Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you support a cooling-off period?

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 10 months ago by Rexer90.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: January 18, 2016, 9:11 am - IP Logged

Again, it is not the job of the lottery to play advisor and psychologist. You want all that you can get it yourself. There is no need to punish the majority who have no issues just because a few idiots go crazy. They are in the minority. It is their job to give the winnings immediately just as you paid immediately nothing else.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #50273
    March 3, 2007
    348 Posts
    Posted: January 18, 2016, 9:17 am - IP Logged

Nope.  Let me collect my winnings now.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #55889
      October 23, 2007
      5611 Posts
      Posted: January 18, 2016, 9:18 am - IP Logged

I Agree! Liberals want to control you with government regulations because they believe in control not freedom.

Exactly.

We already are becoming a nanny state in the U.S. Why make it worse?

Just because the rest of the world wants their government to tell them what to do all the time doesn't mean we should want that.

As for cooling off....after I get the money I'll cool off for the rest of my life.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #77167
        July 15, 2009
        556 Posts
        Posted: January 18, 2016, 11:44 am - IP Logged

No one knows you have a winning ticket unless you tell them.  You have 6 months to claim the prize.  The money from MM or PB won't be in your state for at least 2 weeks.  Take the 2 weeks to find an attorney, a financial advisor, and an accountant.  If you can't be anonymous ask your lawyer to create a trust and collect the winnings for you.  Don't call attention to yourself.  Take time to think about how you want to use your money--not how family and friends want.  It is your money--not their money.

You can stand outside the store with the winning ticket in your hand telling reporters like Marie Holmes did or go on the Today show and tell the world like the TN winners did and invite scavengers.

A mandatory cooling of period is not needed.

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

Arizona
          United States
          Member #165073
          March 24, 2015
          220 Posts
          Posted: January 18, 2016, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Liberals want to control you with government regulations because they believe in control not freedom.

The difference between liberals and conservatives is not in whether they believe in control or freedom, but in what they believe should be controlled or free.

There are a great many liberals who would be just as indignant as you at the suggestion of holding back lottery winnings for a mandatory period.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
            Member #4877
            May 30, 2004
            5123 Posts
            Posted: January 18, 2016, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

Skeptical I see your 90 and raise ya 120 days

HTX:       

Dance See you 120 days and raise ya 10 years>>>>>in the meanwhile it will give the state odds you will lose the ticket & they keep-it ! Dupe Alert

United States
              Member #164725
              March 12, 2015
              342 Posts
              Posted: January 18, 2016, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely not. We're not children.

PA
                United States
                Member #22983
                October 6, 2005
                2226 Posts
                Posted: January 18, 2016, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

"Congratulations you won! OK kids now go home and cool off in time out for 90 days, then we will send you the check then, OK?"  Dunk   LOL  BSNot when you beat those odds. Some may not even make it for 90 days if they are really old. They want and need that money NOW.

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
                  LAS VEGAS
                  United States
                  Member #47729
                  November 22, 2006
                  4503 Posts
                  Posted: January 18, 2016, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

To me this ideology serves to protect people from themselves and not so sure i agree with it. Many people are responsible and have put thought into things should they win, so why should they have to wait 90 days before enjoying their winnings because others need protecting from their irresponsible behaviors. I can see where a 90 day cool off period MIGHT help those kinds of people, but on the other hand, just not sure why other winners have to suffer the consequences by having their winnings withheld for 90 days.

I have to say no...i do not support a cool off period. Let responsible winners get on with their new life and let those who are irresponsible do what they are going to do regardless.

I Agree!

w/Candelight

This is like delaying the bus/train for 5 minutes so that the late passengers who usually miss the schedule will catch it -guess what they still miss it but the on timers will suffer.

Fortes Forrtuna Juvat

Eddessa_Knight w/Light Sun Smiley

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: January 18, 2016, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

I believe a cooling-off period before winners' can collect prize money would be a good idea. It would give winners' time to adapt to their new reality. It would also give winners' an opportunity to get professional legal and financial advice, before they claim their winnings.

There should definitely be a cooling off period. And everybody should have to wear a helmet whenever they're not in bed.

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7314 Posts
                      Posted: January 18, 2016, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

I believe a cooling-off period before winners' can collect prize money would be a good idea. It would give winners' time to adapt to their new reality. It would also give winners' an opportunity to get professional legal and financial advice, before they claim their winnings.

"I believe a cooling-off period before winners' can collect prize money would be a good idea."

That's easy, if you win a jackpot take some time to cool off before collecting the winnings and the rest of us will decide what is best for US. Opinion is one thing, but most of your ideas place new mandatory restriction on state lotteries that existed and thrived for over 40 years.

PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2226 Posts
                        Posted: January 19, 2016, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

If anything people would be "cooling off" their ticket buying. And the lottery doesn't want that.

"Hey did you hear about the new rule? You gotta wait 90 days so that you "cool off" before they give you your check."

"What??? I think not!"  Chair

We are controlled enough as it is.

addai1516's avatar - lib
                          Newyork City NY / westland michigan
                          United States
                          Member #93153
                          June 23, 2010
                          4087 Posts
                          Posted: January 21, 2016, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

Hurray!DrumArgue lol i like that !!

< God bless all  ,family, love, happiness > 

addai1516's avatar - lib
                            Newyork City NY / westland michigan
                            United States
                            Member #93153
                            June 23, 2010
                            4087 Posts
                            Posted: January 21, 2016, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

There's already a "Cooling off " period.

The time between you win and the time the lottery office opens.

Can't do anything til then.

Or you can make it longer if you choose.

LOLYes NodNo Pity!Hurray!

< God bless all  ,family, love, happiness > 

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
                              New Hampshire
                              United States
                              Member #136492
                              December 12, 2012
                              322 Posts
                              Posted: January 25, 2016, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

I personally believe it's smart to wait to come forward and let public interest and media frenzy die off before claiming for at least 3 or 4 months. I would live off my savings during that time and prepare the best and most anonymous way to claim that I possibly could. 

With that being said if someone wants to come forward the very next day after winning and claim a major JP that should be their decision to make, not the lottery commissions.