Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Iowa Lottery CEO Terry Rich answers your questions

Topic closed. 107 replies. Last post 11 months ago by LiveInGreenBay.

Page 6 of 8
PrintE-mailLink
fast eddie's avatar - lasvegas2
Chicago,IL.
United States
Member #2902
November 29, 2003
1427 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

do you think players can use systems to gain an advantage when picking pick three and pick four numbers? or is it all random and are we just wasting our time? I think system players dislike RNG because the feel they do not have any edge like they do with ping pong balls all be it slight.

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned"

Iowa Lottery's avatar - iowalottery 100x100.png
    Clive, Iowa
    United States
    Member #167708
    July 27, 2015
    25 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

Mr Rich,

I do not see where you have answered my question. I realise  that you are being bombarded with a lot of questions all at once.

I will wait patiently for your reply.

Thank-you!

We're down to the last couple questions here. Thank you for playing the lottery. We anticipate that RNGs are around to stay. We hope that by being as transparent as we have been throughout the investigation and with the proper oversight, we can gain your confidence that the games are safe. That's our responsibility and our job and it's something we take seriously.

Terry

CEO  Iowa Lottery

DCTreybil's avatar - actuarial I_w_caption_II_sized.jpg

United States
      Member #169613
      October 24, 2015
      11 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2016, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for being here tonight!

The land of Canals
        United States
        Member #137589
        January 7, 2013
        168 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2016, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

Thank you Mr. Rich and Chief. Stay well!

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.” 
         Steve Martin

Cool

lakerben's avatar - spherewall
          New Mexico
          United States
          Member #86099
          January 29, 2010
          11119 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2016, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

Besides huge jackpots the lotto could get new players by increasing the smaller prizes.  The pb power play was $12 on Saturday.  Increasing that to 25 or 30 dollars would be better. Many times the winning barely cover what was bet.  No profit.  Can you communicate this to the MUSL?

How about them cowboys!

US Flag

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
            Jacksonville Florida
            United States
            Member #23018
            October 6, 2005
            918 Posts

Thanks Terry for your time...and thanks Todd for arranging this

Iowa Lottery's avatar - iowalottery 100x100.png
              Clive, Iowa
              United States
              Member #167708
              July 27, 2015
              25 Posts

Good evening, 

What is the probability of this ever happening again and most importantly are there measures put 

in place so this does not happen in any more states

This long-running investigation has shown us a lot about what someone may try to do in an attempt to gain a lottery prize. We've learned so much through the process and put in place greater separation of duties, additional layers of security and new equipment. We pledge to continue to protect against vulnerabilities identified as part of our ongoing efforts to safeguard the integrity of lottery games.

It's our responsibility as lotteries to offer games and prizes with systems and procedures built upon fairness and integrity. And if it ever appears that something has gone wrong, it's our responsibility to get to the bottom of it.

Thank you to everyone for all the questions tonight. This has been fun. We hope to see you in Iowa as our next Powerball winners!

Terry

CEO  Iowa Lottery

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23275 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2016, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

We're going to wrap up our Q&A session with Terry Rich. The time flew by quicker than I can believe.

I would like to extend a heart-felt thanks to Terry for devoting the past hour to Lottery Post members and visitors. Your commitment and respect to lottery players could not be clearer!

Terry, any time you want to post something at Lottery Post you are more than welcome, whether it's answering a question, offering an opinion, addressing a concern, or just to shoot the breeze. If at some point you would like to come back to this thread to revisit anything or answer some questions you didn't get to, that would be welcome and appreciated.

Also thanks to all the folks who posted great questions here and kept a lively discussion going. And I really mean that! Lottery Post members are the best — you all had me laughing, thinking, shaking my head, nodding my head, and loving every minute. Nice job!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts

Thank you Mr. Rich and Chief. Stay well!

Ditto on that!  Thank You!!!!!!!!

Party

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                    Member #59354
                    March 13, 2008
                    3985 Posts

It's 8:04pm here, I guess I should have checked the time zone.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

lakerben's avatar - spherewall
                      New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #86099
                      January 29, 2010
                      11119 Posts
                      Posted: January 11, 2016, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

I didnt get my question answered.

How about them cowboys!

US Flag

grwurston's avatar - 144
                        Let's Go Rangers!!!
                        bel air maryland
                        United States
                        Member #90251
                        April 24, 2010
                        4879 Posts
                        Posted: January 11, 2016, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

We're going to wrap up our Q&A session with Terry Rich. The time flew by quicker than I can believe.

I would like to extend a heart-felt thanks to Terry for devoting the past hour to Lottery Post members and visitors. Your commitment and respect to lottery players could not be clearer!

Terry, any time you want to post something at Lottery Post you are more than welcome, whether it's answering a question, offering an opinion, addressing a concern, or just to shoot the breeze. If at some point you would like to come back to this thread to revisit anything or answer some questions you didn't get to, that would be welcome and appreciated.

Also thanks to all the folks who posted great questions here and kept a lively discussion going. And I really mean that! Lottery Post members are the best — you all had me laughing, thinking, shaking my head, nodding my head, and loving every minute. Nice job!

Hopefully we can do it again sometime. Thanks Todd for setting this up.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

Tucson, AZ
                          United States
                          Member #171763
                          January 11, 2016
                          2 Posts
                          Posted: January 11, 2016, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

Hello and welcome! Couple of questions for you..

Can you share with us what additional measures have been put in place to prevent future fraud? Throwing away everything Tipton touched is a good start, but I would hope that more is being done. You may not be able to share publicly the exact strategies you're using, but I think the community would feel better if they knew that you were, for example, increasing random testing like polygraphs. Brain wave scanning is also a very intriguing concept being currently developed..

Are you aware of other state agencies making changes to how their games are secured as a result of the Tipton case?

Lastly, would it be possible to implement something to meet those upset with RNG's in the middle? Off the top of my head, I think you could have the physics of a ball drawn game simulated. The load position could be randomly set beforehand by a human operator, and then at the time of the draw, the system could assign marginally different variables to the physics calculations. That way, no one at the lottery would know what the results were beforehand. Officials could then verify the draw after the fact with the variables that were assigned to ensure it wasn't tampered with in any way. This would be a more accurate representation of a ball drawn game, with players having the ability to "watch" the draw in real-time on your website.

EDIT: Darn. Missed the window. At the very least, I think that RNG's shouldn't be set until after ticket sales have concluded (just like a ball drawn game).

Louisville
                            United States
                            Member #167737
                            July 28, 2015
                            1 Posts
                            Posted: January 11, 2016, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

Thank you

United States
                              Member #129868
                              June 30, 2012
                              2454 Posts
                              Posted: January 11, 2016, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

Smells of a PR campaign if you ask me. Most members here are anti-RNG, he must not have seen the petitions page. RNG for the foreseeable future in Iowa. Did I miss anything?