Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Luckiest States

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 11 months ago by noise-gate.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
DoodleBug's avatar - disney25

United States
Member #172012
January 14, 2016
1 Posts
Posted: January 14, 2016, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

Why do some states seem to produce more lottery jackpot winners? California, Florida, and New York seem to ALWAYS have a winner. Are there any stats available regarding lottery wins per state?

United States
    Member #162003
    December 18, 2014
    43 Posts
    Posted: January 14, 2016, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

I have been wondering the same thing. Seems pretty strange to me. Why does more quick picks/easy picks sold mean higher chance to win the jackpot? More combinations? What are the stats for dollars/wins per capita? Those are the stats that I would like to see. Doesn't seem to add up sometimes. Also, with 2 repeating numbers from the last draw, seems even more strange.

Deo-nonfortuna's avatar - hqdefault
      NJ
      United States
      Member #165922
      April 27, 2015
      3340 Posts
      Posted: January 14, 2016, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

Why do some states seem to produce more lottery jackpot winners? California, Florida, and New York seem to ALWAYS have a winner. Are there any stats available regarding lottery wins per state?

There's only 1 stat u need to know. Biggest population!

United States
        Member #162003
        December 18, 2014
        43 Posts
        Posted: January 14, 2016, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

There's only 1 stat u need to know. Biggest population!

That's what they keep telling us....

United States
          Member #145267
          August 1, 2013
          1534 Posts
          Posted: January 14, 2016, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

This is why I did not get excited about the high jackpot, yes be in the game.  Wait for the next billion dollar jackpot,  it will be the same places hitting the jackpots.

( Florida, Ca, New York, PA., and maybe Ga.)  Go back to regular jackpots where you don't have the max people buying tickets.

Candy-Lane's avatar - yocco

United States
            Member #167255
            July 2, 2015
            102 Posts
            Posted: January 14, 2016, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

I am never surprised when someone wins from one of the more heavily populated states such as  CA, Fl, TX etc...

However, I did notice that 3 out 21 of the top largest jackpot winners came out of Maryland, not a particularly large state.

If one is looking to label a state "lucky," then Maryland would get my vote!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              Texas
              United States
              Member #55889
              October 23, 2007
              5615 Posts
              Posted: January 14, 2016, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

While you do not need to be a genius, you do need to have a basic understanding of math to grasp why states with higher populations will have a higher number of winners in PB and MM. And then every once in a while you will see Puerto Rico, or a smaller populated state produce a winner.

That's random at work. Because....with 1 in 292+ million odds, all that's left is random. And a lot of luck.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
                Member #169911
                November 6, 2015
                57 Posts
                Posted: January 14, 2016, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

It's mainly because they have more sales and also luck of coarse.

United States
                  Member #171734
                  January 11, 2016
                  127 Posts
                  Posted: January 14, 2016, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

Ignoring Conn. and Tenn. who don't report sales, for the 1/13 drawing the following states had the most sales (there were a total of 614M tickets sold, ignoring Conn and Tenn)

(State, $ amount of sales, number of tickets sold, % of all tickets sold)

CA  $179,007,492   89,503,746 15%

TX  $109,104,074   54,552,037   9%

NY  $101,203,618   50,601,809   8%

FL  $100,310,028    50,155,014   8%

PA   $57,403,344     28,701,672   5%

NJ   $55,573,768     27,786,884    5%

The probability of a particular state having a winner is directly related to the number of tickets sold in that state.

Over sufficiently long periods of time, assuming the proportion of tickets remains the same, it would be expected that CA, TX, NY and FL would have 40% of the winners.  Throw in PA and NJ and you would expect those 6 states to generate 50% of the winning tickets.

What state you purchase your ticket in has absolutely no affect on your likelihood of winning.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                    Wisconsin
                    United States
                    Member #104962
                    January 23, 2011
                    1075 Posts
                    Posted: January 14, 2016, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

While you do not need to be a genius, you do need to have a basic understanding of math to grasp why states with higher populations will have a higher number of winners in PB and MM. And then every once in a while you will see Puerto Rico, or a smaller populated state produce a winner.

That's random at work. Because....with 1 in 292+ million odds, all that's left is random. And a lot of luck.

There goes every ticket has the same chance of winning argument.  If these lottery's were really honest, you wouldn't consistently see wins happening in the same ol' same ol' states ( or puerto rico ). 

Again, if the lottery were really random,  you wouldn't consistently see wins happening in the same states ( or puerto rico ).

Some people here need to think beyond what the lottery FAQ page says for excuses, pay attention to their contradictions too.

Trump 2016!

United States
                      Member #171734
                      January 11, 2016
                      127 Posts
                      Posted: January 14, 2016, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

There goes every ticket has the same chance of winning argument.  If these lottery's were really honest, you wouldn't consistently see wins happening in the same ol' same ol' states ( or puerto rico ). 

Again, if the lottery were really random,  you wouldn't consistently see wins happening in the same states ( or puerto rico ).

Some people here need to think beyond what the lottery FAQ page says for excuses, pay attention to their contradictions too.

Every individual ticket as the same chance of winning

Let's take an example, we have a new lottery and two type of people buy lottery tickets, Blue people and Red people.

If Blue people consistently buy 1 billion lottery tickets and Red people consistently buy 1 lottery ticket would you be surprised to learn that Blue people always win?

Not that I agree that there is anything "consistent" in which state winners come from.  They just tend to come from the states that sell the most tickets, which is exactly what would be expected from the probabilities.

How often do you expect to see someone from Vermont with the jackpot when people from Vermont only purchase 0.17% of tickets sold?  Over a long period of time you would expect someone from Vermont to win 1 jackpot out of every 588.  There are roughly 12 jackpot winners a year so you would expect, over a long period of time, for people from Vermont to average one winning jackpot every 50 years. 

That doesn't mean your chances of winning are less if you purchase your ticket in Vermont.  Your ticket will be the winner about once every 3 million years regardless of what state you purchase it in.  Of course if you blow the bank and buy $2000 tickets a week you would expect to be the winner about once ever 3 thousand years so that's not a real viable strategy either (particularly when you consider you'll have invested $100k/yr for 3000 years at compounded interest rate of 3% would give you a sum of money that would dwarf your jackpot winnings.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
                        Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #104962
                        January 23, 2011
                        1075 Posts
                        Posted: January 14, 2016, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

Every individual ticket as the same chance of winning

Let's take an example, we have a new lottery and two type of people buy lottery tickets, Blue people and Red people.

If Blue people consistently buy 1 billion lottery tickets and Red people consistently buy 1 lottery ticket would you be surprised to learn that Blue people always win?

Not that I agree that there is anything "consistent" in which state winners come from.  They just tend to come from the states that sell the most tickets, which is exactly what would be expected from the probabilities.

How often do you expect to see someone from Vermont with the jackpot when people from Vermont only purchase 0.17% of tickets sold?  Over a long period of time you would expect someone from Vermont to win 1 jackpot out of every 588.  There are roughly 12 jackpot winners a year so you would expect, over a long period of time, for people from Vermont to average one winning jackpot every 50 years. 

That doesn't mean your chances of winning are less if you purchase your ticket in Vermont.  Your ticket will be the winner about once every 3 million years regardless of what state you purchase it in.  Of course if you blow the bank and buy $2000 tickets a week you would expect to be the winner about once ever 3 thousand years so that's not a real viable strategy either (particularly when you consider you'll have invested $100k/yr for 3000 years at compounded interest rate of 3% would give you a sum of money that would dwarf your jackpot winnings.

When you talk about probabilities, the every ticket has the same chance of winning goes up in smoke. 

What is really the issue, is that certain states have is an unfair advantage.  It also tells me democrat states have a lot of desperate people looking for easy money. 

Until people boycott these lottery games,  the same places will continue win.

Trump 2016!

United States
                          Member #171734
                          January 11, 2016
                          127 Posts
                          Posted: January 14, 2016, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

When you talk about probabilities, the every ticket has the same chance of winning goes up in smoke. 

What is really the issue, is that certain states have is an unfair advantage.  It also tells me democrat states have a lot of desperate people looking for easy money. 

Until people boycott these lottery games,  the same places will continue win.

Incorrect, every ticket does have exactly the same chance of winning.

One in 292 million

States don't have an unfair advantage as there is no advantage to a particular state winning, they don't have a stake in the outcome. 

Places don't win, people do.  And each person's ticket has the same chance of winning no matter where it was purchased.

Let me try another example, let's say people couldn't buy unlimited tickets and instead there were 292 million tickets for sale (1 for every possible combination) and all but one of those tickets was sold in Vermont and the other one in California.  It is a virtual certainty that the winning ticket will always be sold in Vermont.  Does that mean people buying tickets in Vermont have an unfair advantage?  Nope, because only 1 out of 292 million of the tickets sold in Vermont will be the winner, exactly the same odds as that single ticket sold in California.

Probabilities don't care whether you place your bet from your roof, the bathtub, California or Uganda.  The probabilities of that bet are exactly the same regardless of where it is placed.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10353 Posts
                            Posted: January 14, 2016, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

Just go to the Mega Millions and Powerball websites and look at the winners galleries. It shows winners and states year by year.

One of the sites that was giving out lotto advice yesterday said that Pennsylvania has won 16 jackpots in the last 13 years.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                              Member #162003
                              December 18, 2014
                              43 Posts
                              Posted: January 14, 2016, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

For all those saying the chance's are the same for every single ticket that is bought, you need help. I'm guessing you believe everything that the government tells you too? I thought so. I'm also guessing you are either a liberal and/or from a liberal state? Pretty typical. The fact is that not every ticket has the same chances to win. Think about the number generators at the terminals. Do you think enough bad combinations get cycled through in very low powerball sales states to even get close to printing the winner? I for one have bought many quick pick tickets for years and years and never won anything. Then I started picking my own numbers and started winning all the time. If these lotteries are so random, then why am I able to win with picking my own numbers but not quick picks? Everything is not an even chance.