Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Iowa Lottery CEO Terry Rich answers your questions

Topic closed. 107 replies. Last post 10 months ago by LiveInGreenBay.

Page 4 of 8
PrintE-mailLink
JAP69's avatar - alas
South Carolina
United States
Member #6
November 4, 2001
8790 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

With hackers getting into secure computer equipment how can you satisfy the public on their fear of further tampering of computerized drawings? Always reading in the news of some system including government being hacked into. Even if it could be done by radio signals.

WHATT

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
    Member #106923
    February 27, 2011
    476 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

Here's an analogy to consider: If one person is the victim of credit card fraud, should all credit cards be thrown away and/or outlawed? Any equipment that Eddie Tipton programmed or built or even accessed is no longer in use here in Iowa. That is an important consideration for those concerned about game integrity. In addition, we have done our best to be transparent about what has occurred and to address the changes that have been made. If anything, this case is shining a valuable spotlight on the issue of lottery security, and that's a positive thing.

Though I, and many other LP'ers, understand the savings involved with utilization of RNG's, there is also a wide understanding of programming.  Parameters must be manually manipulated to simulate randomness.  Thus the ability of the Tipton case to exist.  With use of RNG's this will always be an ability and predominant concern; though unlikely, still a possibility.  If the use of halogen lottery machines dramatically increases trust in the lottery amalgamation, albeit at a proportionately slight increase in expense, why not use them?

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

Glenn Dale
      United States
      Member #72252
      March 13, 2009
      1264 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

Hi Terry, thank you for taking the time out to answer our questions, I would like to know is it  true that the larger states have a better change a hitting the jackpot than the smaller state, or middle class area versus low income areas, I understand that the larger amount put out the better your chances are, if this is the case then why should the smaller states, middle income areas or low income areas waste their money playing, what do you think, does everyone really have a fair chance of hitting the jackpot, like the powerball that is now 1.3 billion, will the winner be the states who brought in the most profit

sonnet's avatar - Lottery-005.jpg

United States
        Member #68994
        January 3, 2009
        1091 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

Hello Mr. Rich, 

Even if RNGs and ball-drawing equipment have their vulnerabilites, as you've noted, the ball-drawing machines offer the player a modicum of interaction by watching each ball dribbling out of the chute, anticipating the next ball, then talking to the machine to display their desired number and utimately shouting out the next number, even if that ball was different; and the players ticket did not match.   This is much more fun than computer generated digits that simply flash numbers.  Why would any lottery official want to remove the "fun" factor for the player because RNGs are easier to maintain?  For whom is the lottery targetted, the players or the lottery officials?

~s

Iowa Lottery's avatar - iowalottery 100x100.png
          Clive, Iowa
          United States
          Member #167708
          July 27, 2015
          25 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Hi Terry,
          This has not been the first problem with computer draws (see Tennessee.) Even though every time a computer system gets hacked, whether credit cards, banks, hospital etc. there is always the promise of better security and the promise that everything will be done to prevent it from happening again. But it always does. That being said, why don't the states all go back back to mechanical draws? NOBODY here on LP trusts computer draws. If they want to maintain the integrity of the game it seems ball draws are the only way to go.

I understand your concern. There have been instances, however, where both ball-drawing equipment and RNGs have been compromised. The critical issue, as you have referenced, is having the security and integrity measures in place to protect against wrong-doing. Someone will always be trying to beat the system, and lotteries constantly have to make improvements to guard against that. The breach of trust in the lottery jackpot investigation stems from the actions of those who apparently were willing to risk the consequences of committing fraud in an attempt to secure a lottery prize.

Terry

CEO  Iowa Lottery

SQL-MAN's avatar - SQL Avatar.gif
            Milwaukee, Wisconsin
            United States
            Member #157451
            July 19, 2014
            1101 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Here's an analogy to consider: If one person is the victim of credit card fraud, should all credit cards be thrown away and/or outlawed? Any equipment that Eddie Tipton programmed or built or even accessed is no longer in use here in Iowa. That is an important consideration for those concerned about game integrity. In addition, we have done our best to be transparent about what has occurred and to address the changes that have been made. If anything, this case is shining a valuable spotlight on the issue of lottery security, and that's a positive thing.

Was Eddie Raymond Tipton a former computer programmer?  Is it a common practice to hire computer programmers to oversee lottery operations?

United States
              Member #89330
              April 5, 2010
              477 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

Please explain random number generators. NC has an All or Nothing game. You select 12 numbers out of 24. Nearly every draw is six off or six  even numbers.  Hardly seems random. 

Thank you for being with us tonight.

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
                The Quantum Master
                West Concord, MN
                United States
                Member #21
                December 7, 2001
                3675 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

It's clear that transparency is not so easy with Computer Generated Numbers.

Given the virtual nature of the Computer Generated Numbers, what can be done to gain the trust of your lottery customers?

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
                Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
                Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
                Knowledge is Beyond Belief
                Wisdom is Not Censored
                Douglas Paul Smallish
                Jehocifer

Clive, Iowa
                  United States
                  Member #167708
                  July 27, 2015
                  25 Posts
                  Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Do you know if this Power Ball draw will be held somewhere special?   When I win it I intend to only play ball draws no computerized ones. Thank You Terry

The Powerball drawing has been held at special events all around the country through the years, including state fairs, festivals and rodeos. It takes an incredible amount of security and equipment to move the drawing to another location. Wednesday night's drawing will occur at the Powerball drawing studio in Florida. Can't wait to see if there is a winner!

Terry

CEO  Iowa Lottery

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                    Happy California
                    United States
                    Member #157856
                    August 2, 2014
                    1506 Posts
                    Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

"Who guards the guard" as the Ancient Romans said.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Wendell NC
                      United States
                      Member #171183
                      January 2, 2016
                      46 Posts
                      Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

Hello Mr. Rich

I play NC lottery , i want to know does the lottery have a certain amount it is going to pay out each draw and if so is that why my number always appear in the pre draws.

and if so are the particular day in which it pays out more than other days.

Naples, Fl
                        United States
                        Member #171752
                        January 11, 2016
                        3 Posts

I have been playing the lottery for 30+ years. While I do not post, I do come to LotteryPost for info on the lottery, results, and to read the forums. The Q&A with you did peak my interest enough to login and ask a few questions directly. Can you encourage other lottery officials or directors to do the same as you did here on LotteryPost? Keeping things transparent is the first step to repair the trust with the public.

Clive, Iowa
                          United States
                          Member #167708
                          July 27, 2015
                          25 Posts

Hello Mr. Rich,

Welcome, How did you hear about Lottery Post?  Do you have a social media department dedicated to monitoring player strategies? Will the $100,000 cash game comeback or another Cash 5 type game? Thanks.

We've followed Lottery Post for a long time now. It's fun to see the conversations and excitement that people have here. We have a social media staff who do a good job of staying on top of posts and updates. The All or Nothing game replaced Iowa's $100,000 Cash Game and we don't have plans at this time to bring back a cash 5 game. But we always appreciate input and will keep your comment in mind. And I really mean it.

Terry

CEO  Iowa Lottery

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #94283
                            July 17, 2010
                            2284 Posts
                            Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

Hi Mr Rich.  I want to know if each state lottery is required to have x number of dollars on hand to pay million dollar prizes won in their state from Megamillions and/or Powerball.  If so, how much is required?  If not, how much does your state keep on hand.  We're all curious at what point does the second prize go paramutuel.

minnie mickey's avatar - images2ftg
                              Great City (242)
                              Bahamas
                              Member #142648
                              May 16, 2013
                              2690 Posts
                              Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

Hi Terry how are u , Do u think one day  multi- states can start playing online p3 and p4

have u ever talk about it ?

"I will prepare and some day my chance will come ."