Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you support a cooling-off period?

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 9 months ago by Rexer90.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Lincoln, California
United States
Member #167130
June 27, 2015
256 Posts
Posted: January 17, 2016, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

Cooling Off?  This sounds like an idea that if pursued could lead to another Law or Rule that sets Standards for everyone based on the performance of the Worst of them.    I understand that Society needs protection from the behavior of the Worst.  Laws doing so are necessary, inevitable and Good in concept.  I for one am tired of seeing more rules that try to prevent me from being lawfully stupid.  Do you really want to give the Over Lords another "need"  to Legislate around?  You know the rule would not be as simple as a "cooling off" period.  I imagine a list of additional criteria or even tests for winners to determine their ability "handle" this money.  How many new employees will the Government need to establish another Department to monitor this new new Law.  We already have to many Government Employees and we don't need another "Nanny" protecting us, especially here.

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
    Happy California
    United States
    Member #157856
    August 2, 2014
    1513 Posts
    Posted: January 17, 2016, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

Cooling Off?  This sounds like an idea that if pursued could lead to another Law or Rule that sets Standards for everyone based on the performance of the Worst of them.    I understand that Society needs protection from the behavior of the Worst.  Laws doing so are necessary, inevitable and Good in concept.  I for one am tired of seeing more rules that try to prevent me from being lawfully stupid.  Do you really want to give the Over Lords another "need"  to Legislate around?  You know the rule would not be as simple as a "cooling off" period.  I imagine a list of additional criteria or even tests for winners to determine their ability "handle" this money.  How many new employees will the Government need to establish another Department to monitor this new new Law.  We already have to many Government Employees and we don't need another "Nanny" protecting us, especially here.

I Agree! Your cooling off period can be started by renting a safe deposit box at your bank. Your home safe. Underneath your bra! LOLCheers  So, my vote is a NO.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
      Texas Panhandle
      United States
      Member #136843
      December 20, 2012
      1270 Posts
      Posted: January 17, 2016, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

I misunderstood the question.  Since the OP constantly harps on anonymity, I took the "cooling off" period to mean the lottery wouldn't announce the winner's name for 90 days.  Since I now realize it means a winner has to wait to claim, I'm changing my vote to "NO".

South Carolina
        United States
        Member #18322
        July 9, 2005
        1704 Posts
        Posted: January 17, 2016, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely NOT!  Winners already have anywhere from 6 to 12 months before they have to turn in their ticket. If people are going to be stupid 90 days is not going to make any difference.

I Agree!       We must LIVE in the PRESENT MOMENT  !!!  Tomorrow is NOT Guaranteed to Anyone [especially not Lottery Winners] !!!

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
          PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: January 17, 2016, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Take the annuity, you will have 30 years to cool off. LOL

alsmurf4's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
            mississippi
            United States
            Member #158372
            August 20, 2014
            15 Posts
            Posted: January 17, 2016, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Do not support a cooling off period. I don't  think that should be forced on winners. If they won it, give it to them. There are several months built in if the winner choosess to take them.

Bondi Junction
              Australia
              Member #57242
              December 24, 2007
              1102 Posts
              Posted: January 17, 2016, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

Sorry, I meant to rate this a "Five Stars" but messed up.  This is a much better topic than constantly droning on about anonymity.

Yes, I would.  A time delay of 90 days would - or should -  satisfy those of us who want transparency and should be more than enough time to get those "ducks in a row" before a winner's name is announced.   I also think the time period should start after claiming, not when the JP was won.

Again, my apologies for accidentally rating this thread lower than I intended.  I would change it if I could.  Embarassed Mea Culpa

I suggesting a cooling off period before winners can collect their prize money. As regards anonymity, I believe more than ever, after seeing the Powerball winners of television, that it is pure crazy to require winners to be publicly identified.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Bondi Junction
                Australia
                Member #57242
                December 24, 2007
                1102 Posts
                Posted: January 17, 2016, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

No, not at all. Irresponsible idiots will still be irresponsible idiots 90 days later.

Responsible winners deserve to be able to get on with their new lives.

I am not saying it will stop idiots being idiots. When some people, who haven't had experience handling a large amount of money, can in all the excitement, make bad impulse decisions. A cooling off period would help reduce the risk. While it wouldn't solve everything, it would be a sensible policy.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49699 Posts
                  Posted: January 17, 2016, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

No, not at all. Irresponsible idiots will still be irresponsible idiots 90 days later.

I Agree! If I Won: I'd want my Money As Soon As Possible: If not sooner!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    49699 Posts
                    Posted: January 17, 2016, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Liberals want to control you with government regulations because they believe in control not freedom.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Alpharetta, GA
                      United States
                      Member #169547
                      October 23, 2015
                      123 Posts
                      Posted: January 17, 2016, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

Word.  I totally agree.

Alpharetta, GA
                        United States
                        Member #169547
                        October 23, 2015
                        123 Posts
                        Posted: January 17, 2016, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

I see more problems with this cooling off period.  More time you have to wait for the state to pay you your winnings. That's risky.  Always the chance the state won't pay you.   Just sayin'.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                          Texas Panhandle
                          United States
                          Member #136843
                          December 20, 2012
                          1270 Posts
                          Posted: January 18, 2016, 1:04 am - IP Logged

I suggesting a cooling off period before winners can collect their prize money. As regards anonymity, I believe more than ever, after seeing the Powerball winners of television, that it is pure crazy to require winners to be publicly identified.

Those PB winners on TV?  That doesn't prove anything except they are idiots.  They're the type that probably would have done it anyway, even if they didn't have to. 

Check the news articles in that forum;  you'll find many more about shady dealings w/ the lottery than you will about people being harmed for being a JP winner.  Besides that, I've proved multiple times that winners have much more to fear from their families - by a large margin-  than from strangers.  Anonymity won't help you there. 

Requiring a cooling off period is what's crazy, not to mention it being a stupid idea.

Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #76087
                            June 18, 2009
                            859 Posts
                            Posted: January 18, 2016, 2:45 am - IP Logged

There's already a "Cooling off " period.

The time between you win and the time the lottery office opens.

Can't do anything til then.

Or you can make it longer if you choose.

Exactly.  Why be forced to go 90 nights with no sleep?

La Maga Della Spaziometria

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
                              Oregon
                              United States
                              Member #168137
                              August 17, 2015
                              124 Posts
                              Posted: January 18, 2016, 3:29 am - IP Logged

If you consider taking the time to get your ducks in a row, your law and money professionals lined up, and take any precautionary measures you feel are needed, before going in and claiming, a "cooling off period"?  Sure! I've never had to gather that kind of team, so however long that might take? 2 weeks? 3? A month? I dont know how long I am capable of not sleeping!LOL 

I wouldn't take too terribly long to do it, though. I've got a ranch I need to purchase, so I can hide out and take aaaaaallll the time I want to "cool off" I can handle, while I have everything around me that I want... I'd like to get to doing that pretty soon, once that opportunity presents itself! I've been waiting a while to do it, and that has always been my plan.Yes Nod