Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you be inclined to give a Panhandler a few $$ should you hit it Big?

Topic closed. 54 replies. Last post 1 year ago by RedStang.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
new jersey
United States
Member #150815
December 31, 2013
513 Posts
Posted: June 26, 2015, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

i  agree

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
    Gurnee, Illinois
    United States
    Member #49731
    February 12, 2007
    917 Posts
    Posted: July 4, 2015, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

I see scam panhandlers at every highway off ramp intersection in Arizona and Chicago. I do not give anything since majority of them look perfectly capable of working. I am amused when I see those with signs saying they just lost their job and need help, yet I pass by several stores nearby that have Help Wanted signs posted on entrance door. No I will not give one red cent when they could go get a job.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4111 Posts
      Posted: July 4, 2015, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

I see scam panhandlers at every highway off ramp intersection in Arizona and Chicago. I do not give anything since majority of them look perfectly capable of working. I am amused when I see those with signs saying they just lost their job and need help, yet I pass by several stores nearby that have Help Wanted signs posted on entrance door. No I will not give one red cent when they could go get a job.

You looking at it all the wrong way OSP...

***    "l am amused when I see those with signs saying they lost their job and need Help.".. notice that they not saying they need another Job, why? Because being a Panhandler is a Job to them.

** * "  I do not give anything since majority of them look perfectly capable of working. "..They ARE working, they working on you and l to get us to give them something.

***  " yet I pass by several stores nearby that have Help Wanted signs posted on entrance door"- that's not helpful to them, why? because they will have to wait a week or two to get paid and if they hungry, and they need cash Now.. right?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #149492
        December 2, 2013
        919 Posts
        Posted: July 4, 2015, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

I work in Downtown LA, and there's this one particular panhandler, that has a white bracelet and says he's just been released from county jail, and if I could help out.  I've seen him off and on for 3 months and says that same crap every time I pass him by.  When I say, "sorry, I don't have anything," he just starts cursing.  Pathetic.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
          NY
          United States
          Member #121961
          January 21, 2012
          3157 Posts
          Posted: July 4, 2015, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Your right. Their useless and lazy now. I remember back in the late 80s driving through NYC, people would clean your windows for a cigarette or a buck.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4111 Posts
            Posted: July 4, 2015, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Your right. Their useless and lazy now. I remember back in the late 80s driving through NYC, people would clean your windows for a cigarette or a buck.

Just an observation: Not taking sides..

They would call you insensitive for saying they useless and Lazy. For one they out there in all types of weather plying their " trade". What you remember back in the 80's does not work for them anymore. No one wants them bringing a sponge & soapy fluid to their windows at intersections, they have evolved. They have changed with the times from your experience to going for the " cardboard message" and just outright asking for money, if they get a No, no biggie- they move on to the next person. These guys know how to adapt.

Image result for panhandlers  Image result for panhandlers

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1186 Posts
              Posted: July 7, 2015, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

You're welxome. You know in the end I do believe we are blessed to be a blessing... But we are to still have common sense

I think that's one of the most poignant and beautiful sentiments I've seen on LP. "We are blessed to be a blessing". Thank you for that.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                Member #142499
                May 13, 2013
                1186 Posts
                Posted: July 7, 2015, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Guess I see things in a different light. For the most part I don't think it's my place to judge them (except for the ones who are obviously conmen. Remember that basketball player's wife who sat on cardboard at a street corner and proclaimed loudly that her husband was divorcing her and leaving her with nothing and was going to be homeless? Meanwhile she was wearing a Neiman Marcus track suit, had a thousand dollar weave in and at the end of the day drove away in a Mercedes). I'm not feeling sorry for her or for people like Melissa Berkelhammer. They can rot. Those people I will judge. 

But for people really down on their luck, I give whenever I can. Because I know, there but for the grace of God go I. There are so many families one paycheck away from homelessness, so many ex-vets who were too traumatized after being in war zones to assimilate back into society, so many who had to choose between medical treatments and paying rent.  I don't want those who are truly suffering to be painted with the same brush as those who are running a scam.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19831 Posts
                  Posted: July 7, 2015, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

Contributing money to poor folks just because you won a lottery jackpot is a bad idea mainly because ungrateful people (which include most folks) see your lottery winnings as unearned money which they deserve as much as you and they can never be given enough.

I remember reading when Jack Whittaker of Virginia won the PB jackpot and brought his favorite waitress a house so she could move from her trailer, she complained all he did was up her cost of living with no future way of supporting it.  She said her real estate taxes was up, cost of maintaining her home was up and she still had the same job.  She thought the cheap Ba.*?@d should have at least included a yearly allowance to maintain new new life style.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                    NY
                    United States
                    Member #121961
                    January 21, 2012
                    3157 Posts
                    Posted: July 7, 2015, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

Just an observation: Not taking sides..

They would call you insensitive for saying they useless and Lazy. For one they out there in all types of weather plying their " trade". What you remember back in the 80's does not work for them anymore. No one wants them bringing a sponge & soapy fluid to their windows at intersections, they have evolved. They have changed with the times from your experience to going for the " cardboard message" and just outright asking for money, if they get a No, no biggie- they move on to the next person. These guys know how to adapt.

Image result for panhandlers  Image result for panhandlers

When i say useless & lazy I'm only referring to certain people like the addict who was standing there with a single mom sign and john 3:16 written below and couldn't  keep her eyes open because she looked like she was going through a major withdrawl. I was going to offer her food but i know she wanted cash.

You're right, times have changed. Older folks use cardboard while the younger generation uses Gofundme, lol.