Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 8:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

According to my retailer there is a new national lottery game coming

Topic closed. 54 replies. Last post 3 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4146 Posts
Posted: June 22, 2014, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

Just explain the game to me in 10 words or less.  I'm not going to read a whole bunch of paragraphs

Correct.  I don't need a manuscript to explain the rules. 

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5770 Posts
    Posted: June 22, 2014, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

The main gist is that people are crying for a game that will pay a million dollars to a lot of people instead of one person winning a huge jackpot. So, this game is designed to do that along with a game show on tv that will air sometime in 2015.

I'm not sure I want to drop $5 on something like this. I'm not opposed to playing $5 or $10 on a draw, but I am selective when I do. Personally I'm not too interested in being on a game show on tv either, but I imagine there are a lot of people who would be.

I don't know...I kinda like the idea of having a shot at hundreds of millions of dollars. I never really believed in the "spread the wealth" noise. We have smaller games like Texas 2 Step, Cash 5, and the state lotto games for those that like the smaller games and smaller jackpots.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4146 Posts
      Posted: June 22, 2014, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

The main gist is that people are crying for a game that will pay a million dollars to a lot of people instead of one person winning a huge jackpot. So, this game is designed to do that along with a game show on tv that will air sometime in 2015.

I'm not sure I want to drop $5 on something like this. I'm not opposed to playing $5 or $10 on a draw, but I am selective when I do. Personally I'm not too interested in being on a game show on tv either, but I imagine there are a lot of people who would be.

I don't know...I kinda like the idea of having a shot at hundreds of millions of dollars. I never really believed in the "spread the wealth" noise. We have smaller games like Texas 2 Step, Cash 5, and the state lotto games for those that like the smaller games and smaller jackpots.

Winning Millions of $$$ - very cool rcbbuckeye- going on tv- not cool, at least not for me.

Out here in California, we have a $20.00 scratcher game and the odds are as follow.

Top prize is $5 mil (total 14)- odds 1-2,400,000, as of now  8 of those have been claimed, 6 remain, then the next line down is $100,000 ( total 56) so far 33 have been won & 23 are still out there..Is it worth $20 a pop?- l don't know.

morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
        Member #154519
        April 19, 2014
        246 Posts
        Posted: June 22, 2014, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

I'm camera shy so yeah I won't be playing this stupid game

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
          Happyland
          United States
          Member #146344
          September 1, 2013
          1131 Posts
          Posted: June 22, 2014, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

I'm camera shy so yeah I won't be playing this stupid game

lol....the game show entries aren't automatic....those who want to participate can enter their tickets and those who don't can throw them in the trash.

Probably one of the unique aspects of this game aside from the "many millionaires" is the fact that there are guaranteed winners. There are PB and MM drawings where there are no second prize winners at all. With this game, they are guaranteeing that out of the pool of sold tickets there will be million dollar winners. So a raffle/scratch-off element in addition to a rolling jackpot...albeit one that doesn't roll very far.

"Will it be worth $5?" Only time will tell how many players get high entertainment value from this game. The Monopoly branding will likely attract many. Personally, I just look at the math, and ~50% payout on a $5 ticket isn't something to swoon at. There are $5 tickets in my state with 68% payout and though they won't make you a millionaire, overall they are still the "better" bets.

If the Monopoly jackpot was capped at say, at least $100 million, then I might change my tune.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
            Member #154519
            April 19, 2014
            246 Posts
            Posted: June 22, 2014, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

I guess I'll play the game once and see if I can figure out the rules.  If they tell me that I need to be on TV to win a million, I'll tell them to kiss my snip.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #129225
              June 13, 2012
              546 Posts
              Posted: June 23, 2014, 7:30 am - IP Logged

lol....the game show entries aren't automatic....those who want to participate can enter their tickets and those who don't can throw them in the trash.

Probably one of the unique aspects of this game aside from the "many millionaires" is the fact that there are guaranteed winners. There are PB and MM drawings where there are no second prize winners at all. With this game, they are guaranteeing that out of the pool of sold tickets there will be million dollar winners. So a raffle/scratch-off element in addition to a rolling jackpot...albeit one that doesn't roll very far.

"Will it be worth $5?" Only time will tell how many players get high entertainment value from this game. The Monopoly branding will likely attract many. Personally, I just look at the math, and ~50% payout on a $5 ticket isn't something to swoon at. There are $5 tickets in my state with 68% payout and though they won't make you a millionaire, overall they are still the "better" bets.

If the Monopoly jackpot was capped at say, at least $100 million, then I might change my tune.

Thanks for all the additional information.  This game is starting to sound more intriguing it will be interesting to see.

Happyland
                United States
                Member #146344
                September 1, 2013
                1131 Posts
                Posted: June 23, 2014, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for all the additional information.  This game is starting to sound more intriguing it will be interesting to see.

I just heard some very disturbing news, compliments of the South Dakota Lottery.

• The Monopoly Millionaires' Club jackpot is going to be capped at $25 million Skeptical
                • Jackpot amount is annuitized Puke

Now, let me start by saying the previous jackpot cap I mentioned ($50 million) was published in the lottery "standard" magazine less than a month ago. Other sources agreed with this figure. The "lump sum" thing came straight from a lottery director. So this is pretty blindsiding to say the least.

The ONLY reason I can think of capping the jackpot this low is so as to not detract attention from Mega Millions and Powerball. Or maybe they surveyed players and discovered that fewer than anticipated would be interested, hence lowering sales' estimates. (That or someone in the MUSL states has gone bipolar with greed. I am definitely contacting my lottery director about this!)

Otherwise, let's state the obvious: this is stupid. Starting jackpot at $15 million and rolling to $25 million.....that's a whopping......3 rolls to hit the cap. What's the point of having a rolling jackpot then? At least with starting at $25 million and going to $50 million, you have 6 potential rolls. I know I know, they will say you play for the $1 million prizes. But if that's the case why bother having a jackpot?

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

Happyland
                  United States
                  Member #146344
                  September 1, 2013
                  1131 Posts
                  Posted: June 23, 2014, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Finally, the matrix! I got ahold of it sooner than I expected and those of you who subscribe to other lottery sites may have already seen it. Most likely it will start trickling into press release(s) of one of the larger state lotteries this weekend. I thought I would go ahead and post it along with some additions.

My initial confusion with the 5/52 + 1/28 was previously resolved based on a pamphlet I read, which showed a sample ticket and playslip. What I read today actually corrects this. It turns out that both 5/52 and 1/28 are numbered matrices; however, 1/28 represents a property. I erroneously posted that the ticket would look like "01-02-03-04-05 + Park Place" and while this is technically true, more than likely the ticket will simply have a numbered representation of the property rather than/in addition to the title of the piece itself. Just thought I would clear that up. The 1/28 isn't going to be on the playslip so not something to dabble about. That being said, this game indeed will be quite complex for some players, which could be a bad thing.

As of the latest information, the number of guaranteed $1 million prizes will start at 10. This will increase with each roll based on sales in the prize pool. The jackpot is paid in 30 graduated payments (annuity option), but all the other prizes are lump sum only (including Club prizes). Now, what's interesting is that the Club prizes share the same tier as the Jackpot (!), but this makes sense given the Club prizes are only awarded when a jackpot is won. I think it's strange to be generalized based on jackpot odds though, since the individual odds of winning a Club prize will vary by the number of players and prizes.

See below for odds and pool shares. The matrix came from the lottery so I haven't checked the odds but it looks correct.

Tier5/52 Matches1/28 MatchesPrizeOddsProbabilityEst. EV% of Sales% of Prize Pool
                  151Jackpot/Club Prize72,770,880.000.0000000137  $0.21+32.22%64.43%
                  250$100,0002,695,217.780.0000003710$0.040.74%1.48%
                  341$20,000309,663.320.0000032293$0.061.29%2.58%
                  440$50011,469.010.0000871915$0.040.87%1.74%
                  531$2506,731.810.0001485485$0.040.74%1.49%
                  621$25448.790.0022282136$0.061.11%2.23%
                  730$20249.330.0040107488$0.081.60%3.21%
                  811$1081.600.0122549020$0.122.45%4.90%
                  901$747.440.0210792580$0.152.95%5.90%
                  1020$516.610.0602046960$0.306.02%12.03%
                  ---Overall10.000.1000171724  $1.10+50.00%100.00%

Keep in mind that the EV calculation is very rough....it will be higher due to Club prizes and second-chance opportunities. It's just a good starting point and most people here don't care about it anyway. Big Grin The document I saw also had more info about the TV game show but I won't bother to regurgitate it here. Bottom line is that entries are based on values of the 10 Monopoly property groups, and there is no cash option to take instead of going on the show.

My initial impressions.......the prize distribution is OK considering the lousy payout and in some respects is better than other national games. Unfortunately, only 17.78% of sales go towards fixed prizes, which means over time the average player will lose over 80% of their $5 wager. Eek I can understand such a rake on a $1 or $2 game, but for $5/ticket I imagine that players will expect more.

Monopoly Millionaires' Club and its separate Club Prizes drawings will use random number generators.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                    Los Angeles, California
                    United States
                    Member #149492
                    December 2, 2013
                    919 Posts
                    Posted: June 23, 2014, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

How do you win the secondary $1 million prize?  Is it a drawing of everyone that bought a ticket during a draw in which they have a 5+1 winner?

Happyland
                      United States
                      Member #146344
                      September 1, 2013
                      1131 Posts
                      Posted: June 23, 2014, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

How do you win the secondary $1 million prize?  Is it a drawing of everyone that bought a ticket during a draw in which they have a 5+1 winner?

That's what I read in an article (different magazine), but the rules do not explicitly say. It only says that every ticket played in the jackpot-winning drawing is eligible, and that a separate drawing will be conducted. Thinking about it logically, if they have 10 Club prizes to give away, then in order for them to give them all away they would have to choose from the pool of existing tickets rather than via genuine number picking. The rules do say that each ticket will be incremented with a unique transactional number that will be used for the Club prize drawing.

One thing is for sure, it is quite confusing having the prize on the same tier as the jackpot. I can only imagine a retailer having to explain it to players. Green laugh

I am surprised they are going the route of RNG for the main drawing.....it makes sense for the bonus draw if they are using the pool of tickets but wow.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7345 Posts
                        Posted: June 23, 2014, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

The game is based on Lotto Max and they have a second drawing when nobody wins the $50 million jackpot so I'm assuming the rules for this game will be similar. Hopefully before the game starts, MUSL will clarify the playing rules.

Happyland
                          United States
                          Member #146344
                          September 1, 2013
                          1131 Posts
                          Posted: June 23, 2014, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

The game is based on Lotto Max and they have a second drawing when nobody wins the $50 million jackpot so I'm assuming the rules for this game will be similar. Hopefully before the game starts, MUSL will clarify the playing rules.

In this case, the second drawing occurs only if the jackpot is won. I agree, clarification is needed, and I hope they put together a thorough demonstration.

I crunched some numbers based on one of the larger state's projected Monopoly sales. Using this to gauge estimates for the other participating states, it is possible that the game could roll many times without a jackpot winner. This is what worries me about the low jackpot cap. High jackpots fuel higher sales, so if you have low jackpots you will have low sales....which in turn increases the time between wins. Players could get bored quickly. It doesn't do any good to have dozens of Club prizes if nobody is playing because of the weeny jackpot. How many retailers advertise second prizes? Like I said before, why bother with a jackpot if it's going to play such an insignificant role. (Let it be known if not already obvious: I wasn't asked to be on the subcommittee LOL)

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
                            NEW YORK
                            United States
                            Member #90535
                            April 29, 2010
                            12118 Posts
                            Posted: June 24, 2014, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

What about the National lottery game?

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
                              NEW YORK
                              United States
                              Member #90535
                              April 29, 2010
                              12118 Posts
                              Posted: June 24, 2014, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

Lottery players will be playing less often at $5 per ticket. It did not happen with Powerball at $2 ticket cost though.