Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can winning the lottery truly buy ultimate happiness?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 9 months ago by GatorShea.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1186 Posts
Posted: March 5, 2016, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

Happier, yes, I think the freedom that a large chunk of money would bring, would make me happier

But ultimate happiness, whatever that is, no,  that's not for sale.

If you don't know what ultimate happiness is, how do you know it's not for sale?

Maryland
    United States
    Member #162434
    January 2, 2015
    892 Posts
    Posted: March 6, 2016, 7:10 am - IP Logged

I Agree! 

People that usually try to say "Money doesn't buy happiness" have usually never actually had to live without money and the struggles that come with it

I Agree!

Without money you learn to appreciate basic simple things that are 'given' for those who have. 

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
      Member #142499
      May 13, 2013
      1186 Posts
      Posted: March 6, 2016, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

The latest line I've heard is the best of all them put together.  "There are more things that can make you happy than having a lot of money, unfortunately those things require lots of money". 

"Owl icon"

Exactly true. 

Frankly, if all these people already have true or ultimate happiness now, I don't understand why they're bothering to play the lottery. I don't care if they're playing just for the rush, to pay for a loved ones medical care or in order to give it all away.  They all play because they're getting some happiness from it that the lack of that money is not giving them. 

As for always bringing in the nonsense that celebs take drugs because they aren't happy being rich, it's a ridiculous premise. Other than scientologists, we all know that there are emotional and psychological issues at play with many drug addicts which have absolutely nothing to do with their financial status. Plus, celebrities do not have wealth in a bubble. It comes with fame, notoriety and having every aspect of their lives up for daily inspections, commentary and vilification. There aren't too many of us  who have the mental fortitude to handle being under a microscope in that way. We've seen many celebs quit the limelight to go live in obscurity. But I've yet to see any one of those give up their money.

Tulsa
        United States
        Member #172877
        February 7, 2016
        131 Posts
        Posted: March 6, 2016, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

Winning a jackpot or a large sum of money may not buy me true happiness but it would sure pay off all of our debt and allow me to give the money to the school I have worked at for years, which the state has been failing to do.  I seriously cannot rely on being able to retire as a teacher or if I will even be retained the next year due to continuous budget cuts.   They are cutting budgets for the remainder of the school year we are in right now.  I have more hope in the lottery than the system that politicians have created and failed to maintain.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
          South Carolina
          United States
          Member #77167
          July 15, 2009
          556 Posts
          Posted: March 6, 2016, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

Exactly true. 

Frankly, if all these people already have true or ultimate happiness now, I don't understand why they're bothering to play the lottery. I don't care if they're playing just for the rush, to pay for a loved ones medical care or in order to give it all away.  They all play because they're getting some happiness from it that the lack of that money is not giving them. 

As for always bringing in the nonsense that celebs take drugs because they aren't happy being rich, it's a ridiculous premise. Other than scientologists, we all know that there are emotional and psychological issues at play with many drug addicts which have absolutely nothing to do with their financial status. Plus, celebrities do not have wealth in a bubble. It comes with fame, notoriety and having every aspect of their lives up for daily inspections, commentary and vilification. There aren't too many of us  who have the mental fortitude to handle being under a microscope in that way. We've seen many celebs quit the limelight to go live in obscurity. But I've yet to see any one of those give up their money.

I Agree!

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

TheMeatman2005's avatar - lightening
            Brooklyn, NY
            United States
            Member #169723
            October 29, 2015
            879 Posts
            Posted: March 7, 2016, 2:42 am - IP Logged

Love makes the world go 'round, but money greases the wheels.

I believe if you weren't happy before coming into a large amount of money, you won't be any happier after becoming rich.

The Meatman

“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” Will Rogers

Winning happens in a flash, Like A Bolt Of Lightning!  Patriot

Tulsa
              United States
              Member #172877
              February 7, 2016
              131 Posts
              Posted: March 7, 2016, 10:35 am - IP Logged

I have friends that say:

1. You will never win the lottery.
              2. Money is not that important.
              3. While at the same time save almost every extra dollar they have.  Afraid to just go out and enjoy things in life.

Now, I'm not the kind of person that is critical with what people choose to do with their money.  However, you can't make someone believe that money is not that important while at the same time turn down opportunities to go out and do things because it costs a little bit of money.  So, in the end, money is pretty darn important and I would love to have a little more of it.