Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

dishonest store clerks

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 2 years ago by arms1970.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #163309
January 25, 2015
18 Posts
Posted: January 28, 2015, 6:55 am - IP Logged

Embarassed oh poop!

United States
    Member #163309
    January 25, 2015
    18 Posts
    Posted: January 28, 2015, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

Big Smile yeh i guess your right but my little heart was a pounding.Sad Cheers

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
      Nova Scotia
      Canada
      Member #9934
      December 27, 2004
      884 Posts
      Posted: January 28, 2015, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

I go to stores with dishonest clerk's all the time. And sometime's I ask them for a receipt, to make sure they, don't rip me off..

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19817 Posts
        Posted: January 28, 2015, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

Jester Anybody have any horror stories about dishonest store clerks? Dance  i may have been ripped off for a $100,000 scratch off ticket. 

Unfortunately if you were ripped off by a clerk u probably wouldn't know it!?I Agree!

Nothing like that but I did have a clerk pretend he ran my play slips and try to pond off on me some MM mistakes.  If I had accepted those tickets and my numbers came in there would have been nothing I could have done about it. 

If I had asked for auto plays it would have made no difference but when I make out play slips I expect to get the numbers I played.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #163309
          January 25, 2015
          18 Posts
          Posted: January 28, 2015, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Patriot In the "How to Claim" section of the  florida lottery website it says that u should go to any lottery retailer (i.e. store) to validate a winning scratch off ticket which is what i did and got screwed!?Bed (or u can mail it).

Jackpot!'s avatar - Jackpot

United States
            Member #163339
            January 27, 2015
            6 Posts
            Posted: January 28, 2015, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Since I’ve been playing daily this past month, I’ve had a few clerks mess up my request or didn’t hear me correctly. I had one give me 5 day draw single play when I said QP 5 plays, had another give me wrong scratch offs and wouldn’t let exchange them before I paid, said she couldn’t void them out, so ended up paying for additional tickets I didn’t want, and had one that didn’t scan my win, just asked me how much he owed me, I told him what I won and wanted to exchange them. He didn’t even check to see if I had actually won, just gave me the amount back in tickets I said. I figure I’ll run into at least one clerk error a week since I don’t usually visit the same place but once every other week. I’m hoping that a clerk error might fall into my favor at least.Jester Laugh

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4523 Posts
              Posted: January 28, 2015, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

One place I went did the following: 

(1) Handed them my $80.00 winning ticket.

(2) They said, care to play any lottery ?

(3)Why yes...and I proceed to play about 5$ worth.

(4) They hand me the tickets and pop some cash in my hand as there was a line so they told me to move along. As I walk away I see that they only gave me 55$ back. I turn quickly and ask the guy where the rest is, he says, you left the line, you could have easily pocketed it. Because it was fives and tens he made it appear to be more. The crowd pretty much agreed with the guy....I was stunned. 

The clerk and I both knew how much I won, yet he chose to not pay out proper since the crowd was getting restless. Lesson learned. Don't leave the counter til all cash is accounted for.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Jackpot!'s avatar - Jackpot

United States
                Member #163339
                January 27, 2015
                6 Posts
                Posted: January 28, 2015, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

One place I went did the following: 

(1) Handed them my $80.00 winning ticket.

(2) They said, care to play any lottery ?

(3)Why yes...and I proceed to play about 5$ worth.

(4) They hand me the tickets and pop some cash in my hand as there was a line so they told me to move along. As I walk away I see that they only gave me 55$ back. I turn quickly and ask the guy where the rest is, he says, you left the line, you could have easily pocketed it. Because it was fives and tens he made it appear to be more. The crowd pretty much agreed with the guy....I was stunned. 

The clerk and I both knew how much I won, yet he chose to not pay out proper since the crowd was getting restless. Lesson learned. Don't leave the counter til all cash is accounted for.

Yea, I can't stand it when there is a crowd growing behind you especially in a small gas stations and when your trying to do multiple transactions. I'm making it a personal rule, when and if I win over $20, I'm going to a grocery store or shopping outlet customer service center to redeem.

Wyomissing, PA
                  United States
                  Member #161050
                  November 15, 2014
                  301 Posts
                  Posted: January 28, 2015, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

Yea, I can't stand it when there is a crowd growing behind you especially in a small gas stations and when your trying to do multiple transactions. I'm making it a personal rule, when and if I win over $20, I'm going to a grocery store or shopping outlet customer service center to redeem.

That's essentially the same thing I do, though my threshold is somewhat higher - I'll cash up to $50, and occasionally, even $100. Anything more, and I go to "trusted" lottery retailers who have a good track record, and willing to payout upwards of $500 without fuss.

PA Lottery self-service terminals will redeem winning tickets up to $600, allowing one to buy more tickets right away ... and, in a round about way get some cash back by playing out most of the winnings and getting a voucher for the remainder, and/or buying a bunch of instant tickets that will presumably have some small winners that can then be easily cashed.

On a related note, be wary of the ticket checkers. There's very little, if any, security between the checker and the terminal. An unscrupulous clerk could tamper with the unit and/or connection to it on a selective basis. It's downright scary how little oversight there is over lottery retailers in many jurisdictions. On the bright side, self-service terminals are being rolled out to more retailers, such as Wawa (a large, regional chain of convenience stores) to sell lottery tickets.

On-line ticket purchasing would eliminate the middleman nearly entirely; saving lotteries a bundle in retailer commission in the process. But is going to be some time coming, though already available in a limited way through "subscriptions", due to marketing (retailers are still important to generate sales), security (browsers / apps, device compatibility, back-end sytems, etc), and legal reasons (preventing cross-border sales to stay within Federal law).

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4104 Posts
                    Posted: January 28, 2015, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Jester Anybody have any horror stories about dishonest store clerks? Dance  i may have been ripped off for a $100,000 scratch off ticket. 

Unfortunately if you were ripped off by a clerk u probably wouldn't know it!?I Agree!

" May have been ripped off?" 

The first rule of thumb to playing the lottery is to " Know the rules". There is NO RULE that says " hand your ticket over to the clerk in order for him/her to check it for you "

So what are you going to do about it-  how much do you weigh Moose?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

United States
                      Member #163309
                      January 25, 2015
                      18 Posts
                      Posted: January 28, 2015, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Jester what does my weight have to do with anything? i'm slightly overweight.Goof not much i can do about it at this point i'm afraid.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #55889
                        October 23, 2007
                        5588 Posts
                        Posted: January 28, 2015, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

Forgot to mention also that in Tx when the clerk scans a winning ticket, the machine plays a little tune. So they don't have an opportunity to cheat .

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #56506
                          November 21, 2007
                          6537 Posts
                          Posted: January 28, 2015, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

Forgot to mention also that in Tx when the clerk scans a winning ticket, the machine plays a little tune. So they don't have an opportunity to cheat .

Yeah at the stores where I cash my tickets the terminal does a little jingle and says winner! after the ticket is scanned.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10345 Posts
                            Posted: January 28, 2015, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

TheGameGrl,

Really sad that people will turn on you like that.

One time on a crap table I had a player try to reach into the bank to try and get a handful of chips that he thought he 'had coming'. People on the game swore that I punched the guy (no such thing happened) and all those people were invited to watch the surveillance films and see if they wanted to stick to their story. No one did.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                              Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4104 Posts
                              Posted: January 28, 2015, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

Jester what does my weight have to do with anything? i'm slightly overweight.Goof not much i can do about it at this point i'm afraid.

No disrespect Moose59- Thumbs Up l guess l always try and think a few moves ahead..therefore..

If you were over 6' 2" and weighed a good 250- l " seriously doubt" you going to get a clerk trying to screw you over $100,000 on your ticket. However if you weighed 115lbs soaking wet and were 5'2"....

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.