Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Playing The Lottery Less Often Is The Best Strategy To Win A Lottery Jackpot Someday.

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 2 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
11983 Posts
Posted: October 21, 2014, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

It's called making a profit. If a business doesn't make a profit, there's no point in being in business.

In my business, a store has to make at minimum a 40% mark, or there is not enough profit to pay the help, pay the bills and still keep the doors open. Really, a 50% mark is where we have to be to be financially healthy.

It's not charity. Profit is not a dirty word.

HOW TO WIN THE LOTTERY BY NOT PLAYING=SAVE YOUR MONEY TO PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY.

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY - IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

STEP 1. PLAY THE LOTTERY.

STEP 2. THINK AND GROW RICH.

STEP 3. WIN THE LOTTERY JACKPOT.

ALL YOU NEED IS 1 LOTTERY TICKET AND A DREAM?

WINNING THE LOTTERY IS A MIND GAME.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7322 Posts
    Posted: October 22, 2014, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

It's called making a profit. If a business doesn't make a profit, there's no point in being in business.

In my business, a store has to make at minimum a 40% mark, or there is not enough profit to pay the help, pay the bills and still keep the doors open. Really, a 50% mark is where we have to be to be financially healthy.

It's not charity. Profit is not a dirty word.

Most lottery games with 60% payouts usually have a "free ticket" prize or pay the cost of the ticket knowing players will probably buy another ticket. That's why scratch-offs have high percentage payoffs and MM and now the Monopoly game have those prizes. At the end of the year it will show the Monopoly game paid out 60% in prizes, but that's including a possible $21,403,200 in "cost of a ticket" prizes for matching 2 numbers for every 72.7 million tickets sold.

I agree lotteries are in business to make profits, but considering 98.5% of the Monopoly game prizes are $25 and under, the profit is going to be much more than the 40% they are claiming.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
      NY
      United States
      Member #121961
      January 21, 2012
      3157 Posts
      Posted: October 23, 2014, 12:59 am - IP Logged

THE LOTTERY IS IN BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY.

THE LOTTERY PICKS THE WINNERS AND LOSERS FOR EVERY LOTTERY GAME.

LOTTERY GAMES ARE NOT RANDOM.

THE LOTTERY PICKS THE WINNERS AND LOSERS FOR EVERY LOTTERY GAME

It sure seems like it. How do millions of people play and their numbers are always off by 1 digit.

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
        NYC
        United States
        Member #117984
        October 19, 2011
        1843 Posts
        Posted: October 23, 2014, 2:06 am - IP Logged

Problem with mankind, he sets limitations on himself, agreeing with impossible. 

Impossible is not apart of my vocabulary. 

All of you, who wish to influence with the word impossible, won't work. (on me especially) 

I believe in everything truly possible because I'm ready to accept it. 

I am the captain of my fate, I am not influenced by impossible. Impossible is a fear to all (but me). 

Be your own leader, lighten up your room with light from dark, and refuse the impossible.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7322 Posts
          Posted: October 23, 2014, 10:59 am - IP Logged

THE LOTTERY PICKS THE WINNERS AND LOSERS FOR EVERY LOTTERY GAME

It sure seems like it. How do millions of people play and their numbers are always off by 1 digit.

There are pick-3 wheels guaranteed to match 2 digits when all three digits are different that only uses eight lines and players can expect a 2 digit match in at least 72% of the drawings. The lotteries borrowed a game that was mathematically designed to give players lots of 2 digit matches so they would keep on playing. By offering the box bet, some players believed they were 1 off on straight bets when the last digit misses.

Games like MM and PB offer huge jackpots to keep them playing and found creative ways to make the real jackpot look even bigger. The smallest payoff games are designed so players are "close" in almost every drawing and we all know what happens when MM or PB jackpots get to be around $400 million. When the jackpots are that high, players justify getting some of the 169,442,196 MM combinations that won't match a single number or the bonus number.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19831 Posts
            Posted: October 23, 2014, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

There are pick-3 wheels guaranteed to match 2 digits when all three digits are different that only uses eight lines and players can expect a 2 digit match in at least 72% of the drawings. The lotteries borrowed a game that was mathematically designed to give players lots of 2 digit matches so they would keep on playing. By offering the box bet, some players believed they were 1 off on straight bets when the last digit misses.

Games like MM and PB offer huge jackpots to keep them playing and found creative ways to make the real jackpot look even bigger. The smallest payoff games are designed so players are "close" in almost every drawing and we all know what happens when MM or PB jackpots get to be around $400 million. When the jackpots are that high, players justify getting some of the 169,442,196 MM combinations that won't match a single number or the bonus number.

* 169,442,196 MM combinations that won't match a single number or the bonus number

* My calculator shows there are 258,890,850 possible MM combinations and 17,602,404 can win something which means 241,288,446 will win nothing.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

London
              United Kingdom
              Member #140684
              March 24, 2013
              566 Posts
              Posted: October 23, 2014, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

Looks interesting, I personally wouldn't play it.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7322 Posts
                Posted: October 23, 2014, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

* 169,442,196 MM combinations that won't match a single number or the bonus number

* My calculator shows there are 258,890,850 possible MM combinations and 17,602,404 can win something which means 241,288,446 will win nothing.

Let's see where I made a mistake. There are 70 numbers that can't be drawn and those numbers create 12,103,014 five number combinations. There are 14 bonus numbers that won't be drawn making 169,442,196 combos when multiplied by 14 that won't match a single number.

The overall odds are 1:14.71 of winning something and that is about 6.8% of all the combos which is probably the number you used to calculate. I only included the tickets matching zero numbers without matching the bonus number and your calculations include the one and two number matches. Bet you missed where I said "won't match a single number or the bonus number".

We don't have to be a math professor emeritus to understand the odds of winning a MM jackpot are terrible even if there was a winner every drawing. Looking back there was no chance of winning  the jackpot in the last 17 drawings, but that won't stop people from buying tickets during an extended run the next time one occurs.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19831 Posts
                  Posted: October 23, 2014, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

Let's see where I made a mistake. There are 70 numbers that can't be drawn and those numbers create 12,103,014 five number combinations. There are 14 bonus numbers that won't be drawn making 169,442,196 combos when multiplied by 14 that won't match a single number.

The overall odds are 1:14.71 of winning something and that is about 6.8% of all the combos which is probably the number you used to calculate. I only included the tickets matching zero numbers without matching the bonus number and your calculations include the one and two number matches. Bet you missed where I said "won't match a single number or the bonus number".

We don't have to be a math professor emeritus to understand the odds of winning a MM jackpot are terrible even if there was a winner every drawing. Looking back there was no chance of winning  the jackpot in the last 17 drawings, but that won't stop people from buying tickets during an extended run the next time one occurs.

No I didn't, we both were right.  I bet you missed where I said combinations that would win nothing. Wink

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Baton Rouge, LA
                    United States
                    Member #4602
                    May 7, 2004
                    699 Posts
                    Posted: October 23, 2014, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

"I've done the math on hitting a lottery jackpot, and here is the truth:

You could buy 50 tickets per week for the next 70 years of your life, and you STILL would have, by any practical measure, ZERO chance of ever hitting the jackpot.

"By any practical measure" - what do I mean by that? Well, in the case of the PowerBall, it would take you almost 1,000 lifetimes of that sort of excessive waste just to expect to hit the jackpot once. It's simply never going to happen.

Here are a few more things to keep in mind if you feel yourself getting addicted to these tickets:

The lottery only pays back about 50 cents for every dollar it collects. So for every $100,000 it collects in ticket sales, only about $50,000 will be put aside for winning tickets. By the way, this has absolutely nothing to do with taxes. People who win bigger prizes will then also have to pay taxes.

At a 50% payback rate, no other standard form of gambling on the planet comes even close to being as bad a bet. The lottery is truly a TAX on the poor and on the ignorant.

Here's one more thing I'll tell you before I say how much I buy lottery tickets: Over 70 BILLION dollars is p*ssed down the drain each year on lottery tickets in the USA alone! That is more money spent than on the entire movie and music industries combined! It is a travesty that we should waste so much money when our economy is hurting so badly. If everyone spent the dollars they waste on the lottery on buying something at a store, this country would be lifted out of this slump much, much quicker.

I used to spend TONS of money on lottery tickets. I had my own Lotto numbers, and because I had my own, I felt compelled to play them every drawing. I thought, "What if I don't play MY numbers and they hit tonight?!?" Guess what? They never hit. I quit playing the lottery over 15 years ago. Had I continued to play, "my" numbers would have won the very smallest 2-dollar prize about 6 times in all these years. I've saved TONS of money by quitting!

Do I ever play? Yes, I do. Once in a while, when the big games get up over 200 or 300 million dollars, I'll buy just ONE ticket. For the price of 1 ticket once in a while, it's worth it to give me that dream of "hitting it big". Any more spent than that is a total waste of money.

Put it this way - if it's you're destiny to win the lottery, then you will win it whether you buy 1 ticket per month or if you buy hundreds of tickets per week. Just buy 1 ticket once in a great while. If you were meant to win the lottery, you'll win it with that 1 ticket. If not, you won't. By PDQ

I've cut back on my lottery playing too. I normally spend $6/week on tickets, with $2 of that going into a pool of Powerball/Lotto/MegaMillions tickets that would be split between 11 people if we win. I also buy a Lotto and an Easy5 ticket for myself twice a week. I only play MegaMililons and Powerball when they break $100 million, like now.

What you said about playing your own numbers and they never hit reminded me of an experiment I did involving picking your own numbers and playing them every week vs a quick pick. I picked a set of numbers and played them and a quick pick for drawings of Louisiana Lotto. I did this for 70 drawings(35 weeks) and actually did better playing a different quick pick than the same set of numbers. The hand picked set of numbers never matched more than 2 numbers(3 required to win a lower tier prize), while the quick picks actually won a few times. Over the course of the 70 draws, the quick picks averaged a win of $0.84/ticket. The average number of balls matched was 0.71/draw for the self pick and 0.97/draw for the quick pick. Most drawings on both only matched 1 ball.

Not sure what to conclude from that.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

foemill's avatar - nw scandix.jpg
                      TN
                      United States
                      Member #109927
                      April 22, 2011
                      3643 Posts
                      Posted: October 23, 2014, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

Your chances of developing a gambling addiction are greater by spending $1 on the lottery versus $5 or $10.

You will be playing the lottery more often, because it will be easier to spend $1 versus $5 or $10 on the lottery.

don't know about that Thrifty I've been in the store and saw a many come in and spend a butt load on scratch offs ......day after day........ but will not buy a pick 3 or pick 4 ....I will spend 5 on this new game I guess I got a gambling problem.........lol

Have a great day, Hit a str8.

United States
                        Member #128790
                        June 2, 2012
                        5431 Posts
                        Posted: October 23, 2014, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

don't know about that Thrifty I've been in the store and saw a many come in and spend a butt load on scratch offs ......day after day........ but will not buy a pick 3 or pick 4 ....I will spend 5 on this new game I guess I got a gambling problem.........lol

If you know Thrifty, you'd realize he writes about JP games, not scratch-offs. People who play Scratch-offs incessantly are in a whole other class of players. Even you said that they won't play a p-3 or p-4 game .

NEW YORK
                          United States
                          Member #90535
                          April 29, 2010
                          11983 Posts
                          Posted: November 3, 2014, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

Problem with mankind, he sets limitations on himself, agreeing with impossible. 

Impossible is not apart of my vocabulary. 

All of you, who wish to influence with the word impossible, won't work. (on me especially) 

I believe in everything truly possible because I'm ready to accept it. 

I am the captain of my fate, I am not influenced by impossible. Impossible is a fear to all (but me). 

Be your own leader, lighten up your room with light from dark, and refuse the impossible.

GOD THE IMAGINATION

NEW YORK
                            United States
                            Member #90535
                            April 29, 2010
                            11983 Posts
                            Posted: November 6, 2014, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

I DO NOT PLAY THE LOTTERY.

I DID NOT PLAY THE LOTTERY TODAY.

HOW TO WIN THE LOTTERY BY NOT PLAYING=SAVE YOUR MONEY TO PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY.

OUR REGULAR LOTTERY PROGRAMMING.

1) Playing the lottery more often for less tickets= Buying 1 lottery ticket.

2) Playing the lottery less often for more tickets= Buying multiple lottery tickets.

3) Playing the lottery less often for less tickets= Buying 1 lottery ticket monthly or yearly.

4) Playing the lottery more often for more tickets= Spending more money= Gambling addiction.

THE RISK AVERSE LOTTERY PLAYER USES A LOTTERY STOP LOSS LIMIT TO MINIMIZE HIS OR HER LOSSES.

A LOTTERY STOP LOSS LIMIT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO BE A SUCCESSFUL LOTTERY PLAYER OVER THE LONG TERM.