Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I think that powerball has crossed the line what do you think?

Topic closed. 83 replies. Last post 11 months ago by cbr$.

Page 1 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
ozone park
United States
Member #57042
December 15, 2007
274 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2016, 11:38 am - IP Logged

I think that lottery has now crossed a line that is not only bad but is going to hurt whoever wins this pot. We are treading on waters we never been before and this lottery is going to hurt the person(s) that win it with amounts this high. Their lives are going to be in danger, their families lives are going to be in danger, people are going to think they have rights to that money and it is just very dangerous. I hope that whoever wins it sells it to a conglomerate, like they did in Connecticut,  They sold the ticket for a fraction of the money and walked away with a set amount and their anonymity and to this day no one knows who won that jackpot. 

In the UK the people protested by not buying tickets when the jackpot got to high last month because they said it was too much money and they would rather have more winners winning less money and os they all protested by not buying tickets. But of cause that will never happen here because we do not fight for principles. I predict nothing but hell for whoever wins this jackpot and I feel for them. I really do.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
    Member #164603
    March 8, 2015
    604 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2016, 11:40 am - IP Logged

I think that lottery has now crossed a line that is not only bad but is going to hurt whoever wins this pot. We are treading on waters we never been before and this lottery is going to hurt the person(s) that win it with amounts this high. Their lives are going to be in danger, their families lives are going to be in danger, people are going to think they have rights to that money and it is just very dangerous. I hope that whoever wins it sells it to a conglomerate, like they did in Connecticut,  They sold the ticket for a fraction of the money and walked away with a set amount and their anonymity and to this day no one knows who won that jackpot. 

In the UK the people protested by not buying tickets when the jackpot got to high last month because they said it was too much money and they would rather have more winners winning less money and os they all protested by not buying tickets. But of cause that will never happen here because we do not fight for principles. I predict nothing but hell for whoever wins this jackpot and I feel for them. I really do.

I don't believe any one in the UK voted with their wallets on that one. Especially since the winners can stay anonymous.

Maryland
      United States
      Member #162434
      January 2, 2015
      887 Posts
      Posted: January 10, 2016, 11:41 am - IP Logged

I think PB & MM have both gone too far with the ODDS TO WIN the jackpot.  Their greed for more money will be their downfall. 

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5595 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2016, 11:48 am - IP Logged

You forget that PB made the changes because sales were way down because.........someone was winning too often therefore jackpots were not growing high enough.

Geez dude, ya just can't have it both ways. You realize there were 28 second prize winners last night. There goes the sorry argument that there should be multiple winners of a million dollars. Don't you think they're kinda happy? I would be.

If ya don't like the way it's set up, no one is forcing you to drop a measly $2 for a chance at millions, or second prize.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5595 Posts
          Posted: January 10, 2016, 11:51 am - IP Logged

I think PB & MM have both gone too far with the ODDS TO WIN the jackpot.  Their greed for more money will be their downfall. 

It's not about greed. It's about trying to regain sales that were dropping because jackpots were being won too often.

Personally, I'm in every draw regardless of the jackpot size because second prize would life changing for me.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
            Greenville, SC
            United States
            Member #169870
            November 4, 2015
            374 Posts
            Posted: January 10, 2016, 11:51 am - IP Logged

I see where you are coming from. However, I think rcbbuckeye is right. They are trying to raise money for worthy causes and sales have been down.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

ozone park
              United States
              Member #57042
              December 15, 2007
              274 Posts
              Posted: January 10, 2016, 11:53 am - IP Logged

28 second prize winners when more than 400 million tickets were played that seems to be a bad disparity and I predict that powerball will be forced to either go back to their plan before they changed it or change this format to something else but it cannot stay this way. So now 1 billion is the new million and no one is going to pay unless it gets that high. Just sounds way to greedy for me and I still think that no one is really ready to hit and win this kind of money.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #150273
                December 18, 2013
                495 Posts
                Posted: January 10, 2016, 11:58 am - IP Logged

I have been out of the loop for awhile but what changes did PB make?

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                  Member #164603
                  March 8, 2015
                  604 Posts
                  Posted: January 10, 2016, 11:59 am - IP Logged

I have been out of the loop for awhile but what changes did PB make?

More balls, harder to win.

Now 1:292 000 000

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                    Member #121745
                    January 16, 2012
                    4788 Posts
                    Posted: January 10, 2016, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

I hope there will be at least 5 winners of the jp. I agree about the serious danger especially if one person wins. I am playing but find myself saying, as with the record mm a few years ago, please Do Not let me win the jp....I aim for 2nd place only.  I feel that it is amazing to see  a jp of over a billion, but I also worry for a single winner.

I never thought I would say this, but that high a jp is too much. I think this may backfire in some way.

J'aime La France.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #150273
                      December 18, 2013
                      495 Posts
                      Posted: January 10, 2016, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

Oh wow..no wonder the JP has grown soo big. I was wondering what was going on. I think they should have made it where there are more winners..not one big winner here and there as it appears now. I stopped playing for awhile given it just seemed impossible to win before the changes..plus don't like having my  name plastered everywhere with having kids if i did win it. I have been playing again since it climbed, but i had no clue why it was climbing like it was....very unfortunate that PB has taken this greedy turn on adding more balls IMO

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

United States
                        Member #106134
                        February 13, 2011
                        806 Posts
                        Posted: January 10, 2016, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

Yeah if the winner is not from an anonymous state, they are going to become more popular overnight than Justin Bieber, Kim Kardashian, Beyoncé, Miley Cyrus, Angelina Jolie, and Taylor Swift all combined. LOL

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                          Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23262 Posts
                          Posted: January 10, 2016, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

I'll risk the "injury" of winning this Powerball jackpot.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                            Beautiful Florida
                            United States
                            Member #5709
                            July 18, 2004
                            20110 Posts
                            Posted: January 10, 2016, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

And what line have we crossed, that we haven't crossed before?  There are always going to be elements of the unknown if it's never been charted before

But what line are you speaking of? The dangers? No matter what size the prize you'll always have the dangers of exposure....

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

United States
                              Member #106134
                              February 13, 2011
                              806 Posts
                              Posted: January 10, 2016, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

I'll risk the "injury" of winning this Powerball jackpot.

With that big of a jackpot, you could afford security just as good or better as Obama has right now lol