick 4 stalwart:

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/262156

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

Congrats. Compared to the $425M PB jackpot...........yawn Bed

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I would buy a new car with that bread. Congrats Mr. Wiley Tuley. That's some amazing faith in your numbers. Very inspiring.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by Jon D on Feb 21, 2014

Not too shabby! Cheers

Almost as good as that other Pick 4 stalwart:

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/262156

It looks like a couple of serious players and not the same as a one time $40 on a hunch.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Feb 21, 2014

It looks like a couple of serious players and not the same as a one time $40 on a hunch.

Hunch or not, anyone spending that kind of money on a pick4 game is serious.

needinghelp's avatarneedinghelp

Congrats!!

onlymoney

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Feb 21, 2014

Most people won't see it that way. Sad.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Feb 21, 2014

Congrats. Compared to the $425M PB jackpot...........yawn Bed

It's an awful lot compared to what most of us won last week.

chrissy16

Sweet!

Shelby Mustang

Good Lord I wonder how much that cost him over the years? Pick 4 is everyday in my state so if he had been doing that everyday for years he might have just broke even LOL

sully16's avatarsully16

Great Job, hope he does it again!

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Congratulations Mr Wiley TuleyParty

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

Congrats to the lucky winner. I alwas play pick 4 numbers that start with 19XX. When they come the lottery pays out alot of money because people usually play their birth year or a family member birth year.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by Win$500Quick on Feb 22, 2014

Congrats to the lucky winner. I alwas play pick 4 numbers that start with 19XX. When they come the lottery pays out alot of money because people usually play their birth year or a family member birth year.

There ya go Win just lay down $20 on it when you know it is gonna be sure thangBanana

Candlelight777's avatarCandlelight777

Wow..congrats to Mr. Tuley Hurray!

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

3x a combo pick 4. thats some serious  wager, a standard apyout is 5000. and he won 40x that!

<div_prefs id="div_prefs">

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Feb 22, 2014

3x a combo pick 4. thats some serious  wager, a standard apyout is 5000. and he won 40x that!

<div_prefs id="div_prefs">

Iowa is a 60% payout pick 3/4 state.

He won 32 prizes of $6,000, two prizes of $3,000 and eight prizes of $250.

Those prize amounts suggest he wagered $41 on those 42 lines.

Gleno's avatarGleno

This is one incredible lottery winning. Does Iowa charge 50 cents for straight,box, and pairs? Don't play Pick-4 so inthe dark on how much those 14 tickets would have cost him. Congratulations to Mr. Wiley Tuley. That is one of my siblings birth year,1943. 

Coffee

FERG

Woooooooooooohoooooooooo congrats Mr. Wiley Tuley you are indeed blessed and enjoy.. Iam very very happy for you as if I had won lol congratsHyperPartyPartyPartyHurray!Smash

pickone4me's avatarpickone4me

That is a much better lottery win.  Congrats to the winner.  The PB california winner, not so much.

JonnyBgood07's avatarJonnyBgood07

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Feb 21, 2014

I Agree!..no doubt

seeemill

IF HE WON THAT KIND OF MONEY ONLINE WILL THEY PAY,,THATS THE BIG ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? i will love too know the answer

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulation Mr. Tuley Hurray!

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Feb 21, 2014

Yep and they decide how much they can win.

gra8*2win's avatargra8*2win

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Feb 22, 2014

They sure do.......Tennessee would never let that happen.........just this past week, on  a tennessee cash 4 morning draw 2980.........the payout was

872.00    .........the tennessee lottery will not give the number of winners..........i sure it would be embarassing.......

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Feb 22, 2014

Yep, that was a strange wager. He was definitely targeting that $200,000 prize amount.

Goteki54's avatarGoteki54

Wiley Tuley is a player's type of player!Cool Thumbs Up

RedStang's avatarRedStang

How did he win 200k playing different combinations. If i hit it straight 42 times i would only win 210k.

wwechampion

I've been playing daily 3 and daily 4 for years and I still can't figure out how everyone wins big money every time I lose every time I play can anyone help me give me your email if anyone has anything for me please thanks wweworldchampion81 yahoo

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Feb 22, 2014

How did he win 200k playing different combinations. If i hit it straight 42 times i would only win 210k.

I was puzzled by the $200k amount too, the numbers didn't seem to add up. So I searched and found a report showing the breakdown of his 42 wins, as I mentioned previously:

That's a very particular/peculiar wager, so he most definitely had a plan and intentions for that $200,000 total prize amount.

Quote: Originally posted by wwechampion on Feb 23, 2014

I've been playing daily 3 and daily 4 for years and I still can't figure out how everyone wins big money every time I lose every time I play can anyone help me give me your email if anyone has anything for me please thanks wweworldchampion81 yahoo

When they pick the numbers i like to shout Yes Yes Yes, Yes Yes Yes, Yes Yes Yes.

Quote: Originally posted by Jon D on Feb 23, 2014

I was puzzled by the $200k amount too, the numbers didn't seem to add up. So I searched and found a report showing the breakdown of his 42 wins, as I mentioned previously:

That's a very particular/peculiar wager, so he most definitely had a plan and intentions for that $200,000 total prize amount.

You're right. Just looked at Iowa and can't believe they pay 6k for straight.

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Feb 23, 2014

You're right. Just looked at Iowa and can't believe they pay 6k for straight.

Yeah, a bunch of states have 60% payout for pick 3/4 instead of the standard 50% payout. More states should follow.

I believe MA has the highest at 63% payout, but that's pari-mutuel so you can't do this trick of loading up on the duplicate wagers/numbers there.(or in the other pari-mutuel pick 3/4 states)

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by wwechampion on Feb 23, 2014

"I've been playing daily 3 and daily 4 for years and I still can't figure out how everyone wins big money......."

Your assumptions are incorrect, not everyone wins big money.  Winning big money is the exception not the norm or it wouldn't be news. Unhappy

MzDuffleBaglady's avatarMzDuffleBaglady

The same pick 4 number hit tonight, lol

Sun, Feb 23, 2014 0-3-1 1-7-3 0-5-8-6 3-9-4-1
Sat, Feb 22, 2014 5-4-1 1-7-2 6-9-3-8 7-0-2-9
Fri, Feb 21, 2014 8-0-9 5-5-8 4-0-8-2 3-1-1-3
Thu, Feb 20, 2014 9-9-7 1-2-8 3-1-4-5 1-9-4-3

Wondering if he played it back?

TNPATL

WOW!!!!!  good for him!!!!  Congratulations.

Gleno's avatarGleno

In N. J. the most you can wager on pick 4 per ticket is $5.00. Sounds like Iowa may have a higher wager amount per selection. Still find this story incredible, but hey, He won the $200K. Good for him. Jester Laugh

Get paid's avatarGet paid

Congrats Mr.tuley,love that game,Ive been playin 4 numbers for quite some time now won twice 200 bucks,never straight,an thats 5,000.Maybe I should used ur method.One dollar an a dream. LOL.

Jani Norman's avatarJani Norman

"WOW" awesome story................

MrLeRoy's avatarMrLeRoy

That's a lucky person right here, i wonder if he had a system or just used his intuition ?

Jon D's avatarJon D

Quote: Originally posted by MrLeRoy on Mar 1, 2014

That's a lucky person right here, i wonder if he had a system or just used his intuition ?

"He played different combinations of the same four numbers — 1, 9, 4, 3, his birth year — for each of the plays."

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Feb 23, 2014

When they pick the numbers i like to shout Yes Yes Yes, Yes Yes Yes, Yes Yes Yes.

So do I.

But I usually yell NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story