Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can winning the lottery truly buy ultimate happiness?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 9 months ago by GatorShea.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
smithfield
United States
Member #64447
August 28, 2008
52 Posts
Posted: March 3, 2016, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Being a African American i would say yes in this case. People say that money can't buy happiness , but  tell that to people are living pay check to pay check like most everyone is.  Alot people say that don't want to deal the other family members that come out out of their caves , that want a piece of want u have.  I am good in saying no but hell no.  I would help the immediate family mom and dad , but cousins and others, i would tell them to go kick rocks! Its a task in itself to win the lottery , once u have people think they are entitled just because they are related to u . Money does buy happiness depending who u ask. If u ask anyone would they rather win the lottery and maybe be miserable and have anything he or she wants, or be struggling with living pay to to pay check and be happy. As for myself i will take the money everytime if i had to choose. So winning the lottery now a days , from the black perspective is the only alternative for alot of people of different races. Lets be honest blacks and other minorities don't get the same opportunities as other races do.  Anyone that disputes that is living in denial! My day is coming and when it does , the word of the day will be no all day everyday.

United States
    Member #169911
    November 6, 2015
    57 Posts
    Posted: March 3, 2016, 11:06 am - IP Logged

You wouldn't have to worry about money as much anymore or paying bills.  You can quit your job and be more happy there.  I'd rather be miserably rich than miserably poor.

smithfield
      United States
      Member #64447
      August 28, 2008
      52 Posts
      Posted: March 3, 2016, 11:09 am - IP Logged

I agree with u 100%. But some people don't see that way

Chicago
        United States
        Member #171107
        December 31, 2015
        77 Posts
        Posted: March 3, 2016, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

Yes it can. The idea of never having to worry about money again and finally chasing a dream in life certainly would be happiness for me

People that usually try to say "Money doesn't buy happiness" have usually never actually had to live without money and the struggles that come with it

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49773 Posts
          Posted: March 3, 2016, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

The Secret to Happiness is Helping Others: Family First then Friends!

http://time.com/4070299/secret-to-happiness/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/20/international-day-of-happiness-helping-_n_6905446.html

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Portland, OR
            United States
            Member #145973
            August 20, 2013
            226 Posts
            Posted: March 3, 2016, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

If winning the lottery brings unhappiness, I want the be unhappiest man in the world.  Yes, winning the lottery can buy ultimate happiness if you have the mental fortitude and knowledge to handle the new found wealth.   Give me a few millions dallas and I'll show you what happiness is all about.

Regarding helping extended family and friends, I go to every single one of them with a shxtty face before claiming the JP and tell them that I am broke, suffering and was at the hospital all night sick and worried because of the stress of not being able to pay my rent.  I ask them to lend me some money to help pay my rent or let me crash on their couch for a week.  If they say no and I know they have the means to help, they get nothing.  If they help, even with $1 or felt concerned, I'd give them $1K-20K each, depending on whether they are family or not.  That will weed out the extended arms after I get the money.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

Arizona
              United States
              Member #165073
              March 24, 2015
              220 Posts
              Posted: March 3, 2016, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

No, money can't buy happiness. It is, however, very good for avoiding certain causes of unhappiness.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                Member #118609
                November 4, 2011
                935 Posts
                Posted: March 3, 2016, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

HyperI dont really know but let me win so I can test the theory !

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                  Member #52345
                  May 21, 2007
                  2659 Posts
                  Posted: March 3, 2016, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

HyperI dont really know but let me win so I can test the theory !

LOL

United States
                    Member #164725
                    March 12, 2015
                    342 Posts
                    Posted: March 3, 2016, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Ultimate happiness? Define it. I say no.  However, it can buy happiness which allows you the ability to achieve ultimate happiness. Personally, I would just settle to be happy by not having to worry about bills, being able to travel, pursue hobbies, and to perform works of charity. That's enough for me.

Hurray!

xstreamgaming15's avatar - 41M8sCXM8YL _SY300_.jpg
                      SoCal
                      United States
                      Member #170973
                      December 25, 2015
                      30 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2016, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

Yes unfortunately money can bring happiness as a Catholic I'm suppose to believe money is evil. But face it money pays the bills and puts food on the table and a peace of mind that you have a roof over your head. Also winning the lottery allows you to buy or do things you never could do with empty pockets.

lulu1feather's avatar - 2uehclf
                        Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #168137
                        August 17, 2015
                        124 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2016, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

Money is a tool to use. Money itself doesn't create happiness. 

You can use money for things that can reduce/eliminate debts, and purchase things that make your life easier, or for things that you enjoy that entertain you.

I feel like happiness isn't material. No material thing makes the passing of a loved one easier (for me any way). So, I don't see money being a fix-all.

I feel happiness now, and I am not a lottery winner. Are there varied levels of happy? Can you not be ultimately happy without winning a large amount of money? That'd be ultimately crappy!!

Maryland
                          United States
                          Member #162434
                          January 2, 2015
                          889 Posts
                          Posted: March 3, 2016, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

Dance YES Dance

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                            Lavender Rocket

United States
                            Member #124616
                            March 16, 2012
                            2642 Posts
                            Posted: March 3, 2016, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

You wouldn't have to worry about money as much anymore or paying bills.  You can quit your job and be more happy there.  I'd rather be miserably rich than miserably poor.

Yes MotoX2 - but that wasnt what was asked.  What was asked was would you rather be miserable & rich or happy & poor.  With those 2 options I would have to choose happy & poor.

However, while I do not think that money = happiness.  Money does = less stress and more opportunities.

Maryland
                              United States
                              Member #162434
                              January 2, 2015
                              889 Posts
                              Posted: March 3, 2016, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Yes MotoX2 - but that wasnt what was asked.  What was asked was would you rather be miserable & rich or happy & poor.  With those 2 options I would have to choose happy & poor.

However, while I do not think that money = happiness.  Money does = less stress and more opportunities.

Yes, and since I have already lived happy and poor, shame on me if I can't handle the increase in money.