Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you be inclined to give a Panhandler a few $$ should you hit it Big?

Topic closed. 54 replies. Last post 1 year ago by RedStang.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
TX
United States
Member #121193
January 4, 2012
1637 Posts
Posted: June 24, 2015, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

Cause its hot here in Texas....after the big win it would the "buck and a bottle of water"...something to cool your thirst while you walk to the store and buy your lucky ticket. Good exercise, have a nice day !!!

Noel

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
    Pittsburg, Ks
    United States
    Member #3382
    January 17, 2004
    80714 Posts
    Posted: June 24, 2015, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Last Friday my husband ans I went to check this new eatery out,I stepped in to get a menu,I came out and this man came up to the truck,he said my car ran out of gas down the road,my husband no knowing started to reach for his wallet,I said no very loudly to my husband,he said why not hun,,I said this man runs out of gas daily in this area,he uses the same old story day after day...I said to him,why dont you change your story.He rants on too the next person...if there is panhandlers I will give money,but this guy has been doing this since I moved here 10 years ago.

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I was going walking when a lady came up  to me and asked me for $20. She told me her car was out of gas at the gas station. I gave her $20 and she walked the other way of the gas station. That happened to me twice. 2 different women. 2 different times

God Bless America

US Flag

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4104 Posts
      Posted: June 24, 2015, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I was going walking when a lady came up  to me and asked me for $20. She told me her car was out of gas at the gas station. I gave her $20 and she walked the other way of the gas station. That happened to me twice. 2 different women. 2 different times

Twice? She walked the other way Huh?...l hate to break it to you bud, but you don't know Women... Image result for women looking coy

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Sunny California
        United States
        Member #40295
        May 31, 2006
        7712 Posts
        Posted: June 24, 2015, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

I'm picky about who I give money to also. It used to be I couldn't get out of my car in any parking lot without someone coming up with the gas can. Then it's the countless "sign" bearers. I no longer see "Will Work For Food",lol. Now it's "Homeless", "Veteran", "Cancer" or "Low on Funds for Rent". Nobody wants to "work" anymore I guess. 

The other day at Sam's Club some lady came over and started complimenting my hair. I said thank you but she kept on talking and before long it was, "Do you think you could buy me something extra in your basket? I'm so hungry, the people I'm living with treat me so bad." Blah blah blah. Meanwhile I'm looking in her basket and she's got a huge sheet cake loaded with whipped cream and strawberries and commercial size bag of rolls plus various other items. I don't know, people are nuts.

The last time I gave money was to this young guy who looked perfectly healthy but he had a dog with him. He had a sign that said, "Just passing through, hungry" or something like that. I gave him some money and said, "get your dog something to eat."

It's really pathetic. I may sound heartless to my fellow man but enough is enough already.

(The animals always get to me, though. And I generously donate to animal rescues.)

Someone told me this once that gave me a chuckle.

"If you are bothered by panhandlers the best thing you can do is jump in before they say anything to you and say,

"Do you have a quarter I could borrow?"

Do You Want To Win Today?  http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/286011

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #74096
          May 2, 2009
          22861 Posts
          Posted: June 24, 2015, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

Winning big would enable more giving but rich or not rich does not change what a

person feels at heart. Some people hold the belief that those less fortunate are not

their problem and tend to have the attitude to match. The snide remarks like they

made their bed or remarks like go find a job are a brush off or coverup for what they

know deep inside: that helping when and if you can is right. It"s not right so that you

can pat yourself on the back..…that kind of atention is for millionaires...it"s not right

so you can attach advice to the contribution and feel you put them in their place and

on the right road....it"s right because it"s not pleasant to NEED. That need can be food,

money for utilities, baby items, booze, drugs, gas - anything that takes money one does 

not have. We are not animals we are people, even those that some consider distasteful.

Animals hoard and attack the weak, humans are much better than that, or should be. 

I have no problem at all giving ESPECIALLY if a lottery boost is involved. If one choses

not to give, that"s their choice but I think the rewards for giving are 100 fold. Something 

miserable wealthy people should embrace is generosity and compassion. They might find

what no amount of money can buy. It feels good to give lunch to someone, pay the excess of 

a bigger than expected bill at the checkout or tell someone: go ahead keep that item and here"s

the extra to pay for it, to give to someone who has the courage (insert gall for the stingy people)

to ask, pay for gas or just give what you can if asked and offer if not.

I"ve seen the rewards of giving. They are real. Just don't give to get. Give and forget, your

reward will be on it"s way when you least expect it. And instead of feeling good that life is 

finally looking up for you and it was all your doing, remember the guy way back who said:

Hey, can you spare a dollar? He probably added: God Bless You if you gave him one or not.

I"ve heatd those words countless times and they work. You just never know when.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
            Member #131594
            August 14, 2012
            171 Posts
            Posted: June 25, 2015, 12:31 am - IP Logged

Or is it against your very nature to do so at present?

Or Perhaps you could look on your good fortune as " giving back to the community" in a small way? After all- Panhandlers are here to stay.

I ran into one a few month's back and the funny thing is that he did not ask for money, he told me he was hungry and asked me to buy him an item off the menu board.Total cost $5.00 plus- he thanked me & left. I seriously doubt l would pass him by & not "assist"  in some small way the next time I "bump" into him..Your Thoughts?

Have a Great Hump Day & upcoming weekend. .

I always carry a few low denomination gift cards from our local grocery store in my purse.  That way when someone asks me for money for food I can give them the gift card and know they use it for food, not booze, since our stores here don't carry liquor in grocery stores.  I know they can always barter away the card for booze but I have also seen people I have given them to go right in and use them.

I come from a small town where we never saw panhandlers.  I am sure there were destitute people and hunger but I was never approached for money or saw someone sleeping on a bench.  Then we moved to a very urban area and I was approached every day.  While I am not very religious I always liked the bible verse Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.  So I started carrying what I call angel dollars and I would give one to anyone who asked me for money.  After a while I realized I had to be a little more discerning.  I think it was when one of the people I routinely gave money to was talking on their (much better than mine) cell phone about their recent trip to Barbados.  I am not even exaggerating at all!  Now I will give money or a gift card to any elderly person who asks.  Anyone who really looks like they are living on the street.  I will buy meals for people.  I even bought a bus ticket for someone who was trying to get back home.  But as much as it pains me to say I have had to become  little more judgmental.

I don't think a lottery win will encourage me to give more money on an individual basis but I probably would keep doing what I am doing.  I would also like to give money to the local shelter so people who are on the street with their pets can get healthy meals for them as well.  It would also be good to have a vet come in one day a week for a free clinic to treat the animals who need it.

Lotto Lucy

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
              nc
              United States
              Member #99520
              October 26, 2010
              375 Posts
              Posted: June 25, 2015, 7:21 am - IP Logged

Having worked with drs from NY city, they taught me not to give money to beggers.  They said it was ok to give them some fruit or a jar of peanut butter, etc. so now, I carry small bags of toiletry ktems and canned food. They ask for money, they are offered the bag. Most reject it, thise in real need, graciously accept it.  Money is given directly to those who run the shelters.  Running a restuarant, have given out a few sandwiches to those who pass by.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                Marquette, MI
                United States
                Member #20541
                August 20, 2005
                705 Posts
                Posted: June 25, 2015, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

I have given people money when I have had some and I have given people money when I was deeply in debt and could not afford to.  I even gave money to someone who didn't ask for it and was eating the last bites of food from fast food wrappers in a dumpster.

That however is over.  I will not help anyone anymore as long as the tyranny and slavery of Obamacare  is around.  From now on if anyone asks I will tell them to go ask Obama.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19817 Posts
                  Posted: June 25, 2015, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

Having worked with drs from NY city, they taught me not to give money to beggers.  They said it was ok to give them some fruit or a jar of peanut butter, etc. so now, I carry small bags of toiletry ktems and canned food. They ask for money, they are offered the bag. Most reject it, thise in real need, graciously accept it.  Money is given directly to those who run the shelters.  Running a restuarant, have given out a few sandwiches to those who pass by.

Is that canned food ready to eat straight out of the can or do they need a can opener, a stove or micro wave to prepare it?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                    Nova Scotia
                    Canada
                    Member #9934
                    December 27, 2004
                    884 Posts
                    Posted: June 25, 2015, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

I would buy the person some food and a drink, rather then give them money!

And tell them to go to certain organization's for help.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19817 Posts
                      Posted: June 25, 2015, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

I would buy the person some food and a drink, rather then give them money!

And tell them to go to certain organization's for help.

There's no reason for a person to go without food in my town, all the quick foods places have "help wanted signs" posted.  Most of their help have to work other jobs to make ends meet but they aren't going hungry.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                        Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #74096
                        May 2, 2009
                        22861 Posts
                        Posted: June 25, 2015, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

I have given people money when I have had some and I have given people money when I was deeply in debt and could not afford to.  I even gave money to someone who didn't ask for it and was eating the last bites of food from fast food wrappers in a dumpster.

That however is over.  I will not help anyone anymore as long as the tyranny and slavery of Obamacare  is around.  From now on if anyone asks I will tell them to go ask Obama.

He"s too busy trying to go out with a bang to care. He or his wife are the last people

I"d send anyone to with hunger issues. Have you seen examples of the healthy lunches

children of America are being served? They go home hungry. But, hey, someone thinks

they're healthy. Hungry doesn't matter to someone who isn't.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                          Texas Panhandle
                          United States
                          Member #136843
                          December 20, 2012
                          1262 Posts
                          Posted: June 25, 2015, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

mikeintexas -

I hear what you are saying.  Yes it is sad to have those less fortunate buy booze with the money we gift them.  On the other hand, having a life that low, sometimes the booze might just take the edge off and allow the person to get by and make it another day. 

Times are tough and its probable that many a panhandler/begger/person-down-and-out has had to swallow what little pride they had left and beg.  That's tough and would probably cause me to get a small bottle of liquid courage so that I could even look in the mirror or look up from the ground.

Would I be inclined to give?  Yes - I already do, and yes I know some buy booze, and yes it is sad that they do.  However, I GIFTED the money to them, thus making it their money to do as they choose/see fit.  I am blessed that it's not me having to beg.

As music says in a post above this, there are multiple avenues to get out of your predicament and dire straits...but most require at least a modicum of effort and a sincere desire to change your life. I worked at that liquor store while going to school and for a few yrs. afterwards and during that time saw literally hundreds and hundreds of people with alcohol problems, so I'm more than familiar with it. I watched a dozen people- who had every reason to live - literally kill themselves with booze.

"Gift"?  I didn't consider it that, but rather as a "social contract" or maybe an "interpersonal agreement".  He was hungry and he was supposed to use the money I provided to get something to eat, not a pint of vodka.  I am not going to listen to any defense of him, offering up excuses for his own excuses. "Pride"? He had none, because he was a lying, conniving con artist, probably going from town-to-town, getting drunk on the good graces of kind people who fell for his BS as I did. The worst thing is he poisoned the well of human kindness for folks like me, those wanting to do someone a good turn but instead making us suspicious of nearly anyone else asking for money "for food".

If I ever get asked for food money again, I'm going to do as others have said in this thread:  offer to buy them a meal and will only pay out the money when it's served to them. That wasn't much money I gave him, but it was equivalent to the gasoline to get me back and forth to school for a day, a meal for ME right before night class or even a week's worth of cat food...and my cat's life had more value in the grand scheme of things than did that of the human stain who lied to me just so he could get his buzz on.   Shoot, I would have had more respect for him if he'd been truthful and told me he was getting the shakes and needed a drink.

Go ahead and give guys like that money to buy booze - justify it however you like, it makes you an enabler and you're doing them no favors; if they don't get help and eventually die from their "disease", you'll have some of their blood on your hands. With my experiences from working at the liquor store, I know about that, too.

United States
                            Member #149820
                            December 9, 2013
                            644 Posts
                            Posted: June 25, 2015, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

There's no reason for a person to go without food in my town, all the quick foods places have "help wanted signs" posted.  Most of their help have to work other jobs to make ends meet but they aren't going hungry.

Do all those places also hire people with no permanent address as well, cause if they dont it doesnt matter that the sign says help wanted because they cant work there if they wanted to.

Sunny California
                              United States
                              Member #40295
                              May 31, 2006
                              7712 Posts
                              Posted: June 25, 2015, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

Huh??? Panhandlers have been around forever. There will always be people in need even 100 years from now. What's Obamacare have to with it? Makes absolutely no sense! 

Do You Want To Win Today?  http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/286011