Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

This makes no sense whatsoever- agree, disagree- what?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 2 years ago by noise-gate.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4146 Posts
Posted: October 23, 2014, 2:11 am - IP Logged

Two 5/5 tickets won by Californians just missing out on the Mega # on a $200 million Mega Million jackpot on 10/21/14 pays these people $166K? l thought it was a misprint- but its true. 

Yet someone from Illinois with those numbers bags a cool $1  million ? Its  mind boggling to say the least.

Thoughts anyone? 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: October 23, 2014, 2:17 am - IP Logged

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Lottery#Powerball

"In November 2012, California promulgated the regulations for Powerball in the state. Similar to Mega Millions, all non jackpot draws in the state are within an intrastate pool, with California sending its jackpot share (30% of draw sales) to MUSL for addition to the multi-state jackpot pool. This leads to different prize amounts for equivalent winners sold in California when compared to those sold in the other 44 jurisdictions. Each pool for a particular prize category will rollover, thus the "pick 5" prize will create a secondary jackpot similar to the "pick 5" payout in California's implementation of Mega Millions. Also, as a result of the California Supreme Court ruling which mandates pari-mutuel payouts, California will not participate in the PowerPlay multiplier option."

Basically, certain laws in California make it so that the second and lower prizes become pari-mutuel and won't be the same as other states.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
      NYC
      United States
      Member #117984
      October 19, 2011
      1843 Posts
      Posted: October 23, 2014, 2:18 am - IP Logged

Para-mutual payouts.... 

Jersey and Cali do their payouts different....

United States
        Member #142157
        May 4, 2013
        62 Posts
        Posted: October 23, 2014, 2:48 am - IP Logged

Just like how California doesn't have multiplier, CA MM different payout schedule as well.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10392 Posts
          Posted: October 23, 2014, 2:54 am - IP Logged

California is marching to a different drummer on the MM.

The Illinois winner didn't play the Megaplier, on the last draw it was 5X, had they played it they would have won $5M instead of $1M.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
            Nutley, New Jersey
            United States
            Member #131058
            August 1, 2012
            875 Posts
            Posted: October 23, 2014, 6:36 am - IP Logged

Two 5/5 tickets won by Californians just missing out on the Mega # on a $200 million Mega Million jackpot on 10/21/14 pays these people $166K? l thought it was a misprint- but its true. 

Yet someone from Illinois with those numbers bags a cool $1  million ? Its  mind boggling to say the least.

Thoughts anyone? 

noise-gate, you and I have had this discussion before. You didn't seem to have any problems with California's parimutuel payouts back then. You even went out of your way to defend it. Hopefully, now you've finally seen the light.

Hitting 5 without the powerball or megaball is probably a once in a life time event, you should get at least a million dollars in my opinion.

Here are the threads where you didn't have any problems with California's paramutuel payouts:

"PB California - Did they do the math right?"

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/260913

"California - Highway Robbery in Progress"

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/260140

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #129225
              June 13, 2012
              546 Posts
              Posted: October 23, 2014, 6:41 am - IP Logged

Thoughts anyone? 

Even though they knew it would be pari-mutual I am sure they had to be disappointed!  It must be so exciting to see that you won all 5 and then the reality hits you in the face!  Of course, there have been times when the winner received much more than a million so it does even out some.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                TX
                United States
                Member #121193
                January 4, 2012
                1637 Posts
                Posted: October 23, 2014, 7:21 am - IP Logged

While I have yet to get 5 of 5 and reside in a state that gives you the $1 million for doing so, I am very appreciative that I don't reside where it's redistribution of wealth(IMHO). Legally they call it pari-mutuel or you can call it whatever you want to. I don't reside there and my vote doesn't count towards electing their officials/decision makers. The old statement of "so goes California, so goes the nation" doesn't appear to be quite true in this instance and I for one am very grateful(Thank the good Lord)...AMEN

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #55889
                  October 23, 2007
                  5764 Posts
                  Posted: October 23, 2014, 9:01 am - IP Logged

Once in a while 5/5 will pay more than a million, but if I only won 166,000 on 5/5 I would be really disappointed.

I'm quite happy here in Texas!

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #18322
                    July 9, 2005
                    1744 Posts
                    Posted: October 23, 2014, 10:22 am - IP Logged

Thoughts anyone? 

People seem to FORGET the CONCEPT of GRATITUDE !!!  Lottery Winners should be THANKFUL for whatever amount of MONEY they do win, and STOP being so GREEDY for MORE MONEY, GREEDY for EXCESSIVE AMOUNTS OF MONEY, as if they are ENTITLED to $$$ OVERKILL !!! SERIOUSLY - YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED  !!!

inittowin's avatar - 039ee315cfea4c12c8f5
                      If you don't like it, spit it out!
                      United States
                      Member #4756
                      May 23, 2004
                      3435 Posts
                      Posted: October 23, 2014, 10:35 am - IP Logged

People seem to FORGET the CONCEPT of GRATITUDE !!!  Lottery Winners should be THANKFUL for whatever amount of MONEY they do win, and STOP being so GREEDY for MORE MONEY, GREEDY for EXCESSIVE AMOUNTS OF MONEY, as if they are ENTITLED to $$$ OVERKILL !!! SERIOUSLY - YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED  !!!

You are living in a different world!

It is a national game and all payouts SHOULD be uniform for all that play. You are entitled to the same as someone with the same winning numbers you have, it's nothing about greed. Your post is absolutely ludiaris!!

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                        Massachusetts
                        United States
                        Member #37433
                        April 14, 2006
                        2747 Posts
                        Posted: October 23, 2014, 11:00 am - IP Logged

It's easy Californians.  Just change your law and get rid of that pari thieving system. If your politicians refuse to change the law then throw them out. In this social network era it's easy to organize small people.

That money's gone fo ever

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                          Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4146 Posts
                          Posted: October 23, 2014, 11:39 am - IP Logged

noise-gate, you and I have had this discussion before. You didn't seem to have any problems with California's parimutuel payouts back then. You even went out of your way to defend it. Hopefully, now you've finally seen the light.

Hitting 5 without the powerball or megaball is probably a once in a life time event, you should get at least a million dollars in my opinion.

Here are the threads where you didn't have any problems with California's paramutuel payouts:

"PB California - Did they do the math right?"

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/260913

"California - Highway Robbery in Progress"

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/260140

WB- my issue is with how low the payout was for these two people given that California throws in the lion's share of the money.I would have thought that they would have seen some serious crown North of $600K, not under $200k. I hope that clears up the misunderstanding. Getting $166K on a $200million jackpot for 2nd place  is " insane"..IMO.

Peace!

United States
                            Member #142157
                            May 4, 2013
                            62 Posts
                            Posted: October 23, 2014, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

While I have yet to get 5 of 5 and reside in a state that gives you the $1 million for doing so, I am very appreciative that I don't reside where it's redistribution of wealth(IMHO). Legally they call it pari-mutuel or you can call it whatever you want to. I don't reside there and my vote doesn't count towards electing their officials/decision makers. The old statement of "so goes California, so goes the nation" doesn't appear to be quite true in this instance and I for one am very grateful(Thank the good Lord)...AMEN

You know what comes from Texas?  steers and flamers.

United States
                              Member #128790
                              June 2, 2012
                              5431 Posts
                              Posted: October 23, 2014, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

You are living in a different world!

It is a national game and all payouts SHOULD be uniform for all that play. You are entitled to the same as someone with the same winning numbers you have, it's nothing about greed. Your post is absolutely ludiaris!!

I hope most of the the people living in those parimutuel states are aware of their state's payout structures. If they aren't aware, it's only their fault for not doing their homework. 

So anyone who complains about the fairness issue can only blame themselves. 

In a perfect world everyone would be happy, but we all know that's not the way the world works.