Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are Mega Millions sales really that bad now?

Topic closed. 55 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Poo Nanny's avatar - 2649029

United States
Member #125766
March 30, 2012
63 Posts
Posted: October 25, 2014, 9:21 am - IP Logged

What happened to the Mega Millions sales? Last nights draw the prize amount was 226 million and with no winner it only increased to 252 million. That seems low to me when compared to the past drawings. The current Mega Millions prize is on it's 18th draw and about two years ago, that amount of draws with no winner would have most likely had a billion dollar prize amount. Is it lottery fatigue or is it the new matrix that people quit playing as much?

United States
    Member #145267
    August 1, 2013
    1512 Posts
    Posted: October 25, 2014, 10:36 am - IP Logged

It could be all the above plus, may-be, people are getting tired of the same places winning.  Ca. Had 4 second tier wins in a row.  The wealth need to be spread out to other places to keep people interested.  The new millionaire's club game started yesterday too, and if that is the case, people want more winners.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
      Nutley, New Jersey
      United States
      Member #131058
      August 1, 2012
      875 Posts
      Posted: October 25, 2014, 11:08 am - IP Logged

The $100 million jackpot mark was usually when casual lottery players jumped in and started buying tickets. $100 million jackpots were rare but now it seems like a $100 million jackpot happens every month. Powerball needs only 6 rollovers to hit the $100 million mark. So if you miss a $100 million jackpot, just wait about a month and you'll get another opportunity. There is no sense of urgency like before for casual players.

Now the jackpots need to be $250 mil or more to get the casual player's attention. Me personally, I play every drawing because winning any jackpot amount means I'm set.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
        Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #104962
        January 23, 2011
        1075 Posts
        Posted: October 25, 2014, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Oddly enough I am really surprised that there was no jackpot winner friday night.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #104962
          January 23, 2011
          1075 Posts
          Posted: October 25, 2014, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

It could be all the above plus, may-be, people are getting tired of the same places winning.  Ca. Had 4 second tier wins in a row.  The wealth need to be spread out to other places to keep people interested.  The new millionaire's club game started yesterday too, and if that is the case, people want more winners.

I Agree!

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
            NY
            United States
            Member #121961
            January 21, 2012
            3157 Posts
            Posted: October 25, 2014, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

It takes a rare jackpot to spike sales. We haven't seen that in awhile.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
              Upacreek
              United States
              Member #136306
              December 8, 2012
              428 Posts
              Posted: October 25, 2014, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! And.... PB beats the pants off of MM... Time for MM to go away... One game starting at 50M 4x per week with PB odds and Megaplier type payouts... Is it possible?

-RC

United States
                Member #106134
                February 13, 2011
                806 Posts
                Posted: October 25, 2014, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

California has been losing on purpose.  They've got their cheat codes ready and setting themselves up for the big one.

california
                  United States
                  Member #152904
                  February 28, 2014
                  10 Posts
                  Posted: October 25, 2014, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

I live in California. I need some of that luck, it seems the central valley and bay areas are winning the most. SoCal needs love.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7310 Posts
                    Posted: October 25, 2014, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

What happened to the Mega Millions sales? Last nights draw the prize amount was 226 million and with no winner it only increased to 252 million. That seems low to me when compared to the past drawings. The current Mega Millions prize is on it's 18th draw and about two years ago, that amount of draws with no winner would have most likely had a billion dollar prize amount. Is it lottery fatigue or is it the new matrix that people quit playing as much?

Sales were $44,498,322 for last night compared to the 3/14/2014 sales of $43,702,292 for a $240 million jackpot. And is more than the $36,816,769 in sales for a $230 million jackpot on 11/29/2013. The $230 jackpot was increased to $270 million and the $230 jackpot went to $257 million. It sure looks to me like the sales for last night's $224 jackpot were HIGHER than larger jackpots and jackpot increases were about the same.

"The current Mega Millions prize is on it's 18th draw and about two years ago, that amount of draws with no winner would have most likely had a billion dollar prize amount."

Two years ago the jackpot was $21 million, but about a year ago the jackpot for the 18th draw $257 million. The record $636 million jackpot was hit on the 22nd drawing and the $400 million jackpot was hit on the 21st. And you're saying sales are poor because the jackpot isn't a $1 billion on 18th drawing?

"Is it lottery fatigue or is it the new matrix that people quit playing as much?"

Only for the players that ignore the facts to create an error filled conspiracy theory.

Theox-'s avatar - DAylUYw

United States
                      Member #148698
                      November 9, 2013
                      96 Posts
                      Posted: October 26, 2014, 12:11 am - IP Logged

Sales were $44,498,322 for last night compared to the 3/14/2014 sales of $43,702,292 for a $240 million jackpot. And is more than the $36,816,769 in sales for a $230 million jackpot on 11/29/2013. The $230 jackpot was increased to $270 million and the $230 jackpot went to $257 million. It sure looks to me like the sales for last night's $224 jackpot were HIGHER than larger jackpots and jackpot increases were about the same.

"The current Mega Millions prize is on it's 18th draw and about two years ago, that amount of draws with no winner would have most likely had a billion dollar prize amount."

Two years ago the jackpot was $21 million, but about a year ago the jackpot for the 18th draw $257 million. The record $636 million jackpot was hit on the 22nd drawing and the $400 million jackpot was hit on the 21st. And you're saying sales are poor because the jackpot isn't a $1 billion on 18th drawing?

"Is it lottery fatigue or is it the new matrix that people quit playing as much?"

Only for the players that ignore the facts to create an error filled conspiracy theory.

Stack47, where are you pulling those sales numbers from?

United States
                        Member #135804
                        November 29, 2012
                        318 Posts
                        Posted: October 26, 2014, 1:41 am - IP Logged

You're only looking at one drawing here or there. The sales at the start of a run are much lower even with more states.

TinkerMazell's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                          Augusta, Georgia
                          United States
                          Member #127854
                          May 10, 2012
                          81 Posts
                          Posted: October 26, 2014, 3:41 am - IP Logged

WOW! You guys really get into the statistics!  I don't know how to do all that. I just buy a ticket every now and then. And I only buy ONE. I do invest in the megaplyer or power up. I don't care how much it is because I know any win would be awesome :)

If the jackpot is so high that it's all the talk on the news and at work and etc., then I make sure I don't miss buying at least one ticket. I'd rather not win if it's so high unless I have the option to remain anonymous. That's not an option here in Georgia, so I go 2 minutes across the Savannah River and grab a ticket in South Carolina where you CAN be anon. The last hue jackpot was won in Lexington, SC and the guy remained anonymous. He said his wife called him and asked him to pick up some hot dog buns so he pulled over and got some gas, hot dog buns, and a lottery ticket.  Best call his wife ever made LOL! What got me is, it's the same gas station I go to every friggen week to get gas and lottery tickets because I get off of I-20 there to go to work. So yes I was freaking out when they said it was THAT gas station that sold the ticket.  PLUS, I couldn't find my ticket!! It was in my locker at work! LOL!!

I am a $20,000 winner from a Georgia Lottery scratch off game called "$3,000,000 Taxes Paid"!

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7310 Posts
                            Posted: October 26, 2014, 4:04 am - IP Logged

Stack47, where are you pulling those sales numbers from?

Lotto Report.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7310 Posts
                              Posted: October 26, 2014, 4:08 am - IP Logged

You're only looking at one drawing here or there. The sales at the start of a run are much lower even with more states.

You really ought to look at the sale figures before saying "The sales at the start of a run are much lower even with more states". The sales at the start of this right are HIGHER than the last two runs. Where are you getting your figures?