Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 6:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you be inclined to give a Panhandler a few $$ should you hit it Big?

Topic closed. 54 replies. Last post 1 year ago by RedStang.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
Member #141034
April 2, 2013
1410 Posts
Posted: June 25, 2015, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

I have no problem helping someone who is down on their luck. However, I do have a problem being suckered by a "professional panhandler".

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

United States
    Member #158988
    September 9, 2014
    31 Posts
    Posted: June 25, 2015, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

I have given people money when I have had some and I have given people money when I was deeply in debt and could not afford to.  I even gave money to someone who didn't ask for it and was eating the last bites of food from fast food wrappers in a dumpster.

That however is over.  I will not help anyone anymore as long as the tyranny and slavery of Obamacare  is around.  From now on if anyone asks I will tell them to go ask Obama.

wOw !!

Now I've heard everything.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19831 Posts
      Posted: June 25, 2015, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I was going walking when a lady came up  to me and asked me for $20. She told me her car was out of gas at the gas station. I gave her $20 and she walked the other way of the gas station. That happened to me twice. 2 different women. 2 different times

You should have told her to use her credit card, I've never seen a women of legal age without one.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
        Member #158988
        September 9, 2014
        31 Posts
        Posted: June 25, 2015, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

Hey there dr65,

I suggest you  watch and learn a thing or two from the movie by the name of:

FED UP. It's rentable.

...and tell us all here on the board which well known actor come President went public with the statement that ketchup was a vegetable ??

(quite an embarassing) but that's how some people think.

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #165541
          April 12, 2015
          545 Posts
          Posted: June 25, 2015, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Or is it against your very nature to do so at present?

Or Perhaps you could look on your good fortune as " giving back to the community" in a small way? After all- Panhandlers are here to stay.

I ran into one a few month's back and the funny thing is that he did not ask for money, he told me he was hungry and asked me to buy him an item off the menu board.Total cost $5.00 plus- he thanked me & left. I seriously doubt l would pass him by & not "assist"  in some small way the next time I "bump" into him..Your Thoughts?

Have a Great Hump Day & upcoming weekend. .

If I win big, I will be traveling in limos, flying first class.  I will hire people to shop for me.  I will be living in a fancy house in a gated community.

I don't think I would ever see a panhandler again.

However NoiseGate, its a nice gesture, and I recommend that if you win big, that you should start a shelter for less priviledged people, another for people who dont want to work, and another for people who are generally just insane.

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #165541
            April 12, 2015
            545 Posts
            Posted: June 25, 2015, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Or is it against your very nature to do so at present?

Or Perhaps you could look on your good fortune as " giving back to the community" in a small way? After all- Panhandlers are here to stay.

I ran into one a few month's back and the funny thing is that he did not ask for money, he told me he was hungry and asked me to buy him an item off the menu board.Total cost $5.00 plus- he thanked me & left. I seriously doubt l would pass him by & not "assist"  in some small way the next time I "bump" into him..Your Thoughts?

Have a Great Hump Day & upcoming weekend. .

If I win big, I will be traveling in limos, flying first class.  I will hire people to shop for me.  I will be living in a fancy house in a gated community.  At the rear of my house will be my 100 foot yacht.  I will travel in stlye, by air and by sea.

However NoiseGate, its a nice gesture, and I recommend that if you win big, that you should start a shelter for less priviledged people, another for people who dont want to work, and another for people who are generally just insane.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4111 Posts
              Posted: June 25, 2015, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

l felt compelled to post this piece because if l did not see it for myself. ...

I just drove by a Walmart in Union City about 20 minutes ago,  and lo and behold l see this guy dressed in fatigues, a huge American Flag not 2 ft away and here he is standing with his cup..... asking for a handout..is it just me or is this going on in other States where people are decked out in fatigues, flag and all as though they have represented the Armed Forces? Anyway I called my Father who served and asked him " are Vets going this route,is the VA discouraging their own to this degree? His response , No- the folks doing this probably never served, it's nothing more than an attempt to pull at your heart strings and your pocketbook".

This is a first for me...Gee!

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10356 Posts
                Posted: June 25, 2015, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

SilverLion,

Do a search here on LP about gated communities. They may not be the Nirvana you're hoping for.

noise-gate,

The phony vets are violating a law called Stolen Valor.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

JAMORA's avatar - ladyclover
                  NC
                  United States
                  Member #164399
                  February 28, 2015
                  1940 Posts
                  Posted: June 25, 2015, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

I've seen a few work the Wal-marts parking lots regularly....especially Fridays....(folks just got paid and have the weekend off)

Yep, some folks are scamming....but If I see a true need, I have no problem giving, and it won't be up to me to judge them if they were not sincerely in need.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    49835 Posts
                    Posted: June 26, 2015, 12:55 am - IP Logged

Huh??? Panhandlers have been around forever. There will always be people in need even 100 years from now. What's Obamacare have to with it? Makes absolutely no sense! 

Unbelievable! Bang Head

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                      Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4111 Posts
                      Posted: June 26, 2015, 1:54 am - IP Logged

If I win big, I will be traveling in limos, flying first class.  I will hire people to shop for me.  I will be living in a fancy house in a gated community.

l noticed that you posted your response twice..lucky me.

Anyways your recommendations make no sense whatsoever. l mean why would l want to start a shelter, let alone three shelters when there are plenty out there to begin with?

No disrespect but your Statement  " If I win big, I will be traveling in limos, flying first class.  I will hire people to shop for me.  I will be living in a fancy house in a gated community."........ Careful what you wish for.  Do you Remember a David Edwards?

Mansions, Jets and a Fleet of Luxury Cars

Almost immediately after winning $27 million and proclaiming that he would spend the money wisely to make it last for future generations, David pretty much did the exact opposite. Before even receiving the money, David arranged a $200,000 bank loan so he could fly a group friends out to Las Vegas to celebrate. He blew the entire $200,000 in six days. In November 2001 he upgraded from a $30,000 dilapidated Kentucky house without running water to a 6000 square foot $1.5 million mansion in a gated community in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. He then proceeded to spend $1 million purchasing a fleet of luxury cars that included a $90,000 Dodge Viper and a $200,000 Lamborghini Diablo. He bought so many cars that the neighbors complained to the gated community's board of directors. Their main complaint? He owned so many cars that their posh community started to look like a car dealership.

David's other indulgences included a $600,000 to buy Palm Springs mansion, a limo company, an $80,000 gold watch, a $160,000 ring, a $30,000 plasma TV, three race horses and a collection of 200 replica medieval swords. And how was David going to travel back and forth between his mansions in Florida and California? He couldn't be expected to fly on a commercial airline like a chump, could he? Definitely not! So David spent $1.9 million on private Learjet..

Looks like Your present " Dreams" resembles David's..

As for your never seeing another Panhandler again.. Good luck with that.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
                        nc
                        United States
                        Member #99520
                        October 26, 2010
                        375 Posts
                        Posted: June 26, 2015, 5:32 am - IP Logged

Is that canned food ready to eat straight out of the can or do they need a can opener, a stove or micro wave to prepare it?

Yes, it is RTE, ready to eat, with a pop top lid. Ex, a can of spam, deviled ham, etc, with crackers, apple or banana, a pack of fig newtons for a sweet, hard candy, and a bottle of water or juice box, with any needed utensils.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19831 Posts
                          Posted: June 26, 2015, 5:37 am - IP Logged

Yes, it is RTE, ready to eat, with a pop top lid. Ex, a can of spam, deviled ham, etc, with crackers, apple or banana, a pack of fig newtons for a sweet, hard candy, and a bottle of water or juice box, with any needed utensils.

Now you got my mouth watering and I'm starting to feel hungry.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

uprrman's avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                            harvard,il
                            United States
                            Member #96756
                            September 4, 2010
                            2473 Posts
                            Posted: June 26, 2015, 10:32 am - IP Logged

Now you got my mouth watering and I'm starting to feel hungry.

that was funny RJOh Green laugh

i want to be a millionaire a second time!

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                              Texas Panhandle
                              United States
                              Member #136843
                              December 20, 2012
                              1285 Posts
                              Posted: June 26, 2015, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

Hey there dr65,

I suggest you  watch and learn a thing or two from the movie by the name of:

FED UP. It's rentable.

...and tell us all here on the board which well known actor come President went public with the statement that ketchup was a vegetable ??

(quite an embarassing) but that's how some people think.

As Reagan sometimes said: "There you go again." 

That's an urban legend (perpetuated by far-left progressive sites like MoveOn.org and partisan hacks.) and it had to do with USDA regulations on subsidized school lunches and severe budget cuts by (a Democrat-controlled) Congress to that program.  I'd explain it to you, but people learn better by reading for themselves and not having the facts (AKA the truth) spoon-fed to them, especially if they don't want to hear and accept them because it goes against their dishonest, established narrative.   (Google can be a great tool, as long as you care to use it correctly and w/out a pre-conceived bias towards finding the results you desire.) Actually, the Carter administration signed into law the first of those massive cuts and some yrs. later the Clinton administration sought to have salsa classified as a vegetable despite it being only nominally more nutritious than ketchup.  Things need to be presented in context or else you're just a liar.  Since you didn't present that in context....

So, you get your "facts" about the food industry from a movie, eh?  You probably got all your "facts" about climate change from The Day After Tomorrow, got your "facts" about the Kennedy assassination from the Oliver Stone drama JFK, and learned the historical "facts" about Vietnam from Apocalypse Now, huh?

I wonder which of the 57 states our Kenyan-born, Muslim, Marxist President is visiting next? (President Obama actually said those things, "admitted" to them, unlike Reagan and the ketchup quote...but I'm taking what Obama said out of context.  See? Two can play that game!)