Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Luckiest States

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 11 months ago by noise-gate.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: January 15, 2016, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

It doesn't matter what any sort of "math" or "reasoning" anyone comes up with. These drawings reek to high he1l and it will have ramifications on future play. That's all that needs to be said. Either give players more of a chance to win smaller to medium prizes or suffer the consequences. Why do you think so many young people are not interested in playing the lottery? Maybe they are smart enough and can do the "math" that you speak of and realize they have literally no chance of winning anything. If you live in a state that hasn't won a jackpot for years and years, the fact is that it is going to discourage you from playing. Nuff said.

Not necessarily I would look at it like that state was due. Most younger people do not need to play the lottery they are in school and having fun or working to fund school. Many do play though I see college kids playing all the time here. But mostly older people do it as a hobby, and seniors who have nothing better to do and need something to spend their money on other than food and cable. States with higher populations get more draws but then you got less populated states like TN that got it TWICE now under the new matrix. That only further proves the point that any state can win. It would not only be VERY time consuming to try and rig draws it would also be pointless and make no sense to do so. How and why would they decide who wins? What would it accomplish? Just so they could decide again and again? That is the dumbest conspiracy that I ever heard and has no logic or reasoning when they can just do it randomly and still get the same results.

PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: January 15, 2016, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

Also people are only focusing on CA and Florida not the fact that TN won TWICE now under the new matrix and have a much less population of about 6,600,299. CA has 39,144,818 and FL has 18,804,623. Also it is really easy to focus on the winner after the fact as hindsight is 20/20. But don't forget that for that one winner in CA there was also A LOT more losers. The WHOLE state didn't win one family did. I am sure when RI or VT wins someone will say they saw this thread and made them win to keep it looking random. LOL You can't convince any conspiracy nut that anything is not rigged, until they win of course. I used to joke about that all the time and say "All jackpot lotteries are rigged, until I win." Then I don't care. But I bet all the people on here saying they are rigged keep buying tickets. Yes Nod

United States
      Member #167585
      July 21, 2015
      55 Posts
      Posted: January 16, 2016, 1:07 am - IP Logged

Please do the statistics on Indiana for the last 5 draws.  Consistently 5%-7% under statiscal average for the number of winning tickets there should be vs. what there actually is.  You say they can't be programmed for bias, but you are wrong.  There hadn't been a million dollar PB winner in 2 years in Indiana since they switched out the terminals.  The new algorithim the machine uses will pick a number 1-10 or even two numbers 1-10 a way higher threshold than what it should be.  Humans are very good at recognizing patterns and after buying thousands of tickets I started to do analysis on how often it was picking 1-10 in all draw games.  Powerball has 69 numbers and for the machine to be truly random the odds of a 1-10 number are about 1 in 6.9 for every ticket.  If I scan and show you the Powerball tickets for the last 5 draws our lottery pool purchased you will start to see the bias the machines in Indiana are playing.  They do this for all the draw games and they get away with it, because there is no one person that buys enough tickets to prove this.  However after seeing it for a couple years now and printing out over 1500 $1 dollar Cash 5 tickets for a single game odds 1 in 700+ thousand and the numbers being skewed toward the lower end on greatly higher percentage of all the tickets you can start to paint a picture. 

How I got the numbers for Indiana which the numbers being reported for PowerPlay make no sense which leads me to believe the numbers are off.

From the lottoreport that shows money numbers from the last 5 draws.  The first column shows the total sales of regular tickets and afteward the total money for PowerPlay.  These are for dates 12/30                                            1/2/16                                             1/6                                                     1/9                                                        1/13

$1,779,000$126,760$2,289,956$158,263$6,759,308$368,854

$16,649,134

$818,450$20,748,974$994,872IN

I got the total winning tickets from the powerball site.  They post the number of winning tickets for each state.  I.E.

Indiana on 12/30

1779000/2=889500

126760/3=42253.333 Makes no sense to sell an uneven amount of PP tickets....

889500+42253=931753 Total tickets sold

931753/24.78=Approximately should be 37601 winning tickets in Indiana

35153 actual winning tickets in indiana

37601-35153=2448/37601=6.5% under what it should be

You'll start to see a pattern that it's always 5% plus under what the statistical average should be.

We are either the unluckiest state or the machine are programmed with a bias.  You start doing the math and prove me wrong as I would appreciate it.

United States
        Member #171734
        January 11, 2016
        127 Posts
        Posted: January 16, 2016, 1:50 am - IP Logged

First of all, you are incorrectly computing the probability of a random selection of 5 numbers out of 69 having a number in the range of 1-10

The odds are 45% that it won't have a number 1-10 and therefore 55% that it will.   You are incorrectly computing the odds for a single number but there are 5 numbers on a ticket.

Indiana reports Powerball tickets in the first column at $2/ticket

Indiana reports the amount of money spent on Powerplay, that's $1 per ticket not $3.  These are not additional tickets sold.

Since you miscounted the number of tickets sold in Indiana, it is only 88950, you miscalculated the expected number of winning tickets

The expected number (over a LARGE number of samples is 24.78.  That would be 35896 winning tickets and there were 35153

There doesn't appear to be anything unusual about Indiana at all.

United States
          Member #167585
          July 21, 2015
          55 Posts
          Posted: January 16, 2016, 10:39 am - IP Logged

It was 889500.  Also, 55% for a 1-10 number.  Could you show me the math on that.  If that were true every range would have a 55% chance and it doesn't add up.

Alpharetta, GA
            United States
            Member #169547
            October 23, 2015
            123 Posts
            Posted: January 16, 2016, 11:32 am - IP Logged

It all boils down to this- are you a conspiracy person or not.  I

am.  I am highly suspicious of everything.  lol. The terminals can be tampered with.   Always pick your own numbers.  If you don't want to pick them use a random generator or the quick pick function on the web but don't wait until you get to the lottery terminal to do it   

One could easily make the reverse argument that winners are engineered   Many of us here were saying that a repeater even a repeat pair was OVERDUE and look a quick pick from TN produced a ticket with two repeaters   Now some of us picked repeaters by hand but how many of the quick picks do you think had that?  So we can argue it either way you slice the math   its all in your vantage point and how you present the numbers   

So identify the trend yourself if you want and pick your own numbers   If you don't want to pick them use a random number generator   Just don't let the house place your bet for you at the lottery terminal   That's my whole argument 

Now I'm going to put my tin foil hat back on... Lol.

United States
              Member #171734
              January 11, 2016
              127 Posts
              Posted: January 16, 2016, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

To compute the chance that a number in the range of 1-10 will show up among the 5 white balls (at LEAST once) we need to compute how what the percentage is that the range will NOT be among the 5 white balls.

For the first ball, the odds are 59/69 that it will not have 1-10

For the second ball, 58/68

For the third ball, 57/67

For the fourth ball, 56/66

For the fifth ball, 55/65

Multiple all five terms and you get (59*58*57*56*55)/(69*68*67*66*65) = 0.445467 

So if there is a 44.5467% chance that there will NOT be a number in the range of 1-10 then

there is a 1 - 0.445467 = 55.4533% chance that a number in the range of 1-10 will appear

Not sure what you think needs to add up.  The only thing here that needs to add up to 100% is the chance that

1-10 WILL be drawn plus the change the 1-10 WILL NOT be drawn.

There are 5 white balls drawn so adding up the odds of each range being drawn has no reason to add up to 100%

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                Texas
                United States
                Member #55889
                October 23, 2007
                5615 Posts
                Posted: January 17, 2016, 9:51 am - IP Logged

It all boils down to this- are you a conspiracy person or not.  I

am.  I am highly suspicious of everything.  lol. The terminals can be tampered with.   Always pick your own numbers.  If you don't want to pick them use a random generator or the quick pick function on the web but don't wait until you get to the lottery terminal to do it   

One could easily make the reverse argument that winners are engineered   Many of us here were saying that a repeater even a repeat pair was OVERDUE and look a quick pick from TN produced a ticket with two repeaters   Now some of us picked repeaters by hand but how many of the quick picks do you think had that?  So we can argue it either way you slice the math   its all in your vantage point and how you present the numbers   

So identify the trend yourself if you want and pick your own numbers   If you don't want to pick them use a random number generator   Just don't let the house place your bet for you at the lottery terminal   That's my whole argument 

Now I'm going to put my tin foil hat back on... Lol.

There is a saying.....

"Those who can't trust cannot be trusted".

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10354 Posts
                  Posted: January 17, 2016, 9:59 am - IP Logged

There is a saying.....

"Those who can't trust cannot be trusted".

rcbuckeye,

Very good! Can we also say, "With paranoia you'll never have to dine alone!"

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55889
                    October 23, 2007
                    5615 Posts
                    Posted: January 17, 2016, 10:01 am - IP Logged

rcbuckeye,

Very good! Can we also say, "With paranoia you'll never have to dine alone!"

LOL.

Very true!

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

PA
                      United States
                      Member #22983
                      October 6, 2005
                      2226 Posts
                      Posted: January 17, 2016, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

The fact that they even let you pick your own numbers should be proof enough that it is all random. The Robinson's won playing 4 QP's also. No way was that "fixed". Also if you think it is fixed and you are still playing you are even more of a nut.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                        Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4110 Posts
                        Posted: January 18, 2016, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Why do some states seem to produce more lottery jackpot winners? California, Florida, and New York seem to ALWAYS have a winner. Are there any stats available regarding lottery wins per state?

Why?....simple. You have to be close to a LARGE body of water.. Like say the Ocean!  Big Smile

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10354 Posts
                          Posted: January 18, 2016, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

noise-gate,

Wow...Hawaii should really have a lottery!

According to some people here at LP the 'luckiest state' is always where the latest jackpot winner is from.

If someone from Bottineau, ND hit a jackpot someone here would say, "It's always North Dakota".

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                            Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4110 Posts
                            Posted: January 18, 2016, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

l am just throwing it out there CT- l mean check the patterns, CA, FL, NY, NJ..and for crying out loud- Puerto Rico: it's got something to do with H2O.

***  It's in the water l tell you. 

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
                              Oregon
                              United States
                              Member #168137
                              August 17, 2015
                              124 Posts
                              Posted: January 18, 2016, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

Wish some of that California Money Water would wash ashore up here in Oregon!