Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can winning the lottery truly buy ultimate happiness?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 9 months ago by GatorShea.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
Member #52345
May 21, 2007
2659 Posts
Posted: March 3, 2016, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

Skeptical

amber123's avatar - OpIFNim

United States
    Member #164727
    March 12, 2015
    2522 Posts
    Posted: March 3, 2016, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

The latest line I've heard is the best of all them put together.  "There are more things that can make you happy than having a lot of money, unfortunately those things require lots of money". 

"Owl icon"

amber123's avatar - OpIFNim

United States
      Member #164727
      March 12, 2015
      2522 Posts
      Posted: March 3, 2016, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

Money is a tool to use. Money itself doesn't create happiness. 

You can use money for things that can reduce/eliminate debts, and purchase things that make your life easier, or for things that you enjoy that entertain you.

I feel like happiness isn't material. No material thing makes the passing of a loved one easier (for me any way). So, I don't see money being a fix-all.

I feel happiness now, and I am not a lottery winner. Are there varied levels of happy? Can you not be ultimately happy without winning a large amount of money? That'd be ultimately crappy!!

I feel happiness now, and I am not a lottery winner. Are there varied levels of happy? Can you not be ultimately happy without winning a large amount of money? That'd be ultimately crappy!!

It would be like permanent depression unless you were rich...lol

My straight jacket would earn it's durability claims..Green laugh

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
        A long and winding road
        United States
        Member #17084
        June 10, 2005
        4526 Posts
        Posted: March 3, 2016, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

You can use money for things that can reduce/eliminate debts, and purchase things that make your life easier, or for things that you enjoy that entertain you.

I feel like happiness isn't material. No material thing makes the passing of a loved one easier (for me any way). So, I don't see money being a fix-all.

well said!

and ditto on the passing of a loved one. No lottery win can replace that person.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

California
          United States
          Member #173431
          March 2, 2016
          37 Posts
          Posted: March 3, 2016, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

Winning the lottery would make me happier because I would be able to spend my time as I wish, but it wouldn't buy ultimate happiness for me.

If I won a huge jackpot and had my name and face plastered all over the news, I would probably worry more about strangers/criminals eyeing my money and my family's safety, not relatives and friends looking for handouts.

Tulsa
            United States
            Member #172877
            February 7, 2016
            131 Posts
            Posted: March 4, 2016, 2:01 am - IP Logged

Many of the people that say that money is not the most important thing are the same people working 60-80 hours a week to get it.

United States
              Member #106134
              February 13, 2011
              806 Posts
              Posted: March 4, 2016, 8:57 am - IP Logged

Yes, I believe lottery will bring me happiness and fix all my problems.

It will enable me to buy time!

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #150273
                December 18, 2013
                495 Posts
                Posted: March 4, 2016, 9:59 am - IP Logged

I think that it's unfortunate that some define their happiness in this life by how much money they have. If your not truly happy without money you won't be truly happy with money. True happiness is how you live your life and who you are, and the gifts of those you have been blessed with in your life which money can not produce or buy.

The most important things in life money has nothing to do with so winning the lottery isn't going to help you because these things can't be bought. A truly happy person will not be changed by coming into a large sum of money as they will see it as a tool and an added blessing to make their daily life easier...not a means to now be truly happy.

True happiness can not be bought..just look at celebrities who have more money then they know what to do with yet they turn to drugs to feel happy because money alone and all the things they can buy with it just doesn't do it. I think we forget that money can also destroy a once happy life as well.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

CALI
                  Afghanistan
                  Member #118735
                  November 6, 2011
                  134 Posts
                  Posted: March 4, 2016, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

Xlent Question...

It is true that... The Affluence of the FEW will inextricably be tied to the Misery of the MANY!

U don't have to be a millionaire to be happy. Many of my associates are quite comfortable being a Thousandaire ($250K + a year).

I have 1 house and don't need 5; also my 1 Ferrari is enough. I definitely don't need a stable of 10+ cars.

Am I happy all the time, <snip> NO! but am I content for the most part, Indeed I am!

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

(HIT THE BIG ONE, OR BUY A SKI MASK)

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: March 5, 2016, 1:48 am - IP Logged

"Money is a tool to use. Money itself doesn't create happiness."

Absolutely. Having plenty of money can eliminate the problems that are caused by not having money, and it can buy things that will provide some happiness, but the money itself can't make you happy. It definitely can't buy absolute happiness, because it can't solve or eliminate everything that can make you unhappy.

I'm inclined to agree with the cliche about a preference to have rich people problems instead of poor people problems, but money can be just as good for making yourself less happy.  Jack Whittaker is a good example. He had plenty of money and plenty of problems before he netted about $100 million, but he really got it going afterwards.

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                      South Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #77167
                      July 15, 2009
                      555 Posts
                      Posted: March 5, 2016, 3:36 am - IP Logged

Yes it can. The idea of never having to worry about money again and finally chasing a dream in life certainly would be happiness for me

People that usually try to say "Money doesn't buy happiness" have usually never actually had to live without money and the struggles that come with it

I Agree! 

People that usually try to say "Money doesn't buy happiness" have usually never actually had to live without money and the struggles that come with it

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

zephbe's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                        South Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #77167
                        July 15, 2009
                        555 Posts
                        Posted: March 5, 2016, 3:47 am - IP Logged

If a person does not think more money would make them happier--why play a lottery in the first place?  The only thing you can win is money-so if it is so unimportant, why play?

Every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.-Rocky Balboa

“Don’t let someone who gave up on their dreams talk you out of going after yours.” – Zig Ziglar

cbr$'s avatar - maren
                          Cordova,Al.
                          United States
                          Member #104482
                          January 15, 2011
                          4900 Posts
                          Posted: March 5, 2016, 10:16 am - IP Logged

No, winning the lottery can't buy ultimate happiness. Money is a means to a end. A tool. Your level of happiness depend on the person. Money is good to use & enjoy.God gets pleasure from our happiness. Happiness glorifies God & uplifts all mankind. A joyous spirit make the world a better place.

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                            Member #169277
                            October 10, 2015
                            630 Posts
                            Posted: March 5, 2016, 10:19 am - IP Logged

If a person does not think more money would make them happier--why play a lottery in the first place?  The only thing you can win is money-so if it is so unimportant, why play?

Happier, yes, I think the freedom that a large chunk of money would bring, would make me happier

But ultimate happiness, whatever that is, no,  that's not for sale.

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
                              Member #165541
                              April 12, 2015
                              541 Posts
                              Posted: March 5, 2016, 10:22 am - IP Logged

Money can't buy you love or happiness.

It can only buy time from the taxman.