Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

After your big win, would you...??

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 1 year ago by Grovel.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would you go on "Lottery Changed My Life?"

Yes [ 2 ]  [3.57%]
No [ 51 ]  [91.07%]
Undecided [ 3 ]  [5.36%]
Total Valid Votes [ 56 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
travelintrucker's avatar - morph
Greenville, SC
United States
Member #169870
November 4, 2015
374 Posts
Posted: December 6, 2015, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

I agree with a Todd interview and telling fellow LP members.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

Greenville, SC
    United States
    Member #169870
    November 4, 2015
    374 Posts
    Posted: December 6, 2015, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

They should do a "Lottery Changed My Life: Years Later" I'd like to see what has happened to people after their appearance on the show.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7344 Posts
      Posted: December 7, 2015, 12:18 am - IP Logged

Sure why not! Nothing like exposing yourself to every con man, grifter & snake oil salesmen.What harm could that do?

I thought discussion was over when Tia pointed the "no" votes were pitching a shutout.

loonasee2's avatar - Lottery-040.jpg
        Blue Sky Fly
        United States
        Member #95128
        August 4, 2010
        13137 Posts
        Posted: December 7, 2015, 4:34 am - IP Logged

It's not the big one ,but a couple years back a lady in Liverpool ,NY had won $250.000.00,she was all over the local news. Two knuckleheads came into her house and roughed her up  ,looking for the money,sending the lady to the hospital ,and she hadn't even received the check . Knuckleheads were caught and arrested , lady healed up and was sorry she ever went public about her new fortune ,which quickly became her "misfortune".

Scared

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
          Texas
          United States
          Member #150797
          December 31, 2013
          822 Posts
          Posted: December 7, 2015, 7:28 am - IP Logged

It's not the big one ,but a couple years back a lady in Liverpool ,NY had won $250.000.00,she was all over the local news. Two knuckleheads came into her house and roughed her up  ,looking for the money,sending the lady to the hospital ,and she hadn't even received the check . Knuckleheads were caught and arrested , lady healed up and was sorry she ever went public about her new fortune ,which quickly became her "misfortune".

I think lone women and the elderly have to be especially careful in this regard, as the aforementioned "knuckleheads" probably see them as easy game.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7344 Posts
            Posted: December 7, 2015, 11:40 am - IP Logged

They should do a "Lottery Changed My Life: Years Later" I'd like to see what has happened to people after their appearance on the show.

Considering not one LP member voted "yes", only 1 was undecided, and there are several threads discussing claiming jackpot prizes anonymously, do you really think it's a good idea to have a "Years Later" show?

United States
              Member #106134
              February 13, 2011
              806 Posts
              Posted: December 7, 2015, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

I voted yes because lottery winners are so common anyway that no one would bother me I don't think. 

They wouldn't even want me on the show I think.  That show is about people that actually SPEND their lottery winnings and buy things people can "Oooh" and "Ahhh" over.  There would be nothing too exciting about a winner buying a $200,000 condo and maybe a $40,000 car and then just sitting on their money living modestly off the returns of their investments.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                Member #106923
                February 27, 2011
                479 Posts
                Posted: December 7, 2015, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

I agree with a Todd interview and telling fellow LP members.

A Todd interview is one thing, but telling fellow LP members... are you sure all of the thousands of members on here are pure of heart, travelintrucker?

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3501 Posts
                  Posted: December 7, 2015, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

"I can't understand why people would want to be on that show"

Just because somebody wins the lottery doesn't mean they're not a loser. People like David Lee Edwards are missing a lot more from their lives than just money, and they'll jump at any chance for some attention, especially if they think it's positive attention.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10392 Posts
                    Posted: December 9, 2015, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

He's missing a lot more from his life alright;

Powerball winner dies alone and penniless in hospice at 58, 12 years after he scooped - and blew - $27MILLION jackpot

• David Lee Edwards, 58, died Saturday in hospice care in his hometown of Ashland, Kentucky, after blowing through $27million in five years
                    • Daughter says there is 'NO MONEY anywhere!!!' leftover from the lottery winnings
                    • Edwards spent $12million in his first year as a millionaire
                    • Bought cars, a $1.5million house and even a LearJet
                    • He and wife Shawna 'contracted hepatitis from habitual drug use'
                    • Shawna left him in 2008 after all of his money disappeared

By Michael Zennie

[b]Published: 12:38 EST, 3 December 2013 | Updated: 13:58 EST, 3 December 2013[/b]

[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2517550/Powerball-winner-David-Lee-Edwards-dies-penniless-12-years-scored-27million-jackpot.html#ixzz3trjywyPw[/url] 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Greenville, SC
                      United States
                      Member #169870
                      November 4, 2015
                      374 Posts
                      Posted: December 9, 2015, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

Good idea? Yes and no. Yes, it'd be nice to see how lottery winners that were previously on the show are doing now--better or worse. For instance, Brad Duke. I'd like to see how he's doing. Was he on a lottery show? And no, Some winners probably wouldn't want the extra publicity. They probably learned their lesson the first time around.

Greenville, SC
                        United States
                        Member #169870
                        November 4, 2015
                        374 Posts
                        Posted: December 9, 2015, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to think so. However, you never really know anyone.

wisconsin
                          United States
                          Member #130754
                          July 23, 2012
                          199 Posts
                          Posted: December 9, 2015, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

He's missing a lot more from his life alright;

Powerball winner dies alone and penniless in hospice at 58, 12 years after he scooped - and blew - $27MILLION jackpot

• David Lee Edwards, 58, died Saturday in hospice care in his hometown of Ashland, Kentucky, after blowing through $27million in five years
                          • Daughter says there is 'NO MONEY anywhere!!!' leftover from the lottery winnings
                          • Edwards spent $12million in his first year as a millionaire
                          • Bought cars, a $1.5million house and even a LearJet
                          • He and wife Shawna 'contracted hepatitis from habitual drug use'
                          • Shawna left him in 2008 after all of his money disappeared

By Michael Zennie

[b]Published: 12:38 EST, 3 December 2013 | Updated: 13:58 EST, 3 December 2013[/b]

[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2517550/Powerball-winner-David-Lee-Edwards-dies-penniless-12-years-scored-27million-jackpot.html#ixzz3trjywyPw[/url] 

The guy was making $85,000 a month on a conservative investment plan without even touching the principal.

Disapprove

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7344 Posts
                            Posted: December 9, 2015, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

Good idea? Yes and no. Yes, it'd be nice to see how lottery winners that were previously on the show are doing now--better or worse. For instance, Brad Duke. I'd like to see how he's doing. Was he on a lottery show? And no, Some winners probably wouldn't want the extra publicity. They probably learned their lesson the first time around.

One out of 41 LP voters said they would appear on the show so I was just asking why you're swimming against the tide. Just the fact you want to know what jackpot winners are doing and have done with their winning is the reason the more vocal LP members are demanding total anonymity.

Sounds like a severe case of jackpot envy to me.

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
                              Oregon
                              United States
                              Member #168137
                              August 17, 2015
                              125 Posts
                              Posted: December 10, 2015, 12:54 am - IP Logged

I am a little sad to think there may not ever be a show like "Lottery Changed My Life" again, though. I really did enjoyed watching it.

I still wouldn't do it if I ever won, but I'd sure tune in to watch other folks if they did!