Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

TN Powerball Winners on the Today Show

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 11 months ago by cbr$.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #169911
November 6, 2015
57 Posts
Posted: January 15, 2016, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

The family seems gullible but very seem like very nice folks.  They need to hire a new attorney and one that gives good advice on going public and if they choose to do it than so be it.  Congrats to them.

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
    Texas
    United States
    Member #150797
    December 31, 2013
    815 Posts
    Posted: January 16, 2016, 7:50 am - IP Logged

All this TV appearance did for them was make them the focus of every scammer and con artist in the USA.  They are obviously nice, trusting, unsophisticated folks -- just ripe to be conned.

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
      Brooklyn, NY
      United States
      Member #169723
      October 29, 2015
      877 Posts
      Posted: January 16, 2016, 11:59 am - IP Logged

Thanks.  Only 4 tickets?  Wonder how that makes the people who spent thousands on tickets feel.  LOL

I bought only 4 quick pick tickets as well. I didn't win anything. Unhappy

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

United States
        Member #164725
        March 12, 2015
        342 Posts
        Posted: January 16, 2016, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

The ticket of the winning number is one line. So, he bought four one line quick picks? They make him sound like a novice player but he elected to go with the single line tickets.

Whatever. The best of luck to them. Wink

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
          Member #118609
          November 4, 2011
          935 Posts
          Posted: January 16, 2016, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

All this TV appearance did for them was make them the focus of every scammer and con artist in the USA.  They are obviously nice, trusting, unsophisticated folks -- just ripe to be conned.

I agree, way too much exposure and the lawyer is an opportunist.  Why in the world would the attorney bring his own daughter to claim the ticket?  This is just too embarrassing, I would be distancing myself from that moron and have him replaced immediately.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
            Jacksonville Florida
            United States
            Member #23018
            October 6, 2005
            918 Posts
            Posted: January 16, 2016, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

Continued Good Luck to the winners!

Hoping things go well for them...it's always a concern when winners claim their winnings quickly like this. The scammers and opportunists will descend in large numbers. Time to hire 24 hour security if they have not already...

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              4792 Posts
              Posted: January 16, 2016, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

I agree, way too much exposure and the lawyer is an opportunist.  Why in the world would the attorney bring his own daughter to claim the ticket?  This is just too embarrassing, I would be distancing myself from that moron and have him replaced immediately.

I agree. Just like doctors, attorneys are at all levels of expertise and competence. Always go with a national reputation law firm in the nearest major city and be willing to pay for that expertise. No competent attorney would bring a family member to a client matter. Attorneys are paid to keep their clients out of the news.

J'aime La France.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                Member #118609
                November 4, 2011
                935 Posts
                Posted: January 16, 2016, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

I agree. Just like doctors, attorneys are at all levels of expertise and competence. Always go with a national reputation law firm in the nearest major city and be willing to pay for that expertise. No competent attorney would bring a family member to a client matter. Attorneys are paid to keep their clients out of the news.

Artist ......Hahahahahahahahaha attorneys are paid to keep their clients OUT of the news, this moron made sure they were in and news and so was his daughter and himself, what a crock.

I just read somewhere the daughter was a reporter of sorts lol.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                  PA
                  United States
                  Member #22983
                  October 6, 2005
                  2226 Posts
                  Posted: January 17, 2016, 6:26 am - IP Logged

Ha ha, you don't care huh? You care enough to post here ;)

I care about the lottery and playing it as a hobby for fun for myself, not about what happens or doesn't happen to other winners. I am too busy living my own life. Most here are just mad they did not win it and are mad that no problems happened, because they went against all of the "expert advice" given on here daily. LOL So they look for any negative things that they can, and these same people would be saying that the lottery is rigged and that no one actually won it if they did remain anonymous. I have been here 11 years now so I know how it works and have seen it all. It is simply resentment they have because they did not win, and they are mad that the family did not follow the advice that they believe in, and mad that they had no issues. Just goes to show you that not every "rule" applies all the time and most of the time you are not going to have any issues unless you are really stupid and have a shady lifestyle to begin with. Only the hardcore players on here care usually not most people out there. They lose and move on with their lives as those on here should do also.

PA
                    United States
                    Member #22983
                    October 6, 2005
                    2226 Posts
                    Posted: January 17, 2016, 6:48 am - IP Logged

I personally would have not done the press conference until I had the cash. But this only goes to show you that not everyone needs to be worried even if they are not prepared. People act like every criminal in the world was out there waiting for them when in reality no one gave a crap and nothing happened at all. Not like he is carrying all that cash around in the open t was a signed lottery ticket, and as he said no one even knew him or who he was. So maybe it was smart to get it done quick before his identity was known. The fact is though you don't know what you will do until you get in that situation. That kind of money can change your thinking fast, especially if you are not a hardcore player and well prepped for it. I have been well prepared for a long time but even I want know for sure how I will feel and react until I win that large amount. But unlike most of these casual players I am prepared and ready and have been for a long time. And I think paying a team is a waste of money so I have prepared my own team for 10 years now which consists of me, myself, and I. Those are the only ones who will be getting a piece of the pie. I would be more worried about family, friends, accountants, lawyers, and financial advisors who usually are the real "crooks" you have to watch out for.

PA
                      United States
                      Member #22983
                      October 6, 2005
                      2226 Posts
                      Posted: January 17, 2016, 7:01 am - IP Logged

And I also said many times before that I would not run or hide from anyone if I won, so I applaud them for sticking their ground and not letting preconceived negative thoughts change who they are and scare them off. That is not how a lottery winner should live, and would only make you a prisoner of your own self-centered paranoia. You should be having fun and enjoying it not trying to hide because you think every criminal in the world is now looking for you. They are not, and those who had issues as I said are in the minority and already lived shady lifestyles before they won.

The land of Canals
                        United States
                        Member #137589
                        January 7, 2013
                        168 Posts
                        Posted: January 18, 2016, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Congratulations to the Robinsons! I do find the picture which shows the lawyer's daughter holding the big check with

the actual winners obnoxious. Dunk

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.” 
                         Steve Martin

Cool

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #50273
                          March 3, 2007
                          348 Posts
                          Posted: January 19, 2016, 1:05 am - IP Logged

I wish them the best!  Hopefully they are really lawyers that work for the person who really won and they are just claiming the ticket for a blind trust.  Nah, seriously, I hope nothing but good for them.  I don't agree with what they did but I do hope the best for them.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

The land of Canals
                            United States
                            Member #137589
                            January 7, 2013
                            168 Posts
                            Posted: January 20, 2016, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

Congratulations to the Robinsons! I do find the picture which shows the lawyer's daughter holding the big check with

the actual winners obnoxious. Dunk

Oops, my error. I thought the lawyer's daughter was in the picture. Sorry! What? Crazy

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.” 
                             Steve Martin

Cool

PA
                              United States
                              Member #22983
                              October 6, 2005
                              2226 Posts
                              Posted: January 20, 2016, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Well they will be getting a cut of it. LOL