Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's the best of way of picking numbers?

Topic closed. 61 replies. Last post 12 months ago by myturn.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

What's the best of way of picking numbers?

Special dates [ 2 ]  [3.33%]
Lottery terminal quick picks [ 8 ]  [13.33%]
Online RNGs [ 2 ]  [3.33%]
Pure Randomness [ 10 ]  [16.67%]
Lottery research [ 27 ]  [45.00%]
Doesn't matter [ 6 ]  [10.00%]
Doesn't matter because you're not going to win [ 5 ]  [8.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 60 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 8 ]  
Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
Texas
United States
Member #150797
December 31, 2013
815 Posts
Posted: December 1, 2015, 8:54 am - IP Logged

There is a site called Random.org that generates random numbers using atmospheric noise from telescope arrays -- supposedly has been analyzed and no patterns detected.  It will generate Quick Picks for any matrix/number of picks you specify.

Personally, I like to try to match the usual "signature" of the lottery -- e.g. usually first digit comes from this group, 2nd digit from that group (or whatever) -- but with some randomness injected into the number choices in each constrained slot on the ticket.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
    Texas Panhandle
    United States
    Member #136843
    December 20, 2012
    1281 Posts
    Posted: December 1, 2015, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

I used to use fortune cookie numbers, but every time I did I bought another line 30 minutes later.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3300 Posts
      Posted: December 2, 2015, 3:23 am - IP Logged

There is a site called Random.org that generates random numbers using atmospheric noise from telescope arrays -- supposedly has been analyzed and no patterns detected.  It will generate Quick Picks for any matrix/number of picks you specify.

Personally, I like to try to match the usual "signature" of the lottery -- e.g. usually first digit comes from this group, 2nd digit from that group (or whatever) -- but with some randomness injected into the number choices in each constrained slot on the ticket.

i often use random.org to pick  numbers, but i do a list and just toss out any repeats till i have every number covered.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #74096
        May 2, 2009
        22963 Posts
        Posted: December 2, 2015, 10:04 am - IP Logged

I've been thinking about this for awhile. While most people play and win with QPs from lottery terminals; you have no control over the numbers you're given. After all they could have come up in a previous drawing. I like to check my numbers on USA Mega (shameless plug) before playing them in a lottery. I don't like to play special dates like birthdays because it raises the chances of sharing a jackpot. I've been trying to research numbers with RNGs but have found patterns in the numbers because they use algorithms to produce combinations. I've mention before that I used to do lottery research by using past drawing results. However, I didn't have all that much luck and it drove me crazy. I've decided that the best way to pick numbers is pure randomness. I now choose my numbers by doing my own lottery drawings for MM and PB; bonus ball included. I want raw randomness like lottery drawings. What are your thoughts on this subject? Got my truck serviced and now heading to Illinois. Good luck to those playing Powerball tonight!

If I play, I play quick picks unless it's our PA Treasure Hunt. JP games I usually hate unless the bug bites me to play which is

rarely or just when the jp is high. I really hate those games so I try and stay away from them but the BIG $ is tempting..it can

happen to anyone.

Sometimes I'll mark the playslip with a self chosen number and let the comp fill in the rest or just simply ask for qp's.

Do you travel in a lot of states? Maybe you could get one each time you're in a different state for extended draws...one play

for a few weeks maybe? Just remember not to toss it after the first draw. Maybe you won't need it beyond that Banana GL!!

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

Luminus's avatar - ouskuu

United States
          Member #51269
          April 3, 2007
          529 Posts
          Posted: December 2, 2015, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

I've recently created an Excel program that automates everything for me, randomizing a set of numbers I've selected to play.  The program auto adds a power Power Number (key number) to play each game.  Sometimes this is random; sometimes I choose the Power Number.  No need to purchase any silly wheels or extraneous programs that claim guaranteed wins.  I've programmed several games into it, so far.

Lincoln, California
            United States
            Member #167130
            June 27, 2015
            256 Posts
            Posted: December 2, 2015, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

With a Quick Pick win is only Luck.  I prefer to pick my own Numbers.  I believe in Divide and Conquer.  I use a system in which 2 groups of numbers are set by the previous draw.  I track the number of hits from each group and try to predict the Next numbers by getting the count right.  I posted the sequence in the Mathmatics Forum. 

If I win I will feel like I worked for the Prize.

United States
              Member #169365
              October 13, 2015
              135 Posts
              Posted: December 2, 2015, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

I think it's foolish to ignore trends. 

But, I don''t abandon QPs entirely.  If I do play QPs, I will also mark up a slip with those numbers and shift numbers around (like one or 2 rows/columns each).

I think there's a balance to trusting your gut feeling, as well.

There always seems to be some sense to the drawn numbers (with maybe the exception of an all high (or low) draw).  The goal is to try to make sense of them prior to the draw.  I haven't quite figured that part out . . .yet.  Stretch

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
                Greenville, SC
                United States
                Member #169870
                November 4, 2015
                374 Posts
                Posted: December 2, 2015, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I'm all over the eastern part of the country. I play MM, PB(I use my own numbers), Ohio's classic lotto, MO Lotto, Hoosier Lotto, Lotto Texas, Georgia's Jumbo Bucks, and Hot Lotto which is another multi-state game but smaller. I buy my tickets (quick picks) in bulk--for a lot of draws. I just bought 2 lines of Hot Lotto that will last me until Christmas. I'm somewhere in Oklahoma on my way to Texas. I need to load up on Lotto Texas tickets. I'd like to buy some Florida Lotto tickets but I hardly ever get there.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

United States
                  Member #106134
                  February 13, 2011
                  806 Posts
                  Posted: December 4, 2015, 8:35 am - IP Logged

Always play trends (back to back number pairs) in MM or PB.  Trends have never lost, not once, ever.  It's foolproof.  The hard part is picking the right pair and the right +1 ball.

United States
                    Member #169365
                    October 13, 2015
                    135 Posts
                    Posted: December 4, 2015, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

A couple examples of trends:

In almost every JP draw, at least 2 of the drawn numbers have come up within the past 10-12 draws.  To further expand on that, 4 of the numbers will be repeats from within the past 20-25 draws.

In almost every JP draw, 3 of the drawn numbers will be within 5 digits (or less) from the previous drawn number sequence.

In almost every JP draw, at least 1 or 2 of the single-digit-weights of the numbers repeat.  example: 5-7-25-50-59 +12 (the 5's repeated)  Some draws you'll have 3 of them repeat (produces a 3-digit sequence for the draw).  In some draws, none will repeat (produces a 6-digit sequence).  This does little to help you narrow down the 10's positions.  But, no draw has ever consisted of just 1 or 2 single-digit weights showing in the sequence (same as saying 5 or 6 of the single-digit weights were repeats within the same draw).

~8% of draws will have an exact repeat in back-to-back draws.  This number goes down proportionately to the count of white balls in the matrix.  Another thing that can be observed is the that the repeats seem to happen in clustered groups.  10-15 draws will go by with no repeats, then all of sudden there'll be 3 consecutive draws with repeats.  Sometimes there's even a three-peat or double repeat thrown into that clustered group. 

Actual MB/PB repeats seem to be ~3% (regardless of the PB/PB count in the matrix).  The same percentage applies to MB/PB matching a white ball within the same draw.

These are trends that can be tracked.  No speculation here.  Just the cold-hard facts.

If you want proof that the lotteries don't want you playing trends just look at the fact that none of the JP games (at least in CA) allow you to manually select several white balls and have QP select the balance.  Sure, you can isolate the white ball and PB/MB QPs as an option, but not within the white ball selection.

Luminus's avatar - ouskuu

United States
                      Member #51269
                      April 3, 2007
                      529 Posts
                      Posted: December 4, 2015, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

In almost every JP draw, at least 2 of the drawn numbers have come up within the past 10-12 draws.  To further expand on that, 4 of the numbers will be repeats from within the past 20-25 draws.

In almost every JP draw, 3 of the drawn numbers will be within 5 digits (or less) from the previous drawn number sequence.

In almost every JP draw, at least 1 or 2 of the single-digit-weights of the numbers repeat.  example: 5-7-25-50-59 +12 (the 5's repeated)  Some draws you'll have 3 of them repeat (produces a 3-digit sequence for the draw).  In some draws, none will repeat (produces a 6-digit sequence).  This does little to help you narrow down the 10's positions.  But, no draw has ever consisted of just 1 or 2 single-digit weights showing in the sequence (same as saying 5 or 6 of the single-digit weights were repeats within the same draw).

~8% of draws will have an exact repeat in back-to-back draws.  This number goes down proportionately to the count of white balls in the matrix.  Another thing that can be observed is the that the repeats seem to happen in clustered groups.  10-15 draws will go by with no repeats, then all of sudden there'll be 3 consecutive draws with repeats.  Sometimes there's even a three-peat or double repeat thrown into that clustered group. 

Actual MB/PB repeats seem to be ~3% (regardless of the PB/PB count in the matrix).  The same percentage applies to MB/PB matching a white ball within the same draw.

These are trends that can be tracked.  No speculation here.  Just the cold-hard facts.

If you want proof that the lotteries don't want you playing trends just look at the fact that none of the JP games (at least in CA) allow you to manually select several white balls and have QP select the balance.  Sure, you can isolate the white ball and PB/MB QPs as an option, but not within the white ball selection.

Are you claiming that you can defeat the lottery, if I gave you a way to manually choose several white balls and have the balance randomized?

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4795 Posts
                        Posted: December 4, 2015, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

I used to use fortune cookie numbers, but every time I did I bought another line 30 minutes later.

Lol

J'aime La France.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                          South Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #77167
                          July 15, 2009
                          556 Posts
                          Posted: December 4, 2015, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

Sure, you can isolate the white ball and PB/MB QPs as an option, but not within the white ball selection.

I bought some MM tickets today.  In one space I selected 2 numbers, marked it qp and got a ticket with 2 numbers I picked, 3 random numbers and a random MB.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

United States
                            Member #169365
                            October 13, 2015
                            135 Posts
                            Posted: December 5, 2015, 12:00 am - IP Logged

Sure, you can isolate the white ball and PB/MB QPs as an option, but not within the white ball selection.

I bought some MM tickets today.  In one space I selected 2 numbers, marked it qp and got a ticket with 2 numbers I picked, 3 random numbers and a random MB.

I've tried it on all 3 JP games in CA and the slips get rejected.  Don't let on to your lottery or they might get wiser.  LOL

I think it's a great way to narrow the odds and wish CA Lottery allowed it.  You still have to have a crap load of luck to guess the repeats, but its definitely better than playing completely random QPs.  Out of curiosity, I wonder if the remaining numbers they QP'ed for you were 'cold'.

United States
                              Member #169365
                              October 13, 2015
                              135 Posts
                              Posted: December 5, 2015, 12:15 am - IP Logged

Are you claiming that you can defeat the lottery, if I gave you a way to manually choose several white balls and have the balance randomized?

If I could do that, I'd be off spending $$$ wads of cash.  LOL 

There are QP generators on the internet that are free, will do what you're saying, and will also allow you to define 'rejections' (cold numbers).

All I'm doing is looking at past results.  All JP games follow the same order of randomness.  Spit out past results (say 100 draws) for ANY JP game and you'll see the same applies to ALL of them. 

You can even see trends across different JP games.  Example: Many times the same numbers (sometimes more than one) come up between MB, PB and CA's SLP (this includes MB/PB matches).