Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 11:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball is kicking it up-10 millionaires were made tonight!!.

Topic closed. 85 replies. Last post 2 years ago by maringoman.

Page 2 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
Member #133462
September 30, 2012
5946 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2015, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

April 15th is D Day for changes to the Powerball Game.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10348 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2015, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

I hope powerball doesn't change the matrix. It's got the best odds to win $1M at that cost other than when Cash 5 games rolls over a few times.

Do a search for Powerball matrix change and look for a Dec 12 2014 post from LottoMetro.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3474 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2015, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

"I think both multi-state games are interested in pushing the envelope"

I'm pretty sure the only thing they're interested in is maximizing their profit, and they figured out along time go that really big jackpots sell a hell of a lot of tickets. They have to know that raising the odds that high is going to reduce the number of tickets they sell for modest jackpots, but they're hoping to make up for it with the unusually big jackpots.

Considering that the current version is the one they dialed back after raising the odds to 200+ million it strikes me as a risky move. I assume they did a bunch of market research, but they claim to have done that before rolling out Monopoly Millionaire's Club, too.

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
        Member #142777
        May 18, 2013
        263 Posts
        Posted: January 22, 2015, 1:52 am - IP Logged

Whats with all the profit bashers?  You took any raise offered to you in the past!  Don't these extra profits go to fund education?  The pot can grow for weeks to get to 300m and not create as many millionaires as one draw that goes from 300m to 600m.  It's a win for everybody if you get pots going above the 275-300 million level.

So what has been holding back increasing the odds?  Envy and worry over one person winning the big pot. We got to many sour wusses that want to spread the big pot among multiple winners or capping pots which would kill the sales above 275-300m when the non regular players finally get in.  Even if a billion dollar draw would create 100 instant millionaires that wouldn't satisfy the naysayers that would be worried one person would get the other 900 million.  Its crazy!  Its no more money in their pocket either way!  Explain yourself.

Don't worry yall.  The politicians are desperate for more money and they are putting pressure on the MM & PB lottery commissions to up those odds slowly but surely.  Here's an early Cheers to the first single ticket billion dollar winner!  I hope they show at the press conference dressed as SuperMan!  Whataya say?Banana

p.s. Excellent post mypiemaster

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
          JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
          Member #141034
          April 2, 2013
          1408 Posts
          Posted: January 22, 2015, 8:14 am - IP Logged

Four more newly minted Powerball millionaires, from 4 different states. Jackpot is now over a quarter billy and growing. I like it. Banana

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
            Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1129 Posts
            Posted: January 22, 2015, 8:59 am - IP Logged

Four more newly minted Powerball millionaires, from 4 different states. Jackpot is now over a quarter billy and growing. I like it. Banana

Powerball jackpot will be at least half a billion if it continues rolling to Valentine's Day. Big Grin

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
            P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
              Columbus, Ohio
              United States
              Member #128906
              June 5, 2012
              591 Posts
              Posted: January 22, 2015, 9:08 am - IP Logged

Someone from Ohio matched 5 white with power play, nice win!  If that was me, today would have been my last work day.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                Massachusetts
                United States
                Member #37433
                April 14, 2006
                2747 Posts
                Posted: January 22, 2015, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Someone from Ohio matched 5 white with power play, nice win!  If that was me, today would have been my last work day.

No matter how high the taxes are, that person will most likely end up with $1M. Just because they parted with an extra dollar.  Nice

That money's gone fo ever

Baton Rouge, LA
                  United States
                  Member #4602
                  May 7, 2004
                  699 Posts
                  Posted: January 22, 2015, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

Party to all the Winners.

l would rather see 10 players from a Pool share the top prize.... imho.

The lottery pool I run is 11 players. We won $4 on the last round which will be used for another MegaMilions ticket.

Buying tickets tomorrow morning, wish me luck.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10348 Posts
                    Posted: January 22, 2015, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

vegaanlife125
                    "Don't these extra profits go to fund education?

In some states they only appear to fund education. The money is just run through the education system.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                      Massachusetts
                      United States
                      Member #37433
                      April 14, 2006
                      2747 Posts
                      Posted: January 23, 2015, 11:41 am - IP Logged

Do a search for Powerball matrix change and look for a Dec 12 2014 post from LottoMetro.

I saw that thread. I'm hoping it's not true. PB is still making money because only about half of the money wagered goes into the jackpot. Greedy Evil Smile

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                        Happyland
                        United States
                        Member #146344
                        September 1, 2013
                        1129 Posts
                        Posted: January 23, 2015, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

I saw that thread. I'm hoping it's not true. PB is still making money because only about half of the money wagered goes into the jackpot. Greedy Evil Smile

Unfortunately it is true Disapprove

http://www.flalottery.com/exptkt/powerballCountdown.pdf

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Technut's avatar - moon
                          3rd Rock from Sun
                          United States
                          Member #159103
                          September 13, 2014
                          151 Posts
                          Posted: January 23, 2015, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

I read the info regarding upcoming changes and yea i agree that changing the setup will hurt ticket sales with lower jackpots no doubt. i think the matrix should stay where it is. if they want to change something  then just change the powerplay itself only to new format and add the second drawing like they plan using existing matrix instead of making things worse.

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a gift that's why it's called the PRESENT! (c8

Massachusetts
                            United States
                            Member #37433
                            April 14, 2006
                            2747 Posts
                            Posted: January 23, 2015, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

LM you know these things. Why the greed though? The states already get half of the wagered money and majority of the times nobody wins the second prize so they get to keep most of their share What?

United States
                              Member #160170
                              October 20, 2014
                              30 Posts
                              Posted: January 23, 2015, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

Income has fallen the past year to ridiculously low levels. For some states, which depend on the lottery always bringing in more year after year, this was a big pain and they hinted very strongly that they needed more. The lottery complied by destroying the odds further for jackpot winners thinking they would sucker in more people to play the game as the chances of it rolling will be as high as the MM now. I'm a jackpot player and now will be playing PB less than I even did last year.

The MUSL management is just giving what the states asked for, year after year of growth. They are going to fail like the MMC.