Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

After your big win, would you...??

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Grovel.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would you go on "Lottery Changed My Life?"

Yes [ 2 ]  [3.57%]
No [ 51 ]  [91.07%]
Undecided [ 3 ]  [5.36%]
Total Valid Votes [ 56 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
travelintrucker's avatar - morph
Greenville, SC
United States
Member #169870
November 4, 2015
374 Posts
Posted: December 5, 2015, 7:49 am - IP Logged

I was thinking about this while I was driving over night. Also, what do you think of the winners that go on that show? A lot of them I've never heard of. It seems to me that they are asking for people to come after their windfall.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    42157 Posts
    Posted: December 5, 2015, 7:53 am - IP Logged

NO WAY, I would lay very low for a very long time.

HyperBe Happy.

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
      Texas
      United States
      Member #150797
      December 31, 2013
      822 Posts
      Posted: December 5, 2015, 8:15 am - IP Logged

ABSOLUTELY NOT! 

I can't understand why people would want to be on that show (or more generally, be on TV).  They must be extremely needy or attention-seekers. 

It is especially hard to understand when some of them have had death threats or have had to move to a larger town to avoid attention.  And then they go on TV and ignite the attention all over again???

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
        Member #121745
        January 16, 2012
        4987 Posts
        Posted: December 5, 2015, 8:22 am - IP Logged

I agree. No way!!!

J'aime La France.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
          Happy California
          United States
          Member #157856
          August 2, 2014
          1550 Posts
          Posted: December 5, 2015, 10:53 am - IP Logged

Like author and journalist Don McNay says, "Do not flash your cash in public". Most wealthy people are not in the news talking about their money. They value privacy.

I will stay here on LP when I win. I will play different lottery games.

I know that LP founder and our fearless leader Todd Northrop recommends to winners that they should mention www.lotterypost.com and www.usamega.com.  I plan to give the Lottery office a written statement with those websites on it. I will contact Todd before cashing in my winning ticket.

I will take a few weeks to get my ducks in order before I cash in. I will wait until the new year.Smile

Chi ha danari, trova cugini. (He who has money finds many cousins.) Italian proverb

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
            Member #106923
            February 27, 2011
            479 Posts
            Posted: December 5, 2015, 11:40 am - IP Logged

Like author and journalist Don McNay says, "Do not flash your cash in public". Most wealthy people are not in the news talking about their money. They value privacy.

I know that LP founder and our fearless leader Todd Northrop recommends to winners that they should mention www.lotterypost.com and www.usamega.com.  I plan to give the Lottery office a written statement with those websites on it. I will contact Todd before cashing in my winning ticket.

I will take a few weeks to get my ducks in order before I cash in. I will wait until the new year.Smile

I will contact Todd before cashing in my winning ticket.

'Hey Todd, I just won $312 million in the lottery, but I don't want you to tell anyone.  I know it would be great for your LP site and all, a member winning the big one, but I would appreciate you keeping this on the low down. '  Poke

We would know if you won, music, because your avatar would have a flashy gold tooth!

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23352 Posts
              Posted: December 5, 2015, 11:40 am - IP Logged

Thumbs Up Smile

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                Member #169365
                October 13, 2015
                135 Posts
                Posted: December 5, 2015, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

Step 1: crap pants

Step 2: tell no one

Step 3: form LLC

Step 4: get paid anonymously

Step 5: repeat step 2 or get used to telling one "no"

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                  Member #142499
                  May 13, 2013
                  1200 Posts
                  Posted: December 5, 2015, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

ABSOLUTELY NOT! 

I can't understand why people would want to be on that show (or more generally, be on TV).  They must be extremely needy or attention-seekers. 

It is especially hard to understand when some of them have had death threats or have had to move to a larger town to avoid attention.  And then they go on TV and ignite the attention all over again???

I agree. It makes as much sense as those people who've won and have then publicly claimed that winning was a curse, but who then still buy tickets. 

On the one hand, I can't stand those who say they've had to move or hire security because they are in fear for their lives, but then do everything they can to keep themselves in the limelight. On the other hand, I'm glad they love the attention that much because it allows us to learn from their mistakes.

When I win, I'd probably do a blog under an assumed name. I won't disclose where I reside or anything that would be identifiable, but I would like to put information out there re each step I took and advice I received. Tell candidly about the good and the bad and answer questions for others.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Baton Rouge, LA
                    United States
                    Member #4602
                    May 7, 2004
                    700 Posts
                    Posted: December 5, 2015, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

NO WAY, I would lay very low for a very long time.

I'd do the same thing. I'd probably claim the prize as a trust and then basically not do anything for a while until the excitement has died down. Then I'd make changes like quitting my job, moving, and starting a new life. I never seek the limelight, I just want to mind my own business and live my life in peace.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #150797
                      December 31, 2013
                      822 Posts
                      Posted: December 6, 2015, 7:25 am - IP Logged

Very interesting poll.  You rarely see unanimity on any issue on LP, but we all seem to be united on this one!

Teddi,

Very sweet of you to plan to offer your experience and advice to other future winners.  I have often thought that I would grant an interview to Todd, under guarantee of anonymity, of course.  LP'ers would like to know that one of their own is a winner.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #130754
                        July 23, 2012
                        199 Posts
                        Posted: December 6, 2015, 7:37 pm - IP Logged
                        No way. Let me fade away into obscurity.
                          Naples, Florida
                          United States
                          Member #136981
                          December 23, 2012
                          43 Posts
                          Posted: December 6, 2015, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

I definitely would not appear on the show, wouldn't want the attention after winning any sum of money.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                            Member #118609
                            November 4, 2011
                            1076 Posts
                            Posted: December 6, 2015, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

No way.  I love to watch other winners on the show just to see how their lives have changed.  What their lives were like before the win.  I am also nosey in seeing what they are doing with their good fortune in who and how they help.  Some of the shows are mild to wild. 

I am already rethinking that big nice house.  Although acreage and property i wont give up on, but with the big house comes extra heating, cooling, cleaning, etc. the jury is still out on that but at least I am giving it thought. 

My wants and needs have changed dramatically as I get older.  Security and privacy are at the top of my list now.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                              Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4146 Posts
                              Posted: December 6, 2015, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

Sure why not! Nothing like exposing yourself to every con man, grifter & snake oil salesmen.What harm could that do?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.