Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Power Play Number Almost Always 2 ?

Topic closed. 73 replies. Last post 3 years ago by JADELottery.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #153847
March 27, 2014
6 Posts
Posted: March 27, 2014, 7:07 am - IP Logged

Hi ... just joined LP today ... been reading for some time. I have been waiting for someone to make a comment about the PB Power Play number almost always being a "2". I don't usually play the extra dollar but for some reason I did for the whole month of March. Seems to be kind of a waste playing the extra dollar.

Is PB controlling that in someway or are there more 2s than 4s and 5s in the mix of numbers. Is each number from 1 to 5 equal in the draw or are there more 2s than any other number. I noticed this earlier ( a few years ago) with Mega Millions I think but it could have also been the PB ... the 2s always seem to be drawn much more than 4s or 5s.

Of course the states save money with the 2 being drawn but is this looking somewhat suspicious to anyone and is the extra dollar really worth it?

This month (March) with PB drawings, the 2 has has appeared 6 out of 8 draws and since PB has made the change back to the Power Play with 19 drawings so far, 2 has come out 12 times with 3 coming out 4 times ... 5 has only been out once. This doesn't seem right to me, something being controlled here or are there more 2s mixed in with the total numbers from 1 to 5. I am not sure about that and maybe someone here also finds this interesting and has a possible answer.

Thanks ... I don't think I will be playing the extra dollar on PB anymore, just on Mega Millions. 

Good luck to all ...

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5615 Posts
    Posted: March 27, 2014, 7:51 am - IP Logged

I have noticed that too. Looking at the odds there are more chances for "2" than the other powerplay numbers. I also don't pay the extra dollar, especially since the second prize payout would only be $2 million. Actually, the whole prize payout is out of wack on this game. Can't figure out what they were thinking when they made the changes.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
      u$a
      United States
      Member #106665
      February 22, 2011
      19908 Posts
      Posted: March 27, 2014, 8:11 am - IP Logged

Welcome CallahanSee Ya!and Good Luck to you

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
        Member #153847
        March 27, 2014
        6 Posts
        Posted: March 27, 2014, 11:05 am - IP Logged

That's what I can't seem to find out ... been searching around over the last few weeks to try and find out if there is just one number each for the 1 through 5 Power Play pick or are there a bunch of 2s and 3s over the 4s and 5s. I think it should be only one number for each number 1 - 5. If that is so then it might not be a fair draw ... especially since it is digital and moves so fast.

If there are more 2s in the mix then why would anyone play the extra dollar if your odds are much better at only having a 2 or 3 come out when most players are thinking 5 or 4 ... if a person would be lucky to have a hit in the first place. I haven't watched a PB drawing since the Power Play option started with the 2x to 5x but it used to be a very fast digital draw, if I remember ... I also think those five numbers should be colored ping pong balls bouncing around, not fast moving digital numbers.

Just my opinion ... I know the odds are fantastic with the new Mega Millions but their extra number seem to be more evenly random and to me ... $2 is a better deal than the PB $3 ... with a chance at 4 or 5 million ... again just my opinion.

Thanks for the greet ... helpmewin !

I found this on the Mega site about the new Power Play option.

What is the Power Play?

Power Play is a special feature that allows a winner to multiply the original prize amount.  Powerball players can multiply their Powerball prizes by 2, 3, 4 or 5 times (does not include the jackpot).

The Power Play multiplier number is chosen at random by computerized drawing immediately before the regular drawing of winning numbers takes place.

A player must choose the Power Play option when they buy their Powerball ticket, and then the ticket must match one of the 9 Ways to Win (except the jackpot) before the multiplier takes effect.  Power Play costs an extra $1 per play.

As a bonus, if Power Play is in effect for a ticket that wins the second prize of $200,000, the prize will be multiplied 5 times, regardless of the Power Play number selected for that drawing, for a total cash prize of $1 million.

.... still not sure but it sounds like there is only one number of each 1 - 5. Too many 2s showing up ... if sales are down and money reserves are low ... could they be playing around with the numbers???

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
          Happyland
          United States
          Member #146344
          September 1, 2013
          1129 Posts
          Posted: March 27, 2014, 11:21 am - IP Logged

Hi ... just joined LP today ... been reading for some time. I have been waiting for someone to make a comment about the PB Power Play number almost always being a "2". I don't usually play the extra dollar but for some reason I did for the whole month of March. Seems to be kind of a waste playing the extra dollar.

Is PB controlling that in someway or are there more 2s than 4s and 5s in the mix of numbers. Is each number from 1 to 5 equal in the draw or are there more 2s than any other number. I noticed this earlier ( a few years ago) with Mega Millions I think but it could have also been the PB ... the 2s always seem to be drawn much more than 4s or 5s.

Of course the states save money with the 2 being drawn but is this looking somewhat suspicious to anyone and is the extra dollar really worth it?

This month (March) with PB drawings, the 2 has has appeared 6 out of 8 draws and since PB has made the change back to the Power Play with 19 drawings so far, 2 has come out 12 times with 3 coming out 4 times ... 5 has only been out once. This doesn't seem right to me, something being controlled here or are there more 2s mixed in with the total numbers from 1 to 5. I am not sure about that and maybe someone here also finds this interesting and has a possible answer.

Thanks ... I don't think I will be playing the extra dollar on PB anymore, just on Mega Millions. 

Good luck to all ...

As you mentioned, it is RNG drawn. Neither the multipliers in Power Play or Megaplier have all-equal chances of occurring.

Power PlayProbability of Prize Increase
          5X1 in 10
          4X1 in 10
          3X1 in 3.33
          2X1 in 2

With odds of 1 in 2 for the 2X Power Play, it's no surprise that it is showing up so often. 

MegaplierProbability of Prize Increase
          5X6 in 15
          4X3 in 15
          3X4 in 15
          2X2 in 15

Megaplier is definitely the better deal. Recall that PB caps the 2nd prize at $2 million, whereas MM allows 2nd prize to go to $5 million.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

United States
            Member #153847
            March 27, 2014
            6 Posts
            Posted: March 27, 2014, 11:39 am - IP Logged

OK ... so there are more 2s and 3s knocking a person's chance that the extra dollar will probably be a smaller hit ... so the odds say. I rarely play the extra dollar so I never gave it much thought that there are more 2s and 3s in the mix and that my "hoping" for a 4 or 5 was slim to none or just slimmer.

I didn't see that information anywhere that you posted on the odds of the five numbers ... thanks for posting and also posting about the Mega Millions. So each of us can figure if the extra dollar is a good bet or not ... sure is good on the MM with a person having a chance at 4 or 5 million for an extra dollar.

thanks ...

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              Texas
              United States
              Member #55889
              October 23, 2007
              5615 Posts
              Posted: March 27, 2014, 11:47 am - IP Logged

As you mentioned, it is RNG drawn. Neither the multipliers in Power Play or Megaplier have all-equal chances of occurring.

Power PlayProbability of Prize Increase
              5X1 in 10
              4X1 in 10
              3X1 in 3.33
              2X1 in 2

With odds of 1 in 2 for the 2X Power Play, it's no surprise that it is showing up so often. 

MegaplierProbability of Prize Increase
              5X6 in 15
              4X3 in 15
              3X4 in 15
              2X2 in 15

Megaplier is definitely the better deal. Recall that PB caps the 2nd prize at $2 million, whereas MM allows 2nd prize to go to $5 million.

According to the MM "how to play" chart on Texas Lottery's website the odds for the megaplier are as follows:

2=1:7.5

3=1:3.75

4=1:5

5=1:2.5

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                Happyland
                United States
                Member #146344
                September 1, 2013
                1129 Posts
                Posted: March 27, 2014, 11:52 am - IP Logged

This info is in the official rules but it isn't publicized by most lotteries....they just want you to hear the potential multiplied amounts.

And yes, the odds on the lottery's charts are for "1 in ..."

2X = 15/2 = 7.5

3X = 15/4 = 3.75

4X = 15/3 = 5

5X = 15/6 = 2.5

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4110 Posts
                  Posted: March 27, 2014, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

Welcome Callahan- you also get " stars" for getting your feet wet in the forum.
                  Unfortunately for us, California wants nothing to do with that " extra dollar" you speak of.
                  Peace.

United States
                    Member #153847
                    March 27, 2014
                    6 Posts
                    Posted: March 27, 2014, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the greet noise-gate ... I didn't know CA didn't have the extra dollar. I normally don't play Powerball and Mega Millions all that much since all these new changes with higher odds. However, when March started I decided to play both games with the extra dollar for the whole month ... so I have these tickets and have won nothing to date ... still have Fri and Sat ... but I started to notice all the 2s coming out this month for the Power Play option. If I hadn't already spent the money I would have dropped the extra dollar last week. It doesn't seem to be a worthy investment, especially with the one million top prize staying at one million.

I have decided to probably go with the MM from now on with the extra dollar ... if Lady Luck drops out of the sky, well you know the rest!

GLTA ...

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                      Massachusetts
                      United States
                      Member #37433
                      April 14, 2006
                      2747 Posts
                      Posted: March 27, 2014, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Interesting observation. The MP for MM is all over the place but the PP seems stuck at 2.

That money's gone fo ever

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: March 27, 2014, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

At $3 a line with Power Play, they oughta get rid of a couple of those 2 balls in the mix.

Especially since PP doesn't affect the 2nd prize.

All these 2's are startin' to piss me off.

temptustoo's avatar - cat anm.gif
                          usa
                          United States
                          Member #89197
                          April 2, 2010
                          2817 Posts
                          Posted: March 27, 2014, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

just start playing the 2 's ... better than being pissed on.......... No Pity!unless u like that sort of thing...

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: March 27, 2014, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

just start playing the 2 's ... better than being pissed on.......... No Pity!unless u like that sort of thing...

You can't play the multiplier picks.  Crazy

United States
                              Member #153847
                              March 27, 2014
                              6 Posts
                              Posted: March 27, 2014, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

Thanks rdgrnr, I was getting ready to reply as you did but I wasn't sure if temptustoo didn't know or was joking around. It's all random and digital and if dollars are scarce with the jackpots not growing very large, as many people wait for a larger jackpot before they start buying tickets ... might they manipulate the lower numbers (2 and 3) to hit more often?

I don't know ... that's the only part of the PB drawing that "could" be messed with since the other numbers are balls bouncing around in full view. I don't know why they don't have those four PPlay numbers bouncing around also. It would only be a second or two for a 2, 3, 4, 5 number to appear.