Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I think that powerball has crossed the line what do you think?

Topic closed. 83 replies. Last post 1 year ago by cbr$.

Page 3 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
ozone park
United States
Member #57042
December 15, 2007
274 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2016, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

I believe that this could be disastrous results in the end once this jackpot is over people will get frustrated and not buy like they used to when they realize the odds and how it is almost impossible. I think back to Abraham and Whitaker 2 people that should have never won the lottery who changed so many peoples lives for the worse and one who is dead and the other who wishes he was dead. I know that most people just care about the bottom line but not everyone is built to have money. I know this first hand. I have lived it and have dictated it very well in my life. But I am the exception not the rule. It is just facts that spell out trouble if people do not know hot to handle themselves. Good luck though.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #150273
    December 18, 2013
    495 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2016, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

OMG Teddy, nobody here has the ability to infringe on you or your choices...people are merely sharing their opinions lighten up. Why do you have to make your responses soo personal towards other posters opinions and take the attitude like they have some power or authority over yours...geesh!!...these are merely opinions.. thoughts on the matter being shared nothing more.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

Romancandle's avatar - moon
      Upacreek
      United States
      Member #136306
      December 8, 2012
      431 Posts
      Posted: January 10, 2016, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

If they do that.  People will stop buying lottery ticket and lose interest fast.  People love to see Record to be broken?

It's like Star Wars Broke Avatar Record?

People used to get excited at 200 million JP's, now it may take approaching or exceeding 1 Billion to do that.

JP fatigue in not good for players or the game... more matrix changes Puke

-RC

United States
        Member #149995
        December 14, 2013
        47 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2016, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

Mega million have no choice to make their game harder like 1 in 400 million.

Same cost 1 dollars per play.

New matrix 1-100

red ball 1-85

Mega million want to reclaim their old record jackpot.

If someone won 166 million dollars in mega million. Nobody care since it's only under 200 millions.

Glenn Dale
          United States
          Member #72252
          March 13, 2009
          1277 Posts
          Posted: January 10, 2016, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

I would love to win , I'll worry above the rest latter, but it would be nice if t least 15 states win with that kind of money, have to include MD and DC, LOL in the 15 states

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
            Member #142499
            May 13, 2013
            1200 Posts
            Posted: January 10, 2016, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

OMG Teddy, nobody here has the ability to infringe on you or your choices...people are merely sharing their opinions lighten up. Why do you have to make your responses soo personal towards other posters opinions and take the attitude like they have some power or authority over yours...geesh!!...these are merely opinions.. thoughts on the matter being shared nothing more.

In that case I suggest you take your own advice and lighten up since I did exactly what you're doing now and shared my thoughts. This entire thread is geared towards one set of people thinking that it would be better for all mankind if these types of lotteries didn't exist. One person trying to label others as greedy for them wanting to see a bigger jackpot is personalizing things. Especially when there are so so so many other jackpots out there that do exactly what they want.

Why should the cowards or the self-righteous get to take swipes at others and no one get to swipe back? Hypocritical much?

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1200 Posts
              Posted: January 10, 2016, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

I believe that this could be disastrous results in the end once this jackpot is over people will get frustrated and not buy like they used to when they realize the odds and how it is almost impossible. I think back to Abraham and Whitaker 2 people that should have never won the lottery who changed so many peoples lives for the worse and one who is dead and the other who wishes he was dead. I know that most people just care about the bottom line but not everyone is built to have money. I know this first hand. I have lived it and have dictated it very well in my life. But I am the exception not the rule. It is just facts that spell out trouble if people do not know hot to handle themselves. Good luck though.

Abraham is dead because DeeDee was greedy and he was uneducated. Jack Whitakker's granddaughter is dead because she's a drug addict and he thought showering a drug addict with money was a smart decision.

Considering that Jack still plays the lottery, he obviously doesn't hold the same view on his win that you do. Jack was given a lot of advice, including some from law enforcement that he opted not to take. That wasn't the lottery's fault. That wasn't the money's fault. That was his fault. 

You're right about one thing; many people can't handle money. Humans have a well documented history of mismanaging windfalls in all forms, but unless you want to advocate for the limitation of large job bonuses, the sale of self-starter companies and stop inheritances, your issue rings hollow.

If someone like Shakespeare had gotten his money through a football contract instead of the lottery, would we say that the NFL was evil for paying him that much money? 

I've worked with brilliant doctors who have no clue how to manage their 6 figure paychecks. Should the doctors who do know how to handle that much money have their salaries limited because of those who can't? 

Why does a big paycheck only become an issue when the money comes from the lottery?

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

United States
                Member #149995
                December 14, 2013
                47 Posts
                Posted: January 10, 2016, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Lottery winner is no different than profession athlete.

The majority profession athlete go broke when they retired.

A lot of sports athlete gone broke in five years. It's like lottery winner.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                  Member #52345
                  May 21, 2007
                  2680 Posts
                  Posted: January 10, 2016, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

I'll risk the "injury" of winning this Powerball jackpot.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                    Member #52345
                    May 21, 2007
                    2680 Posts
                    Posted: January 10, 2016, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

Lottery winner is no different than profession athlete.

The majority profession athlete go broke when they retired.

A lot of sports athlete gone broke in five years. It's like lottery winner.

Type newbies like small children,should be seen but not heard

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                      Member #164603
                      March 8, 2015
                      641 Posts
                      Posted: January 10, 2016, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

Type newbies like small children,should be seen but not heard

They have a point though.

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
                        Member #131594
                        August 14, 2012
                        171 Posts
                        Posted: January 10, 2016, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

Abraham is dead because DeeDee was greedy and he was uneducated. Jack Whitakker's granddaughter is dead because she's a drug addict and he thought showering a drug addict with money was a smart decision.

Considering that Jack still plays the lottery, he obviously doesn't hold the same view on his win that you do. Jack was given a lot of advice, including some from law enforcement that he opted not to take. That wasn't the lottery's fault. That wasn't the money's fault. That was his fault. 

You're right about one thing; many people can't handle money. Humans have a well documented history of mismanaging windfalls in all forms, but unless you want to advocate for the limitation of large job bonuses, the sale of self-starter companies and stop inheritances, your issue rings hollow.

If someone like Shakespeare had gotten his money through a football contract instead of the lottery, would we say that the NFL was evil for paying him that much money? 

I've worked with brilliant doctors who have no clue how to manage their 6 figure paychecks. Should the doctors who do know how to handle that much money have their salaries limited because of those who can't? 

Why does a big paycheck only become an issue when the money comes from the lottery?

I've read in interviews with previous lottery winners and professional wealth managers that people tend to treat money earned or inherited and money won as extremely different.  People who would never dream of asking for money from you if you had a high paying job or inherited money had no problem asking for money won.

It seems like a similar phenomena is at work here with the people who are complaining about the high jackpot.  They would never call you greedy or think you are not competent/smart enough if you worked and earned a huge amount but boy are you greedy if you seek it in the form of Wednesday's powerball ticket.  Oh, and let's not forget you are also rendered immediately incompetent to handle your own affairs once you turn in your winning billion dollar ticket.  Confused

Money has its own psychology and it is obviously a weird one.

Lotto Lucy

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #55889
                          October 23, 2007
                          5764 Posts
                          Posted: January 10, 2016, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

Good points Lucy.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                            Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #150273
                            December 18, 2013
                            495 Posts
                            Posted: January 10, 2016, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

I have no issue with larger JP's and what people do with their winnings is of no concern to me. I just have a issue with PB making the odds worse to win and at the same not increasing odds of winning better smaller prizes. I think PB is throwing themselves under the bus because people have to have some glimmer of hope or motivation that when they spent $2 bucks they at least stand a reasonable chance of winning something decent beyond a few bucks. I just think it's a bad call for PB to not better the odds and winnings on small wins if they were gonna lessen the odds for the JP...which is probably why sales were down to begin with...there was no motivation to spend on such bad odds all the way around...not just with the JP...that's just me though.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

LiveInGreenBay's avatar - driver
                              Green Bay
                              United States
                              Member #169391
                              October 15, 2015
                              1279 Posts
                              Posted: January 10, 2016, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

Fun to play but scary if you win.

Never give up.  Banana