Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Playing The Lottery Less Often Is The Best Strategy To Win A Lottery Jackpot Someday.

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 2 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
11978 Posts
Posted: October 3, 2014, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

$5 lottery draw games are coming for your savings.

The new $5 national lottery game starting this month is the beginning.

It will cost you money to play the lottery more often.

South Carolina
    United States
    Member #18322
    July 9, 2005
    1704 Posts
    Posted: October 3, 2014, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

What is this new $5 lottery game supposed to be about ???

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #149492
      December 2, 2013
      919 Posts
      Posted: October 4, 2014, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

What is this new $5 lottery game supposed to be about ???

It's a game based on Monopoly.

http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/lottery/Documents/mmc_announcement.pdf

I think it's a lame game.  I don't see it on our California Lottery website, so we probably won't get it for a while.  They're probably taking a wait and see stance.

South Carolina
        United States
        Member #18322
        July 9, 2005
        1704 Posts
        Posted: October 4, 2014, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

It's a game based on Monopoly.

http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/lottery/Documents/mmc_announcement.pdf

I think it's a lame game.  I don't see it on our California Lottery website, so we probably won't get it for a while.  They're probably taking a wait and see stance.

You're right.  This does NOT sound like a wise investment of $$$ for a "lottery" game.

If I am reading this correctly, you pick 5/52 numbers, but The Monopoly property 1/28 number [which is like the "Power Ball" of this game] is a Quick Pick Only and will automatically generate on the ticket at purchase.  This means that the computer always picks your power number. You cannot pick your own power number, and therefore you will not win the jackpot unless the computer picks the right power number. Each play  costs $5, so wheeling would be cost prohibitive, i.e. too expensive !!!

RIDICULOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4107 Posts
          Posted: October 4, 2014, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

You're right.  This does NOT sound like a wise investment of $$$ for a "lottery" game.

If I am reading this correctly, you pick 5/52 numbers, but The Monopoly property 1/28 number [which is like the "Power Ball" of this game] is a Quick Pick Only and will automatically generate on the ticket at purchase.  This means that the computer always picks your power number. You cannot pick your own power number, and therefore you will not win the jackpot unless the computer picks the right power number. Each play  costs $5, so wheeling would be cost prohibitive, i.e. too expensive !!!

Are you saying that humans are certain to  pick the " right power #" before a computer does?

State your Source...

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
            Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1129 Posts
            Posted: October 4, 2014, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

The computer chooses from the same set of numbers as a human. Winning is still matter of pure luck...regardless how the numbers are chosen or who does the choosing. You can still wheel, it would just take more tickets to cover all the bonus balls. Most people wheel the main set. This isn't really the ideal game though because like you said it is cost prohibitive. This game is more of the buy one and done type, so not being able to wheel as effectively is not much concern.

As far as the game being a good value, because the jackpot is capped so low, it really isn't the best bang for the buck. You would need over 200 Club prizes for it to be worthwhile. The odds of winning one of the $1 million prizes depend on sales so it can vary pretty widely. With the starting 10 prizes, even if they only sold 1 ticket, the odds would be about 1 in 7.3 million (36 million dollar-for-dollar), and it only gets worse with more tickets.

Mrcraft,

According to California lottery commission, you should be seeing MMC next spring. They think it will bring the state $160 million in net annual sales, so we'll see.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
            P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
              u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19790 Posts
              Posted: October 5, 2014, 5:00 am - IP Logged

How is Playing The Lottery Less Often The Best Strategy to Winning

Let it Snow Snowman

NEW YORK
                United States
                Member #90535
                April 29, 2010
                11978 Posts
                Posted: October 5, 2014, 8:09 am - IP Logged

How is Playing The Lottery Less Often The Best Strategy to Winning

"I've done the math on hitting a lottery jackpot, and here is the truth:

You could buy 50 tickets per week for the next 70 years of your life, and you STILL would have, by any practical measure, ZERO chance of ever hitting the jackpot.

"By any practical measure" - what do I mean by that? Well, in the case of the PowerBall, it would take you almost 1,000 lifetimes of that sort of excessive waste just to expect to hit the jackpot once. It's simply never going to happen.

Here are a few more things to keep in mind if you feel yourself getting addicted to these tickets:

The lottery only pays back about 50 cents for every dollar it collects. So for every $100,000 it collects in ticket sales, only about $50,000 will be put aside for winning tickets. By the way, this has absolutely nothing to do with taxes. People who win bigger prizes will then also have to pay taxes.

At a 50% payback rate, no other standard form of gambling on the planet comes even close to being as bad a bet. The lottery is truly a TAX on the poor and on the ignorant.

Here's one more thing I'll tell you before I say how much I buy lottery tickets: Over 70 BILLION dollars is p*ssed down the drain each year on lottery tickets in the USA alone! That is more money spent than on the entire movie and music industries combined! It is a travesty that we should waste so much money when our economy is hurting so badly. If everyone spent the dollars they waste on the lottery on buying something at a store, this country would be lifted out of this slump much, much quicker.

I used to spend TONS of money on lottery tickets. I had my own Lotto numbers, and because I had my own, I felt compelled to play them every drawing. I thought, "What if I don't play MY numbers and they hit tonight?!?" Guess what? They never hit. I quit playing the lottery over 15 years ago. Had I continued to play, "my" numbers would have won the very smallest 2-dollar prize about 6 times in all these years. I've saved TONS of money by quitting!

Do I ever play? Yes, I do. Once in a while, when the big games get up over 200 or 300 million dollars, I'll buy just ONE ticket. For the price of 1 ticket once in a while, it's worth it to give me that dream of "hitting it big". Any more spent than that is a total waste of money.

Put it this way - if it's you're destiny to win the lottery, then you will win it whether you buy 1 ticket per month or if you buy hundreds of tickets per week. Just buy 1 ticket once in a great while. If you were meant to win the lottery, you'll win it with that 1 ticket. If not, you won't. By PDQ

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                  Upacreek
                  United States
                  Member #136306
                  December 8, 2012
                  428 Posts
                  Posted: October 5, 2014, 8:17 am - IP Logged

Thrifty... on a mission from god to save us from those devils at the lottery LOL

-RC

NEW YORK
                    United States
                    Member #90535
                    April 29, 2010
                    11978 Posts
                    Posted: October 5, 2014, 8:24 am - IP Logged

Thrifty... on a mission from god to save us from those devils at the lottery LOL

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY - IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                      TX
                      United States
                      Member #121193
                      January 4, 2012
                      1637 Posts
                      Posted: October 5, 2014, 11:34 am - IP Logged

"I've done the math on hitting a lottery jackpot, and here is the truth:

You could buy 50 tickets per week for the next 70 years of your life, and you STILL would have, by any practical measure, ZERO chance of ever hitting the jackpot.

"By any practical measure" - what do I mean by that? Well, in the case of the PowerBall, it would take you almost 1,000 lifetimes of that sort of excessive waste just to expect to hit the jackpot once. It's simply never going to happen.

Here are a few more things to keep in mind if you feel yourself getting addicted to these tickets:

The lottery only pays back about 50 cents for every dollar it collects. So for every $100,000 it collects in ticket sales, only about $50,000 will be put aside for winning tickets. By the way, this has absolutely nothing to do with taxes. People who win bigger prizes will then also have to pay taxes.

At a 50% payback rate, no other standard form of gambling on the planet comes even close to being as bad a bet. The lottery is truly a TAX on the poor and on the ignorant.

Here's one more thing I'll tell you before I say how much I buy lottery tickets: Over 70 BILLION dollars is p*ssed down the drain each year on lottery tickets in the USA alone! That is more money spent than on the entire movie and music industries combined! It is a travesty that we should waste so much money when our economy is hurting so badly. If everyone spent the dollars they waste on the lottery on buying something at a store, this country would be lifted out of this slump much, much quicker.

I used to spend TONS of money on lottery tickets. I had my own Lotto numbers, and because I had my own, I felt compelled to play them every drawing. I thought, "What if I don't play MY numbers and they hit tonight?!?" Guess what? They never hit. I quit playing the lottery over 15 years ago. Had I continued to play, "my" numbers would have won the very smallest 2-dollar prize about 6 times in all these years. I've saved TONS of money by quitting!

Do I ever play? Yes, I do. Once in a while, when the big games get up over 200 or 300 million dollars, I'll buy just ONE ticket. For the price of 1 ticket once in a while, it's worth it to give me that dream of "hitting it big". Any more spent than that is a total waste of money.

Put it this way - if it's you're destiny to win the lottery, then you will win it whether you buy 1 ticket per month or if you buy hundreds of tickets per week. Just buy 1 ticket once in a great while. If you were meant to win the lottery, you'll win it with that 1 ticket. If not, you won't. By PDQ

Theres always a chance to win the lottery..SMALL but always a chance versus as you put it"ZERO chance of hitting the jackpot"............
                      Lets seeeee, if I spend $1 for MM and $2 for PB 2 times a week that comes out to $6.00 a week.... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I do that for 52 weeks... soooo 6 x 52 = $312.00 a year......so if my math is correct and we have 365 days a year...that equates to just under .86 a day

What can I buy with 86 CENTS a day ?

coffee-nope that a buck plus...Gum- maybe... candy bar- maybe, Banana- sure, Soda-gonna say no on that one,
                      Lunch ? nope not even off the dollar menu at McGarbage......lemme think on this one for a bit.....

Let me try this on..water bill was $51 and change last month, so I am spending roughly $1.75 a day for washing hands, washing body and weeweeing. Maybe I could shorten my showers buy getting wet, turning the shower off,soaping up and then turning on the water to rinse off ? That will save me money by "crackie" !!!

I know, I can cut back on my spending on cable and the i-phone bills by reducing those options that I have, that will save me at least $100.00 a month...jeesh, by that thinking I could save $1200 a year !!!!...oh crap, that means the businesses I spend that money at are going to suffer too (I wonder how that is gonna work on lifting the country"out of this slump much faster" )

Over 70 Billion being tinkled down the drain, etc etc when our economy is gurting so badly ??? Got some bad news on that issue, Good ole Uncle Sam is spending between 15 and 20 times that amount EACH YEAR. I would agree on 70 Billion helping "much quicker" if it was 100-250 billion for debt..but it's not...70 Billion is between 5-7% of the debt and I have a very hard time in seeing that figure contributing to "much faster". Now 70 Billion, is divided by the Population (330 million roughly) turns out to be $212 for every one or roughly 58 CENTS a day(granted I am including children and people who don't play or arent able to physically purchase lotto tickets) so let me estimate that half the population out and double that figure to $1.16 a day or reduce it by 2/3rds even triple it to $1.74 a day, for the regular lotto player . Roughly estimating of 86 cents a day for lottery or spending $1.74 a day on buying something....Remember these figures are not exact and there are many more factors provided the 70 Billion is is only spent on MM & PB, not state lottos and scratch offs or other games

My point is with all this silly rambling is this....Everyone's life is their own when it comes to being an adult..and if a MEASELY 86 CENTS a day makes you happy and gives you a chance at millions, then why not give it a shot, after all, it is YOUR MONEY. If my silly 86 CENTS helps create lottery jobs/provide lotto supplies/ goes to education etc etc, then by Goodness count me in as a willing participant. Who knows, may maybe God wants me to win and do good things with it??Blue Angel Dont wanna let him down do I ??<---- comment was for the believers

There will always be the Thrifty's of the world, who expound on negativity and astronomical odds against something and he has that right.....You have to be your own boss in this case,,,, should you/I go against the odds and chance it 4 times a week?? <shoulder shrug> I am voting for yes .. BTW, While I appreciate Thifty's input and personal experience greatly..I just happen to disagree with view
                      ...Don't worry Thriftmeister, I have already told you how you know if I am a big jackpot winner Thumbs Up

Stay Positive my friends and fellow posters, perhaps the next drawing is meant for you orrrrrrrrr ME !!!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #55889
                        October 23, 2007
                        5595 Posts
                        Posted: October 5, 2014, 11:46 am - IP Logged

Theres always a chance to win the lottery..SMALL but always a chance versus as you put it"ZERO chance of hitting the jackpot"............
                        Lets seeeee, if I spend $1 for MM and $2 for PB 2 times a week that comes out to $6.00 a week.... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I do that for 52 weeks... soooo 6 x 52 = $312.00 a year......so if my math is correct and we have 365 days a year...that equates to just under .86 a day

coffee-nope that a buck plus...Gum- maybe... candy bar- maybe, Banana- sure, Soda-gonna say no on that one,
                        Lunch ? nope not even off the dollar menu at McGarbage......lemme think on this one for a bit.....

Let me try this on..water bill was $51 and change last month, so I am spending roughly $1.75 a day for washing hands, washing body and weeweeing. Maybe I could shorten my showers buy getting wet, turning the shower off,soaping up and then turning on the water to rinse off ? That will save me money by "crackie" !!!

I know, I can cut back on my spending on cable and the i-phone bills by reducing those options that I have, that will save me at least $100.00 a month...jeesh, by that thinking I could save $1200 a year !!!!...oh crap, that means the businesses I spend that money at are going to suffer too (I wonder how that is gonna work on lifting the country"out of this slump much faster" )

Over 70 Billion being tinkled down the drain, etc etc when our economy is gurting so badly ??? Got some bad news on that issue, Good ole Uncle Sam is spending between 15 and 20 times that amount EACH YEAR. I would agree on 70 Billion helping "much quicker" if it was 100-250 billion for debt..but it's not...70 Billion is between 5-7% of the debt and I have a very hard time in seeing that figure contributing to "much faster". Now 70 Billion, is divided by the Population (330 million roughly) turns out to be $212 for every one or roughly 58 CENTS a day(granted I am including children and people who don't play or arent able to physically purchase lotto tickets) so let me estimate that half the population out and double that figure to $1.16 a day or reduce it by 2/3rds even triple it to $1.74 a day, for the regular lotto player . Roughly estimating of 86 cents a day for lottery or spending $1.74 a day on buying something....Remember these figures are not exact and there are many more factors provided the 70 Billion is is only spent on MM & PB, not state lottos and scratch offs or other games

My point is with all this silly rambling is this....Everyone's life is their own when it comes to being an adult..and if a MEASELY 86 CENTS a day makes you happy and gives you a chance at millions, then why not give it a shot, after all, it is YOUR MONEY. If my silly 86 CENTS helps create lottery jobs/provide lotto supplies/ goes to education etc etc, then by Goodness count me in as a willing participant. Who knows, may maybe God wants me to win and do good things with it??Blue Angel Dont wanna let him down do I ??<---- comment was for the believers

There will always be the Thrifty's of the world, who expound on negativity and astronomical odds against something and he has that right.....You have to be your own boss in this case,,,, should you/I go against the odds and chance it 4 times a week?? <shoulder shrug> I am voting for yes .. BTW, While I appreciate Thifty's input and personal experience greatly..I just happen to disagree with view
                        ...Don't worry Thriftmeister, I have already told you how you know if I am a big jackpot winner Thumbs Up

Stay Positive my friends and fellow posters, perhaps the next drawing is meant for you orrrrrrrrr ME !!!

CDanaT,

As I have always said to the naysayers,

Where else can you spend a buck and have a chance, even a very small chance at millions?

It is an absolute guarantee that if you don't spend a buck, you will not win, period. If you spend a buck, you are in the game.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                          TX
                          United States
                          Member #121193
                          January 4, 2012
                          1637 Posts
                          Posted: October 5, 2014, 11:49 am - IP Logged

CDanaT,

Where else can you spend a buck and have a chance, even a very small chance at millions?

It is an absolute guarantee that if you don't spend a buck, you will not win, period. If you spend a buck, you are in the game.

I concur......... already spent my next buck on Tuesday !!!!  Patriot

NEW YORK
                            United States
                            Member #90535
                            April 29, 2010
                            11978 Posts
                            Posted: October 5, 2014, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

You are better off spending $312 in one lottery drawing and not playing again until next year. Who is going to compensate you for the time spent buying those lottery tickets?

NEW YORK
                              United States
                              Member #90535
                              April 29, 2010
                              11978 Posts
                              Posted: October 5, 2014, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

CDanaT,

You can only win the lottery in the short run. It is the reason why Powerball increased the ticket cost at $2 for a single line. You will be spending $5 for a single line soon.