Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball is kicking it up-10 millionaires were made tonight!!.

Topic closed. 85 replies. Last post 2 years ago by maringoman.

Page 5 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
Wyomissing, PA
United States
Member #161050
November 15, 2014
301 Posts
Posted: January 31, 2015, 10:52 am - IP Logged

If no winner Saturday, jackpot will be $317 annuitized. No winner after that, likely $350 million range. Sales definitely aren't increasing as projected. Now they are no longer anticipating a $400 million jackpot for the pre-Valentine's day drawing.

Amazing how even $300 million advertised annuity jackpots aren't exciting. Main reason seems to be jackpot fatigue - it's no longer new, etc. Also many players now perceive the odds of winning to be not just astronomical, but rather seemingly impossible (especially so with Mega Millions after its matrix change). Plus, to add insult to injury, the doubled price.

And more savvy players see through the overly inflated annuity jackpot amount; don't trust the estimates at all, since Powerball doesn't always pay what they advertise ...

For example, about two years ago, there was a Powerball jackpot widely advertised as $600 million annuity, but the actual jackpot turned out to be a bit less at around $590 million annuity. Sure the winner isn't upset, but it's false advertising, since many players played with the belief the annuity jackpot was "$600 million" annuity, not something less. It's unfortunate MUSL didn't honor the $600 million annuity number, but then I'm, presumably, in a tiny, tiny minority of players who noticed the discrepancy, and have actually cutback play of Powerball and Mega Millions due to that reason too.

Rambling on, but point is I go by the cash value of the past drawing, and then add some to that value. I don't solely rely on the current jackpot value being advertised. Most players don't go into all that thought, but have, nevertheless, raised their threshold for playing as the meager rollovers well illustrate.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19901 Posts
    Posted: January 31, 2015, 11:02 am - IP Logged

Amazing how even $300 million advertised annuity jackpots aren't exciting. Main reason seems to be jackpot fatigue - it's no longer new, etc. Also many players now perceive the odds of winning to be not just astronomical, but rather seemingly impossible (especially so with Mega Millions after its matrix change). Plus, to add insult to injury, the doubled price.

And more savvy players see through the overly inflated annuity jackpot amount; don't trust the estimates at all, since Powerball doesn't always pay what they advertise ...

For example, about two years ago, there was a Powerball jackpot widely advertised as $600 million annuity, but the actual jackpot turned out to be a bit less at around $590 million annuity. Sure the winner isn't upset, but it's false advertising, since many players played with the belief the annuity jackpot was "$600 million" annuity, not something less. It's unfortunate MUSL didn't honor the $600 million annuity number, but then I'm, presumably, in a tiny, tiny minority of players who noticed the discrepancy, and have actually cutback play of Powerball and Mega Millions due to that reason too.

Rambling on, but point is I go by the cash value of the past drawing, and then add some to that value. I don't solely rely on the current jackpot value being advertised. Most players don't go into all that thought, but have, nevertheless, raised their threshold for playing as the meager rollovers well illustrate.

All cash values and annuities amounts are estimated, that means they are guessing at best.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
      Happyland
      United States
      Member #146344
      September 1, 2013
      1131 Posts
      Posted: January 31, 2015, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

Something to keep in mind about the annuity also is that the "final" value is based on the interest rate (technically the yield bid by the treasury trust) for the following business day when the jackpot is hit (i.e. Saturday would use Monday rates, not Friday). So in reality, cash held equal, the annuity changes every day. Since obviously nobody can predict future yields, they simply use the annuity factor that was utilized for the most recent jackpot in their estimations. They are conservative in estimating the cash value though, so the advertised CVO can usually be trusted (except in cases where sales severely lag projections, of course).

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Wyomissing, PA
        United States
        Member #161050
        November 15, 2014
        301 Posts
        Posted: January 31, 2015, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

All cash values and annuities amounts are estimated, that means they are guessing at best.

Most lotteries gloss over the "estimated" part. Sure, many mention "estimate", but all too often, not. Sometimes there's an asterisk somewhere, but with little to no indication what it's in regards to. NJ Lottery is a prime example: "Next Jackpot* Saturday 01/31/15 $289 MILLION Cash Option $189.4 Million". And that's assuming they even bother with that. Sometimes the Powerball / Mega Million jackpots is advertised as if the value is the value with no mention to the contrary. CA Lottery is a prime example: "The next big jackpot is $289 MILLION". Deceptive.

Sure, most players know the jackpot values are estimated, but not all realize that. But even players who do assume the actual amount will be very close. Admittedly, $590 million verses $600 million (annuity) is relatively close, but what bothers me is the cash value difference is even smaller - the participating lotteries could have easily, and should have, bulked up that Powerball jackpot to the widely advertised amount. Many lotteries do for their in-state games. To not do that is excess greed, and is deceptive - some players do notice; refrain from playing / wager less.

About the only saving grace for those big jackpot games is the 2nd tier prize, in particular, Powerball $1 million ($2 million with Powerplay) prize, which is a 1 in 5,153,633 million chance - lousy odds, but within the remote realm of possibility, as the 8 one million dollar winners (+2 CA winners who won around 1/2 that) in the Jan-24th drawing well illustrates. After Powerball matrix changes in July, I'll play it even less. 1 in ~9.2 million to win $1 million with no doubler option -well other than buying another ticket for $2, which, effectively, is a $1 more than now; increased chance of the prize going para-mutuel...

Speaking of para-mutuel, most players (outside of CA) don't realize most all prizes in Powerball and Mega Millions can go para-mutuel. To date, far as I'm aware, has never been an issue. The para-mutuel thresholds triggers are relatively high. However, after the matrix change and, presumably, lower level of player participation, it could occur. I mention that, since there are some who bulk up the 2nd place prize by playing the same numbers multiple times - that may not work out too well in the future. Better to put that money towards playing additional number combinations (at out of this world, insane odds) and/or other games.

As others have mentioned, a raffle game would be ideal. Sure, it would likely be relegated to a niche game, but is something lotteries should offer. Heck, not many play Pick 5 (formerly Quinto) in PA, but it has a following, as does PA Treasure Hunt. Brings players in, who often will buy other tickets too. I'm more likely to buy extra tickets (numbers and instants) when an in-state jackpot game gets high verses the multi-state jackpot games.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5762 Posts
          Posted: January 31, 2015, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

All I know is that even the estimated amounts are more than enough for me to retire comfortably. I don't hardly pay attention to what the jackpot is.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19901 Posts
            Posted: January 31, 2015, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

All I know is that even the estimated amounts are more than enough for me to retire comfortably. I don't hardly pay attention to what the jackpot is.

The guesses are close enough for me to decide which games I prefer to play.  So far it hasn't ever matter since the only prizes I've ever won were fixed amounts regardless of the jackpot sizes.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4146 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2015, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

A three or four way split of this present PB jackpot is good enough for me... providing l am one of the 3 or 4 individuals that takes home a piece of the pie.Big Smile

After the Feds take a 2nd bite of the Apple, it would seem we looking at an amount North of $127 Mil. Sweet!

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                Member #141034
                April 2, 2013
                1419 Posts
                Posted: February 1, 2015, 1:03 am - IP Logged

8 newly minted millionaires from six different states for this draw. The dreaded 2X multiplier rears its ugly head again. The jackpot is now a little sweeter for the next draw Banana.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                  Massachusetts
                  United States
                  Member #37433
                  April 14, 2006
                  2747 Posts
                  Posted: February 1, 2015, 1:28 am - IP Logged

8 newly minted millionaires from six different states for this draw. The dreaded 2X multiplier rears its ugly head again. The jackpot is now a little sweeter for the next draw Banana.

Naughty  This is very good. I hope to find a way..

That money's gone fo ever

JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                    Member #141034
                    April 2, 2013
                    1419 Posts
                    Posted: February 2, 2015, 1:22 am - IP Logged

Some people are still yapping about the so-called non-winning states, instead of focusing their energy on hunting down and bagging a fat jackpot. Stooges

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                      Member #141034
                      April 2, 2013
                      1419 Posts
                      Posted: February 4, 2015, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

Powerball should really keep the game how it is. It's fine how it is right now.

Got 5 more lines with pp just to enjoy the game how it is now before they butcher it, for better or worse.

JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                        Member #141034
                        April 2, 2013
                        1419 Posts
                        Posted: February 5, 2015, 10:08 am - IP Logged

This 2X multiplier is beginning to get on my last nerve. 2X multiplier has appeared 4 times in the last 6 draws. On a positive note, 8 new millionaires from seven different states were made this draw and the jackpot keeps growing, which is a very good thing.

SammyJoe10's avatar - disney37
                          Middle of Nowhere NC
                          United States
                          Member #151289
                          January 12, 2014
                          428 Posts
                          Posted: February 5, 2015, 10:17 am - IP Logged

The 2x multiplier does suck, which is why I rarely power play. I love it when there are multiple 5+0 winners, spread the wealth around! Good luck to everyone on the next drawing!

JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                            Member #141034
                            April 2, 2013
                            1419 Posts
                            Posted: February 6, 2015, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Extremely unlikely. The previous increase was advertised as $31 million (annuity value), but the actual sales were only enough fo an increase of about $27 million. That means the current increase of $28 million they're advertising now is really a slightly bigger increase (last night's $261 million would have been a bit less than 261). Getting to $300 million would require a far bigger increase than the MUSL people expect, and their recent expectations have already been a bit optimistic.

PB may be doing a bit better than MM, but based on recent trends I think we've got to get somewhere north of $300 million before actual sales are going to be much more than MUSL's initial prediction.

The jackpot is way over $300M+ for  2/7/15 draw, like I projected on on 1/29/15.  I hope it keeps growing to keep the game more interesting.

JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                              Member #141034
                              April 2, 2013
                              1419 Posts
                              Posted: February 8, 2015, 6:09 am - IP Logged

11 second prize winners from 8 different States. Just the way I like it. Hopefully by Valentine's day, we shall see 1/2 a billy jackpot and that should ignite the feeding frenzy. Everybody will have a happy Valentine, so plan ahead. I know I'm gonna enjoy it.